Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Childers-Harnish Comparison
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Childers-Harnish Comparison
The game notes for CMU include an interesting comparison of Childers and Harnish as redshirt freshmen. I don't know how to cut and paste that here so I would appreciate it if someone could do that, but suffice it to say that Childers looks pretty good in comparison.
11-22-2017 06:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
RE: Childers-Harnish Comparison
(11-22-2017 06:09 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  The game notes for CMU include an interesting comparison of Childers and Harnish as redshirt freshmen. I don't know how to cut and paste that here so I would appreciate it if someone could do that, but suffice it to say that Childers looks pretty good in comparison.

That pass Harnish made at MN as a FR cant be matched. 326 yards 17-30.... Should have won that night.
11-22-2017 06:18 PM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
(11-22-2017 06:09 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  The game notes for CMU include an interesting comparison of Childers and Harnish as redshirt freshmen. I don't know how to cut and paste that here so I would appreciate it if someone could do that, but suffice it to say that Childers looks pretty good in comparison.

I must wholeheartedly disagree. Childers looks nothing like Harnish. Harnish had an arm - could make an accurate long pass. Childers...well ...does not.

Chandler Harnish goes in the record books as one of the all-time Huskie greats.
11-22-2017 07:38 PM
murph83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Flattering to compare Childers to Harnish, but the redshirt freshman has a long, long way to go.
11-22-2017 07:55 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(11-22-2017 07:38 PM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  

I must wholeheartedly disagree. Childers looks nothing like Harnish. Harnish had an arm - could make an accurate long pass. Childers...well ...does not.

Harnish also had luxury of playing with some of best wide receivers NIU has ever had
11-22-2017 07:55 PM
Djud Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU

Great post; Harnish was our best QB (emphasis on QB) ever; Lynch was the best given our system. Harnish did indeed have a strong, accurate arm; he also became a very effective runner. What’s interesting is he struggles with INTs and decision making early in his career. In a 6 game span his freshman season, he went 83-152 (54%) and had 9 INTs. Glad they stuck with him; he’s now a legend.
11-22-2017 07:57 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-22-2017 07:57 PM)Djud Wrote:  

Great post; Harnish was our best QB (emphasis on QB) ever; Lynch was the best given our system. Harnish did indeed have a strong, accurate arm; he also became a very effective runner. What’s interesting is he struggles with INTs and decision making early in his career. In a 6 game span his freshman season, he went 83-152 (54%) and had 9 INTs. Glad they stuck with him; he’s now a legend.

Harnish had Trouble in big games. If I had to take one huskie into a big game , it would hands down be Jordan lynch
11-22-2017 08:01 PM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU

Wish they (Carey & coaches) would give Santa a chance to develop. HE has an arm. I wonder if he could have become one of the Huskie greats.
11-22-2017 08:01 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-22-2017 08:01 PM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  

Wish they (Carey & coaches) would give Santa a chance to develop. HE has an arm. I wonder if he could have become one of the Huskie greats.

He just has nowhere near the skills of childers
11-22-2017 08:02 PM
Ka-Ching! Guy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Saw this table also. I've been keeping a spreadsheet comparing several MAC QBs with data from similar stages of development--mostly freshman years. Interesting comparisons. Don't have it on this computer or else I would share.
[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_11_22_at_7_35_57_PM.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 08:52 PM by Ka-Ching! Guy.)
11-22-2017 08:47 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(11-22-2017 08:01 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Harnish had Trouble in big games. If I had to take one huskie into a big game , it would hands down be Jordan lynch

We go MUCH deeper in the Orange Bowl with Harnish. MUCH....probably to the wire.
11-22-2017 10:56 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-22-2017 10:56 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  

We go MUCH deeper in the Orange Bowl with Harnish. MUCH....probably to the wire.

Good lord no. Memories of USF ouch
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 11:11 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
11-22-2017 11:10 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(11-22-2017 11:10 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 07:38 PM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  I must wholeheartedly disagree. Childers looks nothing like Harnish. Harnish had an arm - could make an accurate long pass. Childers...well ...does not.

JDud’s post was that Harnish was the better QB. In the Orange Bowl, our “system” wasn’t going to beat them. Harnish would have gotten us deeper in that game.

For everything Jordan did for this institution Harnish was the better QB. One of them lasted a few years in the NFL—as a QB, one lasted a couple months, not sniffing QB.

