Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Spitballing idea
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Spitballing idea
I'm not motivated enough to look up my old "Champions League" idea from a couple of years ago (which I still stand by, but whatever), but how is this for a proposal/idea? The only schools that would suffer would be the independents (and, if I'm being honest, I don't really care about them).

If all conferences went with a 9 game schedule (in order to make things a bit easier for planning), what if a "FBS committee" were charged with the task of scheduling the 3 OOC games? Furthermore, what if they committed to doing this in the middle of the season? It would do away with the early season tune up games, but imagine this:

Over the first 5 weeks of the college football season, every team plays 4 conference games. The committee could then ensure that the 3 non-conference games pitted legitimate playoff contenders against strong other teams instead of against crappy teams. Teams that have 5 home conference games would get 1 home OOC game, while those with 4 home conference games would get 2 home OOC games, so you could schedule your stadiums accordingly. Then, once the OOC portion of the schedule was complete, conferences would return to completing their conference schedules. That would put an end to ridiculous games like Bama/Mercer, Auburn/LaMo and FSU/Delaware State in late November, would have ensured that USF, UCF and Wisconsin played better non-conference opponents to bolster any chance they may have had at a playoff bid and avoided some of the griping I've heard about Bama's soft OOC schedule (they had no way of knowing FSU would fall so far this year). Furthermore, it sets up the occasional games where decent P5 teams have to go on the road to play legitimate non-P5 teams.

I know it's not a guarantee that it would solve the playoff problem (nothing's going to do that until they set something up that lets every team control their own destiny every season), but it would eliminate some of them. Oh, and I also recognize that it would kill some of the non-conference annual rivalries (Florida/FSU, Georgia/GT, Clemson/USC), but perhaps the committee could keep them in play some years.

USFFan
11-18-2017 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
RE: Spitballing idea
FBS committee scheduling 375 games? There would be riots. I am a also a fan of occasionally playing an FCS team. This would also break up regional rivalries as you mentioned.

To be taken seriously schedule better.
Also, expand the playoff to 8 or 16 just like FCS. The Bamas would hate it.
11-18-2017 02:41 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(11-18-2017 02:41 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  FBS committee scheduling 375 games? There would be riots. I am a also a fan of occasionally playing an FCS team. This would also break up regional rivalries as you mentioned.

I think you're in the vast minority of being "a fan of occasionally playing an FCS team." As for scheduling better, I'm not a fan of taking payday games. I get that others like that, and it's all fine and dandy once in a while, but when you just bend over and submit to being paid to show up and perform, well...

[Image: giphy.gif]

USFFan
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2017 03:32 PM by usffan.)
11-18-2017 03:31 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
I agree with usffan on the issue of FCS teams -- if my school never played an FCS team again, I would be thrilled.
11-18-2017 05:25 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
On occasion, I like to hock a loogie.
11-18-2017 05:43 PM
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
(11-18-2017 03:31 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(11-18-2017 02:41 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  FBS committee scheduling 375 games? There would be riots. I am a also a fan of occasionally playing an FCS team. This would also break up regional rivalries as you mentioned.

I think you're in the vast minority of being "a fan of occasionally playing an FCS team." As for scheduling better, I'm not a fan of taking payday games. I get that others like that, and it's all fine and dandy once in a while, but when you just bend over and submit to being paid to show up and perform, well...

[Image: giphy.gif]

USFFan

Touché. Or does that sound too dirty?
11-18-2017 07:10 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
It would be a logistics nightmare, especially for the schools that play in shared stadiums.
11-20-2017 12:56 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
Anything that leagues other than the P5 have zero chance of their ideas even being heard. The P5 autonomy is real. The large money pie is not going to be deviated from the P5. If someday, the AAC can turn it into a P6 great! But is highly unlikely at this point. It's all about the money. The P5 draw huge crowds and draw huge ratings.

How is a 16 team playoff or this idea going to increase their revenue? The P5 are the ones going to be asking the question(s) and providing their own answer without other input. If they deem equal or less money coming in due to sharing with the non-P5, than the idea is dead in the water.
11-20-2017 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.