Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

An analysis of Arkansas-MS State.... CFP style
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
An analysis of Arkansas-MS State.... CFP style
Did I miss something? I surely did. Is this current Arkansas team some sort of a power to be reckoned with?

Their season so far includes wins against:
Fl A&M 49-7....currently a 3 win team
Coastal Carolina 39-38...... currently a 2 win team
NM State 42-24....currently a 4 win team
Ole Miss 38-37..... currently a 5 win team

We all know that there is P5 bias. I get it....... but at least make it believable and don't contradict yourself if your one single job is to do serious rankings and analyze all the games.

Last week's rankings, a 3 loss MS State is ranked behind an undefeated UCF. this weekend, both UCF and MS State win. UCF wins against Temple in Philly handily 45-19. MS State wins on a last second score against that Arkansas team whose horrific season is listed above.

So my question is, why on GOD's green Earth did they jump UCF? If the committee thought that MS State's resume as a 3 loss team is better than UCF factoring in the close loss to Alabama and the win against LSU...... then why were they not ranked ahead of UCF last week? What was the argument to jump UCF this week? What warranted the jump? MS State's close win against a horrible Arkansas and a blowout by UCF against Temple should do just the opposite.

Yes, one can just discount it as P5 bias.......one can even say that all they care about is positioning the top 4........however, they still have a job to do and the positioning of the G5 champ is their second job........ they should at least act competent doing it...... its not that hard.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2017 08:21 PM by otown.)
11-21-2017 08:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AubTiger16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Auburn/SEC
RE: An analysis of Arkansas-MS State.... CFP style
(11-21-2017 08:01 PM)otown Wrote:  Did I miss something? I surely did. Is this current Arkansas team some sort of a power to be reckoned with?

We all know that there is P5 bias. I get it....... but at least make it believable and don't contradict yourself if your one single job is to do serious rankings and analyze all the games.

Last week's rankings, a 3 loss MS State is ranked behind an undefeated UCF. this weekend, both UCF and MS State win. UCF wins against Temple in Philly handily 45-19. MS State wins on a last second score against that Arkansas team whose horrific season is listed above.

So my question is, why on GOD's green Earth did they jump UCF? If the committee thought that MS State's resume as a 3 loss team is better than UCF factoring in the close loss to Alabama and the win against LSU...... then why were they not ranked ahead of UCF last week? What was the argument to jump UCF this week? What warranted the jump? MS State's close win against a horrible Arkansas and a blowout by UCF against Temple should do just the opposite.

Yes, one can just discount it as P5 bias.......one can even say that all they care about is positioning the top 4........however, they still have a job to do and the positioning of the G5 champ is their second job........ they should at least act competent doing it...... its not that hard.

Not sure what the committee is doing. Mississippi States 3 losses are against the current #1, #6, and #7 teams in the CFP Poll but that was the same as last week.

Maybe it was because Maryland lost again, and UCFs best win Memphis' ooc schedule took another hit with the UCLA loss. Navy put up a decent enough effort against Notre Dame but still lost. That's about the only thing I can think of is all of that taking place. FIU got skull drug by FAU.

That's probably the validation. Almost every single one of UCFs wins took a hit and UCFs SoS was already really bad to begin with.

They didn't drop them. Just left them where they were. Clearly the top G5 team in the poll still.

It's not about a 1 week or game by game deal with the committee. It's based on the entire body of work.

Also, Mississippi State would also be 10-0 against UCFs schedule but would UCF be 8-3 against Mississippi States schedule?

@ #6 Auburn
@ #7 Georgia
#1 Alabama
@ Texas A&M
#18 LSU
Kentucky
@ Arkansas

Personally, I don't see it. I see at best UCF at 7-4 at worst 5-6 possibly in the middle of that at 6-5.

I'm not the committee though. So other than the losses by UCFs opponents everything else was pretty much the same.
11-21-2017 08:51 PM
otown Offline
All American

(11-21-2017 08:51 PM)AubTiger16 Wrote:  
(11-21-2017 08:01 PM)otown Wrote:  Did I miss something? I surely did. Is this current Arkansas team some sort of a power to be reckoned with?

