MACtion only works when fans can watch it
10-27-2017 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: MACtion only works when fans can watch it
Glad to see Akron vs. Buffalo on a noon Saturday game on national TV. Had all of maybe 5,000 at the game. Good thing the MAC office does a good job of putting the Rockets on weekday games starting in October now. Anybody know how the payouts to the schools goes with the TV contract? For what we give up in home attendance vs. other schools, we better be getting more of the money.
10-28-2017 07:11 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
If Toledo had played Ball St at home, say about 3:30 pm today, there'd have been only those same 10 people at the game that were at Muncie.

I actually enjoyed the Thursday game, until Saturday got here and I didn't have anything to do.

Maybe I'll watch the replay?
10-28-2017 07:13 PM
JCannon21 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(10-28-2017 07:13 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  If Toledo had played Ball St at home, say about 3:30 pm today, there'd have been only those same 10 people at the game that were at Muncie.

I actually enjoyed the Thursday game, until Saturday got here and I didn't have anything to do.

Oh yeah only 10 people at the glass bowl. I hope your joking
10-28-2017 07:51 PM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

The nuts playing at same time would kill attendance
10-28-2017 10:29 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(10-28-2017 07:51 PM)JCannon21 Wrote:  
(10-28-2017 07:13 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  If Toledo had played Ball St at home, say about 3:30 pm today, there'd have been only those same 10 people at the game that were at Muncie.

Not sure if he meant their home? Or because the OSU PSU game?
10-29-2017 01:19 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-28-2017 07:51 PM)JCannon21 Wrote:  

No, I was being very litteral. Exactly ten. That included ushers.

Where's the roll-eyes emoji? Settle for a winky? 03-wink

WE I presume know our "fan base" well enough to know that a #2 Penn St against a #5 Columbus U would severaly erode the number of people at a UT home game. Or away game.

I don't like the mid-week games, particularly the late starting ones but they do avoid the end of the year P5 rivalry game somewhat. Ultimately, tv is in the way if it prevents it like the old days when maybe a UT game was a lead in for a big OSU/Mich/ND or a post game game. It's "second fiddle" but at least it's in the band. BUT ESPN needs someoen to watch their network during the week, so we're it.

As I posted, don't like it But the argument that it provides exposure is also true. I think UT-Ball St and NIU-EMU were the only thing going that night. I don't know the watch figures to counter that argument. I don't think watching 10 people in the stands would say much to a viewer about the quality of the university but that's questimate.
10-29-2017 07:41 AM
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-28-2017 07:11 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Glad to see Akron vs. Buffalo on a noon Saturday game on national TV. Had all of maybe 5,000 at the game. Good thing the MAC office does a good job of putting the Rockets on weekday games starting in October now. Anybody know how the payouts to the schools goes with the TV contract? For what we give up in home attendance vs. other schools, we better be getting more of the money.
It's in another post here, but each school gets about $840k per year to alienate our fan bases and play week night games on obscure ESPN channels. Not all schools can fill their stadiums on Saturdays or Wednesdays, but in the projections I laid out in my other post UT most likely takes a loss on this deal even with a half empty glass bowl. Contract is signed through 26/27 season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
10-29-2017 08:20 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Quote:..there’s just too few fans who come to MAC football games on a Saturday afternoon in November. It makes more sense to move those games to a midweek time slot where ESPN will air the games — and a ton of fans will watch on television.

Based on what I saw Thursday night, both in our game and the NIU/EMU game, even fewer fans attend on weeknights. It was truly sad to see those nearly empty stands. (Yes I know there were more people on the press box sides, no doubt.) I guess I can concede the logic in the weeknight move, but it certainly isn't easier for the players, students, or fans who love to support live events.

Quote:Why play these midweek games if no one can watch them on TV? Yes, I know about ESPN3 … but frankly, who will make the effort to find that broadcast? Only those same die-hards who would prefer to watch the games on Saturday.

Exactly. Although I think a lot of people can get ESPN3, I think it's still more a "computer" channel than a TV channel for many. That will probably change in time, though.

In any case, I still say the streaming should be PPV locally--same price as a GA ticket and the U should get most of the money. I don't know how many more people that would migrate from the sofa to the stadium, but it seems like it would generate a little revenue.
10-29-2017 10:08 AM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
I hate weeknight games as much as the next fan, but to play devils advocate, if there is good/decent weather and a good matchup, attendance will be ok.

2 years ago at the Glass Bowl on 11/3/15 vs. NIU, it was 57* and attendance was 23,000+ (for an 8pm game)

On 11/17/15 at bgSUCKS, it was 59* and attendance was 23,400+ (for a 6pm game).

Weather for this Thursday looks iffy. Hi 62, low 49, "A steady rain in the evening. Showers continuing late. Low 49F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%."
10-29-2017 10:16 AM
Advertisement

RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Originally, we moved a game from Saturday to Friday to be on ESPN or ESPN2. Then it was for a Thursday game on ESPN or ESPN2. Now we move EVRYONE'S game to the weekday to get a game on the computer. Are we getting exposure? I don't think so. I think we're getting paid to take away the little competition we give the P5 schools on Saturday. If they want us to move a game from Saturday to a weekday, it ought to be for a game on ESPN or ESPN2.
10-29-2017 10:38 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

If they can put that horse trash of a game BGSU vs Kent on ESPN2, why do we get shoved to ESPNU? It doesn't matter though. If it rains no one will be there anyway. The exposure card is getting overplayed. No one is seeking out a MAC game (other than us) on ESPN 3 or CBS Sports channel 8000.
10-29-2017 11:35 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(10-29-2017 11:35 AM)falconplucker Wrote:  If they can put that horse trash of a game BGSU vs Kent on ESPN2, why do we get shoved to ESPNU? It doesn't matter though. If it rains no one will be there anyway. The exposure card is getting overplayed. No one is seeking out a MAC game (other than us) on ESPN 3 or CBS Sports channel 8000.

Keeping Woodside off the TV. Btw, I regularly watch CBSSN.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2017 12:06 PM by Boca Rocket.)
10-29-2017 12:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.