All should be easily correctable.
10-09-2017 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Consistent Issues w/ offense
Agreed. Julian Allen needs to see some targets.
10-09-2017 01:12 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

4. Staggers also isn't targeted enough.
5. I know Jones had a lot of drops last season, but he's a 6'4" receiver and should get more targets as well. Unless he has a lot of drops practice.

It seems like Griggs wants to get the ball to his boy Robertson a lot. Can't complain about Roberson's play though.
10-09-2017 01:35 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
Yeah, I'm a little surprised about the lack of Staggers.
10-09-2017 01:44 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(10-09-2017 11:49 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  The following are issues I've noticed:
1 - Ito should get the ball more
2 - TE should be more involved in passing game
3 - Center snaps need more velocity

every single bit if this......the only thing I would add is Ito should be targeted more via the air.....

15-18 is okay with me via the ground.....

he's marshall faulk reincarnated.....
10-09-2017 03:02 PM
Advertisement

imajeep Offline
Water Engineer

(10-09-2017 03:02 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

every single bit if this......the only thing I would add is Ito should be targeted more via the air.....

ito is one of those backs that needs touches. he's typically not going to get you a consistent 3-5 yards. he's going to go 1, 1, -3 and then break a 70 yard run.
10-09-2017 03:11 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(10-09-2017 03:11 PM)imajeep Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 03:02 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

ito is one of those backs that needs touches. he's typically not going to get you a consistent 3-5 yards. he's going to go 1, 1, -3 and then break a 70 yard run.

agree 1000%.....min touches/pass attempts should never be below 20 unless we're getting our arse handed to us by the opposing defense.....
10-09-2017 09:34 PM
Eagle9 Offline
Special Teams

You people act like we get 120 snaps a game. Y'all want Ito to get 25 touches. Julian Allen of all people to get about 5. Staggers about 5. Isaiah Jones, who has yet to make any plays in 2 years here, to be targeted more.

Getting Ito the ball is easy. He's a running back so it's easy to find ways to get it to him. But the other guys it just depends on the structure of the defense. You can't force feed receivers ms tight ends unless they are really special, and we don't have one that is. That leads to INTs.
10-09-2017 10:07 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

(10-09-2017 10:07 PM)Eagle9 Wrote:  You people act like we get 120 snaps a game. Y'all want Ito to get 25 touches. Julian Allen of all people to get about 5. Staggers about 5. Isaiah Jones, who has yet to make any plays in 2 years here, to be targeted more.

Getting Ito the ball is easy. He's a running back so it's easy to find ways to get it to him. But the other guys it just depends on the structure of the defense. You can't force feed receivers ms tight ends unless they are really special, and we don't have one that is. That leads to INTs.

You get more snaps when you move the ball. You move the ball better the more you involve your best players. Staggers didn't have an issue getting open last season, so I would think he is running routes just as good now. I get your comment about Jones.

What you described is just as much a issue with the coaching, they are supposed to break the defense down and have a plan to get these players open. I think our roster has just as much, if not more, talent than the teams we've played.
10-10-2017 07:26 AM
Advertisement

eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
(10-09-2017 01:44 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  Yeah, I was a little staggered about the lack of Staggers.

fixed

Also--I was surprised at Ito's speed during his 89 yd run.....the UTSA DB's were left in his dust...Pro Scouts had to take note.
10-10-2017 05:46 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(10-10-2017 07:26 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 10:07 PM)Eagle9 Wrote:  You people act like we get 120 snaps a game. Y'all want Ito to get 25 touches. Julian Allen of all people to get about 5. Staggers about 5. Isaiah Jones, who has yet to make any plays in 2 years here, to be targeted more.

You get more snaps when you move the ball. You move the ball better the more you involve your best players. Staggers didn't have an issue getting open last season, so I would think he is running routes just as good now. I get your comment about Jones.

What you described is just as much a issue with the coaching, they are supposed to break the defense down and have a plan to get these players open. I think our roster has just as much, if not more, talent than the teams we've played.

We're obviously having trouble on 3rd down with both QB's....whether it's holding the ball too long, missing wide open receivers or just a case of the jitters....Mullens usually didn't get the "nervous puddin'" on third and fourth down, even though his elusiveness was non-existent.

I thought either Griggs or Howard would give us an extra dimension on 3rd down with their legs, but they are usually either running for their lives (instead of first downs) or
extra-reluctant to tuck the ball under and taking a sack.
10-10-2017 05:53 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(10-10-2017 05:46 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  Also--I was surprised at Ito's speed during his 89 yd run.....the UTSA DB's were left in his dust...Pro Scouts had to take note.

Yeah, seeing one of our guys not caught from behind was refreshing.
10-12-2017 10:47 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Ito could have a future as a third down back in the NFL. Certainly nothing to scoff at. Jalen Richard is doing it. Backs who can do stuff out of the backfield are becoming more and more valuable in today's game.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 09:39 AM by shiftyeagle.)
10-13-2017 09:39 AM
Advertisement

TheGroveEagle Offline
Water Engineer

(10-12-2017 10:47 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(10-10-2017 05:46 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  Also--I was surprised at Ito's speed during his 89 yd run.....the UTSA DB's were left in his dust...Pro Scouts had to take note.

Did you guys notice that our receivers actually caught up with UTSA's defenders toward the end of the TD run? We really do have some serious speed on this team.
10-13-2017 08:11 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(10-13-2017 08:11 PM)TheGroveEagle Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 10:47 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  

Did you guys notice that our receivers actually caught up with UTSA's defenders toward the end of the TD run? We really do have some serious speed on this team.

yep. i posted (i think in the game thread), that the only people that could catch Ito, were our two WRs. was/is pretty cool to watch.
10-13-2017 08:37 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

Then how'd we lose to NTSU?05-nono

Wasn't long ago a decent team like the Mean Greenies would wet their pants as they entered MM Roberts and EXPECT to lose----NEVERMORE said the Raven!03-lmfao
10-13-2017 09:01 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

Nobody's afraid of a half-filled stadium playing music at library level.
10-14-2017 04:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.