Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who is gonna beat us by 30 this year?
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Who is gonna beat us by 30 this year?
Last year it was SMU and UCF.

This year I am assuming Wichita St, Louisville, and UCF again. No Cincy though. They will beat us 29-2 though.
11-11-2017 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
RE: Who is gonna beat us by 30 this year?
(11-11-2017 09:16 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  Last year it was SMU and UCF.

This year I am assuming Wichita St, Louisville, and UCF again. No Cincy though. They will beat us 29-2 though.

We might have lost BJ Taylor for a chunk of the season too. Not sure when Tacko will be ready to play. I'd put a tentative cross through UCF.

Side question, how happy we're Memphis fans to hear about Pastner's run in with the NCAA?
11-11-2017 09:23 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(11-11-2017 09:23 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  

We might have lost BJ Taylor for a chunk of the season too. Not sure when Tacko will be ready to play. I'd put a tentative cross through UCF.

Side question, how happy we're Memphis fans to hear about Pastner's run in with the NCAA?

Not at all really. Pastner isnt personally hated by most Tiger fans. He just can't run a high major program. Also, because this could hit us in the ass too if there is more there.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 09:27 AM by aTxTIGER.)
11-11-2017 09:26 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators

Sorry to hear about BJ.

Alabama did beat us by double digits playing walk ons though.
11-11-2017 09:26 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

with the depth and speed we have, especially at PG, this year's bearcats will be a different look than any other Cronin team.

We will score a lot more and play a much quicker pace.

The trade off is, we will play sloppier basketball turning the ball over more (we only averaged 10 turnovers a game last year) and the other team will have more possessions on offense so by nature, our scoring defense won't look as good on paper in terms of number of points given up/game.

UC will still play defense as that is in the programs DNA but the points per game we give up will be more due to pace. (I assume/hope the points per possession will still be good though).
11-11-2017 09:35 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(11-11-2017 09:35 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

with the depth and speed we have, especially at PG, this year's bearcats will be a different look than any other Cronin team.

We will score a lot more and play a much quicker pace.

The trade off is, we will play sloppier basketball turning the ball over more (we only averaged 10 turnovers a game last year) and the other team will have more possessions on offense so by nature, our scoring defense won't look as good on paper in terms of number of points given up/game.

UC will still play defense as that is in the programs DNA but the points per game we give up will be more due to pace. (I assume/hope the points per possession will still be good though).

Ok so add Cindy to the list.
11-11-2017 09:41 AM
Advertisement

SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(11-11-2017 09:26 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

Not at all really. Pastner isnt personally hated by most Tiger fans. He just can't run a high major program. Also, because this could hit us in the ass too if there is more there.

Hadn't considered the blow back. "Look, I screwed up at GT. Maybe for a reduced charge I can tell you the **** I did at Memphis"
11-11-2017 09:42 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Depends on our moped-racing schedule.
11-11-2017 10:01 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(11-11-2017 10:01 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Depends on our moped-racing schedule.

LOLOL
11-11-2017 10:17 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(11-11-2017 09:42 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  

Hadn't considered the blow back. "Look, I screwed up at GT. Maybe for a reduced charge I can tell you the **** I did at Memphis"

It's highly unlikely there is anything on Memphis. Hell, the sneakers were from Bell to Markel to come to Ga Tech, lol. The only thing he did was buy him groceries at Memphis. Nobody is getting killed for that, unless there is a LOT more, and I doubt it.

I don't think Pastner will get more than a slap on the wrist at Ga Tech, even. Certainly not from the NCAA, who just let Bama's 5-star guard off with a one game suspension.

You can bet that kid was bought and paid for, as was the rest of Bama's 4 and 5 star Top 10 recruiting class, out of nowhere.

