Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What impact will fewer FCS games have on bowl eligibility?
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
What impact will fewer FCS games have on bowl eligibility?
This year, there will be 17 fewer games between FBS teams and FCS opponents. How likely is it that there will be fewer bowl eligible teams as a result?

IIRC, last year there were only 76 conventionally eligible teams to fill 80 slots. Will we do better or worse this year?
10-05-2017 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: What impact will fewer FCS games have on bowl eligibility?
we have 30 teams already by quick counting with at least 4 wins. 36 more have 3 wins. 23 other teams are 2-2 so far. So I think we are a bit better than you think....

Also, didn't we lose a bowl game this year? If so we only need 78 teams.
10-05-2017 09:54 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
#TooManyBowls
10-05-2017 10:14 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(10-05-2017 09:54 AM)stever20 Wrote:  we have 30 teams already by quick counting with at least 4 wins. 36 more have 3 wins. 23 other teams are 2-2 so far. So I think we are a bit better than you think....

Actually, I didn't say what I think.

Last year at this point in the season, there were 70 teams with 3 or more wins. This year, 66.

Last year at this point in the season, there were 16 FCS games remaining on FBS schedules. This year, there are 6.

Last year at this point in the season, there were 37 teams with 3 or more losses. This year, there are 49.

All that being said, it isn't necessarily how many teams are playing fewer FCS opponents as which specific teams those are. Oklahoma State doesn't play an FCS this year, but they are still likely to qualify for a bowl. Eastern Michigan, on the other hand, might be more vulnerable.

Of course, we could just wait until Week 13 to find out the answer, but what fun is that?
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2017 11:51 AM by ken d.)
10-05-2017 11:15 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-05-2017 11:15 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 09:54 AM)stever20 Wrote:  we have 30 teams already by quick counting with at least 4 wins. 36 more have 3 wins. 23 other teams are 2-2 so far. So I think we are a bit better than you think....

Actually, I didn't say what I think.

Last year at this point in the season, there were 70 teams with 3 or more wins. This year, 66.

Last year at this point in the season, there were 16 FCS games remaining on FBS schedules. This year, there are 6.

Last year at this point in the season, there were 37 teams with 3 or more losses. This year, there are 49.

All that being said, it isn't necessarily how many teams are playing fewer FCS opponents as which specific teams those are. Oklahoma State doesn't play an FCS this year, but they are still likely to qualify for a bowl. Eastern Michigan, on the other hand, might be more vulnerable.

Of course, we could just wait until Week 13 to find out the answer, but what fun is that?
I think there's been more byes(largely weather related) so far this year compared to last year. I mean right now 76 teams have played at least 5 games. So that's what 54 teams that have had their byes already. 16 more teams get their byes this weekend(so over half the byes will be done after this weekend).

Also in the bowl calculations you have to add 1 team who can go bowling(UAB) and subtract 2 teams who can't go bowling(bowl dropped). That's going to help a lot. I think I'd be really surprised if we wind up with a shortfall of teams this year.
10-05-2017 01:15 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

If Shoegate spills over into football before the season is over, there could also be some self-imposed post season bans that could really throw the bowls into uncharted territory.
10-05-2017 01:29 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-05-2017 01:29 PM)ken d Wrote:  If Shoegate spills over into football before the season is over, there could also be some self-imposed post season bans that could really throw the bowls into uncharted territory.

I kind of don't see that happening, but you never know.
10-05-2017 02:33 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(10-05-2017 01:29 PM)ken d Wrote:  If Shoegate spills over into football before the season is over, there could also be some self-imposed post season bans that could really throw the bowls into uncharted territory.

The basket's unpacked and we're at the park. With ominous skies overhead, this picnic is going to happen until it's forced to stop.

Because, "this will hurt others if we do this now." Schools couldn't possibly hurt their conferences and their precious bowl partnerships...
10-05-2017 02:34 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:This year, there will be 17 fewer games between FBS teams and FCS opponents.

And still a good share of FCS upsets despite fewer matchups, which helps keep the door open, too. There are postponed games though, as pointed out, but some won't be re-played.

Which means, if a team goes 5-6, they won't be going to a bowl (or will be near the top of the waiting list).
10-05-2017 05:09 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
coastal carlina & UAB might throw out 20 wins to FBS
that will help
10-05-2017 05:38 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(10-05-2017 05:38 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  coastal carlina & UAB might throw out 20 wins to FBS
that will help

Along with UMass, Charlotte, UTEP, etc.

Having some really, really bad teams helps bowl eligibility as well.
10-05-2017 06:14 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
UTSA gets Baylor (W), UAB, UTEP, Rice and Texas State (W). Five easy wins (or should be)
10-05-2017 06:19 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
If the shoegate flows into the football? Should the top teams in FCS fill in for some of the bowls? Some of them could provide some great matchups against some of the G5 conferences. This could push the FCS playoffs back just in case who could go to a bowl game.
10-05-2017 07:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(10-05-2017 07:23 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  If the shoegate flows into the football? Should the top teams in FCS fill in for some of the bowls? Some of them could provide some great matchups against some of the G5 conferences. This could push the FCS playoffs back just in case who could go to a bowl game.

The lowest level bowl games will probably just close up shop
10-05-2017 07:45 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(10-05-2017 07:23 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  If the shoegate flows into the football? Should the top teams in FCS fill in for some of the bowls? Some of them could provide some great matchups against some of the G5 conferences. This could push the FCS playoffs back just in case who could go to a bowl game.

Just stop. It’s never going to happen, delusional.
10-05-2017 08:36 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-05-2017 09:35 AM)ken d Wrote:  This year, there will be 17 fewer games between FBS teams and FCS opponents. How likely is it that there will be fewer bowl eligible teams as a result?

IIRC, last year there were only 76 conventionally eligible teams to fill 80 slots. Will we do better or worse this year?

Well if most additions fall into the lower rung of a conference: Maryland & Rutgers, Missouri, and Boston College recently, then perhaps not much. And teams that fiddle middle of the pack don't hurt much either Nebraska, Texas A&M, Colorado, Utah, and Notre Dame. It's the T.C.U. and Louisville types who make their presence felt and usually are in position to knock a Florida State, Clemson, or Oklahoma out of the CFP that pose the real threat from realignment.
10-05-2017 08:58 PM
Advertisement

ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State

Might as well invite the Wonder boys from Arkansas Tech. hehehehehe

NO03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead
10-05-2017 09:04 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State
(10-05-2017 08:36 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

But DavidSt is serious!
10-05-2017 09:06 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(10-05-2017 09:06 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 08:36 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

But DavidSt is serious!
It would seem that being serious and being delusional is not always a contradiction.
10-05-2017 11:22 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(10-05-2017 07:45 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

The lowest level bowl games will probably just close up shop

I don't know. I think they would like North Dakota State, James Madison and a Jacksonville State that proves they could be ball with the big boys. This could be a try out for these schools to get a serious conference invites in the future.
10-06-2017 04:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.