Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - USA doesn't make World Cup
Bookmark and Share
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
OT - USA doesn't make World Cup
Pretty stunning turn of events tonight. No World Cup for the USA team for the first time since 1986.

Sorry to get political but anyone think Mexico deliberately lost to make a statement?
10-10-2017 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: OT - USA doesn't make World Cup
don't care....

and my pops and another started the hysa back in '76 after we moved here from StL.....

I'm done with all the bs that people think matters vs. politics.....

I'm gonna finish my life my way.....
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017 09:28 PM by stinkfist.)
10-10-2017 09:28 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(10-10-2017 09:10 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Pretty stunning turn of events tonight. No World Cup for the USA team for the first time since 1986.

Sorry to get political but anyone think Mexico deliberately lost to make a statement?

Unlikely. I can't imagine they'd be happy to lose to Honduras, plus they looked pretty uninspired until the final 20 minutes or so against T&T themselves. Though I'm sure they didn't put out the good china just because they already had their ticket punched.
10-10-2017 09:30 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(10-10-2017 09:10 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Pretty stunning turn of events tonight. No World Cup for the USA team for the first time since 1986.

Doesn't matter... as a collegiate soccer player... the US should have won their qualifiers... let's not make this into something else
10-10-2017 09:32 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
Why blame Mexico? Do you think Costa Rica deliberately lost? Or do you think the USMNT deliberately lost? A lot of scenarios had to occur for the USMNT to miss the World Cup. The stars aligned against them.
10-10-2017 10:08 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
03-zzz
10-10-2017 10:09 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(10-10-2017 09:28 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  don't care....

and my pops and another started the hysa back in '76 after we moved here from StL.....

I'm done with all the bs that people think matters vs. politics.....

I'm gonna finish my life my way.....

I was in shock for about 15 minutes. Then I was angry for another 10 minutes.

Then I realized I have a lot of good things in my life, and a lot of accomplishments that I can get done for the next year. At that point it stopped hurting, and I just sorta moved on...

Perspective is everything.
10-10-2017 10:31 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
The USA wasn't gonna do anything in the World Cup anyway. Crying over spilled milk here.
10-10-2017 10:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I'm not blaming Mexico (or Costa Rica). The bottom line is the USA team only had to tie a Trinidad & Tobago team that was 1-8 in the previous 9 matches of the tournament to advance. I guess we'll qualify in 2026 most likely since we'll be a host nation (and maybe the tournament itself will have 16 more qualifying spots). It's pretty stunning how bad we are in men's soccer. Iceland qualifies out of Europe and their total population is less than 500,000.
10-10-2017 11:03 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Maybe they just didn't want to go to Russia.
10-10-2017 11:13 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(10-10-2017 11:03 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'm not blaming Mexico (or Costa Rica). The bottom line is the USA team only had to tie a Trinidad & Tobago team that was 1-8 in the previous 9 matches of the tournament to advance. I guess we'll qualify in 2026 most likely since we'll be a host nation (and maybe the tournament itself will have 16 more qualifying spots). It's pretty stunning how bad we are in men's soccer. Iceland qualifies out of Europe and their total population is less than 500,000.

Prior to the game starting there was only a 3% chance of the USMNT not qualifying according to ESPN’s soccer power index.
10-10-2017 11:42 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

No. I think people forget that Mexico would have lost MILLIONS had they failed to make the World Cup in 2014, and the only reason they got there was because we had enough interest to actually try and get a meaningless draw against Panama in stoppage time.

Mexico had already qualified. The game in Honduras meant nothing. Ditto for Costa Rica. We put ourselves in a situation where we had to rely on two teams with nothing to play for to win games, and we have no one but ourselves to blame.

I'll get over it like next year. I might forget it if the chiefs win the Super Bowl. But I am beyond angry at US Soccer right now.
10-11-2017 01:18 AM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
It's a generational shift from the Donovan/Dempsey/Bradley days to the next group. Happened to Germany, Netherlands, England, Brazil, et. al. Argentina almost missed out on this WC and Chile will be sitting at home. Netherlands is on the verge. We just have been spared for so long from being in CONCACAF.
10-11-2017 01:21 AM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says the game wasn’t fair. We had to play Trinidad AND Tobago.
10-11-2017 05:07 AM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
I forgot the exact number (I think it was hundreds of millions), however I read that Fox Sports will be a big loser here since they shelled out a lot to show the World Cup that now won't include the USA.
10-11-2017 07:24 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(10-10-2017 11:42 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  
(10-10-2017 11:03 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'm not blaming Mexico (or Costa Rica). The bottom line is the USA team only had to tie a Trinidad & Tobago team that was 1-8 in the previous 9 matches of the tournament to advance. I guess we'll qualify in 2026 most likely since we'll be a host nation (and maybe the tournament itself will have 16 more qualifying spots). It's pretty stunning how bad we are in men's soccer. Iceland qualifies out of Europe and their total population is less than 500,000.

Prior to the game starting there was only a 3% chance of the USMNT not qualifying according to ESPN’s soccer power index.

That index is wrong more than it's correct from what I've seen. US flat out sucked last night. Hopefully the entire federation is rebuilt top to bottom.
10-11-2017 07:56 AM
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

Everyone acting like the sky is falling, I mean its not like the USA ever does anything in World Cup anyways, usually 3 games and sitting at home...Not sure the big deal, its soccer which is about 7th in USA as far as popularity and we have sucked at it for a long time now....One thing if we were good and advancing far every WC tournament, just not the case here..
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2017 08:11 AM by WKUFan518.)
10-11-2017 08:09 AM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
(10-11-2017 08:09 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Everyone acting like the sky is falling, I mean its not like the USA ever does anything in World Cup anyways, usually 3 games and sitting at home...Not sure the big deal, its soccer which is about 7th in USA as far as popularity and we have sucked at it for a long time now....One thing if we were good and advancing far every WC tournament, just not the case here..

not exactly....including the 90 world cup, the usa has failed to get out of the group 3 of 7 times...they made the round of 16 3 times as well, with 1 quarterfinal appearance
10-11-2017 08:40 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2017 08:40 AM)NTTHOR Wrote:  
(10-11-2017 08:09 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Everyone acting like the sky is falling, I mean its not like the USA ever does anything in World Cup anyways, usually 3 games and sitting at home...Not sure the big deal, its soccer which is about 7th in USA as far as popularity and we have sucked at it for a long time now....One thing if we were good and advancing far every WC tournament, just not the case here..

not exactly....including the 90 world cup, the usa has failed to get out of the group 3 of 7 times...they made the round of 16 3 times as well, with 1 quarterfinal appearance

Still not a great track record anyway you slice it, guarantee this team would have been blown out all 3 games next summer...Maybe the men should see how the women are so good...
10-11-2017 08:43 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2017 08:40 AM)NTTHOR Wrote:  

That is about like WKU basketball program history in NCAA tournament, anytime we brag on our history we are told it doesn't matter and its not relevant now, so it doesn't matter for USA soccer either, lol.....
10-11-2017 08:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.