I Root For: Bearcats U
RE: #25 UCF Pre-Game Talk

10-04-2017 10:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
OK... So I can listen to Fickell much better than Pinebox Tommy, but I get the urge to say "Woah!!!" and keep wondering if he's going to introduce himself as Luke Fickell, Esquire.

10-04-2017 10:43 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I like CLF....but he says the word "obviously" a lot. Once you key in on this, you start counting and generally miss everything else he says.

10-05-2017 06:44 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
I don't know for sure if Luke Fickell will be successful or not but I'm developing a slight man crush on this dude. There is zero panic in him which is exactly how a coach/CEO should be. He just puts it out there with no BS. It makes me feel even better about the recruits that Uc is getting because if they are the type of people that respond to that kind leadership then they will be very easy to root for.

10-05-2017 06:47 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

IMHO he is not a polished speaker, yet. He may never be. But I agree he's a straight shooter and won't run and hide when the heat turns up. He means what he says as says what he means and that's what you want as a player and as a fan.

We know where smooth talkin' jive got us with Captain Compost...

10-05-2017 08:20 AM
Advertisement

Major ----de Coverley Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: truffles
(10-05-2017 08:20 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  IMHO he is not a polished speaker, yet. He may never be. But I agree he's a straight shooter and won't run and hide when the heat turns up. He means what he says as says what he means and that's what you want as a player and as a fan.

"Captain Compost" is in the running for my favorite nickname. Thanks.

10-05-2017 08:30 AM
bearcat72 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-05-2017 08:20 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  IMHO he is not a polished speaker, yet. He may never be. But I agree he's a straight shooter and won't run and hide when the heat turns up. He means what he says as says what he means and that's what you want as a player and as a fan.

03-lmfao

10-05-2017 12:42 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Orlando Sentinel article....

Quote:No. 25 UCF eager to build on momentum, earn win at Cincinnati
By Matt Murschel, Contact Reporter
October 6, 2017, 1:50 PM

After a chaotic September schedule rearranged by Hurricane Irma, the Knights are back in a groove they believe gives them an edge.

“It’s nice to be back in game week and get in that, we call it the battle rhythm,” UCF defensive coordinator Erik Chinander said. “It’s nice to have that battle rhythm for the kids and they know exactly where to be, exactly what’s going on. Their bodies adjust and their minds adjust, so it’s really good.”

No. 25 UCF (3-0, 1-0 American Athletic Conference) spent the week getting ready to hit the road for the second time this season, this time making a trip to Cincinnati (2-3, 0-1) for a Saturday showdown at Nippert Stadium. Kickoff is at 8 p.m. and the game will air on ESPNU.

The Knights are off to their best start since 2013, which is also the last time the program was ranked. The team is looking to go 4-0 for the first time since 1988 when UCF was still competing at the Division II level.

Cincinnati, meanwhile, has lost its past two games, including falling 38-21 to Marshall last week.

Luke Fickell, who is in his first season as the coach at Cincinnati, is well aware of the threat UCF presents to his Bearcats squad.

“Athletically, I think they’re going to be a challenge,” Fickell said of the Knights. “The quarterback [McKenzie Milton] does a great job. He’s not taking sacks. He has the ability to run very well and he’s also making the throws, so it looks like he’s comfortable behind that offensive line and has a grasp of what they’re doing offensively.”

UCF enters the contest with the best offense in the AAC. The Knights are averaging more than 46 points and 563 yards per game this season.

Against Memphis last week, UCF amassed more than 600 yards for the first time since 2013. The team also accounted for more than 350 rushing yards, eclipsing the 300-yard mark for the first time since 2011.

If Cincinnati is going to slow down UCF’s offense, the Bearcats will have to do a better job of tackling, especially when it comes to bringing down the Knights’ triple-threat Adrian Killins.

“I don’t know if we’ve had one this year, not a go-to guy … but a guy that stands out a bit separate from everyone else,” Fickell said when asked if he’s faced a player of Killins’ caliber. “He poses a lot of issues and we’ve got to do a better job than what we’ve done all year just leveraging the football, and being able to tackles and making plays in space.”

For Cincinnati to succeed, the Bearcats will need more production from their playmakers.

“We’ve got to be able to move the ball around. We’ve got to get the ball into the hands of the guys who can make plays,” Fickell said. “Our most productive and most electric guy has been Mike Boone and Mike hasn’t been available for us in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, we’ll be able to get Mike back where he’s healthy enough to be able to generate some of that momentum and energy.”

Boone, a senior running back, has missed two games this season while dealing with an ankle injury. He returned to the field against Marshall last week, but he only managed 17 yards on five carries. So far this season, he’s rushed for just 161 yards and two touchdowns.

Despite the disparity in records, UCF is prepared to be tested.

“This is going to be a challenge. We’re going up to that place and it’s not an easy place to play,” coach Scott Frost said. “[It’s] a night game, so we’re going to have to earn this one. They’re sound in everything they do. They don’t give you a lot of freebies.”

UCF Game

10-06-2017 04:31 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Went up to our local high school game and watched them put 42 points on the board in the first half. I'm tempted to ask their coach to visit UC to give them some pointers.

