Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

twitter censors Roger Stone
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
twitter censors Roger Stone
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/29/us/po...ended.html

Seen a whole lot worse on twitter than anything suggested here.
10-30-2017 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: twitter censors Roger Stone
I just saw this story, it's not just a 'censor' but a lifetime 'ban', bullet..

Free speech for me, none for thee! - Twitter Head Honchos.
10-30-2017 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Twitter is a private institution. It is the government that can't stop you from free speech.
10-30-2017 11:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Guy should be in jail.
10-30-2017 11:05 AM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-30-2017 11:03 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Twitter is a private institution. It is the government that can't stop you from free speech.

No argument there, David.. but when you allow lots of vile things to be said by one half of the political spectrum, and shut down anyone else... it's pretty obvious what the message is.

Now I thought those on the left wanted things like Internet discussions (such as twitter) regulated as a "utility" though? Wouldn't that kind of harm the "one-side only allowed" trend of places like FB/Twitter?
10-30-2017 11:10 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
I could easily see something like this going to the SCOTUS one day.....
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2017 11:28 AM by stinkfist.)
10-30-2017 11:28 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(10-30-2017 11:28 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  I could easily see something like this going to the SCOTUS one day.....

Twitter would win. Eventually, they will get overconfident and censor someone significant (like Trump) and the marketplace will take care of it.
10-30-2017 11:39 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

They suspended Rose McGowan's account. So, they do both ways.
10-30-2017 12:20 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-30-2017 11:39 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(10-30-2017 11:28 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  I could easily see something like this going to the SCOTUS one day.....

Twitter would win. Eventually, they will get overconfident and censor someone significant (like Trump) and the marketplace will take care of it.

As long as they aren't viewed as a monopoly. That's the risk Twitter, Facebook and Google face.
10-30-2017 01:37 PM
stinkfist Online

(10-30-2017 01:37 PM)bullet Wrote:  

As long as they aren't viewed as a monopoly. That's the risk Twitter, Facebook and Google face.

XACLY!

twittter twat winning is debatable....and it will be (debated) one day.....

there's no questioning we live in a new communicative enviro .....congress would most likely have to intervene first.....

I would argue limiting the first as a right in a public forum.....however, the counter would be all the others that are available also....toss in he also has multiple accts that are still active....

this one's a toughie.....and I'm not anywhere close to knowing the specifics of law.....this is new territory relative to the 1st.....

regardless, I believe it's going to be addressed in some fashion moving forward if the big boys continue on their current path.....

anti-trust may end up being the only recourse unless congress intervenes.....
10-30-2017 01:51 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(10-30-2017 01:37 PM)bullet Wrote:  

They aren't a Monopoly. Their sites are free to use and easy to duplicate if you are tech savvy. Their customers are advertisers and they have plenty of options to choose from. Barriers to entry are extremely low. Heck this very site here is a potential competitor. GTS could let us follow each other and limit our posts to 140 characters.

If Twitter were to ban someone like Trump, he'd just move to another platform and his supporting followers would leave Twitter in droves.
10-30-2017 02:13 PM
stinkfist Online

....would argue having the bulk of traffic allows them to manipulate to a level that denies the 1st for too many...

once again, I don't know the specifics....I'm just shooting from the hip of common sense....

censorship is going to be a problem if it gets out of hand down the road.....

hell, you can see it happening by the day......
10-30-2017 02:24 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
I've read that Stone has threatened to sue, and the twitter soy boys are already backing off the "permanent" part.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2017 03:33 PM by Kronke.)
10-30-2017 03:33 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

MySpace dead. Camo Space is dead.

Other social networks have come and gone.

There are a couple more that have come up, Armour and Kongregate both are social game networks. Games are like board games, RPG and all that. Tetris clones and other games.
10-30-2017 03:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.