Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lol playoff mess
Bookmark and Share
Mad victory Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
Lol playoff mess
Hard to understand this silly 4 team playoff. It is difficult to even watch these talking heads yelling at each other on tv this morning about how to fit 4 “deserving” teams in. Stop calling it a playoff first of all. Stop pretending like this year is a “tough” year for the committee. It will always be a mess. On the flip side Kinda funny thinking about Delaware complaining about not making our massive playoff field when there are confrence champs that will get left out of the four team field. Anyway just thought the “traffic jam” to be included this morning was a great time to reflect on how great the format of the fcs playoffs are. How many snubs will have to happen at the Fbs level before they learn? Hope the field grows soon.
12-03-2017 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol playoff mess
I’m actually very surprised they’ve had their playoff for this long without expanding to eight teams. How many years now is this?
I think the fcs playoffs only had four teams for its first two or three years before expanding to eight.

I know the reason they’re holding out on expansion is because of not wanting to cheapen their bowl system. Bowl sponsors clearly want to fight it. It’s about their survival.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 10:33 AM by Potomac.)
12-03-2017 10:31 AM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

RE: Lol playoff mess
The networks like ESPN love it because it gives them something to continually debate and talk about. Their whole playoff system is based around "chaos" and not finding who the best teams are in a true playoff. It's ridiculous.
12-03-2017 10:33 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
There are already huge fights going on as to who gets left out, Ohio State, Big 10 co-champ or Alabama. When you leave teams of that caliber out of the playoffs, you can expect big grief. I'm shocked they haven't gone to at least 8 teams already.
12-03-2017 10:54 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
maybe this is the year that begins serious talks about an 8-team format. (Guess it's not much to talk about right? 5 P5 auto bids and 3 at large)
12-03-2017 11:13 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2017 10:54 AM)Purple Wrote:  There are already huge fights going on as to who gets left out, Ohio State, Big 10 co-champ or Alabama. When you leave teams of that caliber out of the playoffs, you can expect big grief. I'm shocked they haven't gone to at least 8 teams already.
Ohio State has not only 2 losses, but a 2 TD loss to Oklahoma and were absolutely blown out 55-24 by a 7-5 Iowa team. Auburn (if they had beaten GA in what was a play in game) would have been the only 2 loss team with an arguement.

I think the 4 are pretty cut and dry: Clempson, Oklahoma, Georgia & Bama..
12-03-2017 11:30 AM
Advertisement

jmuduke10 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison U
(12-03-2017 11:13 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  maybe this is the year that begins serious talks about an 8-team format. (Guess it's not much to talk about right? 5 P5 auto bids and 3 at large)
If Bama gets left out, it'll be 8 teams by next year. I'd love to watch UCF get a shot as #8 seed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using CSNbbs mobile app
12-03-2017 11:34 AM
jmuduke10 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison U
(12-03-2017 11:30 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 10:54 AM)Purple Wrote:  There are already huge fights going on as to who gets left out, Ohio State, Big 10 co-champ or Alabama. When you leave teams of that caliber out of the playoffs, you can expect big grief. I'm shocked they haven't gone to at least 8 teams already.
Ohio State has not only 2 losses, but a 2 TD loss to Oklahoma and were absolutely blown out 55-24 by a 7-5 Iowa team. Auburn (if they had beaten GA in what was a play in game) would have been the only 2 loss team with an arguement.

Agreed. Big10 is down this year

12-03-2017 11:36 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

As long as it's 4 teams, there will always be an argument that teams got left out. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of when. I always saw it as a step in the right direction, not the final destination.
I predict that the playoffs will expand to 8 in the next 5 years. Too many good teams are being left out.
I don't feel sorry for any of them at the moment. They are the ones that agreed to this poor compromise.
12-03-2017 12:16 PM
jmu97 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU & UVA
(12-03-2017 12:16 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  As long as it's 4 teams, there will always be an argument that teams got left out. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of when. I always saw it as a step in the right direction, not the final destination.
I predict that the playoffs will expand to 8 in the next 5 years. Too many good teams are being left out.
I don't feel sorry for any of them at the moment. They are the ones that agreed to this poor compromise.

