Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Will NBA do away with one and done
Bookmark and Share
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Will NBA do away with one and done
Heard Adam Silver on Mike & Mike this morning. Regarding the NBA draft, he said he was open to changing the one & done rule. He said it wasn't working for colleges because the players just focus on making the NBA and not on classwork or even collegiate winning. He said it wasn't working for the NBA because they are not satisfied with the development the players are getting in their brief time in college.

He was open to making the G-league bigger with better player salaries. They've introduced 2-way contracts as an effort to improve that. He says that anything regarding one & done would have to be agreed by the players union - but that they didn't have to wait until the current contract expires (which just went into effect).
10-16-2017 05:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Will NBA do away with one and done
(10-16-2017 05:28 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Heard Adam Silver on Mike & Mike this morning. Regarding the NBA draft, he said he was open to changing the one & done rule. He said it wasn't working for colleges because the players just focus on making the NBA and not on classwork or even collegiate winning. He said it wasn't working for the NBA because they are not satisfied with the development the players are getting in their brief time in college.

He was open to making the G-league bigger with better player salaries. They've introduced 2-way contracts as an effort to improve that. He says that anything regarding one & done would have to be agreed by the players union - but that they didn't have to wait until the current contract expires (which just went into effect).

The key sentence in Silver's statement was it wasn't working for the NBA. That means there is some hope for a change, but it doesn't mean it will help college basketball be more stable either. I'd like to see something like baseball. Go to a pro minor league if you don't want to play college ball but if you sign a scholarship, you aren't eligible for a pro contact until after 3 years in college.
10-16-2017 05:42 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
Dan Wetzel posted a long article this afternoon about this: https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-rig...21752.html

"Silver, for his part, cited three things that have dramatically shifted. The scandals are one. “It’s clearly not working for the college game,” Silver said. Second is the increase in one-and-done players declaring for the draft. There were 16 last year. Silver said the average had been about eight per year. And finally, it appears more top recruits don’t care about where they go to college and are just biding their time until draft night.' "

I think it's more important than just changing the one-and-done to the 'zero-or-two' model. IMO, the NBA is tired of the corrupt, clown show that college hoops has become, and of course the feckless NCAA. And they will move to take away the NCAA as the prime farm team of talent. If the top 20-30 high players each year skip college, and go directly to the NBA or G-League, how badly would college basketball be hurt? In the past, the NBA has tried to partner with college hoops, but I think the NBA is beyond tired of this model.

26 G-League teams now have NBA parent teams, like the Hustle with the Grizz. The NBA rightly feels that they can do a better job now developing their young talent than the NCAA. Their teams and G-League affiliates can work with players 24/7, put them on diet and strengthening programs, and play 50+ game G-League schedules. So why exactly does the NBA still need the NCAA to feed them talent? The NBA sees the crowds and ratings the Summer League gets. Why not capture more of the market with the G-League?

The NCAA football model works well with he NFL. Maybe the NBA is deciding the opposite for college hoops.
10-16-2017 06:01 PM
Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
This is funny. The NBA could care crap about college's or players. The one and done rule was done to save the NBA from itself.
10-16-2017 08:44 PM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

If the owners decided to drop the rule, players' association support would be a given. They've never favored it except as something to "give up" to get something they wanted in a contract.
10-16-2017 09:12 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

You must protect these kids from themselves. Every year you have around 100s high school kids who just know they are the next LeBron and will go straight to the pros and have a long career. The overwhelming majority of those kids will never see a minute of NBA time.

But too many do not plan for this and over look their studies and miss out on opportunities to prepare themselves for the real world. Leading too many to gang involvement, drug use and crime. They end up right back where they came from with only their memories of their glory days in high school.

Got to make so these kids will at least have a chance to prepare themselves for life after basketball so they can build a good life for themselves in the future.

Go with the baseball method. Allow them to go to minor leagues out of high school but if they go to college they are not eligible for draft until after Jr year.

We cannot keep dumping unskilled kids unprepared for life back onto the streets and expect them to make it in society.
10-17-2017 12:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

(10-17-2017 12:14 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  You must protect these kids from themselves. Every year you have around 100s high school kids who just know they are the next LeBron and will go straight to the pros and have a long career. The overwhelming majority of those kids will never see a minute of NBA time.