Not sure what the committee is doing. Mississippi States 3 losses are against the current #1, #6, and #7 teams in the CFP Poll but that was the same as last week.

Maybe it was because Maryland lost again, and UCFs best win Memphis' ooc schedule took another hit with the UCLA loss. Navy put up a decent enough effort against Notre Dame but still lost. That's about the only thing I can think of is all of that taking place. FIU got skull drug by FAU.

That's probably the validation. Almost every single one of UCFs wins took a hit and UCFs SoS was already really bad to begin with.

They didn't drop them. Just left them where they were. Clearly the top G5 team in the poll still.

It's not about a 1 week or game by game deal with the committee. It's based on the entire body of work.

Also, Mississippi State would also be 10-0 against UCFs schedule but would UCF be 8-3 against Mississippi States schedule?

@ #6 Auburn
@ #7 Georgia
#1 Alabama
@ Texas A&M
#18 LSU
Kentucky
@ Arkansas

Personally, I don't see it. I see at best UCF at 7-4 at worst 5-6 possibly in the middle of that at 6-5.

I'm not the committee though. So other than the losses by UCFs opponents everything else was pretty much the same.

Good analysis, but I still think it was a little ballsy of them to do it based off of that flimsy argument of what secondary and tertiary teams did on UCF's previous schedule when the giant white elephant in the room sitting on their lap was MS State struggling against Arkansas.

As far as UCF's record if they played MS State's schedule thus far...... I can see them with 2-4 losses. Can't really put a finger on it. I believe we will have a lot more info to go on since they will play a highly ranked team in the Peach bowl if they make it that far..... most likely Auburn or Georgia....... so should be a common opponent.

I tell you one thing, if the crazy thing happens and UCF destroys the Peach bowl opponent (such as a one loss Georgia, etc), the committee as well as the rest of the country are gonna scratch their heads about whether they should have included UCF in the top 4 if they allow 2 loss teams in the playoffs. This actually may change the dynamic of future rankings. There has never been an undefeated team run the table and put an exclamation point on a win in the NY6 that was left out of the playoffs during the CFP era. Certainly would change the conversation going forward.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2017 09:05 PM by otown.)
11-21-2017 09:01 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-21-2017 08:01 PM)otown Wrote:  So my question is, why on GOD's green Earth did they jump UCF? If the committee thought that MS State's resume as a 3 loss team is better than UCF factoring in the close loss to Alabama and the win against LSU...... then why were they not ranked ahead of UCF last week?

Seriously, why do you care? How on earth does it matter whether UCF is ranked #14 or #15?

I could see this mattering to a P5 team, like say Oklahoma State, because a P5 team ranked around #15 needs to get into the top 12 or so to get in to an NY6 bowl, so in that case, #14 or #15 could make all the difference.

But UCF? Thanks to the CFP version of Affirmative Action, the G5 set-aside game, it doesn't matter. All you need to do is win the AAC and you will get an NY6 slot no matter what your ranking.

So ... why the whining? 07-coffee3
11-21-2017 10:28 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-21-2017 09:01 PM)otown Wrote:  I tell you one thing, if the crazy thing happens and UCF destroys the Peach bowl opponent (such as a one loss Georgia, etc), the committee as well as the rest of the country are gonna scratch their heads about whether they should have included UCF in the top 4 if they allow 2 loss teams in the playoffs.

No they won't. We already know that there will be no "reevaluations of the system", because we already had cases like that under the old BCS. E.g., in 2006, Boise beat #7 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl to finish as the only undefeated team in the country, but nobody said they shoulda been in the title game that pitted Florida (with 1 loss) vs Ohio State.

Similarly, in 2008, Utah beat #4 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl to also finish as the only undefeated team in the country, but nobody said they should have gotten to play in the title game instead of 1-loss Florida and 1-loss Oklahoma. In neither case was there a groundswell of calls to reevaluate the system.

And remember, Boise in 2006 and Utah in 2008 won BCS bowls against considerably better teams than UCF is likely to face. In 2008, Alabama was the SEC West champ and ranked #1 for most of the year until they lost the SEC title game in the waning minutes to Florida. Oklahoma in 2006 was the Big 12 champion back when the Big 12 still had Nebraska, Colorado, and Texas A/M.

