Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Questions on the LA Chargers
TardisCaptain Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Starfleet Acdmy
Questions on the LA Chargers
So after reading the headlines about the "LA" Chargers and the lack of a fan base in the area, I have to wonder. How long does the NFL keep the team in a losing situation? They can't sell out a stadium that seats 27,000. Most of the attendees are fans of other teams. Besides good attendance you need merch sales, TV eyeballs and more. Does the Chargers have this in LA?

If Spanos keeps the team, does he continue to lose money or move to another area? Did he move just to keep the Raiders from moving into LA? Would San Diego take the team back with Spanos? Would he move the team to another market? If the team sells, who buys it?

Thanks for the insight.
10-16-2017 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: Questions on the LA Chargers
The owners won't do anything. NFL ownership is a club of rich guys in which they all agree that the league isn't going to push individual owners around.

Maybe the other owners regret giving the Chargers the option to become a tenant in the Rams' new stadium, but they won't reverse that decision. Also, consider that maybe the owners gave that option to the Chargers to keep the Raiders out. There are owners who still don't like the Raiders because Al rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Kroenke himself might have thought that, given that the NFL forced him to make his LA stadium available to a second team, he'd prefer to have the Chargers as his LA competition, rather than the Raiders.
10-16-2017 12:28 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
There is a lot of grumbling here about the Chargers, and there are rumors that other owners are concerned, if not pissed. I think there's a non-trivial chance the NFL would allow the team to move again, or even that the moratorium on a team sale be lifted, but the latter is hard to imagine because I doubt Spanos would sell now. I think he's actually devalued the team in the short term.
10-16-2017 01:39 PM

_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
Should have moved to Vegas. The Raiders would then move to LA. Water under the bridge now.
10-16-2017 02:41 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(10-16-2017 01:39 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  There is a lot of grumbling here about the Chargers, and there are rumors that other owners are concerned, if not pissed. I think there's a non-trivial chance the NFL would allow the team to move again, or even that the moratorium on a team sale be lifted, but the latter is hard to imagine because I doubt Spanos would sell now. I think he's actually devalued the team in the short term.

Allow the team to move, perhaps, if Spanos went to the other owners and asked for permission, or if he went to them with a proposed sale to a buyer who wanted to move the team.

A sale doesn't seem likely even if the NFL permitted it. There are just not that many people or groups that both have about $1.5 billion in liquid assets (plus however much they'd have to spend toward a new stadium in another city) and also have the desire to buy an NFL franchise.
10-16-2017 04:25 PM

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(10-16-2017 12:28 PM)Wedge Wrote:  The owners won't do anything. NFL ownership is a club of rich guys in which they all agree that the league isn't going to push individual owners around.

Maybe the other owners regret giving the Chargers the option to become a tenant in the Rams' new stadium, but they won't reverse that decision. Also, consider that maybe the owners gave that option to the Chargers to keep the Raiders out. There are owners who still don't like the Raiders because Al rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Kroenke himself might have thought that, given that the NFL forced him to make his LA stadium available to a second team, he'd prefer to have the Chargers as his LA competition, rather than the Raiders.

I think the bolded is the closet to the truth. Getting back into LA while keeping the Raiders out of the market was key in the NFL decision making IMO.
10-16-2017 05:05 PM
bluesox Offline
All American

I Root For:
I don’t like the chargers and rams having the same color schemes. Rams really need to go back to their 1980 uniforms since that has some historic tradition in LA. Chargers could go to red and black to rebrand a little.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 10:02 AM by bluesox.)
10-23-2017 10:00 AM

lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
The gold will be removed from the Rams uniforms in 2019 or 2020. My opinion is they will wear white with blue trim and numbers for home games at that time. If they play a team on the road which wears white such as Dallas, I think they will wear medium blue jerseys with white numbers and trim.

I think there is no need to change the Chargers colors. My opinion is that they will continue to wear the dark blue at home with the occasional use of the powder blue alternates.
10-24-2017 12:03 AM
_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
They should have gone back to their traditional jerseys of yellow and blue.
10-24-2017 12:09 AM
bluesox Offline
All American

I Root For:
The LA rams should be blue and yellow and the SD chargers should be powder blue. Yet, since the chargers moved, think they need to do something drastic to rebrand in LA. I like a black helmet with red charger bolt.
10-24-2017 10:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.