ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

An Old Hokie's Take on Young ODU Football
GotLabradors Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
An Old Hokie's Take on Young ODU Football
After dropping 3 games in a row, my biggest concern for this team now is their mental state. Can they mentally come back from this? Who are the leaders in the locker room? The offense can't sustain a drive long enough to keep the defense off the field. I watched several receivers consistently stop running their routes midway. The defensive line had terrible get off. The second team D-line seemed better to me than the first team. The secondary was giving FAU a minimum of 5-10 yards every play. Special team play was lackluster. I've seen the ODU punter do much better than he did last night. Maybe it's time for BW and staff to shake up the team a little and shuffle that depth chart a little.

I saw several players' families leave before the end of the game. (I've got 3 kids involved in sports. I don't care how bad their team is losing, I'm not leaving until the game is over.) That will definitely not help the mental state of the team. I'm not sure how much fan support there actually is for ODU football. The fan base seems to think that every game, no matter who the opponent is, should be a complete and utter blowout. The team is trying to get the fans involved by asking them to make noise, but the signals are completely ignored. (When the players on the sideline waving their arms/towels up and down, they want fans on their feet making noise.)
After watching the meltdown at Foreman last night, I read the meltdown on this board. My only thought is that the I hope the players don't know this board even exists.

The fact of the matter is that ODU/ODAF is not willing to put the money into having an FBS program. (Is there a plan for the $40 million initiative?) The stadium is just a damn embarrassment. I know ODU is saying 2019 to open the new place, but something tells me that won't be happening. (Great facilities get great recruits. It shows that the school is serious about their football program. What do ODU's facilities say about the importance of their program?) And add to that a fanbase that won't get out of their seats or make any noise for key defensive plays. My kid's high school stadium gets louder than Foreman.

A lot of posters here are talking about needing an FBS quality staff. Who do you think ODU is going to get with a budget that seems to shrink annually? The reality of highly paid FBS coaching staffs is that a lot of that money is coming by way of donors and corporate sponsors. Who do you think is worthy of coaching ODU football?
10-08-2017 12:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

RE: An Old Hokie's Take on Young ODU Football
I feel defeated after a game and i dont evem play. Stsnding by myself trying to get fans engaged. I scanned to my left last night and a dozen more folks were trying.

I had a recruit in front of me and they ended up watching their phones more than the game listening to fans behind me yell fire the coach and wilder you suck. Sometimes this fan base is confusing and a total embarrassment.

At least those yelling those things are into the game and passionate...the other 14k people there had a great tailgate and cheap football game experience for a half a game.

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.
10-08-2017 01:19 PM
bit_9 Offline

I admit i say and question play calls. I'm no saint. We have total polar ends of those spectrum. Overly vocal critics and people sitting quietly by until the games out control or we're beating up on an inferior team.

10-08-2017 01:24 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
It's been hammered home on these boards, but I still can't get over how bad the defense was. I've never seen anything like that. Time and again FAU was converting 3rd and 10, 3rd and 11, and even 3rd and 16 by running the ball straight up the gut. After a while, it just came to be expected.

For as bad as the offense played, they still put up 28 points. The D lost this one.
10-08-2017 01:35 PM
bit_9 Offline

Yeah, broken record and I've vented as much as I need to. I'm just perplexed at the drop off from what I saw at vt.

And I saw it time and time again receivers giving up on routes and turning around and ball souring by. Shrug. It isn't all on Williams. That performance was a team effort. But we had a game like that last year then corrected stuff.

10-08-2017 01:45 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(10-08-2017 01:19 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  I feel defeated after a game and i dont evem play. Stsnding by myself trying to get fans engaged. I scanned to my left last night and a dozen more folks were trying.

I had a recruit in front of me and they ended up watching their phones more than the game listening to fans behind me yell fire the coach and wilder you suck. Sometimes this fan base is confusing and a total embarrassment.

At least those yelling those things are into the game and passionate...the other 14k people there had a great tailgate and cheap football game experience for a half a game.

4th and 29 was a huge disappointment to me. The 'Nova game was an eye opener, as was the UMD game. The second GaSo playoff was a huge disappointment.
However, although I questioned our schemes and gameplans, I was never worried about the overall direction of the program.

Not the loss per se, but the lopsidedness of App State game was my first uh oh moment.
This FAU game far was more devastating than that.

Someone mentioned Kiffen's comments; he seemed somewhat surprised about us giving them the middle and our DBs staying back so far against a team that likely would not pass long at all.
We didn't adjust.

I am reminded Randy Edsall's comments after the UMD game bout how they defended our pass with an 8 back short long double zone which allowed for a lot of yards in the middle of the field, but compressed in the red zone such no receiver could get separation. He remarked that he was somewhat surprised as that D essentially gave us the middle and we didn't try to take it.
We didn't adjust.

Although I have often second guessed our scheme, and play calling, as many armchair fans do, I was never worried about the program as a whole until this season.

We can talk about which QB all we want, but even with Bentley, we could generate offense against lesser teams. We could not this season. Our lack of offense this year is far more problematic than just the QB.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 01:50 PM by ODUalum78.)
10-08-2017 01:46 PM
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(10-08-2017 12:49 PM)GotLabradors Wrote:  The fact of the matter is that ODU/ODAF is not willing OR ABLE to put the money into having an FBS program. (Is there a plan for the $40 million initiative?) The stadium is just a damn embarrassment. I know ODU is saying 2019 to open the new place, but something tells me that won't be happening. (Great facilities get great recruits. It shows that the school is serious about their football program. What do ODU's facilities say about the importance of their program?) And add to that a fanbase that won't get out of their seats or make any noise for key defensive plays. My kid's high school stadium gets louder than Foreman.