UCF, in contrast, will likely face a lesser team, definitely not a conference champ, probably a team ranked #10 or #11 with at least two losses. That just won't have the same impact that beating a higher-ranked team would.

Also, let's face it: I think everyone kind of understands that if you are a big-time P5 school, a Georgia or an FSU or an Alabama, and you end up playing a G5 team in an NY6 bowl, it's probably a big let-down, you probably had national title hopes recently dashed, and then, when you were licking your wounds and trying to come to terms with it, you think "well, you know, playing Notre Dame or Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl isn't all that bad", then .. you find out you're playing Houston or UCF instead, and that makes it a double-deflation.

In contrast, for the G5 school, well, it's our Super Bowl.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2017 10:52 PM by quo vadis.)
11-21-2017 10:49 PM
otown Offline
All American

(11-21-2017 10:49 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-21-2017 09:01 PM)otown Wrote:  I tell you one thing, if the crazy thing happens and UCF destroys the Peach bowl opponent (such as a one loss Georgia, etc), the committee as well as the rest of the country are gonna scratch their heads about whether they should have included UCF in the top 4 if they allow 2 loss teams in the playoffs.

No they won't. We already know that there will be no "reevaluations of the system", because we already had cases like that under the old BCS. E.g., in 2006, Boise beat #7 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl to finish as the only undefeated team in the country, but nobody said they shoulda been in the title game that pitted Florida (with 1 loss) vs Ohio State.

Similarly, in 2008, Utah beat #4 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl to also finish as the only undefeated team in the country, but nobody said they should have gotten to play in the title game instead of 1-loss Florida and 1-loss Oklahoma. In neither case was there a groundswell of calls to reevaluate the system.

And remember, Boise in 2006 and Utah in 2008 won BCS bowls against considerably better teams than UCF is likely to face. In 2008, Alabama was the SEC West champ and ranked #1 for most of the year until they lost the SEC title game in the waning minutes to Florida. Oklahoma in 2006 was the Big 12 champion back when the Big 12 still had Nebraska, Colorado, and Texas A/M.

UCF, in contrast, will likely face a lesser team, definitely not a conference champ, probably a team ranked #10 or #11 with at least two losses. That just won't have the same impact that beating a higher-ranked team would.

Also, let's face it: I think everyone kind of understands that if you are a big-time P5 school, a Georgia or an FSU or an Alabama, and you end up playing a G5 team in an NY6 bowl, it's probably a big let-down, you probably had national title hopes recently dashed, and then, when you were licking your wounds and trying to come to terms with it, you think "well, you know, playing Notre Dame or Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl isn't all that bad", then .. you find out you're playing Houston or UCF instead, and that makes it a double-deflation.

Quo, you are the last person I would have expected to catch the point, so it doesn't surprise me. That Boise team and Utah team still get talked about today how they got screwed. However, back then, there was a computer and a simple ranking system of 1 vs 2 for the title. There was not much subjectivity to the process minus the few human polls that were factored in the BCS. I think there will be talk by the talking heads if it's a resounding win at the Peach bowl. Then next year, they will be ranked preseason and you bet your butt there will be pressure to put them in if they run the table. Whether they succumb completely to the pressure, who knows, but I certainly think they would get in over a 2 loss team next year.......which is different this year where there is zero chance over a 2 loss team. UCF is building a 25 game resume.

As a Florida fan, I remember remember very well that Alabama team. I can also honestly say that that Utah team would have given us problems in a game as well that year. They were that good, and they probably would have won the SEC that year too.
It's all about outside influence and perception. UCF will become the new white elephant sitting in the room next year if they handily win the Peach. And don't kid yourself about a let down game excuse, whoever we play most likely will have known that they didn't have a shot of going to the CFP because they probably will be rank 6 through 10 going into the last week and needed a lot of dominos to fall to even have a chance.

I do find it rich that you are already downplaying the NY6 game considering you will need your ammo to throw UCFs way when they curb stomp your team that has accomplished nothing in their existence.
11-22-2017 06:39 AM
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

(11-21-2017 10:28 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-21-2017 08:01 PM)otown Wrote:  So my question is, why on GOD's green Earth did they jump UCF? If the committee thought that MS State's resume as a 3 loss team is better than UCF factoring in the close loss to Alabama and the win against LSU...... then why were they not ranked ahead of UCF last week?

