Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

3 NBE teams ranked in Top 25
Bookmark and Share
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Not bad for a pathetic BCS Conference. The reason I threw Louisville in with the Big East is because their ranking for BCS purposes will be used by the Big East in 2007. The same with Boston College ranked for the ACC. Here is the link.

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings' target='_blank'>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings</a>
11-28-2004 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

The 21st ranked team is going to a BCS bowl.

That's what is pathetic. And that team damn near lost to Furman.
11-28-2004 02:22 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

The same ranking as the Purdue Boilermakers when the represented the Big 10 in the Rose Bowl. Where was your outrage Knight Time earlier this decade.

What about Florida State who went to the Sugar Bowl with a 8-4 record and a loss to Louisville. Again were was your outrage Knight Time. This will not be the first or last time a low ranking BCS School receives a bid.
11-28-2004 02:24 PM
Coog2Knight518 Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Maize you're pathetic. Why don't you call a spade a spade, like any true fan of college football? You're perceptions are shaped by agenda... So, why should anyone listen to what you have to say? The fact that you think Pitt or Syracuse deserve a bid over Texas or any legit team means your school's experience as a non-bcs team was lost on you.

Pud.
11-28-2004 10:12 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Coog2Knight518 Wrote:Maize you're pathetic. Why don't you call a spade a spade, like any true fan of college football? You're perceptions are shaped by agenda... So, why should anyone listen to what you have to say? The fact that you think Pitt or Syracuse deserve a bid over Texas or any legit team means your school's experience as a non-bcs team was lost on you.

Pud.
My only question is this, where was the outrage when a undeserving Purdue team went to the Rose Bowl over other more qualified teams. Where was the outrage when a 8-4 Florida State went to the Sugar Bowl over other schools. Both years the ACC and Big 10 were in the same boat as the Big East is today yet I don't remember any of the whining, b!tching and moaning I hear now, especially from the talking heads at ESPN.

If it was up to me I would like to see it settle on the field with a 16 team playoff. It would consist of the 11 Conference Champs and 5 at large schools. But it will never happen because of money. Just remember this is not the first time a conference is going to send a team that doesn't deserve to go to the BCS and it will not be the last. That is just the way the system is set up.
11-28-2004 10:18 PM
O'LearyIsGod Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Go post this junk on the Big Yeast board.....
11-28-2004 10:47 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Don't be mad because you went 0-11. Especially as much as you have bashed USF and the rest of the departing members of C-USA.
11-28-2004 10:57 PM
non registered user Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

There WAS outrage in some circles when those teams made the BCS.
The difference is that Purdue and FSU at least played a reputable conference schedule.

BE is not a reputable conference and none of the teams in it this year or most years are worthy of an automatic bid. Under the old pre-BCS system, none of these teams would be considered for the BCS bowls without a record (9-2 or better against good competition) worthy of being in a New Year's Day game.

The system will correct itself soon enough.

Maize, you also are greatly misinterpreting the quotes from the BCS teleconference. Louisville's ranking this year WILL NOT be carried over to the NBE.
11-28-2004 11:36 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Flying Mouse Wrote:There WAS outrage in some circles when those teams made the BCS.
The difference is that Purdue and FSU at least played a reputable conference schedule.

BE is not a reputable conference and none of the teams in it this year or most years are worthy of an automatic bid. Under the old pre-BCS system, none of these teams would be considered for the BCS bowls without a record (9-2 or better against good competition) worthy of being in a New Year's Day game.

The system will correct itself soon enough.

Maize, you also are greatly misinterpreting the quotes from the BCS teleconference. Louisville's ranking this year WILL NOT be carried over to the NBE.
This is the exact quote:

Kevin Weiberg: Well I think the way we're talking about it at this point, Kelly, is that we would really plan to not have an evaluation of AQ status until we've gone through an additional four-year period. So the two years of the remaining BCS structure, and the two years of any new structure. And of course that assumes that there is a new structure rolling forward here at some point.

But that is the way we have talked about it. And it would also include a review of teams that are part of the conference at the time of the evaluation. So as conference realignment continues to play out, conferences are going to get credit for the performance of teams that are migrating or moving in to their conference. That's another important element of the consideration as we go forward.

He is IMO saying the review will include a reviews of teams that are part of the conference at the time of the evaluation. Now he has already said they will not review any conference until basically after 2007 season. He also stated in the last paragraph that the performance of team that are migrating-(Louisville/Boston College fit that profile this year) are going to get credit for that schools performance. Where did I misunderstand what he said. Please tell me.
11-28-2004 11:51 PM
Heisman

I Root For:

He and others affiliated with the BCS later clarified that this is probably NOT how it will be done. I'll try to find some links for you when I have time. It most likely will not be carried over. Especially after what has happened this year. They want the Big East OUT as quickly as possible.

Everybody in America wants the Big East out except people in the Big East.