Hell, there were hundreds of thousands of dollars being spread around routinely in the NCAA until the FBI came along. What Bell is accusing himself and Pastner of doesn't even qualify as small potatoes.
11-11-2017 10:51 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(11-11-2017 10:51 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

It's highly unlikely there is anything on Memphis. Hell, the sneakers were from Bell to Markel to come to Ga Tech, lol. The only thing he did was buy him groceries at Memphis. Nobody is getting killed for that, unless there is a LOT more, and I doubt it.

I don't think Pastner will get more than a slap on the wrist at Ga Tech, even. Certainly not from the NCAA, who just let Bama's 5-star guard off with a one game suspension.

You can bet that kid was bought and paid for, as was the rest of Bama's 4 and 5 star Top 10 recruiting class, out of nowhere.

Hell, there were hundreds of thousands of dollars being spread around routinely in the NCAA until the FBI came along. What Bell is accusing himself and Pastner of doesn't even qualify as small potatoes.

Yup.

I'm more afraid of them digging into Pastner other Memphis stuff....specifically the Barton recruitment.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 01:51 PM by aTxTIGER.)
11-11-2017 01:50 PM
Advertisement

AndShock Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wichita State
Wichita State will name the score against Memphis. Gregg might respect Tubby enough to leave it at 20.
11-11-2017 02:09 PM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

I don't like threads like these. I was a Memphis fan for many years. I can be quoted on multiple occasions comparing Wichita State to Memphis and how we could one day mirror their rise to national prominence. To see that prognostication become reality is bittersweet as instead of joining Memphis, we merely replaced them. This just shows how damned important a good coach is. When you get lucky enough to nab one, don't let him go under any circumstances. Don't build that "athletic village"; put that $10-20M straight into your coach's pocket and lock him down for 7 years. You want to compete with the class of college athletics then you're gonna have to pay up.

Now that Coach-2 has been removed from the board, Gregg Marshall is very close to entering the top 5 highest paid coaches in college basketball. I think he's #6 right now at $3.5M barely behind Thugs.

I know Memphis fans said that they threw everything at Calipari but I bet that isn't the whole truth. Maybe you can't stop a guy from going to Kentucky, but I bet $10M a year would have slammed the brakes on the moving truck. Calipari still at Memphis locking down top 10 recruiting classes and reaching Final Fours is easily worth $10M a year to the city of Memphis and the university - particularly in retrospect.

T

...03-cool
11-11-2017 02:33 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(11-11-2017 01:50 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  
(11-11-2017 10:51 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(11-11-2017 09:23 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  We might have lost BJ Taylor for a chunk of the season too. Not sure when Tacko will be ready to play. I'd put a tentative cross through UCF.

Yup.

I'm more afraid of them digging into Pastner other Memphis stuff....specifically the Barton recruitment.

Relax. There is a 5 year statute of limitations. Barton was recruited in 2010. He was gone in April of 2012. And none of those peeps are around any more, so the FBI wouldn't give a crap.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 10:33 PM by TripleA.)
11-11-2017 10:31 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

I think Cincy will join the club. Their offense is potent now.
11-11-2017 10:38 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

I wish Pastner no ill will, but I am indifferent to his fate. Tubby is our coach now and my focus is on his performance.

I hope UCF get up to full speed. It could be a special season for the Knights.
11-11-2017 10:46 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(11-11-2017 02:33 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  I don't like threads like these. I was a Memphis fan for many years. I can be quoted on multiple occasions comparing Wichita State to Memphis and how we could one day mirror their rise to national prominence. To see that prognostication become reality is bittersweet as instead of joining Memphis, we merely replaced them. This just shows how damned important a good coach is. When you get lucky enough to nab one, don't let him go under any circumstances. Don't build that "athletic village"; put that $10-20M straight into your coach's pocket and lock him down for 7 years. You want to compete with the class of college athletics then you're gonna have to pay up.

Now that Coach-2 has been removed from the board, Gregg Marshall is very close to entering the top 5 highest paid coaches in college basketball. I think he's #6 right now at $3.5M barely behind Thugs.

