Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would the Sun Belt take Southern Miss and La Tech to go to 12?
Bookmark and Share
MadEagle Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
I recently asked on a Southern Miss board if they'd rather stay in the current CUSA alignment or go to the Sun Belt and most overwhelming picked the Sun Belt. We have horrible exposure in CUSA.
10-07-2017 01:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Check Yosef Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
RE: Would the Sun Belt take Southern Miss and La Tech to go to 12?
(10-07-2017 01:00 AM)MadEagle Wrote:  I recently asked on a Southern Miss board if they'd rather stay in the current CUSA alignment or go to the Sun Belt and most overwhelming picked the Sun Belt. We have horrible exposure in CUSA.
Southern miss I believe yes, la tech is more shaky

Sent from my LGLS992 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-07-2017 01:14 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Yes, but it will never happen. Tech won't be caught dead in such a situation
10-07-2017 02:02 AM
SouthJags2012 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: South Alabama
La Tech would demand we drop ULM therefore we would have 11. Then we would have to add another team. Southern Miss has a chance to become a great regional rival with multiple schools.
10-07-2017 02:35 AM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(10-07-2017 02:35 AM)SouthJags2012 Wrote:  La Tech would demand we drop ULM therefore we would have 11. Then we would have to add another team. Southern Miss has a chance to become a great regional rival with multiple schools.

La Tech would not "demand" anything. We'd simply stay in CUSA. We've made it pretty clear that we have no interest in being in a conference that already has two Louisiana universities in it. Besides, I don't imagine that most of the current SBC membership would want to have three Louisiana universities as SBC members either.
10-07-2017 04:53 AM
Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
Each team would be a rival for several SBC teams and both would make the conference better, so the short answer is yes. Can't see it happening however. Tech will not come, so if its one team I would prefer USM.
10-07-2017 05:14 AM
Advertisement

balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
yes! USM in a heartbeat. however, 3 teams in the state of Louisiana is too much,I think the sun belt would be better off with a team like UTSA as #12. rivalries are so important to the growth of a conference. and adding USM effectively locks down the middle of the conference with several close fan interest games. better to take care of the outerwest.
10-07-2017 05:43 AM
Atlanta Trojan Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
I'd like USM because we would be rivals. The two games we have played with them have both come down to the wire and been great games
10-07-2017 06:08 AM
Golota Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
People bring up Jackonsoville State as a potential SBC memeber. That’s 3 in Alabama. LT won’t in a conference with Cajuns and ULM it’s beneath them. They also refer to SBC as the SunBelch.
10-07-2017 06:15 AM
Atlanta Trojan Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(10-07-2017 06:15 AM)Golota Wrote:  People bring up Jackonsoville State as a potential SBC memeber. That’s 3 in Alabama. LT won’t in a conference with Cajuns and ULM it’s beneath them. They also refer to SBC as the SunBelch.

Ya, and we also say we don't need 3 sbc Alabama schools.... that would also make 6 FBS programs in Alabama
10-07-2017 06:42 AM
runninjoe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
You have to be happy with the current lineup imo. If a perfect fit like Southern Miss comes knocking then awesome, but they won’t. The current lineup if hitting on all cylinders can compare with any G5 conference. I wish stAte would play more CUSA folks but I don’t think they are interested. All they are about is perception which they no longer have
10-07-2017 06:58 AM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(10-07-2017 06:42 AM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 06:15 AM)Golota Wrote:  People bring up Jackonsoville State as a potential SBC memeber. That’s 3 in Alabama. LT won’t in a conference with Cajuns and ULM it’s beneath them. They also refer to SBC as the SunBelch.

Ya, and we also say we don't need 3 sbc Alabama schools.... that would also make 6 FBS programs in Alabama

I like southern miss. but I think they have their sights set on the AAC and so does latech.
10-07-2017 07:02 AM
GS99-00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
So if LT won't/shouldn't join, but we get USM then we should pick up either UTSA or our old Aggie friends from NMSU to get up to 12, with a 3rd option of MTSU.

Just throwing it out there and they came to us.

Divisions

East
App
Coastal
GS
GAST
Troy
USA/MTSU

West
stAte
ULM
UL
USM
TXST
USA/(NMSU/UTSA)

I think MTSU would fill the void w/ USM in the middle of our footprint (Tennessee/Mississippi).
But NMSU is always a possible since they are floating in Independent Sea looking to make landfall.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 07:23 AM by GS99-00.)
10-07-2017 07:12 AM
Golota Offline
Special Teams

(10-07-2017 06:42 AM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  

Does They load up on FBS transfers?
10-07-2017 07:18 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
I would gladly take any two of USM, La Tech, WKU, ODU, Marshall, or MT if they were interested. i feel like after realignment, we'll be playing with ODU, Marshall, and MT anyways and maybe even WKU. The only caveat would be trying to join with East Coast teams without joining the F_Us.
10-07-2017 07:20 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

There will be another big realignment happening in college football before Southern Miss and/or La Tech think about jumping to the Sun Belt.

The Sun Belt, as a 12-team league, wouldn't have much to offer those schools that would make it beneficial to leave CUSA. It's the same scenario for Sun Belt teams moving to CUSA.

The Sun Belt will likely stay as a 10-team league for the foreseeable future because of the higher amount of $$$ being split among the 10 schools, compared to CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2017 07:30 AM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
10-07-2017 07:27 AM
Advertisement

WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
They’d remove 2 first and then add them to go to 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-07-2017 08:01 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(10-07-2017 04:53 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 02:35 AM)SouthJags2012 Wrote:  La Tech would demand we drop ULM therefore we would have 11. Then we would have to add another team. Southern Miss has a chance to become a great regional rival with multiple schools.

La Tech would not "demand" anything. We'd simply stay in CUSA. We've made it pretty clear that we have no interest in being in a conference that already has two Louisiana universities in it. Besides, I don't imagine that most of the current SBC membership would want to have three Louisiana universities as SBC members either.

Kinda like the ACC doesn't need 4 North Carolina schools. Having those four teams, especially during basketball season, made the ACC special. People are going to have to get over themselves and realize in this era of diminishing TV revenues filling stadiums is the only way to survive. Close rivals means bigger crowds & less travel expense which equals a better bottom line. Today's athletic departmenst are being run by accountants, not former coaches with big egos and a superiority complex.
10-07-2017 08:37 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Gotta love these threads . . .

I think it's pretty obvious that The Belt would welcome either/both with open arms (no brainer).

But it ain't happenin'. . . Period.
10-07-2017 08:37 AM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

USM and UTSA would be my choice.
10-07-2017 08:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.