But too many do not plan for this and over look their studies and miss out on opportunities to prepare themselves for the real world. Leading too many to gang involvement, drug use and crime. They end up right back where they came from with only their memories of their glory days in high school.

Got to make so these kids will at least have a chance to prepare themselves for life after basketball so they can build a good life for themselves in the future.

Go with the baseball method. Allow them to go to minor leagues out of high school but if they go to college they are not eligible for draft until after Jr year.

We cannot keep dumping unskilled kids unprepared for life back onto the streets and expect them to make it in society.

Ugh, very few of these players are getting any sort of useful education anyway unless one considers "general studies" or "sports management" degrees worthy of a college diploma.
10-17-2017 07:27 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2017 12:14 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  You must protect these kids from themselves. Every year you have around 100s high school kids who just know they are the next LeBron and will go straight to the pros and have a long career. The overwhelming majority of those kids will never see a minute of NBA time.

I'd go for this.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017 07:56 AM by holyterror.)
10-17-2017 07:55 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

Can we protect the race car drivers from themselves? They could be killed!

As far as the baseball rule, that’s ridiculous as well. You can play for a junior college and not adhere to the rule. If you are born outside of the US/Canada, you can sign before you are 18!

Baseball and basketball are apples and oranges.

When high schoolers could go straight to the league, NCAA basketball was competitive and it put the focus back on the student athlete versus pros who basically were waiting to drop out the moment the college season was over.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017 08:07 AM by Latilleon.)
10-17-2017 08:04 AM
Flugel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: the tigers
(10-17-2017 07:55 AM)holyterror Wrote:  

I'd go for this.

I had a conversation with Michael Heisely-the former Grizz owner- and he said the same thing- either let them come out straight from high school or stay 3 years in college. This would be the way I'd do it as well. I truly believe this would help both sides but especially the player. But, the colleges have to better address the day to day needs of the athletes as well.

Also, there's no good solution when the enforcement is so terrible and it takes the FBI to get involved to really force a change. What NC got away with on the classes was so transparent, it is laughable.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017 08:42 AM by Flugel.)
10-17-2017 08:41 AM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(10-17-2017 08:04 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  

As far as the baseball rule, that’s ridiculous as well. You can play for a junior college and not adhere to the rule. If you are born outside of the US/Canada, you can sign before you are 18!

When high schoolers could go straight to the league, NCAA basketball was competitive and it put the focus back on the student athlete versus pros who basically were waiting to drop out the moment the college season was over.

I see no reason a method similar to baseball would not work. You give the kids the options.

A.) Enter the draft out of high school
B.) Pick some other venue to go play in - G League, JUCO, oversees
C.) Go to college but you are not eligible to be drafted for 2 or 3 years.

The vast majority of players on not going to choose JUCO, G league or oversees because if they are not good enough to be a first round pick out of high school then they likely are not going to be after just one year, so two or three in college works for them.
10-17-2017 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
College's don't care about the players, the NBA doesn't care about the players, only the players and some parents care about the players. Its an old story, the strong survive. As much as you might want it, there is no perfect world. These guys are getting cash to play in college; otherwise, those good enough would be going overseas to play.
10-17-2017 09:31 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
You are right, Tygrys, and that's what the NBA will do, IMO. The 'zero-or-two' model. And it will happen quickly, don't have to wait for new CBA. NBA moves fast on these kind of things.

Bigger point I think being missed is unlike 2005 when one-and-done went away, NBA now has a true minor league. Only 4 NBA teams do not have their own G-League affiliate. So NBA is now more prepared to take more of the best high school players each year and park them in their minor league for a year or two, like baseball and hockey.

