Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Position Grades EMU
Bookmark and Share
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Position Grades EMU
QB-B

All I can really say is that I t’s really painful to have to watch the maturation of a talented young QB right in the middle of a conference championship run.

You do see some signs. I think he’s going to be a very good (not sure about great) player. One thing that you have to give him credit for is that he’s taking pretty good care of the football.

Needs to develop a better pocket presence and keep his eyes up on the scramble drill. A couple of times he had guys running wide open and didn’t see them.

He’s not the + runner I thought he’d be, but that last TD was pretty crafty.

Seems like they are layering in the whole playbook page by page.

OL-C-

EMU was stout up front and I thought they got the better of our line. This unit runs hot and cold. We need a big week out of them next week. Too many penalties.

RB-C

I really hope Huff can go next week. Mister, Jones, Harbison, Milton are all fine but you can feel what’s missing when Huff isn’t in there.

WR-B-

Some of the pressure is them finding their spots in a zone and making themselves open. Bad fumble. Blake or Spears need to win a big 50/50 ball downfield o give Childers some confidence. Great stuff from DJ Brown.

TE-A+

Wimann was awesome. Not sure why we don’t slip/pop him up the seam on play action more than we do. That misdirection drag in the red zone is so money for us

DL-A

Just dominant all night. If Sutton Smith played at a blue chip school he’d be a Hesiman dark horse. He’s that good.

LB-B+

Status quo for this group. Solid all around. Schwab playing with the club is a little concerning from a depth perspective.

DB-D

Smalls and Lurry did not have their best night. Almost cost us. Gonna need prime time Lurry to show up next week. Feels like we need a defensive TD as part of the formula.

ST-C+

Blocked punt and one shank from Ference. Otherwise the kicking game was pretty solid. A blocked punt and FG on our side was the difference.

Coaching-B-

I’m going to give Rod credit. He’s stivking with his dude when many of us certainly would have gone to Santa. That takes some fortitude.

If we are going to go three and out more often, can we at least go something other than QB power, quick toss, jet sweep?!
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2017 09:33 AM by scottiep12.)
10-27-2017 09:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Position Grades EMU
Same feeling about Childers. Not quite as good of the runner as I had hoped. Does run well through crowd. Can find a crease and get through it. Not really explosive or especially tough. Reminds me of Hare in '14, but maybe not quite as good.

I'd prefer a few less QB designed runs from him, and more tuck it and go when there's no open receivers.

Passing seems to be getting a little better.
10-27-2017 09:50 AM
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
North and south he’s solid. He’s crafty enough to make a man miss and not afraid to lower a shoulder.. The stretch stuff doesn’t work, not his skill set.
10-27-2017 10:12 AM
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
QB not a great runner and not a great passer, but not a bad QB. Has some feel for the game. Surprised not more aggressive when running. We are 6-2 with QB and speacial team issues, that's surprising.

We still know how to win, HISKIES close. Hallmark of this program.
10-27-2017 10:38 AM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

Childers is Carey's guy and NIU will succeed or fail with him as our QB so I am behind him and hoping for his success and continued development.

That said, he needs to show me much more in the passing game before I become a believer. Currently I would rate him somewhere between bad and awful at throwing the football and overall mediocre as a QB because he has shown running ability, grit and the ability to be somewhat effective in the short passing game. I do hope that he improves but I am not optimistic based on what I have seen to date.
10-27-2017 03:25 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

He can't complete a downfield pass to save his life. It's kind of sad when the EMU WR that completed a downfield pass for a TD has more long completions than a QB who attempted 40 passes.
10-27-2017 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bears85 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
(10-27-2017 09:29 AM)scottiep12 Wrote:  QB-B

All I can really say is that I t’s really painful to have to watch the maturation of a talented young QB right in the middle of a conference championship run.

You do see some signs. I think he’s going to be a very good (not sure about great) player. One thing that you have to give him credit for is that he’s taking pretty good care of the football.

Needs to develop a better pocket presence and keep his eyes up on the scramble drill. A couple of times he had guys running wide open and didn’t see them.

He’s not the + runner I thought he’d be, but that last TD was pretty crafty.

Seems like they are layering in the whole playbook page by page.

OL-C-

EMU was stout up front and I thought they got the better of our line. This unit runs hot and cold. We need a big week out of them next week. Too many penalties.

RB-C

I really hope Huff can go next week. Mister, Jones, Harbison, Milton are all fine but you can feel what’s missing when Huff isn’t in there.

WR-B-

Some of the pressure is them finding their spots in a zone and making themselves open. Bad fumble. Blake or Spears need to win a big 50/50 ball downfield o give Childers some confidence. Great stuff from DJ Brown.

TE-A+

Wimann was awesome. Not sure why we don’t slip/pop him up the seam on play action more than we do. That misdirection drag in the red zone is so money for us

DL-A

Just dominant all night. If Sutton Smith played at a blue chip school he’d be a Hesiman dark horse. He’s that good.

LB-B+

Status quo for this group. Solid all around. Schwab playing with the club is a little concerning from a depth perspective.

DB-D

Smalls and Lurry did not have their best night. Almost cost us. Gonna need prime time Lurry to show up next week. Feels like we need a defensive TD as part of the formula.

ST-C+

Blocked punt and one shank from Ference. Otherwise the kicking game was pretty solid. A blocked punt and FG on our side was the difference.

Coaching-B-

I’m going to give Rod credit. He’s stivking with his dude when many of us certainly would have gone to Santa. That takes some fortitude.

If we are going to go three and out more often, can we at least go something other than QB power, quick toss, jet sweep?!

Scottie,

Did I miss the positions grades for Bowling Green??
10-27-2017 09:21 PM
Advertisement

NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
The generic problem with dual threat QB's, especially young ones, is that they tend to be far behind in passing and reading defense skills. This is generally attributed to the fact that in high school, if they can't find the first option they use their athletic skills to gain yards thus their overall QB development is stunted. It takes a couple of years plus in college to learn those skills, if they ever do.
10-27-2017 10:42 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Ill say one thing for Childers, he is the only QB on NIU's roster that is able to make that move on that 10 yard TD run.
10-28-2017 12:43 AM
Advertisement

Djud Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
(10-28-2017 12:43 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Ill say one thing for Childers, he is the only QB on NIU's roster that is able to make that move on that 10 yard TD run.

Have you seen Hall run? If you did I doubt you would make this statement.
10-28-2017 06:51 AM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
(10-27-2017 03:25 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  Childers is Carey's guy and NIU will succeed or fail with him as our QB so I am behind him and hoping for his success and continued development.

That said, he needs to show me much more in the passing game before I become a believer. Currently I would rate him somewhere between bad and awful at throwing the football and overall mediocre as a QB because he has shown running ability, grit and the ability to be somewhat effective in the short passing game. I do hope that he improves but I am not optimistic based on what I have seen to date.

+1 I WANT to be optimistic but boy is it hard. Your rating of somewhere between bad & awful is right on. Santa had some INTs but that kid can also throw a nice long pass. Now that he's on Carey's sh*t list he will never see real playing time probably for the rest of his time at NIU. (I hope I am wrong on that)
11-01-2017 07:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.