Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How about conference vs conference all-star games?
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
How about conference vs conference all-star games?
What if instead of going to a traditional North vs South/East vs West Senior Bowl if conferences arranged to cohost senior/all star games against another conference for their players who were graduating and/or declaring for the draft? Would a Big Ten vs Pac 12 or SEC vs ACC game generate more interest and revenue?
10-04-2017 07:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: How about conference vs conference all-star games?
There is a reason they are Sr. Bowls. Not enough Seniors would be available.
10-04-2017 07:43 PM
Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
I've thought this might be fun in hoops during final 4 weekend. Probably easier to pull off logistically too.
10-04-2017 08:58 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Those expected to be drafted highly are likely not going to be available, too much risk. For that reason the Sr. Bowl / EW Shrine games are on the endangered species list. That's one reason the Blue/Gray game is gone.

Only the kids still trying to get noticed want to play. IMO they all will soon be gone and mostly because of the increased risk of injury coupled with less interest in names likely not to play at the next level.
10-04-2017 10:56 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
In 1978 & 1979, there was an all-star game at the Kingdome in Seattle called the Olympia Challenge Bowl (sponsored by the beer). The first year, the Pac 8 played the Big Ten. The second year, the Pac 10 played the Big 8. Members of the winning team received $1200 each, members of the losing team received $800 each.

(game is mentioned toward the bottom of the article)
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl...76657.html

It is doubtful that a conference could pull this off today. As mentioned upthread, there is too much injury risk for potential draft picks.
10-04-2017 11:16 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(10-04-2017 07:09 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  What if instead of going to a traditional North vs South/East vs West Senior Bowl if conferences arranged to cohost senior/all star games against another conference for their players who were graduating and/or declaring for the draft? Would a Big Ten vs Pac 12 or SEC vs ACC game generate more interest and revenue?

I'd like to see something like this in baseball, the sport where the All-Star format works the best. There's probably not enough interest in collegiate baseball nationwide for it to happen though.
10-06-2017 08:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.