Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] ESPN lost over 13 million subscribers - will have 3rd round of layoffs by December
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
[split] ESPN lost over 13 million subscribers - will have 3rd round of layoffs by December
ESPN, your sports and politics in one channel, continues to lose viewers. Expected to lay off around 60 more employees for a total of close to 500 total. The layoffs are expected to include on air and radio personalities and are in response to the loss of revenue. Oh well ---
10-27-2017 08:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: ESPN lost over 13 million subscribers - will have 3rd round of layoffs by December
ESPCNN. Awful.
10-27-2017 08:09 PM
Ocalabull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
RE: ESPN lost over 13 million subscribers - will have 3rd round of layoffs by December
It's crazy how they are slowly self destructing and continue to spew the **** that is causing it.
10-27-2017 08:12 PM
Ocalabull Offline
Special Teams

(10-27-2017 08:29 PM)fanhood Wrote:  I enjoy this, as I despise ESPN.

However, those that are expecting some massive pay raise for the AAC should take notice to this. I find it highly, highly unlikely, that the AAC will get anywhere close to what many here desire. Expect ~$3 million or so.

Maybe they should just stick to airing sports and not push a political agenda down our throats. People watch sports as an escape from that crap...
10-27-2017 08:35 PM
fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
(10-27-2017 08:35 PM)Ocalabull Wrote:  

However, those that are expecting some massive pay raise for the AAC should take notice to this. I find it highly, highly unlikely, that the AAC will get anywhere close to what many here desire. Expect ~$3 million or so.

Maybe they should just stick to airing sports and not push a political agenda down our throats. People watch sports as an escape from that crap...

Agreed 100%. I only watch ESPN when games are on. That is it.

Just five years ago, I would have ESPN on all day in the background while I worked.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2017 08:36 PM by fanhood.)
10-27-2017 08:36 PM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
(10-27-2017 08:36 PM)fanhood Wrote:  

Just five years ago, I would have ESPN on all day in the background while I worked.

This!
10-27-2017 08:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
And somehow those race baiting liberal political analysts on the 6 will survive the cuts
10-27-2017 09:57 PM
MemTiger90 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(10-27-2017 09:57 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  And somehow those race baiting liberal political analysts on the 6 will survive the cuts

That is such an awful waste of 30 minutes each day. Terrible show
10-27-2017 11:58 PM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-27-2017 08:12 PM)Ocalabull Wrote:  It's crazy how they are slowly self destructing and continue to spew the **** that is causing it.

The NFL is not doing them any favors either.
10-28-2017 07:30 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2017 06:56 AM)KnightNasty Wrote:  This is not good for us guys. The people celebrating this and happy about it aren't getting it. The AAC is a business and ESPN is our biggest customer. Them going in the tank is really bad for business. We need them rolling in money...

^^this^^

People are cutting the chord because of the high cost of service and changes in technology that allows ppl to,watch the games they are interested whenever and wherever they want.

Unfortunately for the AAC, this could bite us in the ass b/c ESPN could easily do without AAC programming if they have to prioritize the properties they invest in.

BTW, let's just cut the crap about the liberal bias on the network. They broadcast sports 24/7 and an extremely small percentage of their content strays into politics. The supposed liberal bias is being played up by a direct competitor in Fox...and just part of today's media and political climate.

Please note, don't take this as a defense of ESPN. I stopped watching when they doubled down on putting clueless talking heads like Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith on the air. Plus as a longtime Florida/Central Florida resident I nvr liked Jemmel Hill as a reporter at the Orlando Sentinel, as our Knight friends would attest. Her politics is her business...

Bottom line is that we need to ESPN to be successful so our programs can have a chance at increased TV revenues. If they fail, we fail b/c it's unlikely we'll get a better TV deal from another network as they are ALL doing much worse than ESPN.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 09:56 AM by CyberBull.)
10-28-2017 09:43 AM
Shockit Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wichita State
(10-28-2017 09:43 AM)CyberBull Wrote:  
(10-28-2017 06:56 AM)KnightNasty Wrote:  This is not good for us guys. The people celebrating this and happy about it aren't getting it. The AAC is a business and ESPN is our biggest customer. Them going in the tank is really bad for business. We need them rolling in money...

^^this^^

People are cutting the chord because of the high cost of service and changes in technology that allows ppl to,watch the games they are interested whenever and wherever they want.

Unfortunately for the AAC, this could bite us in the ass b/c ESPN could easily do without AAC programming if they have to prioritize the properties they invest in.

BTW, let's just cut the crap about the liberal bias on the network. They broadcast sports 24/7 and an extremely small percentage of their content strays into politics. The supposed liberal bias is being played up by a direct competitor in Fox...and just part of today's media and political climate.

Please note, don't take this as a defense of ESPN. I stopped watching when they doubled down on putting clueless talking heads like Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith on the air. Plus as a longtime Florida/Central Florida resident I nvr liked Jemmel Hill as a reporter at the Orlando Sentinel, as our Knight friends would attest. Her politics is her business...

Bottom line is that we need to ESPN to be successful so our programs can have a chance at increased TV revenues. If they fail, we fail b/c it's unlikely we'll get a better TV deal from another network as they are ALL doing much worse than ESPN.