10-06-2017 08:24 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Enquirer article...

Quote:UC Bearcats vs. Central Florida: Scouting report and prediction
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com Published 12:42 p.m. ET Oct. 6, 2017 | Updated 12:44 p.m. ET Oct. 6, 2017

The matchup

Cincinnati (2-3, 0-1 AAC East) vs. No. 25 UCF (3-0, 1-0 AAC East)

Kickoff: Saturday, 8 p.m. at Nippert Stadium (40,000)

TV/Radio: ESPNU/700 WLW-AM

When UC runs

With a run game that ranks 119th nationally, UC fans at least are encouraged by redshirt freshman running back Gerrid Doaks (201 yards, 4.5 yards per carry, 2 touchdowns) and true freshman RB Michael Warren II (115, 5.5, 1). Senior RB Mike Boone (161, 4.5, 2) returned from injury last week but was held to 17 yards on 5 carries. The offensive line continues to be inconsistent. The going could be rough against UCF, which allows only 2.9 yards per rush (14th-best nationally).

When UC passes

Wide receiver Devin Gray has nine catches for 127 yards and a TD over his last two games. quarterback Hayden Moore has a 9-4 touchdown-interception ratio but has completed only 52.5 percent of his passes. UC receivers still sometimes have trouble getting separation, and Moore's occasional overthrows do not help. The Bearcats may face trouble on obvious passing downs. UC ranks 99th nationally in third-down conversion percentage, while UCF is No. 4 nationally in third-down conversion percentage defense.

When UCF runs

Knights sophomore RB Adrian Killins (5-8, 158) is dangerous, with a 96-yard TD run in a 40-13 win over Memphis last week. Sophomore QB Mackenzie Milton (5-11, 185) also is a major threat, averaging 9.3 yards per rush. The Knights average a healthy 5.6 yards per rush, which ranks 18th nationally. The UC defense held Marshall to just 3.0 yards per carry last week, but the Bearcats still rank just 120th nationally against the run.

When UCF passes

Milton had thrown for 791 yards, with a strong 64.6 percent completion rate. Milton also has eight TD passes and only two interceptions, and he ranks No. 7 nationally in passing efficiency. Sophomore WR Dredrick Snelson (6-0, 206) leads the team with 12 catches. Junior WR Tre'Quan Smith (6-1, 210) has 10 catches, a 17.2-yard average and four TDs. UC was raked for four TD passes last week by Marshall QB Chase Litton. The Bearcats rank 92nd nationally in pass efficiency defense.

Special teams

UCF has a solid kicker in junior Matthew Wright, 29-for-35 on career field goal attempts. UC kicker Josh Pasley is up and down, missing a 26-yard field goal attempt last week. UC punter James Smith has the Bearcats ranked a decent 46th nationally in net punting, much-needed because of UC's below-average offense. UC again ranks low nationally in punt returns (82nd) and kickoff returns (88th), continuing several years of subpar production.

Gresh’s Gameplan: 3 keys to victory

Make something happen early

UC always makes an impressive Nippert Stadium entrance amid smoke, fire and parachutists. Then, things tend to go poorly. UC has been outscored 42-17 in the first quarter this year, and is averaging almost 100 yards less than opponents during that period. With a nationally ranked team coming in, a first-half debacle such as last week's 24-0 deficit to Marshall cannot happen again.

Stop turning it over

After playing turnover-free in a 26-14 opening win over Austin Peay, UC has made eight turnovers in its last four games. UCF is not a team to be making turnovers against. The Knights rank No. 1 nationally in turnover margin at plus-2.33 per game. That included five takeaways last week against previously unbeaten Memphis. The UCF offense has only three turnovers, and UC will need some forced fumbles and/or interceptions to stay in this one.

Contain UCF's running game

UCF ranks No. 16 nationally in rushing offense, with the UC defense No. 120 against the run. The UC numbers are skewed by the school record-worst 569 rushing yards allowed against Navy two weeks ago, but the math still does not bode well. UCF is averaging three rushing touchdowns per game, and UC must hold the Knights at or below that number.

Number of note

3 - UCF is one of only three teams ranked in the Top 10 nationally in both scoring offense and scoring defense. The Knights are No. 7 in both categories, averaging 46.3 points and allowing 13.3 per game.

Prediction

UCF 33, Cincinnati 24

After last week's 38-21 loss to Marshall, some naturally expect things to be worse against UCF. Beating a ranked team is never easy, and almost every key statistical number favors UCF. We do see UC covering the Las Vegas spread of 17 points, a large number against a home team. Flawless football is needed for any chance of an upset.

TEAM AVERAGES

Points for, points against, total offense, rushing offense, passing offense, total defense, rushing defense, passing defense

UC: 22.8, 29.4, 319.4, 100.0, 219.4, 401.2, 237.8, 163.4

UCF: 46.3, 13.3, 539.3, 249.3, 290.0, 309.3, 83.7, 225.7.

UCF Game Preview

10-06-2017 09:57 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Moore and Trail...

