Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The History of US Immigration
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The History of US Immigration
http://www.flowofhistory.org/themes/move...meline.php

Interesting to see the history of US immigration.
11-06-2017 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: The History of US Immigration
Interesting to see that as late as 1921, there were no limits on immigrants from the Western Hemisphere.
11-07-2017 12:59 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
As late as 1921? 96 years ago qualifies under "as late as"?
11-07-2017 01:12 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(11-07-2017 12:59 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Interesting to see that as late as 1921, there were no limits on immigrants from the Western Hemisphere.

Mostly Canadians at that time, some Mexicans, as far as the W. Hemisphere. As far as Europe, Italy, Russia, Hungary were active, still had Brits and Germans coming.
11-07-2017 01:46 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(11-07-2017 01:12 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  As late as 1921? 96 years ago qualifies under "as late as"?

I guess if you are really young, that seems like a long time ago. My dad was born however in 1934 and he's still alive so it doesn't seem that long ago to me.

My grandmother who just passed away last summer was born in Mexico in 1919 so this law could have affected her.
11-07-2017 01:52 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
The Emergency Quota Act was passed into law in 1921. The act limited the number of immigrants that were allowed to come to the United States. The yearly limits that were created restricted the number of immigrants from any country to three percent of the number of people from a country already living in the USA as of the 1910 census. Notably, it did not restrict immigration from Latin America and professionals were also excluded from the limits, no matter their nationality.

The main reasons for the act was unemployment was going through the roof after World War I ended and communicable disease was increasingly being brought in from elsewhere. As an example, Ellis Island was quarantined due to a continuous typhus outbreak that year.
11-07-2017 01:54 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It would be rather simplistic to point at general statistics as being informative of current policy.

In truth, American immigration policy/law has always been pragmatic, as opposed to emotional.

It would be pragmatic to push back against mass illegal immigration at this point in time. The history of American immigration is informative on that in its own way.
11-07-2017 07:45 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(11-07-2017 12:59 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Interesting to see that as late as 1921, there were no limits on immigrants from the Western Hemisphere.

As late as 1921 we still had a need for mass migration. That's no longer the case.
11-07-2017 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.