Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Where do you see the future of JMU football?
This poll is closed.
FCS great, no FBS (JMU employee/live in H'burg area) 1.63% 2 1.63%
FCS great, no FBS (Live in VA/DC/MD) 8.94% 11 8.94%
FCS great, no FBS (Live elsewhere) 4.88% 6 4.88%
FCS fine, FBS 10+ years (JMU employee/live in H'burg area) 1.63% 2 1.63%
FCS fine, FBS 10+ years (Live in VA/DC/MD) 9.76% 12 9.76%
FCS fine, FBS 10+ years (Live elsewhere) 4.07% 5 4.07%
FBS 6-10 years (JMU employee/live in H'burg area) 1.63% 2 1.63%
FBS 6-10 years (Live in VA/DC/MD) 18.70% 23 18.70%
FBS 6-10 years (Live elsewhere) 4.88% 6 4.88%
FBS w/in 5 years (JMU employee/live in H'burg area) 5.69% 7 5.69%
FBS w/in 5 years (Live in VA/DC/MD) 23.58% 29 23.58%
FBS w/in 5 years (Live elsewhere) 14.63% 18 14.63%
Total 123 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Where do you stand on future of JMU football?
Bookmark and Share
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Hopefully protecting identities will solicit honest responses.
10-15-2017 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Where do you stand on future of JMU football?
I'm fine with FCS. Once the P5 breakaway and the G5 make their own title we had better move up.
10-15-2017 12:35 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Make no mistake about it, winning quiets everyone. We are all backing our team right now and this has little to do with where we need to be. I think people have a difficult time looking to the future of their children and their children's children. People want a winner and to always win, but when looking at almost all schools through the history of their program they are all closer to winning half their games than winning 90%. Therefore, while winning gives a short term boost, what makes you grow is challenging yourself. I want JMU to be challenged at every opportunity. Life is not all roses.
10-15-2017 12:38 PM
Bill Offline
1st String

I don't want to move up until the G5 comes up with a playoff system. I love the FCS playoff format and would much rather watch JMU fight through 4 weeks against the likes of SD State, Jax St, ND St, YS, etc, then watch them play in the Potato Salad Bowl against Kent St.
10-15-2017 02:16 PM
olderduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
Above ground.

Sent from my VS988 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-15-2017 02:17 PM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

I think we'll move up right around the 5 years from now mark when the G5 goes through a shift in conference members in order to survive. It'll be one of the last things Bourne does before retiring.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2017 02:30 PM by bridgeforthduke.)
10-15-2017 02:29 PM
Advertisement

Smokey 1 Offline
2nd String

(10-15-2017 02:16 PM)Bill Wrote:  I don't want to move up until the G5 comes up with a playoff system. I love the FCS playoff format and would much rather watch JMU fight through 4 weeks against the likes of SD State, Jax St, ND St, YS, etc, then watch them play in the Potato Salad Bowl against Kent St.

Exactly
10-15-2017 02:30 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

(10-15-2017 02:30 PM)Smokey 1 Wrote:  
(10-15-2017 02:16 PM)Bill Wrote:  I don't want to move up until the G5 comes up with a playoff system. I love the FCS playoff format and would much rather watch JMU fight through 4 weeks against the likes of SD State, Jax St, ND St, YS, etc, then watch them play in the Potato Salad Bowl against Kent St.

Exactly

Completely agree.
10-15-2017 02:38 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I echo that until the G5 forms it’s own second tier championship playoff system, G5 football honestly isn’t that attractive anymore. Others are right, winning helps.
Look at liberty and coastal right now. Hell look at any recent move up not named app State. Would you trade the state of our program as it stands today for ANY of that? I sure as hell wouldn’t.
JMU and North Dakota State are healthier than a vast majority of the G5 right now. You’d have to find the most top end programs in that group before you could make a real argument that their athletic programs are better off.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2017 02:42 PM by Potomac.)
10-15-2017 02:39 PM
JMad03 Online
Heisman