When Pitt delivers a rating lower than half the minimum payout bowls and brings about 5K to the Fiesta, that auto bid will be over as quickly as the bowl execs finish spooning down the Pepto Bismol. For BE sake, they better hope Pitt goes to the Sugar to play Auburn, where Auburn can at least sell all the tickets and save the TV rating.
11-29-2004 12:01 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Flying Mouse Wrote:He and others affiliated with the BCS later clarified that this is probably NOT how it will be done. I'll try to find some links for you when I have time. It most likely will not be carried over. Especially after what has happened this year. They want the Big East OUT as quickly as possible.

Everybody in America wants the Big East out except people in the Big East.

When Pitt delivers a rating lower than half the minimum payout bowls and brings about 5K to the Fiesta, that auto bid will be over as quickly as the bowl execs finish spooning down the Pepto Bismol. For BE sake, they better hope Pitt goes to the Sugar to play Auburn, where Auburn can at least sell all the tickets and save the TV rating.
On that you have to show me because I went straight to the BCS Home page and nothing like this is on there.

Also if they don't do that then the ACC has some major problems right now. You know that as well as I do.
11-29-2004 12:05 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>YAWN</span></span>
11-29-2004 12:09 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Well Wilke the statement Flying Mouse made is no where on the media outlets or BCS news on the official site. The only thing I could find is that it looks like they will be tweaking the AQ Conferences from a Top 12 Finish to a Overall Conference strength model which was purposed if I am not mistaken by Mike Transghese.

Until he comes up with actual proof then I will have to go with what Weilberg has stated. All I know is that no review of any conference until 2007 which give the Big East and more importantly for the BCS the ACC time to get their rankings up. What would be funny is if Colorado and Tennessee wins this weekend and they are stuck with two more low ranking AQ BCS Conference teams.
11-29-2004 12:14 AM
Heisman

I Root For:

Those teams like Tennessee and Colorado would have earned their way in through legitimate competition and will be accepted as such by the public. Those teams will deliver fans and ratings regardless of record, though all of the bowls cringe whenever Colorado is involved because they don't travel well, either. They want Nebraska, Oklahoma Texas, but they will accept the others on occassion because a Big 12 team will have had to beat legit teams to get there.

Same is not true of the NBE, where the winner is viewed with only slightly more regard and respect as the MAC champ.
11-29-2004 12:28 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Tennessee travels, Pitt doesn't and for the sake of the Big East they better this year. I would have been more comfortable with WVU had they won the Big East because the whole state of West Virginia would have been in Tempe.

What I would find funny is that it would completely screw up the BCS if that happened. You would have teams well outside the Top 12 to join the Big East Champ while schools like Texas, Cal and Georgia would be screwed.

You could have said the same about the ACC 2 years ago. In reality the ACC along with the Big 10 has been very overrated this year.

It is all about market, fan travel and TV ratings but the BCS games outside of the BCS Title game have been falling since it started. A Pitt-Utah game will not be that much different then a Michigan-Cal game because every game outside of the BCS Title game is meaningless. And in 2 years we will have another meaningless game with either BCS At Large teams or Coalition teams playing in those game.
11-29-2004 12:34 AM
Heisman

I Root For:

<B>It is all about market, fan travel and TV ratings but the BCS games outside of the BCS Title game have been falling since it started. A Pitt-Utah game will not be that much different then a Michigan-Cal game because every game outside of the BCS Title game is meaningless.</B>

That's why they want NBE gone ... If it's going to be a "meaningless" game, they'd much rather it be a meaningless game involving a Texas than a UConn or heaven forbid a South Florida or Rutgers ... They (the bowls) are already being forced to take a coalition team against their wishes ... NBE gives them another coalition level team in terms of appeal. ....

As I said earlier, the NBE's inevitable demotion actually will not be good for C-USA and the rest of the coaltion. It'll just mean they are competing with the NBE for that 1 guaranteed slot, and the NBE teams will be the favorite to get that slot most years ....
11-29-2004 12:45 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

This is where we completely disagree. I don't think the BCS is going to get rid of anyone. JMO they will add a Automatic Bid before they would take one away. We both agree it is a meaningless game but it is a game that is already paid for through 2010/2014.

The Coalition put a major scare in the BCS this past spring and again JMO they will add more teams then subtract and allow themselves to be outnumbered.

As for the Big East as long as we perform on the field we will be fine. Louisville, West Virginia and Pittsburgh should be very good for the next couple of years and as long as we meet the requirements we are in just like every other BCS Conference. If we don't then they could have cause to kick us out. We will find out in about 3 years.
11-29-2004 01:00 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

can someone tell me why Pitt is ranked? How is that possible?
11-29-2004 01:03 AM
BigBigCat
Unregistered

Maize Wrote:If it was up to me I would like to see it settle on the field with a 16 team playoff. It would consist of the 11 Conference Champs and 5 at large schools.
This is the same thing I've wanted for a while. But, it makes too much sense, so it will never happen.
11-29-2004 01:07 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

I love watching all these NCUSA fans hate on the Big East. I'll call it BE envy.
11-29-2004 09:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.