Seriously, why do you care? How on earth does it matter whether UCF is ranked #14 or #15?

I could see this mattering to a P5 team, like say Oklahoma State, because a P5 team ranked around #15 needs to get into the top 12 or so to get in to an NY6 bowl, so in that case, #14 or #15 could make all the difference.

But UCF? Thanks to the CFP version of Affirmative Action, the G5 set-aside game, it doesn't matter. All you need to do is win the AAC and you will get an NY6 slot no matter what your ranking.

The whining is because it does have implications. I know you are very narrow minded, kind of like lights on and lights off. Every little bit matters because where they finish the year will translate into preseason polls next year. A team ranked top 10 mid season by the human polls will aid in perception when the CFP comes out.

Secondly, let's say they are ranked high during the season and drop one game, it gives them a cushion against other G5s battling for position. Doesn't matter at this point since you need to be a conference champ, but will in future seasons if it happens. Seriously, if you won a million bucks on powerball, you would pout about not winning the half billion jackpot. Try not to be so narrow minded sometimes, you may appreciate life better.
11-22-2017 06:49 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-22-2017 06:39 AM)otown Wrote:  

Quo, you are the last person I would have expected to catch the point, so it doesn't surprise me. That Boise team and Utah team still get talked about today how they got screwed. However, back then, there was a computer and a simple ranking system of 1 vs 2 for the title. There was not much subjectivity to the process minus the few human polls that were factored in the BCS. I think there will be talk by the talking heads if it's a resounding win at the Peach bowl. Then next year, they will be ranked preseason and you bet your butt there will be pressure to put them in if they run the table. Whether they succumb completely to the pressure, who knows, but I certainly think they would get in over a 2 loss team next year.......which is different this year where there is zero chance over a 2 loss team. UCF is building a 25 game resume.

As a Florida fan, I remember remember very well that Alabama team. I can also honestly say that that Utah team would have given us problems in a game as well that year. They were that good, and they probably would have won the SEC that year too.
It's all about outside influence and perception. UCF will become the new white elephant sitting in the room next year if they handily win the Peach. And don't kid yourself about a let down game excuse, whoever we play most likely will have known that they didn't have a shot of going to the CFP because they probably will be rank 6 through 10 going into the last week and needed a lot of dominos to fall to even have a chance.

As usual, you get things almost completely wrong. First, Boise and Utah are slightly remembered these days for their upset wins in those BCS bowls - especially Boise, because of the famous way their game ended - but nobody seriously says they were screwed out of a shot at the title. Second, the BCS ranking system was loaded with subjectivity, as the main component in the rankings were two human polls.

Third, yes, if UCF wins the Peach Bowl over a #11 I don't know who, sure, when analyzing the game a talking head will say "I wonder how this team would do in the playoffs vs Alabama", but that will be it, the playoffs themselves will proceed with all the legitimacy they currently have, if you think otherwise you're delusional.

As for next year, you ramble on about that but I never commented on it. FWIW, if UCF wins the Peach, yes, you will be highly ranked going in to next year, like Houston was last year after winning the 2015 Peach. But no, if your schedule sucks like it does this year, you won't make the playoffs next year, period.

Finally, it is silly to think that a P5 good enough to make an NY6 isn't disappointed to lose out on the playoffs, and then double-bummed to have to play the G5 rep. That's the long straw in the draw nobody wants, because it's all downside - win and nobody cares, lose and you get scoffed at. It basically ruins the good feeling of going to an NY6 bowl. It's the way it is. 07-coffee3
11-22-2017 07:48 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(11-21-2017 10:49 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  In contrast, for the G5 school, well, it's our Super Bowl.

I have to say, if I'm UCF's administration, and they go 14-0, I go ahead and hang a bigass NAtional Championship banner. Especially if the CFP champ has a loss (or two). I understand that three or four of Alabama's claimed 15 or 19 national championships are total hogwash, and they only get some mild ribbing about it, so why not?
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 08:20 AM by johnbragg.)
11-22-2017 08:19 AM
otown Offline
All American

(11-22-2017 07:48 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

As usual, you get things almost completely wrong. First, Boise and Utah are slightly remembered these days for their upset wins in those BCS bowls - especially Boise, because of the famous way their game ended - but nobody seriously says they were screwed out of a shot at the title. Second, the BCS ranking system was loaded with subjectivity, as the main component in the rankings were two human polls.

