Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USC Upstate to Big South
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
USC Upstate to Big South
Todd Shanesy of Spartanburg Herald-Journal says Upstate is leaving the A-Sun, going to Big South.

http://twitter.com/ToddShanesySHJ/status...3337623552

Joining in 18-19.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171115/u...conference
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017 12:08 PM by sctvman.)
11-15-2017 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: USC-Upstate to Big South
Makes a lot more geographic sense.
11-15-2017 12:04 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: USC-Upstate to Big South
good for upstate. much better geographic fit for them. kinda surprising though because the Big South and ASun seemed to have a working agreement and taking a school when your partner conference is at 8 doesn't help matters.

perhaps Liberty and USC Upstate are swapping since Liberty is going to be playing football outside of the Big South?
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017 12:10 PM by solohawks.)
11-15-2017 12:08 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
RE: USC Upstate to Big South
The problem with the A-Sun and Big South is that things are almost too good between them. One is clearly the stepping stone to the other, and it makes both of them look weak. I'd say Big South looks the weaker of the two; A-Sun's more than willing to take DII upgrades...they aren't hurting for schools.

Heck, ASun's probably got someone ready to take that spot if they feel it needs to be filled.
11-15-2017 01:00 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
ASun needs to develop into the Florida version of the Big West.
11-15-2017 01:09 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(11-15-2017 11:54 AM)sctvman Wrote:  Todd Shanesy of Spartanburg Herald-Journal says Upstate is leaving the A-Sun, going to Big South.

http://twitter.com/ToddShanesySHJ/status...3337623552

Joining in 18-19.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171115/u...conference

AWH MAN.....My nephew is going there to play baseball in 2018. I was looking forward to catching his games up here at NJIT.
11-15-2017 01:12 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
So Atlantic Sun trades USC Upstate for North Alabama.

got pretty easy travel partners now- North Alabama and Lipscomb for 1 and then Kennesaw St and NJIT. Then Jacksonville and North Florida(both in Jax), and then Florida Gulf Coast and Stetson(bit far apart but that's what's left.)
11-15-2017 01:40 PM
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
You’d think possibly the A-Sun might look at adding a school to balance out in case NJIT or Kennesaw leave to a bigger conference. Augusta, West Georgia or Valdosta State should be waiting by their phones.
11-15-2017 02:19 PM
LUbball23 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty, Notre Dame
Opens up a spot for Liberty. Bitter fit in terms of schools with support and resources. Presbyterian and Gardner Webb are having money troubles and the threat of dropping down is there. Presbyterian is already going to be moving it’s football program to the pioneer league.

The Big South will eventually stop sponsoring football
11-15-2017 03:12 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(11-15-2017 12:08 PM)solohawks Wrote:  good for upstate. much better geographic fit for them. kinda surprising though because the Big South and ASun seemed to have a working agreement and taking a school when your partner conference is at 8 doesn't help matters.

perhaps Liberty and USC Upstate are swapping since Liberty is going to be playing football outside of the Big South?

Add Delaware, Stony Brook, Albany and JMU to the mix and they have got a mini FBS league with a Florida recruiting connection. With the OVC trade Jacksonville St and EKU for Lipscomb and trade NJIT for SBU and Albany and you got a good looking future FBS conference.
11-15-2017 03:48 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
11 is a strange number for the Big South. Makes you wonder if Presbyterian dropping to D-III? Presbyterian Football dropping scholarships would not make much difference - only 3 Big South members play football anyway (USCU doesn't play football).

Liberty is still in the Big South, except Football, which is going FBS next year.

If the Big South is targeting 12, one wonders who the other target is? In the OVC now? or an HBCU who wants to shed that image? Yes, the A-SUN should focus on Florida -- perhaps FAMU.

Interesting development.
11-15-2017 03:50 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(11-15-2017 03:48 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(11-15-2017 12:08 PM)solohawks Wrote:  good for upstate. much better geographic fit for them. kinda surprising though because the Big South and ASun seemed to have a working agreement and taking a school when your partner conference is at 8 doesn't help matters.

Add Delaware, Stony Brook, Albany and JMU to the mix and they have got a mini FBS league with a Florida recruiting connection. With the OVC trade Jacksonville St and EKU for Lipscomb and trade NJIT for SBU and Albany and you got a good looking future FBS conference.

Have any two conferences ever actually "traded" schools like they were fantasy baseball players? I keep hearing from various posters that Conference A could trade School B and C to Conference D for School E and F, but I can't think of a time that's ever happened.
11-15-2017 03:51 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
what's strange about it from a football perspective is Campbell is brining football up to it next year from the Pioneer. So don't think it's necessarily at all a sign that the Big South is going to drop football.
11-15-2017 03:52 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(11-15-2017 03:50 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  11 is a strange number for the Big South. Makes you wonder if Presbyterian dropping to D-III? Presbyterian Football dropping scholarships would not make much difference - only 3 Big South members play football anyway (USCU doesn't play football).

Liberty is still in the Big South, except Football, which is going FBS next year.

If the Big South is targeting 12, one wonders who the other target is? In the OVC now? or an HBCU who wants to shed that image? Yes, the A-SUN should focus on Florida -- perhaps FAMU.

Interesting development.

The logical move for Big South football is to go 40-scholarship or non-scholarship. Especially since they wouldn't lose their NCAA playoff berth. Any program that fights to play full scholarship probably won't want to be part of the Big South for long anyway.

The main fly in the ointment there would be losing bodybag games since games against non/reduced-scholarship FCS programs don't count for bowl eligibility except as a tiebreaker for sub-.500 teams.
11-15-2017 03:55 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-15-2017 03:51 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(11-15-2017 03:48 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

Have any two conferences ever actually "traded" schools like they were fantasy baseball players? I keep hearing from various posters that Conference A could trade School B and C to Conference D for School E and F, but I can't think of a time that's ever happened.
The examples are not true trades. If a conference is raided, it almost has to take a poorer athletic program is its place. The ASun can actually move up in a dramatic fashion, which makes these swaps feasible. Before the ASun was almost the lowest of the low, taking on dII teams constantly as the better programs would get poached.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017 06:27 PM by NoDak.)
11-15-2017 04:38 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Expect Jacksonville St and E Kentucky to move to the Atlantic Sun after the FCS season. JMU, Delaware, Stony Brook, and Albany are possible too. Liberty is a given. We could be seeing the birth of a new FBS league as I foretold in previous threads.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017 06:25 PM by NoDak.)
11-15-2017 06:16 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
None of those schools are going to the A-SUN IMO.None.
11-15-2017 06:29 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-15-2017 06:29 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  None of those schools are going to the A-SUN IMO.None.

The success of WKU at FBS has only emboldened EKU to keep up. It will do what it takes to go FBS.

Jacksonville St wants what Troy has, as it considers Troy a peer school.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017 06:49 PM by NoDak.)
11-15-2017 06:48 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
OK, see what you are saying now. So A-Sun will start a new FBS conference.Good Luck.
11-15-2017 07:01 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-15-2017 07:01 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  OK, see what you are saying now. So A-Sun will start a new FBS conference.Good Luck.

First off, EKU does not want to be the peer school of Morehead St in Kentucky, as Murray St is probably leaving for the MVC.

Jacksonville St and EKU would probably get kicked out of the OVC if they moved to FBS, so they really have little choice in the matter. Moving to FBS has ramifications for both.
11-15-2017 07:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.