Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Perspective
Bookmark and Share
KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
Perspective
I know that many fans would have loved to see EMU pull out some of those close losses. Consider this though...

That's the average point differential on EMU losses this season. We were literally right there in every game (CMU Meltdown aside).

Also...

With a win at Bowling Green, it would be just the 3rd time in the last 20 seasons that EMU has won 5 games or more in a season and the first time they've done it in back to back seasons. Let's get that W!

Am I an optimist.......? OF COURSE!
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 08:38 AM by KPJ.)
11-16-2017 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Perspective
(11-16-2017 08:35 AM)KPJ Wrote:  I know that many fans would have loved to see EMU pull out some of those close losses. Consider this though...

That's the average point differential on EMU losses this season. We were literally right there in every game (CMU Meltdown aside).

Also...

With a win at Bowling Green, it would be just the 3rd time in the last 20 seasons that EMU has won 5 games or more in a season and the first time they've done it in back to back seasons. Let's get that W!

Am I an optimist.......? OF COURSE!

I agree with you, and one can say, playing both sides, that EMU could be 2 - 9 OR ready for this: 11 - 0.

Every game was POTENTIALLY winnable. We did not play Ohio State, Alabama, MSU, PSU, etc. which would be guaranteed "L's."

The only TWO games this season which were mis-matches were Charlotte and BSU.

The other 9 were 60 - 40, 50 - 50, or 40 - 60 type games.
11-16-2017 08:47 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear KPJ and steve,
I think it also had to do with the team never giving up. That attitude developed by the coaches, and believed by the players. Even with the Central debacle, the team came back to make it a game.
11-16-2017 08:55 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Disappointed but honestly in line with most of our pre season predictions on what the final record would be, actually the team performed better than expected in ALL of its games which is why we are disappointed. Lets hope CC and staff upgrade their current recruiting and finish strong with the remaining 8 or 9 scholies they have left.
11-16-2017 08:58 AM
EagleSam Online
Heisman

That number is even inflated by the pick 6 CMU got on the penultimate drive of the game. We had the ball at the end with a chance to win...which can be said for every single loss this season. That is nuts.

Winning 3 of our last 4 games will help quell the disappointment a bit. I would've killed for a 5-7 record as recent as three years ago. But man is it hard to not think of how we were just a few plays away from bowl eligibility, and even MAC West title contention.

I will still look forward to next season. Our defense should be terrific again, and our new QB will have an experienced offensive line and a deep running game to work with. The future is still bright for EMU.
11-16-2017 10:29 AM
Advertisement

TheCrumbIsHere Offline
2nd String

I Root For: E. Michigan
I think the other thing that is a bit remarkable about this season as well is to consider the records of the teams we beat versus the teams we lost to. We are beating the teams that we should be beating and we have been competitive and in every game with teams that all have good records.

Our wins: (Combined opponent's record of 11-30)
Charlotte 1-9
Rutgers 4-6
Ball State 2-8
Miami(Ohio) 4-7

Our losses: (Combined opponent's record of 53-22 and all 7 are bowl eligible)
Toledo 9-2
NIU 8-3
CMU 7-4
WMU 6-5
Ohio 8-3
Army 8-2
Kentucky 7-3

Just flip an Ohio with a Kent State and this is a bowl eligible team without the close losses.
11-16-2017 10:32 AM
Block_E Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Eastern
I want to thank these guys for wearing an Eastern Michigan jersey. These seniors in particular have worked hard and have been through a LOT.

If they redshirted, they've been through:

a 2-win season,
a 1-win season,
crazy talk about ending the program,
the murder of Demarius Reed
the trial and acquittal of one of Demarius Reed's killers, and
Ron English when he was in a very bad place

and then finally got a massive monkey off of this program's back.
11-16-2017 10:58 AM
EagleSam Online
Heisman

Well said. I didn't even think of that. Brogan Roback, Derric Williams, Lavonte Robinson, and Derrick Dunlap have been with the program since 2013, while Ike Spearman has been here since 2012 (!). A big shout out to those young men for sticking with EMU through the worst of times. They all had a hand in helping to turn it around.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 11:11 AM by EagleSam.)
11-16-2017 11:10 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(11-16-2017 10:32 AM)TheCrumbIsHere Wrote:  I think the other thing that is a bit remarkable about this season as well is to consider the records of the teams we beat versus the teams we lost to. We are beating the teams that we should be beating and we have been competitive and in every game with teams that all have good records.

Our wins: (Combined opponent's record of 11-30)
Charlotte 1-9
Rutgers 4-6
Ball State 2-8
Miami(Ohio) 4-7

Our losses: (Combined opponent's record of 53-22 and all 7 are bowl eligible)
Toledo 9-2
NIU 8-3
CMU 7-4
WMU 6-5
Ohio 8-3
Army 8-2
Kentucky 7-3

Just flip an Ohio with a Kent State and this is a bowl eligible team without the close losses.

