Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How do UC fans remember Butch Jones?
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
How do UC fans remember Butch Jones?
I am sure this has been discussed in the past but with Butch Jones tenure at Tennessee likely coming to an end soon, how do Cincinnati fans remember him? Was this outcome in the SEC expected or surprising?

Was he just a good recruiter? I know he wasn't Brian Kelly and looking back at the schedule, it didn't look like he really had a "Marquee Win" (maybe Vandy in the Liberty Bowl?).

But I don't think it could be said he was winning with Kelly's players. I believe he had a tough 1st season, IIRC.
10-23-2017 11:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
RE: How do UC fans remember Butch Jones?
(10-23-2017 11:16 AM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  I am sure this has been discussed in the past but with Butch Jones tenure at Tennessee likely coming to an end soon, how do Cincinnati fans remember him? Was this outcome in the SEC expected or surprising?

Was he just a good recruiter? I know he wasn't Brian Kelly and looking back at the schedule, it didn't look like he really had a "Marquee Win" (maybe Vandy in the Liberty Bowl?).

But I don't think it could be said he was winning with Kelly's players. I believe he had a tough 1st season, IIRC.

I thought he was over valued and surprised he garnered that much interest. The dropoff from BK to Butch was very significant despite the competition level dropping. I thought ultimately Butch was a solid recruiter, a good motivator and an OK developer of talent. I had no confidence in his ability to manage a football game. If the game was close I was worried. Had he stayed at UC I have no doubt the program would be in much better shape than it is right now, but those flaws would not have gone away either.
10-23-2017 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
He was no Tubs.
10-23-2017 12:06 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-23-2017 12:05 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(10-23-2017 11:16 AM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  I am sure this has been discussed in the past but with Butch Jones tenure at Tennessee likely coming to an end soon, how do Cincinnati fans remember him? Was this outcome in the SEC expected or surprising?

I thought he was over valued and surprised he garnered that much interest. The dropoff from BK to Butch was very significant despite the competition level dropping. I thought ultimately Butch was a solid recruiter, a good motivator and an OK developer of talent. I had no confidence in his ability to manage a football game. If the game was close I was worried. Had he stayed at UC I have no doubt the program would be in much better shape than it is right now, but those flaws would not have gone away either.

What Mark said.

I can think of several games at UC were he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. In 2012 we lost three close games that could have been won if not for some terrible playing calling and game management. Our best team during his tenure was the 2011 team, and I can recall him laying an egg ironically in Knoxville against a bad Tennessee team. Zero in-game adjustments on defense which resulted in a huge victory for the Vols (after UC had scored on the 1st snap from scrimmage).

All this being said, if he never left UC he probably would have been good enough to finish with at least 8-9 wins each season (10 is his ceiling).
10-23-2017 12:18 PM
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-23-2017 12:18 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

What Mark said.

I can think of several games at UC were he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. In 2012 we lost three close games that could have been won if not for some terrible playing calling and game management. Our best team during his tenure was the 2011 team, and I can recall him laying an egg ironically in Knoxville against a bad Tennessee team. Zero in-game adjustments on defense which resulted in a huge victory for the Vols (after UC had scored on the 1st snap from scrimmage).

All this being said, if he never left UC he probably would have been good enough to finish with at least 8-9 wins each season (10 is his ceiling).

Mark and Clifton nailed it on the head. He was a good coach that had some serious game management flaws. But his players usually bought in and were skilled. Was really surprised he got as much interest as he did. If he had stayed, UC would be recruiting well, competing for conf championships, and winning 8-10 games with regularity, but never really making national headlines.

This could be revisionist history, but when he left I recall a lot of people feeling more annoyed that we had to find a new coach again than that we had lost Butch.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 12:25 PM by stxrunner.)
10-23-2017 12:24 PM
stpnum4 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-23-2017 12:24 PM)stxrunner Wrote:  

What Mark said.

Mark and Clifton nailed it on the head. He was a good coach that had some serious game management flaws. But his players usually bought in and were skilled. Was really surprised he got as much interest as he did. If he had stayed, UC would be recruiting well, competing for conf championships, and winning 8-10 games with regularity, but never really making national headlines.

