Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Elon's Growth
Bookmark and Share
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
Elon's Growth
I remember a few short season's ago when the conference added Stony Brook, Albany and Elon, posters were going crazy. None of them were worthy. My how things change. Towson and William and Mary are bottom feeders and Mighty Elon is undefeated in league play and will play JMU for the Conference Championship in a couple of weeks!

Kind of like when Charles Barkley quipped that the world is upside down when the best rapper in the world is a white guy and the best golfer is black.

Go
11-04-2017 08:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Elon's Growth
(11-04-2017 08:01 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  I remember a few short season's ago when the conference added Stony Brook, Albany and Elon, posters were going crazy. None of them were worthy. My how things change. Towson and William and Mary are bottom feeders and Mighty Elon is undefeated in league play and will play JMU for the Conference Championship in a couple of weeks!

Kind of like when Charles Barkley quipped that the world is upside down when the best rapper in the world is a white guy and the best golfer is black.

Go

What is a rapper and what does he do?
11-04-2017 08:09 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
good for them. They had some good teams in the late 2000s, then fell off a cliff after Lembo left.
11-04-2017 08:09 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(11-04-2017 08:01 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  I remember a few short season's ago when the conference added Stony Brook, Albany and Elon, posters were going crazy. None of them were worthy. My how things change. Towson and William and Mary are bottom feeders and Mighty Elon is undefeated in league play and will play JMU for the Conference Championship in a couple of weeks!

Go

So we should rejoice in the fact that a tiny regional liberal arts school has not only passed us by in the South masters regional academic ranking, and out-performed us in Men's and Women's basketball, but is now nipping at our heels in football (with a fraction of the resources)? How exactly do you take pleasure in that?

I just don't get relishing in "I told you so's" about how easy it is for a small program to rip through our conference. Makes FCS even more of a joke.
11-04-2017 09:17 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I was waiting for a Union Bank & Trust Center discussion thread to bring this up, but this is just as good a place. Elon has a new Arena opening next year. It is being built much cheaper than JMU's new arena and has several design flaws, but it is a HUGE improvement over the high school gym they play in now.

check it out

11-04-2017 09:44 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Reminds me a lot of VCU's Seigel Center.
11-04-2017 09:56 PM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(11-04-2017 09:56 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Reminds me a lot of VCU's Seigel Center.

Reminds me of Hofstra with the walls.
11-04-2017 10:26 PM
jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(11-04-2017 09:17 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

Go

So we should rejoice in the fact that a tiny regional liberal arts school has not only passed us by in the South masters regional academic ranking, and out-performed us in Men's and Women's basketball, but is now nipping at our heels in football (with a fraction of the resources)? How exactly do you take pleasure in that?

I just don't get relishing in "I told you so's" about how easy it is for a small program to rip through our conference. Makes FCS even more of a joke.

I have a feeling they have some bucks 2 and a different accountant.
11-05-2017 06:07 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon

Go

Elon has poured a LOT of money into campus improvements. Both academic and athletic. It's been improving certainly but it still has plenty of room more improvement. Basketball has been pretty good for a few years but as of now, this is ONE year in football. Elon isn't nipping at your heals. We have to sustain this success and then see what happens when we have to find a new coach when Cignetti leaves for a better job (due to said success).
11-05-2017 07:05 AM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

Elon is not a well respected school in the state of NC

Our association with them is not good for JMU
11-05-2017 07:12 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-04-2017 10:26 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 09:56 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Reminds me a lot of VCU's Seigel Center.

Reminds me of Hofstra with the walls.

Sadly those walls make me think of the Union Center wall, the one thing that feels like a flaw in our design. It feels incomplete to me, like a building that should have more seats, but to make it smaller they walled off a section.

Overall, Elon’s “convocation center” is a lot nicer than our own convo, and will be complete before the Union. it actually feels like a slightly smaller version of ours with a seating/club area and practice courts, etc.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 08:34 AM by JMURocks.)
11-05-2017 08:32 AM
Advertisement

JMU83 Offline
Special Teams

(11-05-2017 07:12 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  Elon is not a well respected school in the state of NC

Why?
Back in my day, they were as easy to get into as VT. But just like
VT, they have improved their academics.
11-05-2017 08:57 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(11-04-2017 08:09 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  What is a rapper and what does he do?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminem
11-05-2017 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
(11-05-2017 08:57 AM)JMU83 Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 07:12 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  Elon is not a well respected school in the state of NC

Why?
Back in my day, they were as easy to get into as VT. But just like
VT, they have improved their academics.

I always thought that Elon was a good academic school- kind of like a Davidson. Maybe the other big Universities in NC don't respect them but NC (like Virginia) has a lot of quality colleges and Universities- no shame in that.
11-05-2017 11:25 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu

Go

I don't agree with this- At JMU we have our own trajectory, we stand on our own merits- it's mutually exclusive with the growth of schools like Elon and Stony Brook and what the CAA as a whole is doing.

These schools were good mid major adds by the CAA based on geography and their growth. Stony Brook would have been a good all sports add. I don't see them competing with JMU in football in the near future (we'll see on the field the separation in 2 weeks). Other sports with a lower amount of scholarships it's more likely but then again Rhode Island has always been better than JMU in Men's Hoops but we crush them in Football.

I don't put a limit on the number of peer schools for JMU- it's not a special restricted club. IMO there is no down side to playing against these schools even if they may not be conference mates in the future. BSKB is right Elon was often used as the example for how sucky the CAA is and they have acquitted themselves well- not just within the conference but through some respectable performance out of conference.
11-05-2017 11:34 AM
HotHamandCheese84 Offline
Special Teams

Elon is a very well respected school in NC and in our region. It is on par with the University of Richmond for academics.
11-05-2017 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-05-2017 11:34 AM)HotHamandCheese84 Wrote:  

Elon is a very well respected school in NC and in our region. It is on par with the University of Richmond for academics.

+1

I'd add, the Elon administration looks at JMU as an aspirational school (in other words, the institution that Elon uses as a model for future growth).
11-05-2017 12:52 PM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

I watched a good portion of the Elon broadcast yesterday. I was really impressed with the overall presentation.. I thought they did a particularly good job with their prepared halftime segments and the transitions between segments.

Overall, the high caliber of the student-athletes that were interviewed was evident. I was left with a very favorable impression of the university.
11-05-2017 01:04 PM
HotHamandCheese84 Offline
Special Teams

Elon is a fun place to watch a game and we need to bring a ton of people there on November 18. Get tickets now.
11-05-2017 01:05 PM
olddawg Online
Hall of Famer

Rhodes Stadium (11,250 cap.) is a very nice small stadium. It has a beautiful football support facility in the end zone (Architecturally, on the football field side, their support facility is much nicer looking than ours). And they have a great amount of hillside overflow seating. Good place to watch a game.

[Image: fNiKf4MQrMRjaZaB.jpg]

[Image: 0c4b9c9531c191158057a8d1d06ff5a8--footba...rhodes.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 01:29 PM by olddawg.)
11-05-2017 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.