Excellent analysis. Schedules matter!!!

And not one loss to a bad team. Those are the losses which should make coaches, players and fans unhappy.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 11:46 AM by emu steve.)
11-16-2017 11:46 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Being one play away from playing for bowl eligibilty really is frustrating. Take your pick: 6 inches short on the 2 pt conversion at Army, the block in the back against wmu, the blocked punt at niu, etc. If just one of these went our way...

The frustration aside, the program is on solid ground now and our expectations will be legitimately high again next year. For those of us that lived through the dark years, we'll take it!
11-16-2017 11:51 AM
EagleSam Online
Heisman

The block in the back is the one that sticks with me the most, especially considering the awful rule of offsetting the penalties, so WMU was "rewarded" by roughing the passer. I really hope Dieuly bounces back from that and realizes the monster talent he has for next season. Our new QB will need it.
11-16-2017 12:46 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(11-16-2017 11:51 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Being one play away from playing for bowl eligibilty really is frustrating. Take your pick: 6 inches short on the 2 pt conversion at Army, the block in the back against wmu, the blocked punt at niu, etc. If just one of these went our way...

The frustration aside, the program is on solid ground now and our expectations will be legitimately high again next year. For those of us that lived through the dark years, we'll take it!

Agree 100%.

Assuming we win Tuesday, folks can say that these program has gone from the bottom to a legitimate .500 team after two 7 - 6 and 5 - 7 seasons.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 01:41 PM by emu steve.)
11-16-2017 01:33 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(11-16-2017 12:46 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  The block in the back is the one that sticks with me the most, especially considering the awful rule of offsetting the penalties, so WMU was "rewarded" by roughing the passer. I really hope Dieuly bounces back from that and realizes the monster talent he has for next season. Our new QB will need it.

Dieuly had a very disappointing year. He appears to be his own worst enemy. Despite a dropped TD pass last night, Sexton really has come into his own this season. Eagle Tough is right we need one or two JUCO WRs for immediate help next year. PS Holder is a sleeper at WR.
11-16-2017 02:03 PM
Advertisement

JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

3-4 star tight end would've come in handy this year...
11-16-2017 02:25 PM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

...looking at Nigel Kilby.
11-16-2017 02:26 PM
EagleSam Online
Heisman

(11-16-2017 02:03 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(11-16-2017 12:46 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  The block in the back is the one that sticks with me the most, especially considering the awful rule of offsetting the penalties, so WMU was "rewarded" by roughing the passer. I really hope Dieuly bounces back from that and realizes the monster talent he has for next season. Our new QB will need it.

Dieuly had a very disappointing year. He appears to be his own worst enemy. Despite a dropped TD pass last night, Sexton really has come into his own this season. Eagle Tough is right we need one or two JUCO WRs for immediate help next year. PS Holder is a sleeper at WR.

Agreed. We will have some talent coming back in Sexton, Daugherty, and Holder. All are on the smaller side, though, which is why it would be great for Dieuly to figure it out. We definitely need to look at the JUCO ranks for another outside receiver.
11-16-2017 03:33 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2017 03:33 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Agreed. We will have some talent coming back in Sexton, Daugherty, and Holder. All are on the smaller side, though, which is why it would be great for Dieuly to figure it out. We definitely need to look at the JUCO ranks for another outside receiver.
If #15 matures he can be a stud in the Mac. That mental discipline will also apply away from the football field as well.

Anyone know how the red shirt receivers are looking? There's at least two or three of them, right?
11-16-2017 04:09 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

(11-16-2017 04:09 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(11-16-2017 03:33 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  

If #15 matures he can be a stud in the Mac. That mental discipline will also apply away from the football field as well.

Anyone know how the red shirt receivers are looking? There's at least two or three of them, right?

BTW, I did look some as the 2017 freshman signing class looking for players who might be able to help next year and what positions they play.

Rather than go through it I'll put the link here. Lot of WRs, DBs, etc. Only a couple OLs. 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 TE, etc. (remember some of the newcomers were JUCOs and played this year).

http://emueagles.com/news/2017/2/1/emu-f...h=football

Maybe after the season ends we can update the depth charts to show those who are graduating and adding the redshirts.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 05:33 PM by emu steve.)
11-16-2017 05:21 PM
HuronRob Offline
Special Teams

You guys and your comments in this thread are what keep me coming back to this forum. Thank you very much!
11-19-2017 09:13 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I will wait until the season ends Tuesday and will come up with updated depth chart using the BG chart plus the redshirt frosh. I will then update the chart after we know about JUCOs.
11-19-2017 09:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.