Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Finds No Violations, No Penalties in UNC Academic Scandal
Bookmark and Share
BigDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
NCAA Finds No Violations, No Penalties in UNC Academic Scandal
What a crock. NCAA afraid to take on the Blue Bloods. The FBI has to do their dirty work.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...s-for-unc/

10-13-2017 10:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

apoe Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: NCAA Finds No Violations, No Penalties in UNC Academic Scandal
Quote:Stewart Mandel‏Verified account @slmandel 40m40 minutes ago
More
Alabama vacated wins for failing to monitor the distribution of textbooks.

Stewart Mandel‏Verified account @slmandel 42m42 minutes ago
More
Colorado got two years probation because walk-ons were undercharged for meals.

Stewart Mandel‏Verified account @slmandel 44m44 minutes ago
More
Boise State got punished for letting freshmen sleep on players' couches before they were enrolled. ... UNC 2 decades academic fraud: Nada.

Kyle Tucker‏ @KyleTucker_SEC 31m31 minutes ago
More Kyle Tucker Retweeted Kyle Tucker
Memphis had a Final Four vacated over one dude's invalid SAT score. Probably some regular students had bogus SATs too. NCAA logic: free pass

David Burge‏ @iowahawkblog 2m2 minutes ago
More
NCAA rule #1: if you are a big enough deal, you are untouchable. I'm pretty sure Longhorn players are now free to murder their professors.

NCAA is a freaking joke.....

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 11:08 AM by apoe.)
10-13-2017 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
P5 Cartel. Who says there is no protected caste system in America

10-13-2017 11:14 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(10-13-2017 10:30 AM)BigDawg Wrote:  What a crock. NCAA afraid to take on the Blue Bloods. The FBI has to do their dirty work.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...s-for-unc/

Am I surprised? NO!

Am I disappointed? YES!

I think all of us feel that way. The NCAA only takes on Non Bluebloods. Follow the money.

10-13-2017 11:16 AM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Wonder how much they paid to get that swept under the rug

10-13-2017 11:20 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
What a joke!

Why do I enjoy college sports again?

The NCAA can get rid of this page on their website - http://www.ncaa.org/about/what-we-do/academics

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 11:35 AM by bearcatfan.)
10-13-2017 11:22 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I feel the FBI needs to start peeking into the NCAA's closet.

10-13-2017 11:24 AM
JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
Maybe I'm the only one, but I didn't think this fell under the NCAA's scope anyway. I thought it had more to do with their overall classes and accreditation than it did sports. A technicality, sure, but still...

Of course, nothing will happen to their accreditation, so they'll likely serve no real penalty. But I'm not sure the NCAA could have done much anyway.

10-13-2017 12:17 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
So I guess this means Lousyville is really gonna get it. Someone has to pay in the court of public opinion.

10-13-2017 12:40 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

The articles from Raleigh about the NC State freshman being ruled ineligible for actually going to class on the same day the UNC was let off the hook for 30 years of students not going to class are the kind of journalistic sarcasm that we need more of in today's press 03-lmfao

10-13-2017 12:46 PM
digibrink Offline
2nd String

(10-13-2017 12:17 PM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  Maybe I'm the only one, but I didn't think this fell under the NCAA's scope anyway. I thought it had more to do with their overall classes and accreditation than it did sports. A technicality, sure, but still...

Of course, nothing will happen to their accreditation, so they'll likely serve no real penalty. But I'm not sure the NCAA could have done much anyway.

From what I read, UNC egregiously took advantage of a bylaw loophole, and then the NCAA botched the investigation, so their hands were tied when it came to penalties. However, UNC and the NCAA are probably worse off - as no one will let this go, and the NCAA looks like the joke that it is. The worst penalties UNC would have faced are worthless vacated wins that don't actually hurt anyone.

However, this might be the nail in the coffin for the whole Athlete's are students charade. The NCAA has been completely powerless to run college sports for at least the last two decades and they've run out of places to hide.