I'm not sure any of these responses are where I stand. It's very conditional. I'm all for FBS, but it has to be the right circumstances. If you told me we'd be FBS tomorrow but we'd be in the Sun Belt, I'd say no thank you. If you told me the only option to be FBS ever would be Sun Belt I'd say no, even if it took 20+ years to get an invite.
If it were AAC, for example, I'd take it tomorrow or 10 years from now.
If we were awaiting for alignment and it took 10+ years but guaranteed, I'd take it as long as it was going to be a great conference. If it were a garbage conference, I'd say no.
10-15-2017 02:50 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
(10-15-2017 12:38 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  Make no mistake about it, winning quiets everyone. We are all backing our team right now and this has little to do with where we need to be. I think people have a difficult time looking to the future of their children and their children's children. People want a winner and to always win, but when looking at almost all schools through the history of their program they are all closer to winning half their games than winning 90%. Therefore, while winning gives a short term boost, what makes you grow is challenging yourself. I want JMU to be challenged at every opportunity. Life is not all roses.

Don't underestimate winning. Fans, donors, recruits, alumni want to be around winners and part of that culture. You can pierce holes in the level of the competition but what JMU under Houston has accomplished thus far is impressive no matter what your perspective is. TV/Media understands that and so does the average fan without an agenda (i.e. a School we've beaten or compete with). All of the above stakeholders outside of the top 50-75 programs in the land would trade places with JMU in a second to experience that winning culture. Ideally you win against the best but these other schools aren't- they aren't even competing against the best. That gets old and demoralizing real fast.
10-15-2017 04:24 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2017 04:24 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(10-15-2017 12:38 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  Make no mistake about it, winning quiets everyone. We are all backing our team right now and this has little to do with where we need to be. I think people have a difficult time looking to the future of their children and their children's children. People want a winner and to always win, but when looking at almost all schools through the history of their program they are all closer to winning half their games than winning 90%. Therefore, while winning gives a short term boost, what makes you grow is challenging yourself. I want JMU to be challenged at every opportunity. Life is not all roses.

Don't underestimate winning. Fans, donors, recruits, alumni want to be around winners and part of that culture. You can pierce holes in the level of the competition but what JMU under Houston has accomplished thus far is impressive no matter what your perspective is. TV/Media understands that and so does the average fan without an agenda (i.e. a School we've beaten or compete with). All of the above stakeholders outside of the top 50-75 programs in the land would trade places with JMU in a second to experience that winning culture. Ideally you win against the best but these other schools aren't- they aren't even competing against the best. That gets old and demoralizing real fast.

And neither are we. I seriously doubt that at the end of the season anyone on our schedule that we have beaten (hopefully all) will be ranked in the top 10 FCS and then there's ECU. Most likely we won't hit a top 10 team until the third round of the playoffs (our second game). Don't get me wrong, I am good with playing Nova, RU, W&M, UD, UNH, and Maine, they make for game and I enjoy that competition.
10-15-2017 04:46 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2017 04:46 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

And neither are we. I seriously doubt that at the end of the season anyone on our schedule that we have beaten (hopefully all) will be ranked in the top 10 FCS and then there's ECU. Most likely we won't hit a top 10 team until the third round of the playoffs (our second game). Don't get me wrong, I am good with playing Nova, RU, W&M, UD, UNH, and Maine, they make for game and I enjoy that competition.

That's a completely unreasonable point of view. What conference offers multiple top-ten opponents during regular season competition?

Besides beating an FBS team, leading up to the playoffs JMU will have played (and hopefully defeated) four (possibly five) ranked teams. Richmond, Villanova, New Hampshire, Elon, and possibly Delaware if they continue to win...and then another ranked team in the first round of the playoffs. That's a damn tough schedule. Real "competition" doesn't begin with teams ranked in the top-ten. Get real.
10-15-2017 05:07 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2017 05:07 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  

That's a completely unreasonable point of view. What conference offers multiple top-ten opponents during regular season competition?

Besides beating an FBS team, leading up to the playoffs JMU will have played (and hopefully defeated) four (possibly five) ranked teams. Richmond, Villanova, New Hampshire, Elon, and possibly Delaware if they continue to win...and then another ranked team in the first round of the playoffs. That's a damn tough schedule. Real "competition" doesn't begin with teams ranked in the top-ten. Get real.

It's not unreasonable if we were to beef up our OOC and it's exactly what 97 was eluding to.
10-15-2017 05:53 PM
bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
This feels like a good research opportunity for someone like BDK. FCS champs’ highest regular season ranked opponent.
10-15-2017 06:33 PM
Dukester Offline

This poll shows most of us are from the DC area.

