Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU vs UT-San Antonio Hoops
Bookmark and Share
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
The Dukes have earned a spot in the last place game at the Bahamas tournament against UT- San Antonio. It is funny that the game is scheduled for 11AM which is the same time as the FCS playoff bracket announcement.

In a riveting poll question, what will JMU nation decide to watch?
1-JMU basketball
2-the FCS playoff bracket show

03-lmfao

It is time for the Dukes to scratch out a win.
JMU 68
UTSA 65
11-18-2017 09:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
Why does everyone shoot so well against us?
11-19-2017 11:30 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

RE: JMU vs UT-San Antonio Hoops
(11-19-2017 11:30 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Why does everyone shoot so well against us?

Perhaps we aren't that good at defense.
11-19-2017 11:45 AM
jmuduke10 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison U
(11-19-2017 11:45 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(11-19-2017 11:30 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Why does everyone shoot so well against us?

Perhaps we aren't that good at defense.
Or basketball. But only down 6 at half. Hopefully can salvage something from thus tourney

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using CSNbbs mobile app
11-19-2017 12:02 PM
jmuduke10 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison U
Dukes down 70-57 8 min left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using CSNbbs mobile app
11-19-2017 12:28 PM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

Utsa with 21 assists with 8 minutes left. Wow. Shooting over 60%
11-19-2017 12:31 PM
Advertisement

nyduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
down 17 with 5 minutes left..........looking forward to Wed. game vs App St. Making the trip down.

Need a W wed. bad
11-19-2017 12:39 PM
JacksonHall Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
JMU clawed back in it in a couple of these tournament games using a more athletic lineup with more of the freshmen. Maybe start a few of those guys instead.
11-19-2017 12:39 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Every time I start having faith in the process, the MBB always lets me down.
I'm starting to think MBB is our version of the Cleveland Browns.
11-19-2017 12:40 PM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

11-19-2017 12:42 PM
JacksonHall Offline
1st String

Snowden is the most frustrating player to watch. The guy will not take a shot. So he ends up turning the ball over a lot and just taking up space on offense. And he's a good shooter if he ever gets up the courage to take a shot.
11-19-2017 12:50 PM
Advertisement

jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(11-19-2017 12:50 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  Snowden is the most frustrating player to watch. The guy will not take a shot. So he ends up turning the ball over a lot and just taking up space on offense. And he's a good shooter if he ever gets up the courage to take a shot.

I agree. I think he was trained by your namesake JacksonKent who perfected the fake pull up three. Another good shooter who didn't take advantage of many open looks. IMO

Passing up a good shot to dribble drive into a turnover ugh. One of my coaching desperation mantras was : Shoot it! before you turn it over.
11-19-2017 01:20 PM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

I watched most of the first game and then the next two games for JMU this weekend. Unless JMU changes how they play, I think they're going to struggle to win games all season. Right now, they have nothing to hang their hats on. Their defense isn't good, leading to unimpeded drives to the basket or close-in shots or wide open threes; and their offense consists of either one-on-one play with guys forcing the action to the hoop or pulling up for very difficult shots. There's no team philosophy certainly on offense...it's all either isolation play or high screen and roll action (a two man game at the top of the key in which the player without the ball doesn't generally know how to roll to the basket). They've rebounded fairly well at times, have brought their turnovers down and can be good in transition. They have athleticism and quickness. Those are some of their positives. The other thing about the offense is there's no low-post threat and their outside shooting to this point is lacking because shots are usually heavily contested. Phillips gets overpowered inside because he lacks strength. I'm surprised that they're considering redshirting Wilson since he represents a legitimate low post threat and is strong. In short, the whole is less than the sum of the parts is my early on impression. I hope that Rowe recognizes the failure of their current approach.

Speaking of this tournament, losing to Northern Kentucky and Weber State is hardly an embarrassment. Both teams are very impressive. Northern Kentucky is the no. 11 team in the mid-major poll and coming off an NCAA tournament season. They're a legit top 100 team. Weber State won 20 games last year and were picked to win the Big Sky Conference by Athlon's. They boast a transfer from Utah that was a nationally ranked top 50 player. Both teams would finish in the top three of the currently constituted CAA. UTSA is hardly a garbage team either. Seems like this was a real quality field, which also included Vermont, Iona, Bradley and Coastal Carolina.
11-19-2017 03:59 PM
Bawlmer Duke Offline
1st String

From what I can tell Scissum won't see much playing time, and that is probably a good thing. Who knows, he may hit the road after this season.

Walfish said Wilson needs to redshirt and at this point it seems Rowe is going to do that.

Until the freshman start making strides playing at this level, it's going to be a long long season. Ups and downs.

We all tend to agree he took a flyer on Cam Smith, and that won't work out.

