Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Yesterday's Win Means to Me
Bookmark and Share
falconplucker Online
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Nothing

It was a great win and Toledo demolished Akron, but I will not rest until Ohio U, Northern Illinois, and Western Michigan have been defeated. Toledo has been like the Turkey in the movie Christmas Vacation, looks great, but when showtime arrives it is nothing but a dry hollow corpse with no juice . It's time to win the West!!!! Until then, I give this season the silent head nod of acknowledgement.
10-22-2017 08:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Agreed. Like the last 10 years, we blow through this part of our schedule, only to fall apart in November. EMU could have helped us, but pissed that game away. Like usual our schedule weights our toughest games at the end of the season. If you are a competitor, you relish that. We control our destiny. I just hope we have gas left in the tank after running the NIU, WMU, Ohio and BG gauntlet (rivalry game). That is a rough stretch for anyone. Ohio looks to be the class of the East and a preview for the MAC championship game. Too bad we have to showcase this run on weeknights vs beautiful fall Saturday's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
10-22-2017 09:38 AM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
RE: What Yesterday's Win Means to Me
(10-22-2017 09:38 AM)emanoh Wrote:  Agreed. Like the last 10 years, we blow through this part of our schedule, only to fall apart in November. EMU could have helped us, but pissed that game away. Like usual our schedule weights our toughest games at the end of the season. If you are a competitor, you relish that. We control our destiny. I just hope we have gas left in the tank after running the NIU, WMU, Ohio and BG gauntlet (rivalry game). That is a rough stretch for anyone. Ohio looks to be the class of the East and a preview for the MAC championship game. Too bad we have to showcase this run on weeknights vs beautiful fall Saturday's.

Saturdays have been great this season. I'm not looking forward to weekday games.
10-22-2017 09:54 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
At least we play NIU and WMU at home. I wish somehow those games could get switched/alternated so it's not either both at home or both away on alternating seasons.

10-22-2017 09:58 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Ohio will be a challenge I think. Their D will probably be on par with Eastern, but their offense is more prolific and can throw up points. It's a cross over game, sure, but it would still be good to win.
10-22-2017 10:03 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
So let's say we win out, then meet OU in Detroit. It's like they say, it's tough to beat a team twice in one season. Our road to a MAC championship is paved with land mines.

10-22-2017 10:38 AM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Actually, Ohio's defense has not been good this year. They gave up 50 to a winless UMass team that is only averaging around 20 points a game. Gave up 30 to two bad BG and Kansas teams (Kansas hasn't scored in the last 2 weeks) and 44 to Purdue which is by far the most points they scored all year. With their new-found offense, if they had their traditional stingy Solich defense, they would be running away with the conference I think. Still will be a tough opponent, but may be a shootout.

WMU's passing D is porous, and their offense is not as dominant as it has been the last couple years. They lost one of their stable of RBs against Akron, and I don't know if he'll be back before the season is over or not. Wassink hurt against EMU, but don't know if it is a long or short term thing.

NIU is the scary team right now. Their D is the best in the conference by far. Unsure if the point explosion against BG was due to just BG being BG, or NIU is putting the offensive pieces together.

But of course, gotta beat BSU first.
10-22-2017 10:47 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(10-22-2017 10:38 AM)emanoh Wrote:  So let's say we win out, then meet OU in Detroit. It's like they say, it's tough to beat a team twice in one season. Our road to a MAC championship is paved with land mines.

Actually, I've heard it's hard to beat a team three times but studies I've seen show it's not. The team that wins the first two usually wins Number three. Two games might be different but I suspect the findings for 3 hold up pretty well for two games.
10-22-2017 11:37 AM
FrickerRon Offline
Special Teams

(10-22-2017 10:03 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  Ohio will be a challenge I think. Their D will probably be on par with Eastern, but their offense is more prolific and can throw up points. It's a cross over game, sure, but it would still be good to win.

Have you guys been out to watch the Rocket defense this year? Their defense is great and getting better. Our offense is the best in the MAC. These other teams have to play their best to beat us, so, get off the b.s. on how good you thing these other teams are. If you don't like it go root for B.G.
10-22-2017 11:49 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-22-2017 11:49 AM)FrickerRon Wrote:  
(10-22-2017 10:03 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  Ohio will be a challenge I think. Their D will probably be on par with Eastern, but their offense is more prolific and can throw up points. It's a cross over game, sure, but it would still be good to win.