Looking ahead, this will hurt the very top tier recruiting schools - Kentucky, NC, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona - more than the next tier, IMO. Difference between the 31st player and the 125th player is not that great. Top tier will still get the best leftovers.
10-17-2017 09:42 AM
JhanJo Offline
1st String

The 2-way contract he mentions isn't a bad deal for the players or the parent club. The NHL has this arrangement. I don't know specifics but the team is allowed to move the player between the parent club and the minor league affiliate pretty much as they want. Games played while on the NHL team, the players receive typically 3x the amount they are paid for games played with the minor league club.
10-17-2017 09:47 AM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-17-2017 09:42 AM)Tigx Wrote:  You are right, Tygrys, and that's what the NBA will do, IMO. The 'zero-or-two' model. And it will happen quickly, don't have to wait for new CBA. NBA moves fast on these kind of things.

Bigger point I think being missed is unlike 2005 when one-and-done went away, NBA now has a true minor league. Only 4 NBA teams do not have their own G-League affiliate. So NBA is now more prepared to take more of the best high school players each year and park them in their minor league for a year or two, like baseball and hockey.

Looking ahead, this will hurt the very top tier recruiting schools - Kentucky, NC, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona - more than the next tier, IMO. Difference between the 31st player and the 125th player is not that great. Top tier will still get the best leftovers.

It will absolutely make the top 10 cheaters one (or 2, sometimes 3) players closer to the rest of the teams out there. Which will make college basketball more competitive and more interesting.
10-18-2017 07:12 AM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

Leave it to you to make such an asinine analogy. There are approx 540,000 high school basketball player and only 450 players will make it on an NBA roster and any time. That mean 1 in every 1,200 players on a high school team will make it to the NBA. That is 0.08% of high school players. Yet these kids are given a chance to use the game to learn skills and knowledge which will allow them to provide for themselves and their families for the next 50+ years. But the dream of making rich in the NBA overwhelms them and they do not take advantage of the situation. They do not prepare themselves for college and when they get their they either fail to earn a degree which will provide them long term employment. Interdisciplinary studies is not a field many major companies are looking for when hiring.

You keep on complaining about conditions in the inner city and how unfair things are. Yet you come out against things which will improve condition. Ideas which will actually help these people in the long run. You would rather see them under educated and lacking proper skill levels in order for you to have something to beotch about and rant and rave.
10-18-2017 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger57 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers
(10-16-2017 08:44 PM)Smith Wrote:  This is funny. The NBA could care crap about college's or players. The one and done rule was done to save the NBA from itself.

Exactly
10-18-2017 10:40 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2017 10:40 AM)Tiger57 Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 08:44 PM)Smith Wrote:  This is funny. The NBA could care crap about college's or players. The one and done rule was done to save the NBA from itself.

Exactly

And that is why the NBA rule relative to high school players & college players will only be changed IF it further benefits the NBA. It's effect on colleges is not a consideration for the NBA.
10-18-2017 12:24 PM
Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(10-17-2017 09:21 AM)Tygrys Wrote:  

I see no reason a method similar to baseball would not work. You give the kids the options.

The vast majority of players on not going to choose JUCO, G league or oversees because if they are not good enough to be a first round pick out of high school then they likely are not going to be after just one year, so two or three in college works for them.

I would take option A a step further. If a player is not drafted, then the player could then choose option B or C. That would cut out the Boom or Bust scenario that declaring for the draft once held for high-schoolers. Under such a system, a player could be draft eligible, not get drafted, and then commit to a college for a 2/3 year period.

I would also like to see the draft expanded so that NBA teams could draft to fill their G-League teams with more two-way contract guys. This would create a better minor league system and keep more of the fringe talent in the NBA system instead of overseas.
10-18-2017 01:00 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2017 01:00 PM)Trapper John Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 09:21 AM)Tygrys Wrote:  

I would take option A a step further. If a player is not drafted, then the player could then choose option B or C. That would cut out the Boom or Bust scenario that declaring for the draft once held for high-schoolers. Under such a system, a player could be draft eligible, not get drafted, and then commit to a college for a 2/3 year period.

I would also like to see the draft expanded so that NBA teams could draft to fill their G-League teams with more two-way contract guys. This would create a better minor league system and keep more of the fringe talent in the NBA system instead of overseas.

If it were only that simple. There's the declaring for the draft issue, the agent/attorney issue (needed to be promoted & sign) & player evaluations - all of which can render a player ineligible under NCAA rules. But I do agree.............
10-18-2017 03:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.