I agree it will expand, but there will always be arguing no matter the number. 68 teams in the basketball tourney and we still get mild outrage when a mediocre P5 team gets in over a mid major with a good record but no quality wins.
12-03-2017 12:33 PM
1998JMU Offline
Bench Warmer

Expanding fbs playoffs to more teams makes logical sense but the bowls are already struggling to keep them as profitable events...will be interesting how it all shakes down in next 2-3 yrs... some fbs programs are barely surviving while some others are a money machine and the divide seems to get bigger each year..
12-03-2017 01:03 PM
Advertisement

Mad victory Offline
1st String

(12-03-2017 12:33 PM)jmu97 Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 12:16 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  As long as it's 4 teams, there will always be an argument that teams got left out. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of when. I always saw it as a step in the right direction, not the final destination.

I agree it will expand, but there will always be arguing no matter the number. 68 teams in the basketball tourney and we still get mild outrage when a mediocre P5 team gets in over a mid major with a good record but no quality wins.

This is true about b-ball teams getting left out, however those teams usually have no chance of winning the tourney they just feel like they deserve to be included. With the football playoffs there are teams that will be left out of the 4 team deal that would have “reasonable” chances of winning. Make it just big enough for those teams ( in my opinion 8) and the arguments about those left out will be less about potential champions and more about “deserving” to play in the tourney.
12-03-2017 01:14 PM
19Duke97 Offline
2nd String

Except for the fact that Alabama beat no one of consequence. If that's the bar then UCF should be in the hunt at least. They beat exactly the same number of top 20 teams.
12-03-2017 01:16 PM
19Duke97 Offline
2nd String

(12-03-2017 11:36 AM)jmuduke10 Wrote:  

Agreed. Big10 is down this year

If the Big Ten is down why do they have three teams in the top 10? Eight is the correct number, even in the FCS playoffs we've seen how it's watered down at 24
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 01:20 PM by 19Duke97.)
12-03-2017 01:18 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

There'll always be debate about who gets left out no matter how many teams, but if they go to 16 then come on, anyone that gets left out wasn't going to win it all. I think 16 seems just right in my book, but even eight would be a huge improvement.

As a Gators fan, the playoff size debate always makes me think of 2006. Leading up to the end of the season, Florida had one loss to Auburn and Florida's AD(or maybe president? I don't remember for sure) was leading the way for a group of schools to propose a playoff instead of just the top two in the BCS rankings.

It ended up pretty much of a toss up between Florida and Michigan to play undefeated Ohio State, but Florida got in and of course stomped the Buckeyes... I thought it was a perfect example of why a playoff was needed, the clear best team almost got left out and many thought they should've been left out until they proved it on the field. I thought the Gators would use it to show how badly the BCS system almost screwed up. Instead, Florida went "Oh hey we won, nevermind, we're cool with the way things are!" 03-lmfao

Always makes me wonder, though, if things would look different now had the defending champion gone through in leading the way saying we need to change how we get that champion instead of scrapping it all.
12-03-2017 01:20 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol playoff mess
(12-03-2017 01:16 PM)19Duke97 Wrote:  

Except for the fact that Alabama beat no one of consequence. If that's the bar then UCF should be in the hunt at least. They beat exactly the same number of top 20 teams.

The SEC is the MVFC of FBS. By simply playing your conference schedule, you’re playing top 10 programs ever single week. Haven’t you learned this yet?
12-03-2017 02:19 PM
Advertisement

DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

It’s going to be a 4 team playoff for 6 more seasons. I think the contract is through 2023.
12-03-2017 02:21 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol playoff mess
(12-03-2017 02:21 PM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  It’s going to be a 4 team playoff for 6 more seasons. I think the contract is through 2023.

Contracts can be adjusted if the involved parties are willing to do so.
12-03-2017 02:24 PM
19Duke97 Offline
2nd String

(12-03-2017 02:19 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 01:16 PM)19Duke97 Wrote:  

The SEC is the MVFC of FBS. By simply playing your conference schedule, you’re playing top 10 programs ever single week. Haven’t you learned this yet?
I seriously hope that sarcasm because the SEC didn't fare too well against out of conference opponents that were FBS this year sans a win by Alabama over a pathetic Florida State team.
12-03-2017 03:45 PM
QuinDuke Offline
Special Teams

The Ohio State fans in my TL (wife was friends with a bunch before we met) are incensed that Bama played Mercer, while their Buckeyes didn’t stoop to playing a D2 school.
12-03-2017 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.