Third, yes, if UCF wins the Peach Bowl over a #11 I don't know who, sure, when analyzing the game a talking head will say "I wonder how this team would do in the playoffs vs Alabama", but that will be it, the playoffs themselves will proceed with all the legitimacy they currently have, if you think otherwise you're delusional.

As for next year, you ramble on about that but I never commented on it. FWIW, if UCF wins the Peach, yes, you will be highly ranked going in to next year, like Houston was last year after winning the 2015 Peach. But no, if your schedule sucks like it does this year, you won't make the playoffs next year, period.

Finally, it is silly to think that a P5 good enough to make an NY6 isn't disappointed to lose out on the playoffs, and then double-bummed to have to play the G5 rep. That's the long straw in the draw nobody wants, because it's all downside - win and nobody cares, lose and you get scoffed at. It basically ruins the good feeling of going to an NY6 bowl. It's the way it is. 07-coffee3

First, yes they do talk. It occasional comes up with talking heads, hell, that Boise team is still talked about. It was also talked about when they were devising the new CFP system (not that it made much difference), and yes, it occasionally breaks into conversations at P5 tailgates when we talk about our glory days and the CF landscape back before our two albatross coaching hires. It it surely is talked about on message boards, case in point here. The only delusional ones are the narrow minded individuals that pretend its not talked about. One Pinocchio coffee mug for you. 07-coffee3

Secondly, I did mention that the BCS had human polls in it. Nice of you to ignore that fact, but there was also plenty of non subjective formulas that went into it. 2 Pinocchio coffee mugs for you 07-coffee307-coffee3

Third, you need to stop putting liquor in that coffee mug since you now seem to think you are a committee member. You have no clue how talking heads and the noise will affect their ranking in that scenario because they have never really been put in that scenario before in the CFP era. So please lay off the booze and stop talking in absolutes. 3 Irish coffees for you I guess on that one 07-coffee307-coffee307-coffee3

Lastly, "win and nobody cares, lose and you get scoffed at".......... I don't know about you, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be "that team that loses to a G5". This whole argument that you bought into is ridiculous. Maybe its because you never played competitive sports and just like watching sports on TV, I don't know...... however, that's an easy cop out excuse. Especially from a P5 perspective, they would rather curb stomp the G5, prove that the G5 don't belong, make an argument that the committee messed up not including them, and hope next year that P5 team will be given the benefit of the doubt. 07-coffee307-coffee307-coffee307-coffee3

So, please try to not be narrow minded. I tell ya, you will enjoy life better.
11-22-2017 08:26 AM
otown Offline
All American

(11-22-2017 08:19 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(11-21-2017 10:49 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  In contrast, for the G5 school, well, it's our Super Bowl.

I have to say, if I'm UCF's administration, and they go 14-0, I go ahead and hang a bigass NAtional Championship banner. Especially if the CFP champ has a loss (or two). I understand that three or four of Alabama's claimed 15 or 19 national championships are total hogwash, and they only get some mild ribbing about it, so why not?

I totally would too. It would piss off the CF elite....... but it sure would get the press. Yea, the 2 or 1 loss national champion would laugh at it........ but only in public. Deep down inside, I am pretty sure they would be pissed. However, I doubt UCF would do it.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 08:31 AM by otown.)
11-22-2017 08:31 AM
Advertisement

Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
The committee starts from scratch each week, something I like. Poll position from the previous week shouldn't matter.

That said, I think they put too much emphasis into top 25 rankings. Is there really much difference between the #20 team and the #30 team? Not really. And I think at the bottom of the top 25 is where you can see some self fulfilling bias as some borderline schools sneak in and others are left out.