Have you guys been out to watch the Rocket defense this year? Their defense is great and getting better. Our offense is the best in the MAC. These other teams have to play their best to beat us, so, get off the b.s. on how good you thing these other teams are. If you don't like it go root for B.G.
I think we as fans have a reason to be skeptical from the last few Nov. meltdowns. We are playing well on both fronts, let's keep it rolling. You can't dispute that this back half of the season won't be easy.

10-22-2017 12:20 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I wish we would have had our #2 guy out there throwing more passes in game situation. He needs to get used to the speed of college game outside of practice. Looks like he has some great wheels and if he can throw well, we will be stacked again for next year.

Who was that Manville guy on defense (DE). He is #55 and he looks to have decent size and athleticism. First time I've seen him play much. Did not see Norwood-Green in the game at all, but wasn't paying that close of attention in looking for him.

We got burned on 2 pass plays - and should have been burned on at least 2 others. If we clean that up along with the penalties ( 2 ineligible receiver calls on the same guy?) - then we're looking at about 55-10 blowout.

This is the Akron team that beat NIU the prior week. If NIU could not score on that defense, we should fair pretty well. Should is the key word. I said after the first game that I did not see a championship team out on the field against Elon. My opinion has changed.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 12:42 PM by MotoRocket.)
10-22-2017 12:41 PM
Advertisement

T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
(10-22-2017 12:41 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Did not see Norwood-Green in the game at all, but wasn't paying that close of attention in looking for him.

Torn ACL, again
10-22-2017 01:05 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-22-2017 01:05 PM)T4C8 Wrote:  
(10-22-2017 12:41 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Did not see Norwood-Green in the game at all, but wasn't paying that close of attention in looking for him.

Torn ACL, again
Not that we are counting, I think that Norwood is now our 15th player lost for the season due to injury. Speaks to our depth.

10-22-2017 01:48 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Toledo has a vote in the AP for the first time since week 1.
10-22-2017 02:06 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
1 step closer to the MACC. Can't wait until December 2nd! Already looking forward to it!

Nice to see UT received 1 vote in the poll, from the Blah writer Davis Briggs. A few more blowout win and maybe they can get t25.
10-22-2017 02:18 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(10-22-2017 12:41 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  I wish we would have had our #2 guy out there throwing more passes in game situation. He needs to get used to the speed of college game outside of practice. Looks like he has some great wheels and if he can throw well, we will be stacked again for next year.

Who was that Manville guy on defense (DE). He is #55 and he looks to have decent size and athleticism. First time I've seen him play much. Did not see Norwood-Green in the game at all, but wasn't paying that close of attention in looking for him.

We got burned on 2 pass plays - and should have been burned on at least 2 others. If we clean that up along with the penalties ( 2 ineligible receiver calls on the same guy?) - then we're looking at about 55-10 blowout.

This is the Akron team that beat NIU the prior week. If NIU could not score on that defense, we should fair pretty well. Should is the key word. I said after the first game that I did not see a championship team out on the field against Elon. My opinion has changed.

No one has beaten NIU in MAC play. They beat. WMU on a soaked field after a one day delay.
10-22-2017 03:07 PM
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

LOL. I believe I can comment on what I thing about upcoming opponents if I so desire. That doesn't mean I don't thing the Rockets are any good. Have some coffee: 07-coffee3
10-22-2017 09:55 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-22-2017 03:07 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(10-22-2017 12:41 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  I wish we would have had our #2 guy out there throwing more passes in game situation. He needs to get used to the speed of college game outside of practice. Looks like he has some great wheels and if he can throw well, we will be stacked again for next year.

No one has beaten NIU in MAC play. They beat. WMU on a soaked field after a one day delay.

NIU or WMU - same/same for us... 03-wink
10-23-2017 08:40 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(10-23-2017 08:40 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  
(10-22-2017 03:07 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

NIU or WMU - same/same for us... 03-wink

True-kinda like Groundgog Day. Every year we have to beat them both to win the division but since they have yet to play each other it’s possible WMU will have two losses apart from us.
10-23-2017 09:08 AM
falconplucker Online
1st String

I will agree that there seems to be a notable difference in the defense. In recent years it has usually been the case of a veteran defense losing steam as the season goes on. This appears to be a young defense coming into its own and improving weekly. The exam will be next week against NIU.
10-23-2017 11:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.