A lot of posters here are talking about needing an FBS quality staff. Who do you think ODU is going to get with a budget that seems to shrink annually? The reality of highly paid FBS coaching staffs is that a lot of that money is coming by way of donors and corporate sponsors. Who do you think is worthy of coaching ODU football?

FIFY.

Shouldn't someone in a position of responsibility have thought through the financial aspect before abandoning FCS and the CAA? You'd think.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 01:57 PM by TheDancinMonarch.)
10-08-2017 01:56 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
It was bad enough for me that I had to turn off the stadium broadcast at halftime and suffer through the radio broadcast. You just can let people run up the middle on you all night long.
10-08-2017 02:30 PM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

It got pretty loud on a fee of those third and long situations....but when the defense consistently allows them to convert on 3rd and 10+ eventually I'm not going to have faith that my noise means anything. Fans had little to nothing to cheer for yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using CSNbbs mobile app
10-08-2017 05:27 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(10-08-2017 01:56 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 12:49 PM)GotLabradors Wrote:  The fact of the matter is that ODU/ODAF is not willing OR ABLE to put the money into having an FBS program. (Is there a plan for the $40 million initiative?) The stadium is just a damn embarrassment. I know ODU is saying 2019 to open the new place, but something tells me that won't be happening. (Great facilities get great recruits. It shows that the school is serious about their football program. What do ODU's facilities say about the importance of their program?) And add to that a fanbase that won't get out of their seats or make any noise for key defensive plays. My kid's high school stadium gets louder than Foreman.

FIFY.

Shouldn't someone in a position of responsibility have thought through the financial aspect before abandoning FCS and the CAA? You'd think.

They clearly didn't forsee Cox bringing forth the student fee limits. That impact can't be overstated enough.
10-09-2017 08:44 AM
ODUalum78 Online

(10-09-2017 08:44 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

FIFY.

They clearly didn't forsee Cox bringing forth the student fee limits. That impact can't be overstated enough.

Yes indeed.
10-09-2017 08:49 AM
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(10-09-2017 08:49 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

FIFY.

Yes indeed.

There are clearly ways around it. Will there is a will there is a way. The cox amendment is an excuse. Here are a couple for ya....charge more for the meal plans and/or make additional money around food service. You could also do public / private partnerships for the new stadium. You can always find ways to manipulate budgets.
10-09-2017 09:03 AM
ODUalum78 Online

(10-09-2017 09:03 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 08:49 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

FIFY.

Yes indeed.

There are clearly ways around it. Will there is a will there is a way. The cox amendment is an excuse. Here are a couple for ya....charge more for the meal plans and/or make additional money around food service. You could also do public / private partnerships for the new stadium. You can always find ways to manipulate budgets.

Not in Virginia. Every penny has to be an allocated line item. Not one penny of that extra meal fee would be allowed to be allocated in any way to athletics.

As to public/private partnerships, I believe that is what the "SB Ballard Stadium" is. I am not sure what you mean by public partnerships but I doubt that Norfolk is going to help pay for the stadium.
10-09-2017 09:24 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

ODU is basically going to have to make the case to the state that G5s make no money and they should be funded at the same percentages as FCS. The hard decision is going to be cutting some men's sports. Also, they should charge online students a fee too.
10-09-2017 10:01 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

Maybe tuition doesnt need to be the cheapest in the state anymore. We need to make more money off the students
10-09-2017 10:04 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(10-09-2017 10:04 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Maybe tuition doesnt need to be the cheapest in the state anymore. We need to make more money off the students

That would help out the revenue for ODU but not ODU athletics. We can't take more for fees without raising more from donors. You need fee increases to be offset by other revenue sources.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 10:58 AM by Monarchist13.)
10-09-2017 10:12 AM
Advertisement

Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

(10-08-2017 12:49 PM)GotLabradors Wrote:  A lot of posters here are talking about needing an FBS quality staff. Who do you think ODU is going to get with a budget that seems to shrink annually? The reality of highly paid FBS coaching staffs is that a lot of that money is coming by way of donors and corporate sponsors. Who do you think is worthy of coaching ODU football?

I'm not in the "FIRE E'ERYBODY!" camp at all, but can we talk about who y'all see as suitable replacements?
10-09-2017 10:58 AM
757ODU Offline
All American

(10-09-2017 10:58 AM)Grommet Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 12:49 PM)GotLabradors Wrote:  A lot of posters here are talking about needing an FBS quality staff. Who do you think ODU is going to get with a budget that seems to shrink annually? The reality of highly paid FBS coaching staffs is that a lot of that money is coming by way of donors and corporate sponsors. Who do you think is worthy of coaching ODU football?

I'm not in the "FIRE E'ERYBODY!" camp at all, but can we talk about who y'all see as suitable replacements?

Can we get Chris Creighton in here? What he has done at Eastern Michigan is incredible.
10-09-2017 11:20 AM
ODUalum78 Online

(10-09-2017 11:20 AM)757ODU Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 10:58 AM)Grommet Wrote:  

Can we get Chris Creighton in here? What he has done at Eastern Michigan is incredible.
Hehe yeah, and with virtually the same players.
You see this at JMU. With almost the exact players last year, Houston (or his DC) turned that defense from Swiss Cheese of the highest magnitude to the best defense that FCS has seen in some time.

On the other hand, there are some coaches that are better suited to coach the better players and as such don't do as well without them. Bill Curry at Ga St. and in basketball Paul Hewitt come to mind.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 11:54 AM by ODUalum78.)
10-09-2017 11:52 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

If we were to set aside some of the new stadium for academic purposes wouldn't that be a way around some of the states strict laws? Not saying that it could be done so I am asking more of a hypothetical question.
10-09-2017 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.