I know Memphis fans said that they threw everything at Calipari but I bet that isn't the whole truth. Maybe you can't stop a guy from going to Kentucky, but I bet $10M a year would have slammed the brakes on the moving truck. Calipari still at Memphis locking down top 10 recruiting classes and reaching Final Fours is easily worth $10M a year to the city of Memphis and the university - particularly in retrospect.

T

...03-cool

You don't know what you're talking about. UK offered Calipari a 10-year package worth about $34M.

Memphis offered Calipari a 10-year package worth about $60M, including FedEx stock, several lifetime corporate BoD appointments, etc. Remember, this was 8 1/2 years ago.

Cal wasn't staying under any circumstances. The NCAA had already sent us a letter in November of 2008 notifying us of an investigation, another in January with more info, and then 1 more after the season, plus two to Derrick Rose.

None of that became public until May, 2009, after Cal had already snagged the UK job. If it had been known, he likely couldn't have landed the UK job. Back in January, Cal talked our AD into keeping it private. Dan Wolken finally broke the story in May.

So, back in November, 2008, Cal started looking for a landing place. He put out feelers to several places, and had a long interview process with Arizona, including flying his wife out there to look at houses.

Something went wrong (not sure what), and Cal's bud Sean Miller wound up with that job. Cal continued looking, and was still doing so, right up until UK offered him.

He also was looking at the NBA at that time. But he was gone, no matter who offered what, b/c he wasn't hanging around Memphis for the pending NCAA sanctions.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 10:52 PM by TripleA.)
11-11-2017 10:50 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(11-11-2017 10:50 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(11-11-2017 02:33 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  I don't like threads like these. I was a Memphis fan for many years. I can be quoted on multiple occasions comparing Wichita State to Memphis and how we could one day mirror their rise to national prominence. To see that prognostication become reality is bittersweet as instead of joining Memphis, we merely replaced them. This just shows how damned important a good coach is. When you get lucky enough to nab one, don't let him go under any circumstances. Don't build that "athletic village"; put that $10-20M straight into your coach's pocket and lock him down for 7 years. You want to compete with the class of college athletics then you're gonna have to pay up.

T

...03-cool

You don't know what you're talking about. UK offered Calipari a 10-year package worth about $34M.

Memphis offered Calipari a 10-year package worth about $60M, including FedEx stock, several lifetime corporate BoD appointments, etc. Remember, this was 8 1/2 years ago.

Cal wasn't staying under any circumstances. The NCAA had already sent us a letter in November of 2008 notifying us of an investigation, another in January with more info, and then 1 more after the season, plus two to Derrick Rose.

None of that became public until May, 2009, after Cal had already snagged the UK job. If it had been known, he likely couldn't have landed the UK job. Back in January, Cal talked our AD into keeping it private. Dan Wolken finally broke the story in May.

So, back in November, 2008, Cal started looking for a landing place. He put out feelers to several places, and had a long interview process with Arizona, including flying his wife out there to look at houses.

Something went wrong (not sure what), and Cal's bud Sean Miller wound up with that job. Cal continued looking, and was still doing so, right up until UK offered him.

He also was looking at the NBA at that time. But he was gone, no matter who offered what, b/c he wasn't hanging around Memphis for the pending NCAA sanctions.

Yup. He was gone after 2009 regardless. Absolutely nothing could be done.
11-13-2017 01:21 AM
Shockem Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WSU
(11-13-2017 01:21 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

T

...03-cool

Yup. He was gone after 2009 regardless. Absolutely nothing could be done.

Hopefully Tubby can get things turned around, retire, and Memphis can hire a great young energetic coach for the long term. I agree, Memphis needs to be in the upper tier of this conference.
11-13-2017 12:34 PM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

T

...03-cool

Oh yeah... I forgot you guys told me about the investigation he knew about that few others did. He was able to get into another job before the hammer fell. Sneaky bastard. You did all you could. It wasn't meant to be. I'll never bring it up again.

T

...03-cool
11-13-2017 01:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.