04-cheers
10-15-2017 07:16 PM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2017 05:53 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

It's not unreasonable if we were to beef up our OOC and it's exactly what 97 was eluding to.

It's completely unreasonable, and again, what does "beefing up our OOC" really mean when you play a FBS game and a tough conference schedule?

Indeed, JMU plays an FBS program every year, and this year it just so happened to be game number one which is pretty darn challenging. NDSU didn't play a FBS opponent this year FWIW. Does that mean NDSU needs to step it up with their schedule? smh
10-15-2017 07:40 PM
Dukester Offline

(10-15-2017 07:40 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(10-15-2017 04:24 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Don't underestimate winning. Fans, donors, recruits, alumni want to be around winners and part of that culture. You can pierce holes in the level of the competition but what JMU under Houston has accomplished thus far is impressive no matter what your perspective is. TV/Media understands that and so does the average fan without an agenda (i.e. a School we've beaten or compete with). All of the above stakeholders outside of the top 50-75 programs in the land would trade places with JMU in a second to experience that winning culture. Ideally you win against the best but these other schools aren't- they aren't even competing against the best. That gets old and demoralizing real fast.

It's completely unreasonable, and again, what does "beefing up our OOC" really mean when you play a FBS game and a tough conference schedule?

Indeed, JMU plays an FBS program every year, and this year it just so happened to be game number one which is pretty darn challenging. NDSU didn't play a FBS opponent this year FWIW. Does that mean NDSU needs to step it up with their schedule? smh

Tough conference schedule? The CAA is not that great. It's one of the 3 next conferences below the Missouri Valley. Sagarin actually has us as the 3rd best 1AA conference.

We likely won't have a game in conference we're not sceduled to win by multiple TDs.

Top Teams in the Missouri Valley
43 North Dakota State AA = 76.13
71 South Dakota AA = 68.15
73 Youngstown State AA = 67.52
82 Western Illinois AA = 64.71
84 South Dakota State AA = 64.41
95 Northern Iowa AA= 62.49

Top Teams in the CAA
66 James Madison AA = 70.11
118 Villanova AA = 57.28
128 Richmond AA = 55.15
136 Delaware AA = 53.11
142 Stony Brook AA = 52.33
155 Albany-NY AA = 49.67

The CAA is not near the Missouri Valley.
10-15-2017 07:53 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-15-2017 07:53 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(10-15-2017 07:40 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(10-15-2017 04:46 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  And neither are we. I seriously doubt that at the end of the season anyone on our schedule that we have beaten (hopefully all) will be ranked in the top 10 FCS and then there's ECU. Most likely we won't hit a top 10 team until the third round of the playoffs (our second game). Don't get me wrong, I am good with playing Nova, RU, W&M, UD, UNH, and Maine, they make for game and I enjoy that competition.

Tough conference schedule? The CAA is not that great. It's one of the 3 next conferences below the Missouri Valley. Sagarin actually has us as the 3rd best 1AA conference.

We likely won't have a game in conference we're not sceduled to win by multiple TDs.

Top Teams in the Missouri Valley
43 North Dakota State AA = 76.13
71 South Dakota AA = 68.15
73 Youngstown State AA = 67.52
82 Western Illinois AA = 64.71
84 South Dakota State AA = 64.41
95 Northern Iowa AA= 62.49

Top Teams in the CAA
66 James Madison AA = 70.11
118 Villanova AA = 57.28
128 Richmond AA = 55.15
136 Delaware AA = 53.11
142 Stony Brook AA = 52.33
155 Albany-NY AA = 49.67

The CAA is not near the Missouri Valley.

Puuulleease. Being favored over conference opponents is more an indication of JMU's strength than a reflection on fellow conference teams.

As far as claiming that the CAA is "not near" the MVC I suppose we'll find out come playoff time. Last year I recall JMU having tougher (and closer) games against CAA foes than the two MVC opponents JMU defeated in the playoffs.
10-15-2017 08:03 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(10-15-2017 07:16 PM)Dukester Wrote:  This poll shows most of us are from the DC area.

04-cheers

CUSA would tell you that's not a market.
10-15-2017 08:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.