Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Remember 2013 Fiesta Bowl with UCF and Baylor?
knightmite Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
Remember 2013 Fiesta Bowl with UCF and Baylor?
I was thinking back to when #15 UCF played #5 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl. Everyone on ESPN and other networks didn't give UCF a chance. Some were even laughing and criticizing the format for even allowing UCF to play in that game. The bias is much worse now especially with the CP committee. We may live in a democracy but we play in a cartel. I really hope UCF can win out and do the same thing this year. It would not only be great for UCF but for the AAC. The quality of the AAC far exceeds the money we get in comparision to the P5. Now imagine what we could do if we could hold on to our great coaches.
11-05-2017 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Remember 2013 Fiesta Bowl with UCF and Baylor?
It's nice to see the trajectory of both programs.
11-05-2017 05:20 PM
knightmite Offline
1st String

(11-05-2017 05:20 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  It's nice to see the trajectory of both programs.

Yes..along with Louisville who UCF also beat that year. 04-rock
11-06-2017 07:53 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
The Fiesta bowl argument should be used to hammer the CFP this year
11-06-2017 08:14 AM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal

11-06-2017 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(11-05-2017 05:19 PM)knightmite Wrote:  I was thinking back to when #15 UCF played #5 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl. Everyone on ESPN and other networks didn't give UCF a chance. Some were even laughing and criticizing the format for even allowing UCF to play in that game. The bias is much worse now especially with the CP committee. We may live in a democracy but we play in a cartel. I really hope UCF can win out and do the same thing this year. It would not only be great for UCF but for the AAC. The quality of the AAC far exceeds the money we get in comparision to the P5. Now imagine what we could do if we could hold on to our great coaches.

Yeah, remember the ESPN Bowl Pick'Em Show where they gave Baylor the most confidence points and basically said there was 0% chance UCF would win?
11-06-2017 10:43 AM
Advertisement

fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
(11-05-2017 05:19 PM)knightmite Wrote:  I was thinking back to when #15 UCF played #5 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl. Everyone on ESPN and other networks didn't give UCF a chance. Some were even laughing and criticizing the format for even allowing UCF to play in that game. The bias is much worse now especially with the CP committee. We may live in a democracy but we play in a cartel. I really hope UCF can win out and do the same thing this year. It would not only be great for UCF but for the AAC. The quality of the AAC far exceeds the money we get in comparision to the P5. Now imagine what we could do if we could hold on to our great coaches.

In fairness, we do not live in a Democracy. We live in a Republic. As such, a small group of people making decisions as the CFP does, is more similar to our form of government than you are giving them credit for.
11-06-2017 11:00 AM
coogrfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston

+1...especially since there's no way my Coogs can face UCF this season. Go get 'em, Knights! 02-13-banana
11-06-2017 11:12 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
The Baylor team that was overrated and full of rapists?
11-06-2017 11:40 AM
Sellular1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

I also remember UCF not even being ranked to start the next season. You know I hate UCF, but even I admit that was pretty big slap.
11-06-2017 12:40 PM
knightmite Offline
1st String

(11-06-2017 11:00 AM)fanhood Wrote:  

In fairness, we do not live in a Democracy. We live in a Republic. As such, a small group of people making decisions as the CFP does, is more similar to our form of government than you are giving them credit for.

We actually live in both. And you are wrong about the CFP being similar to our form of government. Did you vote for the members? Did anyone outside of the P5 vote for anyone. The CPC is definitely a representative body. However, it only represents the P5.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volo...f125b4d3e3
11-06-2017 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
(11-06-2017 11:40 AM)shere khan Wrote:  The Baylor team that was overrated and full of rapists?
how were they overrated? because they lost to UCF? they won the big 12 and put a whooping on oklahoma who then beat down alabama in the sugar bowl.

and being full of rapists doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they played football at a high level.
11-06-2017 01:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CougarPoop Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The DOW!!!
That "being competitive" narrative has been established for many years, going back to Utah B**** slapping Alabama and Boise State over Oklahoma. And more recently has played out with UCF and UH. Fortunately, Utah and TCU got the call up.. Deservedly so..

The cartel knows that if teams like UH, UCF, USF, Memphis etc are all granted a level playing field, we would be ultra competitive on and off the field, in recruiting, and in all sports. That takes money from their greedy coffers. See the recent UH to B12 **** show. Oklahoma and Texas would be fine. It's the tit suckers like Tech, UK, Iowa State (This year an outlier), Vandy, Illinois etc that are so against it. We will never catch a break in rankings or respect. I'm still surprised that UH has reached 6th in 2011 and 2015.

UH will never get 100,000 fans to a game or generate the national viewing audience like Alabama, LSU, Texas etc, but we sure as hell can compete with the others. I think the AAC has proved it in it's short existence.

I hope the day comes where the FBS reclassifies and some of these leeches that have held the golden goose since the BCS era get relegated to the G4.
11-06-2017 01:54 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(11-06-2017 01:54 PM)CougarPoop Wrote:  That "being competitive" narrative has been established for many years, going back to Utah B**** slapping Alabama and Boise State over Oklahoma. And more recently has played out with UCF and UH. Fortunately, Utah and TCU got the call up.. Deservedly so..

