Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interceptions
Bookmark and Share
Dukie95 Offline
1st String

I Root For: all the Dukes
Interceptions
I'm just going to leave this right here...

Code:
INTERCEPTIONS           Team Cl  G  Int  Yds TD Long Int/G
----------------------------------------------------------
1. Rashad Robinson..... JMU  JR  8    5  145  1   82  0.62
    Nasir Adderley...... DELA JR  8    5  135  0   55  0.62
    Jordan Brown........ JMU  SR  8    5   69  0   40  0.62
4. Daniel Jones........ RICH SO  7    4    4  0    4  0.57
5. Jimmy Moreland...... JMU  JR  8    4   67  1   38  0.50
    Travon Reid-Segure.. SBU  SR  8    4   21  0   21  0.50
7. Darrius Hart........ MAIN JR  7    3   51  1   35  0.43
8. Tyler Campbell...... ELON JR  8    3   79  0   48  0.38
    Keeling Hunter...... VU   SO  8    3   36  1   27  0.38
    Monty Fenner........ TOWS JR  8    3   32  0   32  0.38
10-30-2017 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Interceptions
What's funny is that Jimmy has probably dropped another 4 picks.
10-30-2017 11:00 AM
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(10-30-2017 09:36 AM)Dukie95 Wrote:  I'm just going to leave this right here...

Code:
INTERCEPTIONS           Team Cl  G  Int  Yds TD Long Int/G
----------------------------------------------------------
1. Rashad Robinson..... JMU  JR  8    5  145  1   82  0.62
    Nasir Adderley...... DELA JR  8    5  135  0   55  0.62
    Jordan Brown........ JMU  SR  8    5   69  0   40  0.62
4. Daniel Jones........ RICH SO  7    4    4  0    4  0.57
5. Jimmy Moreland...... JMU  JR  8    4   67  1   38  0.50
    Travon Reid-Segure.. SBU  SR  8    4   21  0   21  0.50
7. Darrius Hart........ MAIN JR  7    3   51  1   35  0.43
8. Tyler Campbell...... ELON JR  8    3   79  0   48  0.38
    Keeling Hunter...... VU   SO  8    3   36  1   27  0.38
    Monty Fenner........ TOWS JR  8    3   32  0   32  0.38

A couple more important stats: passes defended and tackles.

Jimmy is #7 nationally for passes defended and both Jordan and Rashad average 1 per game (though they all have definitely caused far more incompletions than those stats show).

While normally seeing your DBs being among team leaders in tackles can be alarming because it often means it's happening after giving up lots of yardage. But in our case our DBs are often making plays at the line of scrimmage, including TFLs and sacks.
10-30-2017 11:01 AM
jmu007 Offline
All American

We basically run a slightly more aggressive version of the schemes MM ran in 2004. And I absolutely love it.
10-30-2017 11:33 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(10-30-2017 11:33 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  We basically run a slightly more aggressive version of the schemes MM ran in 2004. And I absolutely love it.

02-13-banana04-cheers

+1
10-30-2017 07:06 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

INT's are often the result of great pressure from the D-Line. Sacks are often the result of great coverage from the DB's (and LB's).

It all goes hand in hand and as one effective functioning unit.

We are deep and have a lot of talent returning on that side of the ball next year. This dominant defense is here to stay (IMO).
10-30-2017 07:23 PM
Advertisement

bobbyjmu Offline
Special Teams

When I saw thread title, thought negatively & assumed it was regarding the # that Schor has thrown. Anyone else concerned, or is our D so good that it overshadows them?

They haven't harmed us yet, but the ones in the red zone concern me. Hopefully, Schor will clean it up going forward.
10-30-2017 07:26 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Interceptions
(10-30-2017 07:26 PM)bobbyjmu Wrote:  When I saw thread title, thought negatively & assumed it was regarding the # that Schor has thrown. Anyone else concerned, or is our D so good that it overshadows them?

They haven't harmed us yet, but the ones in the red zone concern me. Hopefully, Schor will clean it up going forward.

It will bury us in the playoffs if he doesn’t stop it. It could be the difference in losing to ndsu.
10-30-2017 07:28 PM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

Interceptions
(10-30-2017 07:28 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(10-30-2017 07:26 PM)bobbyjmu Wrote:  When I saw thread title, thought negatively & assumed it was regarding the # that Schor has thrown. Anyone else concerned, or is our D so good that it overshadows them?

It will bury us in the playoffs if he doesn’t stop it. It could be the difference in losing to ndsu.

you said it, not me! someone will surely say you’re complaining. i think it’s so silly that we can’t be objective when winning. Potomac, you’re exactly right. it’s not an issue now, but that doesn’t mean it’s ok unless our only goal is making the playoffs. this is not complaining, it’s common sense and Football 101.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-30-2017 07:59 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

I worry the interceptions will cost us a playoff game. That’s not being negative, it is acknowledging that interceptions often lead to losses.
10-30-2017 11:13 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I think quarterbacks may get a bigger slice of the credit/blame for completions vs interceptions than they should sometimes.