Banks played well offensively v UTSA
11-19-2017 04:23 PM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
Very frustrating so far. Jacobs looks like he is going to be really good. Hell be all CAA if keeps working hard. Banks has shown some signs but hasn't hit an outside shot. I expected Mosley to be better and more of a facilitator for others but his assist rate isn't high yet. No one can create shots for other people for the most part on this team, which is killer when using a lot of ball screen stuff. Joey was point guard out of necessity last year, now hes the PG again. The guards are not really the problem but are not an overwhelming strength that I thought was possible. They need to be great for this team to be "ok".

The flyer on Cam Smith wasn't really a risk, you get him for a year and hes gone. At worst you have post depth with no strings attached. Grad transfers in general are a great addition without much downside. The universities hate them because the guys often never finish the masters and it affects their numbers. I am not sure what Cam is doing at JMU, but the issue I'm describing of annoying academia is an issue nationwide.

The team needs to learn how to defend better and without fouling. JMU is 349th in the country in FTA/FGA defensively. So teams are shooting a ****load of FTs which are efficient possessions. That is the biggest defensive issue right now. Not sure if they can just stop fouling and perhaps being so far out of position causes it, but its the biggest problem. Last year's team struggled to score but for times before injuries they were a strong defensive team.

Kept hearing How Joey wasn't a good point guard, but hes playing point again this year.

Scissum would be the one I'd say is most disappointing. He has a 53 offensive rating, 0 blocks vs d1's, 0 steals. You have a Soph who you'll pay for 4 years of education who looks like hes being phased out and not as athletic as hoped. He isn't the answer apparently.

Snowden can make an open shot but pretty much is a turnover machine when drives. He and Joey are decent players and theyll be gone next year. I don't think Snowden is that good

Lewis looks like he could be good in the CAA as well, but he isn't ready right now to be a starter on a Top half CAA team.

This team needs to keep adding talent from every which way. They had a real nice frosh class this year with guys who could be good on a good CAA team. But they need to keep banging out doubles and signing good players. High schoolers, grad transfers, guys coming out of prison, chinese shoplifters, this team needs a talent uplift bad.

After having a summer trip you hope to get out of the gates better than this. Lot of new players so didn't expect greatness here but unless some things radically change its going to be another very long season. I keep refreshing the mens recruiting thread hoping to see some good news. Jacobs/Lewis/Banks could form a good core in a couple years but more is needed.
11-19-2017 11:16 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
I was only able to follow the games on live feed and didn't see the video but it looks like the style they are playing and in some cases the JMU players' inexperience is yielding more possessions than in years past- quicker shots on offense, more aggressive on defense. The defense clearly needs work- it's been awful- and on offense the Dukes are too perimeter oriented at this point.

One thing that I'm surprised by is Wilson- according to Walfish he referred to Wilson as needing to add size and prone to being pushed around. Is he referring to the same Dwight Wilson who on tape looks to have good size and is listed as 260? Is it that Wilson is big but needs to add strength? I just don't buy that as a valid reason why he hasn't been on the court. He may be slow footed or easily fatigued but pushed around I can't see that.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2017 07:44 AM by NJDuke97.)
11-20-2017 07:22 AM
Advertisement

dukesfan4010 Offline
2nd String

I thought Wilson moved extremelty well against Bridgewater. Stamina might have been the issue, but he played hard and in my estimation would definitely help us this year, but i can see the benefits of redshirting him to possibly balance classes more.
11-20-2017 07:37 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Its a small sample size but from the advanced stats no real surprise that Mosely has been our best player thus far. Also as far as +/- on the box score when guys are in these guys are net positive thus far:

Mosely +3
McLean +2
Lewis + 2.7
Snowden + 3.2
Jacobs + 0.4
Smith + 0.3

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch.../2018.html
11-20-2017 07:47 AM
Bawlmer Duke Offline
1st String

(11-20-2017 07:22 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I was only able to follow the games on live feed and didn't see the video but it looks like the style they are playing and in some cases the JMU players' inexperience is yielding more possessions than in years past- quicker shots on offense, more aggressive on defense. The defense clearly needs work- it's been awful- and on offense the Dukes are too perimeter oriented at this point.

One thing that I'm surprised by is Wilson- according to Walfish he referred to Wilson as needing to add size and prone to being pushed around. Is he referring to the same Dwight Wilson who on tape looks to have good size and is listed as 260? Is it that Wilson is big but needs to add strength? I just don't buy that as a valid reason why he hasn't been on the court. He may be slow footed or easily fatigued but pushed around I can't see that.

Agreed. Was trying to figure out what Walfish was getting at in that twitter discussion. I assume that was you joining in?
11-20-2017 08:24 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

I wouldn't write off Jones just yet. He's very athletic and has size....I would probably call him a combo forward. He needs to develop his skill set. He seems better suited for a redshirt year to me than Wilson. I think Wilson can help the team, but evidently the coaching staff feels differently. Smith is there to provide leadership, as he's a very limited player. Guys coming in next season make sense -- a true point guard and a shooter. Need a low post threat still.
11-20-2017 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.