The cartel knows that if teams like UH, UCF, USF, Memphis etc are all granted a level playing field, we would be ultra competitive on and off the field, in recruiting, and in all sports. That takes money from their greedy coffers. See the recent UH to B12 **** show. Oklahoma and Texas would be fine. It's the tit suckers like Tech, UK, Iowa State (This year an outlier), Vandy, Illinois etc that are so against it. We will never catch a break in rankings or respect. I'm still surprised that UH has reached 6th in 2011 and 2015.

UH will never get 100,000 fans to a game or generate the national viewing audience like Alabama, LSU, Texas etc, but we sure as hell can compete with the others. I think the AAC has proved it in it's short existence.

I hope the day comes where the FBS reclassifies and some of these leeches that have held the golden goose since the BCS era get relegated to the G4.

Why can't Houston draw at least 60K per game? It certainly has a big enough population to do so.

I don't know if it's even possible to draw big cowds in the current AAC, but Louisville got called up to the P5 shortly after making stadium improvements, increasing their capacity. I don't think that hurt their chances of the call up. WV always drew nice crowds, especially considering the limited populous location.

What I don't understand is why teams from this conference can't average 45K or more per game considering some of the teams have big populations. I don't think 45K is asking too much, when the P5 have multiple teams averaging over 100K (or near it) per game. I don't think 45K is asking too much from most of the teams. Perhaps not every team but most I would hope.
11-06-2017 02:11 PM
knightmite Offline
1st String

Brian Mazique from the Bleacher Report stated. "Without a doubt, the Knights can't win a shootout with the Bears. UCF doesn't have the necessary weapons at skill positions to compete with a Baylor offense that averaged a nation's best 53.3 points per game.

Pulling this major upset starts with defense. Asking the Knights to shut down Baylor is unrealistic. The Bears were held under 30 points just one time this season."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/19070...-vs-baylor
11-06-2017 03:02 PM
CornellCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Cornell
UCF beating Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl was excellent.

I hated Baylor before hating Baylor became cool.
11-06-2017 06:13 PM
Advertisement

fanhood Offline
All American

(11-06-2017 01:33 PM)knightmite Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 11:00 AM)fanhood Wrote:  

We actually live in both. And you are wrong about the CFP being similar to our form of government. Did you vote for the members? Did anyone outside of the P5 vote for anyone. The CPC is definitely a representative body. However, it only represents the P5.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volo...f125b4d3e3

Hence the word "more similar."

And no, the P5 is not only represented. However, we agree in sentiment. like the basketball committee only those who are lemmings will be chosen as G5 or Mid Major
Reps.

I have a close personal friend who was an Athletics Director for 20 years at a "High Major. He explained how this works to me on a number of occasions. The "Mid Major" or "non power" reps are always chosen based on their personality traits. The personality traits sought after are those that want to quickly rise to the P5 level, or are those that will not challenge the power brokers. He named names and listed examples for over 20 years, who who was chosen, what their history was, what their personalities, were and even gave anecdotes of times they were at conference meetings or committee meetings and they went along with the crowd even when privately disagreeing. It was fascinating to listen to, as he knew most of them personally.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 09:30 PM by fanhood.)
11-06-2017 09:20 PM
fanhood Offline
All American

(11-06-2017 02:11 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 01:54 PM)CougarPoop Wrote:  That "being competitive" narrative has been established for many years, going back to Utah B**** slapping Alabama and Boise State over Oklahoma. And more recently has played out with UCF and UH. Fortunately, Utah and TCU got the call up.. Deservedly so..

Why can't Houston draw at least 60K per game? It certainly has a big enough population to do so.

I don't know if it's even possible to draw big cowds in the current AAC, but Louisville got called up to the P5 shortly after making stadium improvements, increasing their capacity. I don't think that hurt their chances of the call up. WV always drew nice crowds, especially considering the limited populous location.

What I don't understand is why teams from this conference can't average 45K or more per game considering some of the teams have big populations. I don't think 45K is asking too much, when the P5 have multiple teams averaging over 100K (or near it) per game. I don't think 45K is asking too much from most of the teams. Perhaps not every team but most I would hope.

Why can't Temple draw 60k? Simple answer.........the BCS/P5 vs Non-BCS/G5 dichotomy.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 09:32 PM by fanhood.)
11-06-2017 09:32 PM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
[Image: dd930cd9065e3a2e8fae90fa1507403f--funny-...-ha-ha.jpg]
11-06-2017 09:43 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(11-06-2017 09:32 PM)fanhood Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 02:11 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  

Why can't Temple draw 60k? Simple answer.........the BCS/P5 vs Non-BCS/G5 dichotomy.

I not sure what you are saying so I'll interpret my version. Temple drew 65+ two years ago against PSU and ND at home. Sure half those fans were for the opposing team, but the stadium was still filled for both games.

The answer is to schedule top OOC competition willing to visit, even if it's 2 for 1 AND somehow get the AAC to have a pedigree program or two. I think Clemson is on some AAC school's future schedule, for example. We need at least two or three Clemson-like OOC teams per year, if possible. Maybe one or two of the Florida schools could develop into marquee programs or Houston, Cincy, etc.

It's a shame that the Boise State/SDST addition didn't work out because competition-wise it would have been best for all the AAC.
11-06-2017 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.