Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some really dumb stuff can be read on
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

one of the dumbest things I've read was the suggestion that none of the incoming teams to CUSA are as good or better than Cincy or USF. The writer insists that the NCUSA is a step down. I would suggest that Louisville had a breakout year. But I would not expect an unchanging, static representation from all current CUSA teams based on this year's results. I would further argue that UTEP and Marshall are at least as good as Cincy, and all the other new comers are at least as capable as USF.
12-15-2004 11:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Home of the Wave Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

This is the way I see it, program for program, not just one years' results. "Program" also considers fan support and potential, not just on the field results. I also assume we're only talking about football:

Marshall equal to Louisville

UTEP equal to or better than Cincinnati

UCF equal to USF (what's the difference, really?)

SMU, Rice better than Army

So for me, football is slightly better in NCUSA.

From a Tulane fan's perspective, I will miss Cincinnati football though. We had those guys number. We even slaughered them when Teevens was coach.

Having said that, I think NCUSA is much worse in basketball. And not just because of losing Louisville and Cincinnati. I am more disappointed in losing the large market , basketball-only schools. Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Charlotte afforded CUSA great exposure.
12-15-2004 12:27 PM
1ndabag Offline
1st String

I Root For: Abp. Rummel

I agree with you both. Louisville is having a great year but this is an anomoly for them. I would say historically speaking Marshall has a better football program than Louisville, they're just down a bit this year (happens to every program, even Louisville).

UTEP for TCU? From here that looks like a stroke of genius.

Splitting into two divisions and holding a championship game helps matter as well. I think that's a big plus. Don't forget the TV contract which is reportedly at least as valuable as the last one.

As far as basketball, we can't say much because, and it pains me to say this given where we were not long ago, but we're the dead weight. Memphis, UAB, UTEP, Tulsa, UCF, Rice all have respectable programs. USM has demonstrated commitment by bringing Eustachy on board. We, Tulane, need to step it up for the good of the league.

Nobody brought up baseball and I think everyone agrees that we have improved baseball immensely with the addition of Rice and losing the bottom baseball schools. Baseball is growing in popularity and TV exposure and the money will follow. CUSA is poised to take advantage of it's growth.

I like the new conference. I like being affiliated with the privates in the West. I think we'll develop some great rivalries. I think a lot of the hand wringing is over Rice, SMU, and Tulsa football and the ridiculous assumption that the state of their programs now is going to be the state of their programs forever.
12-15-2004 10:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.