The liberal New York/California style politics come out in statements from people they employ as well as awards events, etc. they produce. The point is that politics and sports shouldn't be mixed together. The NFL is slow to this concept too. And I don't support Trump (although he was elected by a whole bunch of fed up people who would vote all of the current ruling class out). I'm just a midwesterner from a flyover state who is fed up with coastal politics and the elites taking over our culture.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 10:18 AM by Shockit.)
10-28-2017 10:17 AM
Advertisement

ShockerFever Online
Heisman

(10-28-2017 09:43 AM)CyberBull Wrote:  BTW, let's just cut the crap about the liberal bias on the network. They broadcast sports 24/7 and an extremely small percentage of their content strays into politics. The supposed liberal bias is being played up by a direct competitor in Fox...and just part of today's media and political climate.

It's the truth though and it's one of the reasons I don't watch it anymore unless there's a game I'm actually interested in on it. What they don't understand is when they swoop into the world of politics on a sports channel and take one side on everything, they're automatically alienating and pissing off half of their audience. It's a lose-lose and they're too stupid to recognize this.

I know that ESPN is important to the AAC but they're making their own grave. The AAC needs to be ready to explore ALL options when the time comes. It's a shame they got into their own way and had to make it this way.
10-28-2017 10:36 AM
Sellular1 Offline
1st String

(10-27-2017 08:36 PM)fanhood Wrote:  

Agreed. They screwed themselves. Stick to sports and keep idiots like Stephen A Smith off the air.
10-28-2017 12:24 PM
Sellular1 Offline
1st String

^^this^^

There are other options, the spending doesn't go away it just shifts. Netflix payed Chris Rock $80 million for 2 stand up specials and they paid Scorsece $100 million to make a gangster movie for them. Amazon paid the NFL $50million to stream a few games
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 12:49 PM by Sellular1.)
10-28-2017 12:46 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(10-28-2017 10:17 AM)Shockit Wrote:  

^^this^^

The liberal New York/California style politics come out in statements from people they employ as well as awards events, etc. they produce. The point is that politics and sports shouldn't be mixed together. The NFL is slow to this concept too. And I don't support Trump (although he was elected by a whole bunch of fed up people who would vote all of the current ruling class out). I'm just a midwesterner from a flyover state who is fed up with coastal politics and the elites taking over our culture.

This is me 100%. I voted Libiterian as a protest vote as I'm fed up with NY Libbie hypocrites and "California Cowboys" telling the rest of us that we dont count. ESPN has been dabbling in politics for awhile and we've noticed. I admit my hatred for ESPN is because of how they destroyed us "non-BCS" schools with their propaganda 20 years ago and basically fixed college athletics but I don't like them being political either. No, I don't like Fox News or fox sports either, though I'm more indifferent. I hope Facebook/Stadium etc goes big time and takes a chance on the AAC for triple the money. They are the future. millenials just ain't that into that there ESPN or cable tv. Sorry SEC and ACC fans who literally signed your futures away to ESPN for the next 20 years! Actually, no I'm not at all sorry.
10-28-2017 03:26 PM
Shockit Offline
2nd String

^^this^^

The liberal New York style politics come out in statements from people they employ as well as awards events, etc. they produce. The point is that politics and sports shouldn't be mixed together. The NFL is slow to this concept too. And I don't support Trump (although he was elected by a whole bunch of fed up people who would vote all of the current ruling class out). I'm just a midwesterner from a flyover state who is fed up with coastal politics and the elites taking over our culture.
10-28-2017 07:13 PM
Advertisement

fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
(10-28-2017 07:13 PM)Shockit Wrote:  

^^this^^

The liberal New York style politics come out in statements from people they employ as well as awards events, etc. they produce. The point is that politics and sports shouldn't be mixed together. The NFL is slow to this concept too. And I don't support Trump (although he was elected by a whole bunch of fed up people who would vote all of the current ruling class out). I'm just a midwesterner from a flyover state who is fed up with coastal politics and the elites taking over our culture.

Yup.

Certainly, cord cutting is the major factor. However, the politicization of ESPN is a close second. They have made bad business decisions. Plain and simple.
10-28-2017 08:02 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN

^^this^^

You couldn't be more wrong. It's because they have a smug sense of superiority.
10-28-2017 08:11 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Espn is msnbc with sports sprinkled in. At least we aren't making much so we can't lose much. Espn/fox paying Rutgers $40 million...lol. twice the entire AAC contract
10-28-2017 08:21 PM
derek78 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Houston
(10-28-2017 08:21 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Espn is msnbc with sports sprinkled in. At least we aren't making much so we can't lose much. Espn/fox paying Rutgers $40 million...lol. twice the entire AAC contract

Read a pretty good article on Breitbart stating how ESPN misread the Obama presidency as some liberal sea change, thinking their audience was ready for the network to take a activist stance - the SC6 show, undefeated on their website, etc.

But as the 2010 midterms and Tea Party movement proved this country is still center-right, and their coverage of social activism is biting them hard. Not sure if it's possible for them to change course because invariably the loudest voices are from the left, and they will reign fire on ESPN if they back off.

Definitely a bad scenario money wise for the AAC on this next contract, but here's hoping these other outlets y'all have brought up start bidding for the rights.
10-28-2017 09:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.