Both great, great NIU players—and Lynch probably even greater—but Harnish was the better QB.
11-22-2017 11:19 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-22-2017 11:19 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 07:57 PM)Djud Wrote:  Great post; Harnish was our best QB (emphasis on QB) ever; Lynch was the best given our system. Harnish did indeed have a strong, accurate arm; he also became a very effective runner. What’s interesting is he struggles with INTs and decision making early in his career. In a 6 game span his freshman season, he went 83-152 (54%) and had 9 INTs. Glad they stuck with him; he’s now a legend.

JDud’s post was that Harnish was the better QB. In the Orange Bowl, our “system” wasn’t going to beat them. Harnish would have gotten us deeper in that game.

For everything Jordan did for this institution Harnish was the better QB. One of them lasted a few years in the NFL—�as a QB, one lasted a couple months, not sniffing QB.

Both great, great NIU players—�and Lynch probably even greater—�but Harnish was the better QB.

Whatever you want to call it if I could pick one man to take into a big game , lynch hands down
11-22-2017 11:21 PM
NIU17 Offline
All American

(11-22-2017 08:02 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 08:01 PM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  

He just has nowhere near the skills of childers
What skills? Santa has shown to be a better passer.
11-23-2017 12:08 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies

You're remembering junior/senior Chandler Harnish. Redshirt freshman Harnish had a 57% completion pctg, 8 TDs and 9 interceptions for the year. He missed receivers deep regularly. Most of his completions went to TEs and FBs. It was very similar in his sophomore year.

There were a lot of people who were completely ready to jump ship on Harnish after his sophomore year... then he took a huge step forward and became a Vern Smith level QB.
11-23-2017 01:32 AM
Advertisement

nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

INTERESTING DATA: as freshmen - In six games apiece childers has thrown alot more passes than harnish with one game to go.
11-23-2017 02:32 AM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(11-22-2017 11:21 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 11:19 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 08:01 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Harnish had Trouble in big games. If I had to take one huskie into a big game , it would hands down be Jordan lynch

For everything Jordan did for this institution Harnish was the better QB. One of them lasted a few years in the NFL—�as a QB, one lasted a couple months, not sniffing QB.

Both great, great NIU players—�and Lynch probably even greater—�but Harnish was the better QB.

Whatever you want to call it if I could pick one man to take into a big game , lynch hands down

When they were both on the team at the same time---Harnish was the quarterback. You play the better player. If Lynch were better QB as a freshman (Childers), sophomore (Santa), or whatever, he would have been playing ahead of Harnish.
11-23-2017 08:42 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(11-23-2017 01:32 AM)cawoo22 Wrote:  

You're remembering junior/senior Chandler Harnish. Redshirt freshman Harnish had a 57% completion pctg, 8 TDs and 9 interceptions for the year. He missed receivers deep regularly. Most of his completions went to TEs and FBs. It was very similar in his sophomore year.

There were a lot of people who were completely ready to jump ship on Harnish after his sophomore year... then he took a huge step forward and became a Vern Smith level QB.

^ This.

After the 2009 season, I don’t think anyone, including Jerry Kill, thought Chandler was gonna be the QB that would lead NIU to 11-win seasons in 2010 and 2011. He made a huge progression. Harnish led the Huskies to some big wins. In 2010, there was the throttling of Minnesota and the bowl win in Boise after Kill left. In 2011, there was the 63-60 win over Toledo, the clutch performance in Detroit after we were down 20-0 and the win in Mobile. Harnish showed incredible leadership after the 2-3 start to the 2011 season, rallying the Huskies to nine straight wins.

I expect progression from Childers in the next three years. Will he get to the level of 2010-2011 Harnish? Probably not, but Childers can still be a very effective QB in the NIU system. Childers has SIX starts in his career. Give him a chance to develop.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2017 09:14 AM by huskiebob.)
11-23-2017 09:13 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

One thing I like about Childers which reminds me somewhat of Lynch is the competitive nature. You could rattle Harnish somewhat through physical domination. I remember a game against Toledo in Toledo before the 63-60 game where Toledo pulled out some dirty play and took Harnish out of the game. Childers seems to be a blend of the Lynch-Harnish model. I think that competitive drive and refusal to be denied goes a long way and can be understated, Childers seems to have that ingredient.
11-23-2017 09:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.