Man that is sad!!

Brian
11-06-2017 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
RE: OT: When "Rivalries" Go Bad
This kind of reminds me of my High School - Tucker High. To the students when I was in school, Godwin was our #1 rival. But Godwin and Freeman viewed each other as their rival. My senior year they started calling our annual game against Hermitage "The Cat Bowl" and had a trophy made. We were all like "okay I guess (this was back before Herm was a state powerhouse)". I do remember the first Cat Bowl was a shootout and back and forth affair. We won on the last play and rushed halfway onto the field before being like wait why are we doing this.
11-06-2017 03:40 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(11-06-2017 03:40 PM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  This kind of reminds me of my High School - Tucker High. To the students when I was in school, Godwin was our #1 rival. But Godwin and Freeman viewed each other as their rival. My senior year they started calling our annual game against Hermitage "The Cat Bowl" and had a trophy made. We were all like "okay I guess (this was back before Herm was a state powerhouse)". I do remember the first Cat Bowl was a shootout and back and forth affair. We won on the last play and rushed halfway onto the field before being like wait why are we doing this.

[Image: SleepyCharles.gif]
11-06-2017 06:55 PM
s2dsayer Offline
All American

I Root For: Duuuuukes
(11-06-2017 03:40 PM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  This kind of reminds me of my High School - Tucker High. To the students when I was in school, Godwin was our #1 rival. But Godwin and Freeman viewed each other as their rival. My senior year they started calling our annual game against Hermitage "The Cat Bowl" and had a trophy made. We were all like "okay I guess (this was back before Herm was a state powerhouse)". I do remember the first Cat Bowl was a shootout and back and forth affair. We won on the last play and rushed halfway onto the field before being like wait why are we doing this.

Proud former Godwin Eagle here....I hated Tucker and Freeman equally 04-cheers
11-06-2017 08:05 PM
bobbyjmu Offline
Special Teams

Former Hermitage Panther, long before it was known as Herm. Didn't know that Tucker had a football team.
11-06-2017 08:10 PM
Advertisement

JMU83 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
(11-06-2017 06:55 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

When my kids were at Godwin, the students would have a cheer, "not our rivals" directed at JRTucker.
11-06-2017 08:20 PM
bobbyjmu Offline
Special Teams

All in good fun. My son graduated from Tucker, they weren't too fond of Deep Run kids.
11-06-2017 08:23 PM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

(11-06-2017 08:20 PM)JMU83 Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 06:55 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

When my kids were at Godwin, the students would have a cheer, "not our rivals" directed at JRTucker.

Yep heard that chant multiple times.

(11-06-2017 08:23 PM)bobbyjmu Wrote:  All in good fun. My son graduated from Tucker, they weren't too fond of Deep Run kids.

I think deep run started after I graduated. Actually I would have gone to Deep Run if I was younger. Makes sense.
11-06-2017 09:09 PM
DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

My wife went to high school with Dirty.

Don’t have any good stories but I’m sure I could ask her about any stupid things you did back in the day.
11-06-2017 09:23 PM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

(11-06-2017 09:23 PM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  My wife went to high school with Dirty.

Don’t have any good stories but I’m sure I could ask her about any stupid things you did back in the day.

For real?! What was her maiden last name?
11-06-2017 09:50 PM
Advertisement

jmu007 Offline
All American

Hmmm, so the wife and I plan on buying a house somewhere out here in Henrico in the next year. Which school district are we shooting for to set ourselves up for "rivalry" supremacy for decades to come? Present your arguments, go!
11-06-2017 09:57 PM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

Probably Herm?
11-06-2017 09:58 PM
madizoned-level2004 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU and Rutgers
11-06-2017 09:59 PM
DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

(11-06-2017 09:58 PM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  Probably Herm?

You’re on the right track.

V** Her*****

Think German. Like really German.
11-06-2017 10:20 PM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

(11-06-2017 10:20 PM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 09:58 PM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  Probably Herm?

You’re on the right track.

V** Her*****

Think German. Like really German.

Whaaaaaaaaaaa. You're the man. So is she. Well, the lady. I was pretty lame in HS other than a few New Years that got weird.

Also I totally thought your initials were DBJ but now I know what they are!
11-06-2017 11:18 PM
Advertisement

formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

(11-06-2017 08:05 PM)s2dsayer Wrote:  

Played football at Freeman. Tucker and Highland Springs were our big rivals in the late 70's - early 80's. I believe Godwin opened my final year at Freeman. Our 1977 team was 12-1 and we lost 7-0 in the state semifinals to eventual state champ Hampton. Talk about a good defense, we allowed only 42 points in 13 games.

10,000 fans at the Freeman (8-0) vs Highland Springs (8-0) regular season game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLPpq3loePc
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017 08:13 AM by formerjmusprinter84.)
11-07-2017 08:08 AM
s2dsayer Offline
All American

(11-07-2017 08:08 AM)formerjmusprinter84 Wrote:  

Played football at Freeman. Tucker and Highland Springs were our big rivals in the late 70's - early 80's. I believe Godwin opened my final year at Freeman. Our 1977 team was 12-1 and we lost 7-0 in the state semifinals to eventual state champ Hampton. Talk about a good defense, we allowed only 42 points in 13 games.

10,000 fans at the Freeman (8-0) vs Highland Springs (8-0) regular season game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLPpq3loePc

I think Godwin opened in '80 or somewhere thereabouts. I started there in '84...had a great team that year, lost the perfect reg season in the finale to a mediocre Tucker team. That one still baffles me. Our QB was Greg Lancaster who as I recall went on to have a disastrous career at...JMU
11-07-2017 06:00 PM
Harrisonburger Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-07-2017 06:00 PM)s2dsayer Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 08:08 AM)formerjmusprinter84 Wrote:  

I think Godwin opened in '80 or somewhere thereabouts. I started there in '84...had a great team that year, lost the perfect reg season in the finale to a mediocre Tucker team. That one still baffles me. Our QB was Greg Lancaster who as I recall went on to have a disastrous career at...JMU

Then you know Ron Axselle. He was my OL coach a few years before that at Henrico. He was at Godwin when they opened and has quite a legacy there, but he actually had a life before that.
11-07-2017 09:23 PM
s2dsayer Offline
All American

(11-07-2017 09:23 PM)Harrisonburger Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 06:00 PM)s2dsayer Wrote:  I think Godwin opened in '80 or somewhere thereabouts. I started there in '84...had a great team that year, lost the perfect reg season in the finale to a mediocre Tucker team. That one still baffles me. Our QB was Greg Lancaster who as I recall went on to have a disastrous career at...JMU

Then you know Ron Axselle. He was my OL coach a few years before that at Henrico. He was at Godwin when they opened and has quite a legacy there, but he actually had a life before that.

I just realized how my post reads...I meant I started high school there in '84, didn't start for the team in '84. I'm 5'4" and weigh a buck-oh-five, I was too small to be the friggin' waterboy lol. I do remember Axselle though
11-07-2017 10:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.