This could be revisionist history, but when he left I recall a lot of people feeling more annoyed that we had to find a new coach again than that we had lost Butch.

This. His unique slogans and coach-speak could be infuriating as well. "Hold the Rope!" You have to be careful with that sort of thing because once the ship starts sinking, no one is going to want to "row the boat" with you.
10-23-2017 12:27 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
One of you will find out soon enough as I suspect he'll be back in this league shortly.

But yeah ... what everyone else said.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 12:30 PM by Bearcat2012.)
10-23-2017 12:29 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

What Mark said.

We really should have been in Orange Bowl that year. If Collaros doesn't break his leg
in the WVU game we would have won that game (and maybe the Rutgers game the following week, although we would have not needed that game to win the conference).
10-23-2017 12:48 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
^^ Agreed. I know this is blasphemy, but on-paper I think the 2011 team was more talented than our undefeated team in 2009. We had Pead, Travis and Jason Kelce, Derek Wolfe, John Hughes, Walter Stewart, JK Shaffer..... all guys who played on Sundays with the exception of Stewart who had a career ending neck injury.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 12:52 PM by CliftonAve.)
10-23-2017 12:51 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(10-23-2017 12:51 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  ^^ Agreed. I know this is blasphemy, but on-paper I think the 2011 team was more talented than our undefeated team in 2009. We had Pead, Travis and Jason Kelce, Derek Wolfe, John Hughes, Walter Stewart, JK Shaffer..... all guys who played on Sundays with the exception of Stewart who had a career ending neck injury.

Winn also.
10-23-2017 01:09 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(10-23-2017 12:24 PM)stxrunner Wrote:  

What Mark said.

So in other words, he's your programs Ruffin McNeil, only he got hired away before you could make the mistake of firing him?
10-23-2017 01:36 PM
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(10-23-2017 12:29 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  One of you will find out soon enough as I suspect he'll be back in this league shortly.

Really? What openings do you think we'll have? Everybody seems to think Frost is on his way out. I don't know about Strong. Applewhite ain't leaving anytime soon. ECU could use a new coach but they've probably got contract $$ issues with that. I think Norvell will hang around another year. Tulsa?
10-23-2017 01:38 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Does Butch drop back down to the American? ECU?
10-23-2017 01:55 PM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
It would be interesting to see where Jones ends up, assuming UT fires him. He clearly had success at the MAC and Big East levels.

He had two seasons of 9-4 at Tennessee which is solid for the SEC but probably on the low end of their expectations/hopes in Knoxville.
10-23-2017 02:09 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(10-23-2017 02:09 PM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  It would be interesting to see where Jones ends up, assuming UT fires him. He clearly had success at the MAC and Big East levels.

He had two seasons of 9-4 at Tennessee which is solid for the SEC but probably on the low end of their expectations/hopes in Knoxville.

It's important to note that in both his MAC job and his Big East job he inherited programs that had been built up by the prior coaches (Both times Brian Kelly, though at UC some credit to Dantonio as well).
10-23-2017 02:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
If I were ECU, I would jump on Butch Jones in a second. Jones busted his chops while he was here. His in game coaching is terrible, but he more than makes up for this with his coaching chops. Agree with the others about a ceiling of ten wins. Will not win the big close game.
10-23-2017 02:50 PM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(10-23-2017 12:29 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  One of you will find out soon enough as I suspect he'll be back in this league shortly.

you know, it seems to me that whether we like it or not, it's better for your coach to be so good he gets plucked. the team that gets butch is gonna have him for a long time. most likely east carolina
10-23-2017 03:00 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
The last time we won bowl games and believed we could beat teams >.500 was under Jones. Man, how I miss those days.
10-23-2017 03:12 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(10-23-2017 02:09 PM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  It would be interesting to see where Jones ends up, assuming UT fires him. He clearly had success at the MAC and Big East levels.

Butch is 3-12 against Florida, Georgia and Alabama. He's toast.
10-23-2017 04:56 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
I remember getting called a troll here when I said butch would get murdered in the SEC. Well. Told you so.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 05:47 PM by shere khan.)
10-23-2017 05:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.