Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wilton Speight? More like Wilton Debate? AMIRITE?
Bookmark and Share
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Wilton Speight? More like Wilton Debate? AMIRITE?
Wilton Speight just announced he is transferring from UM. Shane Morris worked out ok for CMU. Do we want Speight at EMU?
11-27-2017 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Wilton Speight? More like Wilton Debate? AMIRITE?
I saw that and thought of posting.

My GUESS is that he'll get big time offers and MAC schools won't have a chance.

Other than them being at UofM not much similarities between Morris and Speight (and Speight isn't a Michigan native, he's from Virginia).

I have NO idea if UVa, or even another ACC school or even Maryland (yes, I know B1G school) are possible schools for him.
11-27-2017 09:01 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear dansplaining,
Absolutely not. We already tried that with the quarterback from Pennsylvania State a few years ago, and that did not work out. Plus neck injury. We have a few quarterbacks that will fill the bill. We don't need a U-M castaway.
11-27-2017 09:10 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

No way. He's not that good and he's coming off injury. I'm looking forward to seeing the read option.
11-27-2017 09:25 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(11-27-2017 09:10 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear dansplaining,
Absolutely not. We already tried that with the quarterback from Pennsylvania State a few years ago, and that did not work out. Plus neck injury. We have a few quarterbacks that will fill the bill. We don't need a U-M castaway.

Rob Bolden and Wilton Speight are TOTALLY different situations. For one Speight has been playing QB for the last three years and not being pushed as a WR.

For me it comes down to who is a better QB? Morris or Speight? It seems to be the same type of situations and hello - CMU is going bowling.
11-27-2017 09:43 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-27-2017 09:43 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 09:10 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear dansplaining,

Rob Bolden and Wilton Speight are TOTALLY different situations. For one Speight has been playing QB for the last three years and not being pushed as a WR.

For me it comes down to who is a better QB? Morris or Speight? It seems to be the same type of situations and hello - CMU is going bowling.

Rob Bolden and Wilton Speight don't belong in the same sentence.

Bolden was the type of B1G player who falls to the MAC because he can't play in the B1G. Folks have a bad, bad habit of assuming that ALL B1G players can play in the MAC. Those who don't make a B1G 2-deep may not be able to play in the B1G or MAC. As E'Tough will probably tell you, the B1G (and others) make a LOT of recruiting mistakes. They sometimes recruit kids and they put on their pads and folks say "What, how did he get a scholarship?"

Speight is a good B1G QB.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 10:19 AM by emu steve.)
11-27-2017 10:17 AM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Rob Bolden STARTED at Penn State as a true freshman and had a strong freshman year. Unfortunately, Bolden got his butt kicked at EMU because he was surrounded by a really bad team. He probably should have gone to CMU or WMU.
11-27-2017 10:27 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear dansplaining,
Central got lucky down the stretch. We should have beaten them, and almost did, even with five interceptions. I don't think having a one shot quarterback does anything for your team overall. Morris' stats aren't that great either. We'll see what they do in their bowl game.
Bolden was used as a quarterback at Eastern regardless of what happened at Pennsylvania State. What has Central been doing with Poljan? Playing him as a wide receiver. So, I guess they will want to pick up Speight.
11-27-2017 10:29 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-27-2017 10:27 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Rob Bolden STARTED at Penn State as a true freshman and had a strong freshman year. Unfortunately, Bolden got his butt kicked at EMU because he was surrounded by a really bad team. He probably should have gone to CMU or WMU.

He was part of the reason we were a really bad team. Poor decision making, poor accuracy. Wasn't a MAC-caliber QB, much less a B1G. And he didn't have a "strong season" at Penn State. He had 5 TDs and 7 INTs, and averaged 7 yards per completion his freshman year. That's not good. We took a gamble on him because of his talent, but it just didn't work out.

Speight is a better QB, and I think would be fine in the MAC. I wouldn't mind it if he came here.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 10:43 AM by EagleSam.)
11-27-2017 10:43 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I am all for a grad transfer QB as long as that QB has thrown a pass in any of the previous three seasons (Bolden was a WR at LSU).
11-27-2017 11:32 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-27-2017 10:43 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 10:27 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Rob Bolden STARTED at Penn State as a true freshman and had a strong freshman year. Unfortunately, Bolden got his butt kicked at EMU because he was surrounded by a really bad team. He probably should have gone to CMU or WMU.

He was part of the reason we were a really bad team. Poor decision making, poor accuracy. Wasn't a MAC-caliber QB, much less a B1G. And he didn't have a "strong season" at Penn State. He had 5 TDs and 7 INTs, and averaged 7 yards per completion his freshman year. That's not good. We took a gamble on him because of his talent, but it just didn't work out.

Speight is a better QB, and I think would be fine in the MAC. I wouldn't mind it if he came here.

Bolden was an athlete, not a FBS QB.

This is a nice thread, but probably much ado about nothing. I'd bet dollar to donuts that he ends up at a P5 school.