I'd like to see them rank the top 25, but then take the next 10 or so in some computer ranking composite and list them separately as quality opponents considered in a similar vein as the bottom of the top 25.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 09:50 AM by Frog in the Kitchen Sink.)
11-22-2017 09:50 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates

@ #6 Auburn
@ #7 Georgia
#1 Alabama
@ Texas A&M
#18 LSU
Kentucky
@ Arkansas

I disagree. You can not make assumptions about how a team would do against someone else's schedule. No body knows how UCF would compete this year against those schools. Not fair to say UCF would lose 4 or 6 games as you have no idea nor does anyone else. Only thing fair to do is allow them to decide it on the field. Wish we had the 8 team playoff.

So at the end of this week it would look like this for a playoff

1 Alabama (SEC Champion)
2 Miami (ACC Champion)
3 Clemson (At-Large)
4 Oklahoma (Big 12 Champion)
5 Wisconsin (Big Ten Champion)
6 Auburn (At-Large)
7 USC (Pac-12 Champion)
8 UCF (G5 Champion)

First Round
8 UCF @ 1 Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL)
vs
5 Wisconsin @ 4 Oklahoma (Norman, OK)

6 Auburn @ 3 Clemson (Clemson, SC)
vs
7 USC @ 2 Miami (Miami, FL)
11-22-2017 10:17 AM
otown Offline
All American

I agree about the playoffs. If UCF went through that playoff scenario and won their way through, how can you complain about them being champs? They would have just beat the entire cream of P5 one by one 3 games straight. However, it will never happen because those in power don't want to see any possibility of it happening because their whole glass house would shatter.
11-22-2017 11:11 AM
AubTiger16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Auburn/SEC
(11-22-2017 10:17 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  

@ #6 Auburn
@ #7 Georgia
#1 Alabama
@ Texas A&M
#18 LSU
Kentucky
@ Arkansas

I disagree. You can not make assumptions about how a team would do against someone else's schedule. No body knows how UCF would compete this year against those schools. Not fair to say UCF would lose 4 or 6 games as you have no idea nor does anyone else. Only thing fair to do is allow them to decide it on the field. Wish we had the 8 team playoff.

So at the end of this week it would look like this for a playoff

1 Alabama (SEC Champion)
2 Miami (ACC Champion)
3 Clemson (At-Large)
4 Oklahoma (Big 12 Champion)
5 Wisconsin (Big Ten Champion)
6 Auburn (At-Large)
7 USC (Pac-12 Champion)
8 UCF (G5 Champion)

First Round
8 UCF @ 1 Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL)
vs
5 Wisconsin @ 4 Oklahoma (Norman, OK)

6 Auburn @ 3 Clemson (Clemson, SC)
vs
7 USC @ 2 Miami (Miami, FL)

Did you miss the "personally" remark and the "I'm not the committee though" statement?

Tell me a fair way you'd do it?

Why should some of the better P5 teams with 2 or 3 losses be penalized for actually playing someone?

I'd be the first one in the UCF should be considered line if they had a valid argument. The point is they don't. I would love to see a G5 get in or for 2 P5 conferences to be left out. I want an 8 team playoff. 4 is BS and I hate it, but it is the system we currently have and we have to deal with it.

To date UCF has shown nothing that says they are deserving of a playoff shot.

Schedule:

FIU- (C-USA) 6-4 They just lost to FAU by 30.

Maryland- (B1G) 4-7 currently probable finish 4-8.

Memphis- (AAC) 9-1 best OOC win is 5-6 UCLA.

Cincinnati- (AAC) 3-8...

ECU- 3-8...

Navy- 6-4 (Best win is FAU)?

Austin Peay- (FCS)

SMU- 6-5 (lost to TCU by 20.)

UConn- 3-8...

Temple- 5-6 (Lost to Notre Dame by 33)

I went though their (wins) schedules as well and it's not pretty.

If UCF wins out this year and wins the Peach Bowl they'll be in business to start next season in the AP/Coaches poll. They are pointless polls and have zero bearing on the CFP Committee. If it makes you feel good though, yes they should easily be top 9-12.

The biggest thing will be what the AAC does and what their 2 big OOC opponents (UNC and Pitt) do.

If UNC is a 2 or 3 win team it does nothing for them. If Pitt is a 3 or 4 win team it does nothing for them.