Last year, Schor could throw up a 50-50 jump ball and be confident our receivers would win that battle and come down with it. Balls that were thrown in the vincinity were almost always caught, sometimes with a spectacular catch.

This year, I think our receivers are not quite at the same level yet. They sometimes miss or bobble catchable balls. Those bobbles can turn into interceptions. Losing a battle for a jump ball in the endzone can become an interception.

Haven’t broken it down, but I bet on review a good percentage of Schor’s INTs could have been receptions.

I don’t think Schor is making a ton more mistakes than last year, but the combination of losing some O-line guys and receivers from last year may be having an impact. Hope they can improve/clean it up over the next few weeks of the regular season.
10-31-2017 07:36 AM
Advertisement

jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
(10-31-2017 07:36 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  I think quarterbacks may get a bigger slice of the credit/blame for completions vs interceptions than they should sometimes.

Last year, Schor could throw up a 50-50 jump ball and be confident our receivers would win that battle and come down with it. Balls that were thrown in the vincinity were almost always caught, sometimes with a spectacular catch.

This year, I think our receivers are not quite at the same level yet. They sometimes miss or bobble catchable balls. Those bobbles can turn into interceptions. Losing a battle for a jump ball in the endzone can become an interception.

Haven’t broken it down, but I bet on review a good percentage of Schor’s INTs could have been receptions.

I don’t think Schor is making a ton more mistakes than last year, but the combination of losing some O-line guys and receivers from last year may be having an impact. Hope they can improve/clean it up over the next few weeks of the regular season.

This. I think the first few games, his weekly INT was on him. Just trying to throw overtop of a D-lineman closing in on him that got tipped. Since then, I think it's been mostly on the receivers. They either haven't made an adjustment on the ball, ran the wrong route (Kloo), or just plain didn't catch a catchable ball. After his INT this week I saw Schor and the coach about the play and they were explaining the route to him and you could feel Kloo's disappointment from the stands. It was 100% on Kloo...he missed an easy TD catch.
10-31-2017 08:33 AM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

(10-31-2017 07:36 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  Last year, Schor could throw up a 50-50 jump ball and be confident our receivers would win that battle and come down with it. Balls that were thrown in the vincinity were almost always caught, sometimes with a spectacular catch.

absolutely, 100% agree. it's not just on Schor.
10-31-2017 09:38 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I think we are underestimating how sure handed our trio of senior receivers were last year. They were experienced, ran good routes and didn't have the "drops". Don't have to force as much/ take chances when your primary guys are open.
10-31-2017 09:44 AM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
And we are struggling to run the ball consistently, so we have to force a few more throws.
10-31-2017 10:06 AM
JMU08 Online
1st String

(10-31-2017 10:06 AM)Dukesfan71 Wrote:  And we are struggling to run the ball consistently, so we have to force a few more throws.

This. We ran the ball extremely well, even early last season before the passing game took off.
10-31-2017 10:12 AM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-31-2017 10:06 AM)Dukesfan71 Wrote:  And we are struggling to run the ball consistently, so we have to force a few more throws.

Yep, this plus hurries and sacks can be indirectly attributed to the O-line not being quite what it was last year yet. We had big gaps blown open by our o-line last year that gave the runners an easy path. The team has a lot of parts that together make each other function better, and a weakness in one area can impact other areas as well. It’s certainly not all on one guy.
10-31-2017 11:19 AM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

To be fair, "the WRs aren't as awesome as last year" isn't quite a good excuse for Schor. It means last year he was also making throws he shouldn't have, but got away with them.

I'd love to see them run some more screens and short WR passes to spread the ball horizontally. That makes more room for runs.
10-31-2017 01:34 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-31-2017 01:34 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  To be fair, "the WRs aren't as awesome as last year" isn't quite a good excuse for Schor. It means last year he was also making throws he shouldn't have, but got away with them.

I'd love to see them run some more screens and short WR passes to spread the ball horizontally. That makes more room for runs.

I understand what your saying. Still, I can think of a couple off the top of my head that were related to a ball bouncing off a receiver (and subsequently picked off) and receivers running an incorrect route.

That said, the interceptions as a whole don't pass the eye test. There are bad, forced throws more often than last year. And as others have said, a less experienced and less dominant O-line factors into it.
10-31-2017 01:50 PM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

(10-31-2017 01:34 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  To be fair, "the WRs aren't as awesome as last year" isn't quite a good excuse for Schor. It means last year he was also making throws he shouldn't have, but got away with them.

it wasn't that he was forcing the ball last year, this was part of the offense. watch the really long throw to Domo Taylor @ NDSU last year as one of many examples. a lot of times, we chucked it deep when Schor scrambled and if it was picked off, it's like a punt. it's a gambling mentality but it worked because our WRs won almost every 50/50 ball. it was friggin' amazing. he still scrambles but has to do it quicker now. it's not that we're not good offensively now, it's that we were incredibly talented on offense last year.

really, I think we're missing Kloo at 100%. it's Schor's favorite target (in my opinion) and he's still working back to full health, i'm assuming. don't know how he feels for sure but I can imagine that's tough.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2017 03:53 PM by Jay M. Youix.)
10-31-2017 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.