The last shoe to drop will be the decline of cable companies and their huge tv contracts, which will finally end the whole college sports fiasco (ie the money dries up) and they'll form an independent amateur league or something.

10-13-2017 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
We had classes like these at UC, too. Zoo life. I took advantage of some easy elective credit hours as well Kenyon, Pete, Ryan and a few other basketball players. There were a couple tests and the questions were kinda like: The desert is hot. True or False. The Rain forest is wet. True or False. Of course the professor offered extra credit and the only people that needed it were Kenyon, Pete and Fletch. Fun class though got to walk through the zoo at night. Attendance optional, of course.

I think there were other classes like this at UC. Apparently most of the courses in th Criminal Justice major...

10-13-2017 08:40 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(10-13-2017 08:40 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  We had classes like these at UC, too. Zoo life. I took advantage of some easy elective credit hours as well Kenyon, Pete, Ryan and a few other basketball players. There were a couple tests and the questions were kinda like: The desert is hot. True or False. The Rain forest is wet. True or False. Of course the professor offered extra credit and the only people that needed it were Kenyon, Pete and Fletch. Fun class though got to walk through the zoo at night. Attendance optional, of course.

I think there were other classes like this at UC. Apparently most of the courses in th Criminal Justice major...

Don't assume that because student athletes gravitate to a major it is because it is a cakewalk.

UC's Criminal Justice program was a leader nationally and one of the first UC programs to fully embrace digital delivery of class and course work, seeing digital delivery as an opportunity to meet the needs of police officers working shifts. CJ started pod casting in the early to mid 90s, was an early entrant into e-classes with the growth of the internet and offers fully online degrees in CJ.

One of the reasons that you see CJ selected as a major by a number of student athlete is because that same flexibility that appeals and works for police officers works well for student athletes who travel to away game. Student athletes need course work and faculty that will work with their schedules. Not every major nor faculty member will.

I am not certain where the BS in CJ is ranked but the masters and graduate programs in CJ are ranked.

10-13-2017 09:10 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(10-13-2017 08:40 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  We had classes like these at UC, too. Zoo life. I took advantage of some easy elective credit hours as well Kenyon, Pete, Ryan and a few other basketball players. There were a couple tests and the questions were kinda like: The desert is hot. True or False. The Rain forest is wet. True or False. Of course the professor offered extra credit and the only people that needed it were Kenyon, Pete and Fletch. Fun class though got to walk through the zoo at night. Attendance optional, of course.

I used to date a girl in the CJ program. How does one of the top ranked CJ programs in the US also manage to be an easy degree?

The world may never know.

10-14-2017 02:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
(10-14-2017 02:42 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  

I used to date a girl in the CJ program. How does one of the top ranked CJ programs in the US also manage to be an easy degree?

The world may never know.

Agreed. I'm not sayin' you can't get a decent education in the CJ program. I'm just speaking from my personal experience- I knew people who were in it, and I knew what kind of students they were. That plus like 75% of the major varsity sports athletes listed it as a major in the 90's...

10-14-2017 09:05 AM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I believe the graduate program in Criminal Justice is highly ranked. The undergraduate program seems to be something of a joke. I had a friend cruise through it.

10-14-2017 09:44 AM
Advertisement

Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
A- for a horrible one paragraph paper. Third grade level:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014...paper.html

[Image: Screen-Shot-2017-10-13-at-7.15.39-PM-600x311.png]

10-14-2017 01:19 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-14-2017 09:44 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I believe the graduate program in Criminal Justice is highly ranked. The undergraduate program seems to be something of a joke. I had a friend cruise through it.

I had a friend cruise through it as well. He's been employed by the Secret Service since graduating. Guess it's not that bad.

10-14-2017 05:16 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

What UNC did was more than just provide easy classes. Every school has them. This went far beyond what you described above.

10-14-2017 05:23 PM
payday Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats!
Really. Who’s surprised?

10-14-2017 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.