He'd be GREAT at EMU. He could work behind an advancing OL with good MAC caliber RBs with a very, very good defense.

Speight might make us a possible co-favorite to win the MAC West.

My guess we are an impact QB from contending for a trip to Ford Field.

I have no trouble with a frosh QB but not on a team which is a potential contender full of upper classman in both the OL and DL.

Win NOW!! We are not in rebuild mode going for 2019 or 2020.
11-27-2017 11:50 AM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(11-27-2017 11:50 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Bolden was an athlete, not a FBS QB.

This is a nice thread, but probably much ado about nothing. I'd bet dollar to donuts that he ends up at a P5 school.

He'd be GREAT at EMU. He could work behind an advancing OL with good MAC caliber RBs with a very, very good defense.

Speight might make us a possible co-favorite to win the MAC West.

My guess we are an impact QB from contending for a trip to Ford Field.

I have no trouble with a frosh QB but not on a team which is a potential contender full of upper classman in both the OL and DL.

Win NOW!! We are not in rebuild mode going for 2019 or 2020.
Agree Steve, but I think we need a couple JUCO WRs and a punter.
11-27-2017 12:04 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I think it's worth paying attention to any QBs that decide to grad transfer. EMU would be a pretty cushy landing spot
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 12:07 PM by dansplaining.)
11-27-2017 12:06 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
(11-27-2017 10:29 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear dansplaining,
Central got lucky down the stretch. We should have beaten them, and almost did, even with five interceptions. I don't think having a one shot quarterback does anything for your team overall. Morris' stats aren't that great either. We'll see what they do in their bowl game.
Bolden was used as a quarterback at Eastern regardless of what happened at Pennsylvania State. What has Central been doing with Poljan? Playing him as a wide receiver. So, I guess they will want to pick up Speight.

My god here we go again. CMU got lucky down the stretch....yeah real lucky to win 5 straight games. Real lucky to beat NIU, WMU, and EMU. My guess is if that game were flipped, you would be saying how EMU destroyed CMU and took their foot off the gas and let them back in it. As for "let's see what they do in the bowl game".....why? So the fact that CMU finished 8-4 and the 2nd best team in the MAC isn't enough? My guess is if we lose our bowl game you will be leading the charge against about how bad we suck while EMU sits at home and hangs their hat on "well we lost close games".

Morris' stats aren't great? He is about to set the CMU record for TD passes in a season when we've had a few QBs make it to the NFL. As for Poljan, he is a Freshman if you aren't aware. He has taken between 50-75 snaps for us. We used him as a WR considering our top receiving threats were out for 5 games. Which goes back to my original point, Morris would have even better stats had we not had a bunch of backups playing at WR. Stay salty.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 01:46 PM by george14.)
11-27-2017 01:44 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
(11-27-2017 01:44 PM)george14 Wrote:  My god here we go again.

no one asked you to read this or comment on it. please reconsider the "we".
11-27-2017 01:56 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(11-27-2017 01:56 PM)EMUAARON Wrote:  

Exactly, my god this guy is insecure! 03-lmfao
11-27-2017 02:18 PM
Advertisement

EagleTough Offline
All American

Absolutely NO on Speight!!!! We have plenty of options and a great QB battle set for next year. Also need to incorporate the QB run option, and Speight looks like Tom Brady Jr. trying to run.

Not the mention the accuracy problems and injury history. No, no, no.
11-27-2017 02:21 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

Classic special Bob....trying to blame EMU because Bolden sucked!

Anybody else notice how special Bob magically disappeared as we won our last 2 games? 03-lmfao
11-27-2017 02:24 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(11-27-2017 01:56 PM)EMUAARON Wrote:  

Please take the next exit ramp George 14
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 02:50 PM by emu79.)
11-27-2017 02:49 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(11-27-2017 01:44 PM)george14 Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 10:29 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear dansplaining,

My god here we go again. CMU got lucky down the stretch....yeah real lucky to win 5 straight games. Real lucky to beat NIU, WMU, and EMU. My guess is if that game were flipped, you would be saying how EMU destroyed CMU and took their foot off the gas and let them back in it. As for "let's see what they do in the bowl game".....why? So the fact that CMU finished 8-4 and the 2nd best team in the MAC isn't enough? My guess is if we lose our bowl game you will be leading the charge against about how bad we suck while EMU sits at home and hangs their hat on "well we lost close games".

Morris' stats aren't great? He is about to set the CMU record for TD passes in a season when we've had a few QBs make it to the NFL. As for Poljan, he is a Freshman if you aren't aware. He has taken between 50-75 snaps for us. We used him as a WR considering our top receiving threats were out for 5 games. Which goes back to my original point, Morris would have even better stats had we not had a bunch of backups playing at WR. Stay salty.
CMU must be the luckiest team ever! Jeez, credit where credit is due, Morris had a good season and if he was EMU's QB, we'd be 8-4.
11-27-2017 03:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.