It also doesn't help them when their division has 6 teams in it and 4 of them have losing records including 3 of those 4 with 3 wins each. The other division has Memphis who's best OOC win is UCLA but after them you have Houston at 6-4 who had the win against Arizona (7-4) but then lost at home to the 8th place Big 12 team.

Navy who lost by 33 to Notre Dame.
SMU who lost by 3 TD's to TCU.
Tulane who lost by 42 to Oklahoma, lost by 13 to FIU.
Tulsa who lost by 35 to Oklahoma State, lost to UNM and to Toledo.

At this point I really can't grasp what the argument is about. You are all either just arguing to argue because you want to troll on a message board or you truly don't look at anything other then wins and losses regardless of actual accomplishments and resumes.

I have already explained how I think Wisconsin shouldn't get in as of now due to their resume. Same with a few teams. I don't think Michigan should have been ranked just to give Wisconsin a "quality" win. Michigan had beaten ZERO teams with a winning record. I do agree their are injustices in the system but not to the point that UCF is getting screwed out of a shot right now.

This isn't a "Give everyone a trophy" situation. UCF isn't getting a shot just because they want it and the entire G5 rallies around them. There are teams out that that have played 3-4-5-6 ranked teams. Both at home and on the road.

If UCF or any G5 wants a chance you can't beat up on the G5 and claim you deserve it.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 02:28 PM by AubTiger16.)
11-22-2017 02:23 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Because then you get laughed at, like Auburn did in 2004 when they held a parade and declared themselves the "people's champion" or something.

Whoever wins the playoff will be the national champ, it's the system everyone agreed to, including UCF.
11-22-2017 02:29 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-22-2017 08:26 AM)otown Wrote:  

First, yes they do talk. It occasional comes up with talking heads, hell, that Boise team is still talked about. It was also talked about when they were devising the new CFP system (not that it made much difference), and yes, it occasionally breaks into conversations at P5 tailgates when we talk about our glory days and the CF landscape back before our two albatross coaching hires. It it surely is talked about on message boards, case in point here. The only delusional ones are the narrow minded individuals that pretend its not talked about. One Pinocchio coffee mug for you. 07-coffee3

Secondly, I did mention that the BCS had human polls in it. Nice of you to ignore that fact, but there was also plenty of non subjective formulas that went into it. 2 Pinocchio coffee mugs for you 07-coffee307-coffee3

Third, you need to stop putting liquor in that coffee mug since you now seem to think you are a committee member. You have no clue how talking heads and the noise will affect their ranking in that scenario because they have never really been put in that scenario before in the CFP era. So please lay off the booze and stop talking in absolutes. 3 Irish coffees for you I guess on that one 07-coffee307-coffee307-coffee3

Lastly, "win and nobody cares, lose and you get scoffed at".......... I don't know about you, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be "that team that loses to a G5". This whole argument that you bought into is ridiculous. Maybe its because you never played competitive sports and just like watching sports on TV, I don't know...... however, that's an easy cop out excuse. Especially from a P5 perspective, they would rather curb stomp the G5, prove that the G5 don't belong, make an argument that the committee messed up not including them, and hope next year that P5 team will be given the benefit of the doubt. 07-coffee307-coffee307-coffee307-coffee3

*Sigh*.

First, as i said, those Utah and Boise wins are mentioned. But as i also correctly said, nobody seriously argues that they were screwed out of a shot at the title - the issue here. There is no public perception "asterisk" behind Florida's titles those years. Nor will there be this year if UCF goes unbeaten and wins the Peach Bowl. Wishful Knights fan thinking. 07-coffee3

Second, you mentioned that the BCS had human polls, but still claimed there was "not much subjectivity" in the process, when in fact the human polls were always 50% to 75% of the BCS process, meaning there was a whole lot of subjectivity in it. That's what i was correcting you about.

Third, we'll see about next year when next year comes, but unless UCF has Oklahoma and Louisville scheduled like Houston did last year, playoff talk is silly. The CFP ain't putting a UCF that beats a bunch of AAC teams and one or two bottom-feeder P5 in to the playoffs. Mark my words. 07-coffee3

Finally, sure, the coaches of the P5 will try to fire their kids up to beat UCF or Boise or whoever the G5 rep is, and will use arguments like yours. But it doesn't work, and anyone can see why: Getting stuck with the G5 team in your major bowl just sucks, and there's no glossing lipstick on that pig. Or Knight. 07-coffee3
11-22-2017 02:46 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(11-22-2017 02:29 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Because then you get laughed at, like Auburn did in 2004 when they held a parade and declared themselves the "people's champion" or something.

