Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This is why you don't wait to fire bad coaches (Tubberville)
Bookmark and Share
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
This is why you don't wait to fire bad coaches (Tubberville)
Bohn really screwed the pooch on this one. I didn't like the Tubberville hire to begin with but was not feeling good at all after the first year. After year 2 and some of the embarrassing losses I was hoping we could part ways, but Bohn allowed it 2 drag out another 2 years, and now we have been left with a decimated team for this year and probably next year.

Also, what the hell happened to our defense? It was not good last year, but it has gotten a lot worse this year. I was hoping to see some minor improvements in this area.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 08:57 PM by jarr.)
10-07-2017 08:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: This is why you don't wait to fire bad coaches (Tubberville)
This is why you don't hire a buddy over a phone call without interviewing them or anyone else.

Bohn did nothing wrong. The d-bag at Va Tech did.

10-07-2017 08:49 PM
Bearcats#1 Online
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
[Image: TubsIMG_0333_090112-630x425.jpg]

"Howdy pardners...I jus wanted to mosey on in here and say that I just want to do this every time I think of all that money ya'll paid me to do basically nothin'...thanks again Bearcat fans, ya'll are the best!"

10-07-2017 08:53 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
I blame Mike Thomas and Nancy Zimpher.

10-07-2017 08:54 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
(10-07-2017 08:49 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  This is why you don't hire a buddy over a phone call without interviewing them or anyone else.

Babcock definately gets the heat for making the hire, but Bohn deserves some for not making the fire (sooner) They were worried about the buyout, but will be losing money in the long run from lack of interest during this rebuild.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 08:58 PM by jarr.)
10-07-2017 08:57 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(10-07-2017 08:57 PM)jarr Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 08:49 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  This is why you don't hire a buddy over a phone call without interviewing them or anyone else.

Babcock definately gets the heat for making the hire, but Bohn deserves some for not making the fire (sooner) They were worried about the buyout, but will be losing money in the long run from lack of interest during this rebuild.

Agree

10-07-2017 09:16 PM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
Haha I just checked. TT still has an active twitter @ttuberville. I hope everyone in this board is blocked by the end of the season.

10-07-2017 09:17 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Very true. But this staff is not setting the world on fire either.

10-07-2017 09:31 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(10-07-2017 09:31 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  Very true. But this staff is not setting the world on fire either.

Preach

10-07-2017 09:32 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

The first two years were actually not that bad from an overall records perspective even though the smart ones on this forum knew of the things to come. You can't fire a coach that went 18-8 that won a co-conference championship with a 7 game win streak in conference.

This coaching staff is actually making me wonder if we should have kept Tommy which tells you how I feel about this staff game day coaching.

10-07-2017 10:11 PM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(10-07-2017 08:54 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I blame Mike Thomas and Nancy Zimpher.

Yeah. He turned off the lights.

10-07-2017 10:36 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(10-07-2017 10:11 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  The first two years were actually not that bad from an overall records perspective even though the smart ones on this forum knew of the things to come. You can't fire a coach that went 18-8 that won a co-conference championship with a 7 game win streak in conference.

This coaching staff is actually making me wonder if we should have kept Tommy which tells you how I feel about this staff game day coaching.

This is just 2010 with a far worse roster and a loser mentality that needs to be blown up and rebuilt from the ground. The upper classmen on this roster, many of whom are not cut out for this level IMO, spent 3-4 years getting used to going through the motions as guests at Club Tee Time Tommy.

10-07-2017 11:00 PM
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(10-07-2017 10:11 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  The first two years were actually not that bad from an overall records perspective even though the smart ones on this forum knew of the things to come. You can't fire a coach that went 18-8 that won a co-conference championship with a 7 game win streak in conference.

Yeah, exactly.

Everyone remembers 2015 for the USF and San Diego State debacles - and how those 2 games signaled the beginning of the end of the "Tommy the Tsunami era." But even 2015 could have finished differently. What if UC kicks a FG (forces OT) or even gets a TD on the final drive at Houston? A win down there would have made 2015 forgivable too. That UH game happened before the USF and SDSU games, of course.

It is what it is. Tommy wasn't truly "fire-able" until November 2016 and the damage was already done by then. The re-build will be a long grind.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 11:43 PM by Nittany_Bearcat.)
10-07-2017 11:41 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

His first two years he had players from the previous regime. He also played an extremely easy sched. There were signs of things to come and it just became worse and worse.

I hear you about our current staff. They look unprepared and undisciplined most of the time. Our D is even more pourous than it was under Tubs. Of course the talent level is low.

10-07-2017 11:52 PM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
One thing I have faith in is that Fickel will recruit better than TT ever did.

As for actual coaching on gameday, well... The jury is still out. I liked the Fickel hire when it happened but I'll admit my judgment was clouded at the joy of no more Tommy. Now, I'm not so happy with it.

10-08-2017 12:09 AM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats

Yep.as much as we all saw the under pinnings, you can't fire a coach that won 25 games in his first 3 years.

10-08-2017 12:35 AM
Advertisement

Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
I felt that the adjustments that were made at halftime were..... non-existent. No fire. 3 and out. Poor tackling and a UCF TD in a couple minutes. Set the tone for calling it a night. Mercy rule apply to mid-major only?

10-08-2017 12:53 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(10-07-2017 08:46 PM)jarr Wrote:  Bohn really screwed the pooch on this one. I didn't like the Tubberville hire to begin with but was not feeling good at all after the first year. After year 2 and some of the embarrassing losses I was hoping we could part ways, but Bohn allowed it 2 drag out another 2 years, and now we have been left with a decimated team for this year and probably next year.

Also, what the hell happened to our defense? It was not good last year, but it has gotten a lot worse this year. I was hoping to see some minor improvements in this area.

I agree, UC needs to seriously consider a coaching change now. This staff is garbage.

10-08-2017 06:58 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(10-07-2017 10:11 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  This coaching staff is actually making me wonder if we should have kept Tommy which tells you how I feel about this staff game day coaching.

[Image: 200w.gif]

10-08-2017 11:32 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I wish I could at least see some evidence of development and improvement of the team, especially the Defense, but I don't. Usually the quality of play will increase with experience, but the quality of play has been uneven.

Hayden Moore has started playing better... Not great, but there has been improvement.
The Kicking game has gotten better.

But the Defense looks like it has gotten worse. Particularly the secondary. Carter Jacobs looks like he hasn't learned a darn thing...period. Whether that's because he just isn't that smart or because nobody is doing anything to sit him down and fix it, I don't really know, but he hasn't progressed at all this season. I would hope someone...the DC or Fickell or his position coach...would sit down in the film room and SHOW him what he's doing wrong and at least try to get him to change. (And maybe he's just really, really out of his depth at this level...but then you take him off the field, burn a RS and take your chances with a kid who CAN learn.)

I get that this is a really bad team. I do...and I hate the coach-who-shall-not-be-named for leaving us this hot, steaming, pile of s***. But I'm not seeing the type of growth and improvement that I thought Fickell and Co. would bring.

It's not just "losing," it's HOW we're losing that makes me the most impatient with this staff. When we lost at Michigan, but lost looking competitively and spitting and fighting, I had some hope. But I have come to the conclusion that had more to do with Michigan than it did UC. Michigan really is just not that good...that's why they didn't blow us away.

This coaching staff isn't going anywhere...so there is no point getting too upset over it. We're going to have to ride this train out...one way or another. But I don't see a whole lot of reasons to be optimistic about the outcome.

10-08-2017 12:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.