Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Now this would be a power conference!
Bookmark and Share
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Been doing a little research over at Jeff Sagarin's site and I compiled the following information.

If you take the 8 teams that are currently in the MWC(not including TCU) and you add the following teams:
Boise State
UTEP
Fresno State
Hawaii

you end up with an average sagarin rating of 74.80(12 teams).

Now, once again take the same 8 teams currently in that conference and factor in TCU but not the 4 WAC teams I previously listed and you end up with a conference rating of 72.15(9 teams). This will be the lineup they will feature in 2005.

Now take the 8 teams that will comprise the Big East football conference in 2005:Louisville, West Virginia, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Rutgers, and South Florida. They currently have an average sagarin rating of 72.29(8 teams).

Now these are the ratings for the BCS conferences:
Pac-10 79.87
Big-12 78.66
ACC 77.76(Sans Boston College, I got lazy but the average is roughly the same)
SEC 74.98
Big-10 72.79

Now include the 2005 Big East and the MWC-12(Sans TCU) and you get:
Pac-10 79.87
Big-12 78.66
ACC 77.76
SEC 74.98
MWC 74.80
Big-10 72.79
Big East 72.29

The MWC is ahead of the Big East and Big-10 and just below the SEC.

Here now is the same list but with the MWC in the 9 team configuration they will have in 2005 with TCU included:
Pac-10 79.87
Big-12 78.66
ACC 77.76
SEC 74.98
Big-10 72.79
Big East 72.29
MWC 72.15

Now the MWC is only the 7th highest rated conference. Incidentally, the current C-USA(2004) has a sagarin rating of 67.42. I did not take the time to compile a conference average for 2005 but given that most of the teams coming in have very low ratings I imagine that the 2005 version of C-USA would only be rated 8th or 9th.

We have seen that the 12 team MWC(minus TCU) is a top-5 conference, at least according to Sagarin but the 9 team version with TCU is only 7th best and trails all of the BCS conferences. I have a question for you in C-USA. Given this information would you have preferred the MWC had expanded by taking the top 4 WAC teams which would have made it a power conference with a solid argument for auto-BCS inclusion or are you happier with the current situation which means not having TCU but it also means that the MWC is not an 800-pound gorilla that might steal money from C-USA and other conferences? What do you think?
12-15-2004 02:47 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,

All this number crunching and no mention of CUSA's avg sagarin? :rolleyes:
12-15-2004 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Why do I care about the MWC on CUSA board.
12-15-2004 02:53 PM
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

the first problem with your chart is saragin. One year they had harvard ahead of UAB. Try again.
12-15-2004 02:58 PM
EdisonDoyle Offline
1st String

I Root For: AAC

There is one good football team in the MWC this year; otherwise, they are a computer poll mirage. The MWC is a collection of mediocrities that rely on junk recruiting, jcs and all sorts of other contrivances to field football teams

New Mexico and Wyoming power teams? Uh, right

Leonardo, a DaVinci you are not
12-15-2004 03:29 PM
Advertisement

prettyricky Offline
The Peoples Champ

I Root For: Da Coog's

Wouldn't you end up with the original WAC (pre 1995) with Fresno added .... :rolleyes:
12-15-2004 03:38 PM
Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Isn't the lower the number the better? I'd rather my team be ranked #72 instead of #74. 03-confused

What friggin' sport are we talking about? And what was I coming into this room for anyway?
12-15-2004 03:57 PM
Advertisement

prettyricky Offline
The Peoples Champ

I Root For: Da Coog's

TopCoog Wrote:the first problem with your chart is saragin. One year they had harvard ahead of UAB. Try again.
That's because that year Harvards strategy was BRILLIANT!!!!!
[Image: guinness-thumb.jpg]
12-15-2004 04:16 PM
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

prettyricky Wrote:
TopCoog Wrote:the first problem with your chart is saragin. One year they had harvard ahead of UAB. Try again.
That's because that year Harvards strategy was BRILLIANT!!!!!
[Image: guinness-thumb.jpg]
I almost spit banana chips all over the place. BRILLIANT!!!
12-15-2004 04:20 PM
Advertisement

Tony The Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For:

I cannot take Jeff Sagarin's rankings seriously when he has 1-AA teams in the top 40 of 1-A. I think won-lost records of the teams is a better tool to use. The 6 new teams coming to CUSA have a combined record of 24-43, the 3 new teams going to the BE have a combined record of 20-13, and the only team going to the MWC, TCU, has a record of 5-6 so it looks like the BE has added more strength but then again they also had the biggest losses of any conference. The quartet of Hawaii, UTEP, Boise, and Fresno has a record of 34-11 so that would have strengthened the MWC for sure if they had been added instead of TCU but I don't think it would have been enough to make them a top 5 conference. It might have been enough to pass the new Big East though.
12-15-2004 04:45 PM
EastStang Offline
All American

I Root For:

Airport Al and his MWC cronies (BYU, CSU, AFA, Wyo, Utah) wanted two things: to play each other every year and to control things so that no one could dictate anything to them. They have that now with a nine team MWC. They can't control things if they go above 9. They can't ensure that they'll play each other every year if they lose that control. So, the MWC will never go above 9 schools. They went to UNM, UNLV and SDS and said you have 45 minutes to decide if you're in or out and if you're not in, we'll talk to Hawaii, UTEP and Fresno in that order. I wish TCU well there.
12-15-2004 05:44 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

That's the WAC before the 1996 expansion (the worst mistake ever made)....It's the original WAC10 plus Boise State and UNLV. This would have been a great conference and a strong candidate for BCS membership. Rice, Tulsa, San Jose State, SMU and TCU simply had no business in the WAC.
12-15-2004 08:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.