Whoever wins the playoff will be the national champ, it's the system everyone agreed to, including UCF.

1. But the consensus national champion, USC, was also undefeated in 2004. There's a big difference between undefeated and claiming a fake national championship when there was a consensus that some other undefeated team was better. If after the semifinals and NCG, say Clemson or Oklahoma wins the CFP with a non-perfect-season team, UCF can legitimately contend that the title is tarnished.

2. Undefeated UCF would be more like Tulane's 1998 season, or Boise States' undefeated run.
11-22-2017 03:13 PM
otown Offline
All American

(11-22-2017 02:46 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 08:26 AM)otown Wrote:  
(11-21-2017 10:49 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  No they won't. We already know that there will be no "reevaluations of the system", because we already had cases like that under the old BCS. E.g., in 2006, Boise beat #7 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl to finish as the only undefeated team in the country, but nobody said they shoulda been in the title game that pitted Florida (with 1 loss) vs Ohio State.

*Sigh*.

First, as i said, those Utah and Boise wins are mentioned. But as i also correctly said, nobody seriously argues that they were screwed out of a shot at the title - the issue here. There is no public perception "asterisk" behind Florida's titles those years. Nor will there be this year if UCF goes unbeaten and wins the Peach Bowl. Wishful Knights fan thinking. 07-coffee3

Second, you mentioned that the BCS had human polls, but still claimed there was "not much subjectivity" in the process, when in fact the human polls were always 50% to 75% of the BCS process, meaning there was a whole lot of subjectivity in it. That's what i was correcting you about.

Third, we'll see about next year when next year comes, but unless UCF has Oklahoma and Louisville scheduled like Houston did last year, playoff talk is silly. The CFP ain't putting a UCF that beats a bunch of AAC teams and one or two bottom-feeder P5 in to the playoffs. Mark my words. 07-coffee3

Finally, sure, the coaches of the P5 will try to fire their kids up to beat UCF or Boise or whoever the G5 rep is, and will use arguments like yours. But it doesn't work, and anyone can see why: Getting stuck with the G5 team in your major bowl just sucks, and there's no glossing lipstick on that pig. Or Knight. 07-coffee3

First, as a Gator fan before I became a UCF fan as well, there is no asterisk, but I can say that the topic has come up in conversation occasionally as "wasn't that the year............." Yes, it pisses me off.

Second, the subjectivity certainly was watered down by the computers, no escaping that fact.

Third, I did not say that they will get in in any scenario....... but I do think they would get in over a random 2 loss team that may not have as strong as a resume. This season, any P5 with a pulse and only 2 wins gets in, hell, they seem to think a 3 loss MS State has what it takes after their miraculous Arkansas win. Next year, that may not be the case in my above scenario.

Lastly, yes, maybe a narrow minded individual like yourself would feel that way. Like I said before, you would be devastated winning a million bucks on Powerball because you did not win the whole thing.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 03:20 PM by otown.)
11-22-2017 03:19 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-22-2017 06:49 AM)otown Wrote:  
(11-21-2017 10:28 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

The whining is because it does have implications. I know you are very narrow minded, kind of like lights on and lights off. Every little bit matters because where they finish the year will translate into preseason polls next year. A team ranked top 10 mid season by the human polls will aid in perception when the CFP comes out.

Secondly, let's say they are ranked high during the season and drop one game, it gives them a cushion against other G5s battling for position. Doesn't matter at this point since you need to be a conference champ, but will in future seasons if it happens. Seriously, if you won a million bucks on powerball, you would pout about not winning the half billion jackpot. Try not to be so narrow minded sometimes, you may appreciate life better.

Wow, you spill some verbiage without explaining how it matters at all whether UCF is #14 or #15. At most, it's the tiniest kind of nit-pick, evidence of a pedantic mindset.

And yet I'm allegedly the 'narrow-minded' one? 03-lmfao
11-22-2017 03:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.