Quote:Fickell sticking with Moore as UC quarterback
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com Published 4:01 p.m. ET Oct. 3, 2017 | Updated 7:24 p.m. ET Oct. 3, 2017

Junior quarterback Hayden Moore has been as up and down as the University of Cincinnati football team's 2-3 season record, but coach Luke Fickell said that Moore will remain the starter.

The Bearcats (2-3, 0-1 AAC East) next face No. 25 UCF (3-0, 1-0 AAC East) on Saturday at 8 p.m. at Nippert Stadium.

Moore went 22-for-45 passing for 211 yards and a touchdown in last Saturday's 38-21 loss to Marshall. Moore has nine TD passes against four interceptions this year, but his season completion rate of 52.5 percent ranks just 116th nationally. Moore also is averaging only 5.4 yards per attempt, which ranks 120th.

Fickell, speaking at his weekly media luncheon Tuesday at UC, said he considered putting sophomore backup quarterback Ross Trail into the Marshall game. Trail mostly was unavailable for the better part of a month, after suffering an abdominal strain in preseason practice.

"There was a point in time where we were going to give Ross an opportunity on Saturday, just because of the way it was," Fickell said. "But you're down so much there, if you throw him in there for the first time this year, we didn't feel like it was the right time to give him that opportunity."

Could Trail soon see action?

"There's a chance," Fickell said. "It's basically how the game's going, but also how practice goes. You get a good sense of when guys are completely locked in, where you've got an opportunity for a guy to give you a spark. But there's also a balance there. All of a sudden you throw somebody else in, and you kind of mess with a lot of different things.

"There's a lot more to it than just, 'Put him in and let's see if he can do it.' If we're going to do this, we've got to have a plan. There's got to be a reason for it."

UC football: 5 takeaways from 17-point loss to Marshall
Tuesday, Moore was unavailable during the player interview period that follows Fickell's press conferences.

UC running back Mike Boone, a senior tri-captain, said the team is united behind Moore.

"Definitely," Boone said. "We've got faith in Hayden. Things will turn around. That's been my quarterback the past two years. I like Hayden, and I'm pretty sure everybody else on the team likes Hayden."

TOUGH ONE: UC faces a mammoth challenge against UCF, which has blasted three opponents by a combined score of 139-40. That includes a 40-13 destruction of previously unbeaten Memphis last Saturday.

UCF has it all, ranking No. 7 nationally in both scoring offense and scoring defense. Coach Scott Frost took a winless team from 2015 and turned it into a 6-7 bowl team into 2016, and the Knights reached the Top 25 this week.

UC Bearcats to open renovated Fifth Third Arena vs. Ohio State Buckeyes in 2018
The Knights are led by sophomore quarterback McKenzie Milton, who ranks seventh nationally in pass efficiency. Milton has thrown for 791 yards, with eight touchdown passes and two interceptions. Running back Adrian Killins leads the team with 192 yards rushing and averages 9.1 yards per carry, with two touchdowns.

UCF linebacker Shaquem Griffin, the 2016 AAC Defensive Player of the Year, was a USA Today preseason All-American.

"Athleticism," UC defensive tackle Cortez Broughton said, when asked what strikes him about UCF. "Amazing quarterback, great running back. We have to play disciplined."

SLOW STARTS: Fickell reiterated that he is proud of UC showing resiliency after a 24-0 halftime deficit against Marshall, but he also repeated that the Bearcats must play better early. UC has been outscored 42-17 in the first quarter this year, and is averaging almost 100 yards less than opponents during that period.

"It's draining, when you're always scratching and clawing," Fickell said. "It really makes it difficult. It's one thing when you've created some momentum and had some positive energy, but that game can be almost like two games when you're fighting so much from behind."

INJURY NOTES: Wide receiver Kahlil Lewis (bruised knee) should be available this week, Fickell said. Another starter, defensive end Bryan Wright, has a shoulder injury. Fickell said he will monitor Wright's status this week.

Moore Trail

10-06-2017 10:04 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
after the debacle that was last week I am only hoping it is not another embarrassment.

10-06-2017 10:07 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I will gladly take a 33-24 loss...

10-07-2017 01:52 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(10-06-2017 10:07 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  after the debacle that was last week I am only hoping it is not another embarrassment.

Bet heavy on the Bearcats. We had our worst game last week and they had their best. Close game

10-07-2017 07:39 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
I'd like to see how the team would play if they score the first touchdown.

10-07-2017 07:57 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Keep it respectable boys....keep it respectable

10-07-2017 09:47 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(10-07-2017 07:57 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  I'd like to see how the team would play if they score the first touchdown.

Is that an option?

10-07-2017 11:40 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(10-07-2017 11:40 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 07:57 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  I'd like to see how the team would play if they score the first touchdown.

Is that an option?

It just wouldn't be the same if we're not playing from behind.

10-07-2017 12:02 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
UC v UCF was one of the Games on Bear's Board on Gameday.
Bear said UC won't win but after the embarrassment last week UC will keep the game closer than the spread.

Will be raining during the game. 80% chance at 8 p.m. and 100% at 10 p.m.
Weather may have an affect on the outcome.

For those going, take a poncho.

10-07-2017 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.