Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Position Grades Kent St
Bookmark and Share
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Position Grades Kent St
QB-C

It’s going to be the topic of convo around here for sure. Bottom line I think Carey played it right. Santa was struggling in the rain. Childers gave you a better run dimension vs a stacked box. Childers has some success so you ride him.

You could see the limitations in the passing game as the game went on, but nonetheless he did a nice job and got the result.

It’s still Santa’s job...and he’s still the right guy for the job at this juncture. The challenge is, mentally, he hasn’t had good juju now for a bit. We’ll see what he’s made of mentally.

RB-B

Not sure they had much of a chance to have a ton of success. They did well with the opportunity that presented itself. Not much more to say than that.

OL-D-

Really disappointed by this group yesterday. Given the weather conditions, this is a game where they could have taken control. Set the line of scrimmage. They didn’t...kent got the bettter of the Los. They held our run game in check. Forced a ton of pressure on passing downs. The penalties...my goodness. A huge step back this week for one of our strongest units.

WR-B-

Not ideal conditions for them to have a huge impact. We did get behind them a few times. Tears has got to lay out and make that one catch, but mostly balls that needed more touch. Did a nice in the interim routes and Yac.

DL-A

Dominated all day, but for their one sustained scoring drive. Is it Time we seriously start talking about Sutton Smith as an all-American? I can’t remember a more explosive Huskie...maybe English, maybe Ward. He’s that good.

LB-B+

Made plays all day. Very solid unit. Do need to sure up the tackling in the open field.

DB-A

Weren’t really tested, but came up with some big plays. The Lurry INT was fun!

ST-B

Good to see Hagan connect over 40. Ference was pretty good. The kickoff turnover debacle was just a weird deal.

Coaching-B

Thought Carey did the right thing with the QB situation. All in all, did the right things. Maybe a tad disappointed we didn’t have better halftime adjustments up front.

Overall just a meh performance on meh day. Win and advance. I don’t see anybody that scares me in this conference. A lot of good teams, no great ones. With our D we are going to be in position...comes down to finding some consistency on offense.
10-08-2017 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Position Grades Kent St
-Right side of the O-line a D-. Left side a C-.

-LBs a C+. I know they had some picks, but they lost contain in the middle on those QB runs. That was the only offense Kent had. Wonder how much was Pugh's absence?

Otherwise, total agreement
10-08-2017 08:45 AM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
Yeah Pugh would've been all over the QB runs. He is much more physical than Jones. But Jones did make some plays. I was disappointed I didn't see Schwab all over the ball like he was against Kent last year but looked like the other guys were making the the plays before he could which is fine. I think we'll see them improve week to week.
10-08-2017 11:43 AM
Advertisement

StevenNIU Offline
1st String

I agree that tackling could become a concern. Too many times the first man misses and they gain an extra 5 to 10 yards.
10-08-2017 12:00 PM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

(10-08-2017 12:00 PM)StevenNIU Wrote:  I agree that tackling could become a concern. Too many times the first man misses and they gain an extra 5 to 10 yards.

Yeah, certainly wasn't our best tackling day, but have to give a little bit of credit for that on the conditions.

In general, I'm not going to put too much into any of the results because of that. Win and move on.
10-08-2017 01:40 PM
Advertisement

142niu Offline
Special Teams

Spot on Grades. But I did think Ference had his worst day punting. Special Teams needs to be shored up. We are missing Beebe on all of the returns. O line was really disappointing and I'm not sure why? Maybe Kent's D line just had a great game.

If the offense can get consistent and limit mistakes, Special Teams improvement, and with our Defense. Detroit is theirs for the taking.
10-08-2017 01:57 PM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
Ference had a tough time punting into the wind but he was driving the ball with a lower trajectory which is a common strategy when punting into a strong wind. Look at the messed up kickoff. Started deep but pretty much just stopped and seemed to come back. His kicks with wind were fine.
10-09-2017 08:41 AM
Advertisement

Splooie99 Offline
2nd String

I didn't get to watch the entire game, but it seems like we had a little let down after the SDSU loss as well.

A win is a win, on to the next.
10-09-2017 08:48 AM
Huskie Info Offline
Bench Warmer

Kent State gained 102 yards on the ground and 131 total (29 passing). They scored three points, there were 8 three and outs! They averaged 2.2 yards per play and had 9 first downs IN THE GAME. LBs a C+??? Please!
10-09-2017 10:21 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-09-2017 10:21 AM)Huskie Info Wrote:  Kent State gained 102 yards on the ground and 131 total (29 passing). They scored three points, there were 8 three and outs! They averaged 2.2 yards per play and had 9 first downs IN THE GAME. LBs a C+??? Please!

You are correct. And people on this board fail to take into consideration the tremendously poor conditions the players were trying to navigate. The team did very well in conditions that very few fans could sit through.
10-09-2017 10:45 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(10-09-2017 10:21 AM)Huskie Info Wrote:  Kent State gained 102 yards on the ground and 131 total (29 passing). They scored three points, there were 8 three and outs! They averaged 2.2 yards per play and had 9 first downs IN THE GAME. LBs a C+??? Please!

Just for you I'll make it a B-. That way you won't need capitol letters and exclamation points. The defense was, as usual, lights out. But Kent state is just god aweful on offense. But more than that they are one dimensional. The QB run is all they have. There was a hole in the defense at the second level in the middle. Kent state exploited this last year with a 75yd td run by bollis. He was a step away from doing that again this year. Had their regular QB Hollis been in there,, he would have run for 100 himself. He's much more athletic than crum or Bollis.. The overall numbers are great, but there were a few blown assignments on some of those runs. 100 yards rushing to a team who can only run when you know they can only run isn't an A grade for every unit.
10-09-2017 10:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.