We have a coach if they want him
10-01-2017 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Golota Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
RE: UTEP coach resigns.
(10-01-2017 06:43 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  We have a coach if they want him

They might get him as DC on the cheap with the buy out.
10-01-2017 06:52 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(10-01-2017 06:40 PM)Golota Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...-0-5-start

Any SBC coaches will be looked at?

Head coaches? Is UTEP better than any job in the Sun Belt? Maybe Idaho, solely because they're moving to FCS.
10-01-2017 06:55 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
UTEP is where football coaching careers go to die. Who would possibly jump ship? Even Idaho shouldn't be scared. Winning in the FCS will do more for Petrino than anything that could be done at UTEP.
10-01-2017 07:02 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
I'd expect Paul Petrino to take another G5 job. He's clearly an FBS-level head coach, and Idaho has decided not to be an FBS program. But thanks to the long rebuild required when he took the Idaho job his career W/L record is still an ugly 17-35. That record plus his not-always-winning personality likely would make him a hard sell to the boosters at the better G5 programs, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up on another rebuild job at a low-profile school like UTEP.
10-01-2017 07:05 PM
Advertisement

LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(10-01-2017 07:02 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  UTEP is where football coaching careers go to die. Who would possibly jump ship? Even Idaho shouldn't be scared. Winning in the FCS will do more for Petrino than anything that could be done at UTEP.

Beau Baldwin somehow never got an FBS job despite years of winning at EWU. Craig Bohl had to win 3 FCS titles in a row before finally getting an FBS job, and even then it was only at a bad Wyoming team. FCS coaches don't get hired all that often.
10-01-2017 07:08 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(10-01-2017 06:40 PM)Golota Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...-0-5-start

They don't have the money to pay for one of our HCs even if they wanted that job. They paid their coach less than 600k
10-01-2017 07:08 PM
Golota Offline
Special Teams

(10-01-2017 06:55 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

Head coaches? Is UTEP better than any job in the Sun Belt? Maybe Idaho, solely because they're moving to FCS.

I said looked at and if they offer enough money anything is possible.
10-01-2017 07:42 PM
Golota Offline
Special Teams

(10-01-2017 07:08 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  

They don't have the money to pay for one of our HCs even if they wanted that job. They paid their coach less than 600k
Maybe some Narcos son from Juarez wants the Miners to be good.
10-01-2017 07:45 PM
Heisman

(10-01-2017 07:08 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 07:02 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  UTEP is where football coaching careers go to die. Who would possibly jump ship? Even Idaho shouldn't be scared. Winning in the FCS will do more for Petrino than anything that could be done at UTEP.

Beau Baldwin somehow never got an FBS job despite years of winning at EWU. Craig Bohl had to win 3 FCS titles in a row before finally getting an FBS job, and even then it was only at a bad Wyoming team. FCS coaches don't get hired all that often.

None of what you said is relevant to what I said.

"Winning in the FCS will do more for Petrino than anything that could be done at UTEP."

If he wants to retire at UTEP, then it would be a good move. Otherwise, he has more to gain staying put.
10-01-2017 11:25 PM
Advertisement

LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(10-01-2017 11:25 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 07:08 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  

None of what you said is relevant to what I said.

"Winning in the FCS will do more for Petrino than anything that could be done at UTEP."

If he wants to retire at UTEP, then it would be a good move. Otherwise, he has more to gain staying put.

Fair enough. Actually, I don't think he has a lot to gain by either staying at Idaho or going to UTEP. He's on a sinking ship, but likely he's looking for a less rickety life raft. Career-wise, he's probably better off going back to work for his brother than either of those two options.
10-01-2017 11:47 PM
Heisman

I think you guys have a hard time stepping back, and I don't blame you. If Idaho has success at the FCS level, he'll get a good shot again, precisely because he has FBS experience, should he want it. Idaho isn't a bad place, even going to FCS.
10-02-2017 03:02 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Wow, 2 days ago someone posted on twitter that Summers was going to UTEP. When was the UTEP announcement made? This is likely just wishful thinking.
10-02-2017 06:32 AM
Golota Offline
Special Teams

(10-02-2017 06:32 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Wow, 2 days ago someone posted on twitter that Summers was going to UTEP. When was the UTEP announcement made? This is likely just wishful thinking.

Yesterday.
10-02-2017 06:53 AM
nsavandal09 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: I-D-AHO!
(10-01-2017 07:05 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  I'd expect Paul Petrino to take another G5 job. He's clearly an FBS-level head coach, and Idaho has decided not to be an FBS program. But thanks to the long rebuild required when he took the Idaho job his career W/L record is still an ugly 17-35. That record plus his not-always-winning personality likely would make him a hard sell to the boosters at the better G5 programs, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up on another rebuild job at a low-profile school like UTEP.

I highly doubt he leaves, Petrino is a family man.
-He played at a NAIA school that his dad coached him and his brothers at.
-He and his brother coached under their dad.
-Paul followed Bobby to multiple stops including Arkansas.
-Now that his son is on the team at Idaho he's going to leave? His son is a very poor FBS QB and wouldn't be anything better than a walk-on anywhere else.
-His contract expires after his son's senior year. He was given a school record extension and a raise after a 4-8 season including blowing a 24 point lead in Las Cruces. The school can't afford to pay a buyout, why would he walk away from that? I fully expect him to leave after this contract though.
10-02-2017 02:46 PM
Advertisement

Golota Offline
Special Teams

(10-02-2017 02:46 PM)nsavandal09 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 07:05 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  I'd expect Paul Petrino to take another G5 job. He's clearly an FBS-level head coach, and Idaho has decided not to be an FBS program. But thanks to the long rebuild required when he took the Idaho job his career W/L record is still an ugly 17-35. That record plus his not-always-winning personality likely would make him a hard sell to the boosters at the better G5 programs, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up on another rebuild job at a low-profile school like UTEP.

-Now that his son is on the team at Idaho he's going to leave? His son is a very poor FBS QB and wouldn't be anything better than a walk-on anywhere else.
-His contract expires after his son's senior year. He was given a school record extension and a raise after a 4-8 season including blowing a 24 point lead in Las Cruces. The school can't afford to pay a buyout, why would he walk away from that? I fully expect him to leave after this contract though.

His son can stay or take his redshirt year at another school.
10-02-2017 02:59 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(10-02-2017 02:46 PM)nsavandal09 Wrote:  

You're more of an optimist than I am. His son can leave with him if he goes, and the "school record" extension still isn't very much money for an FBS coach.
10-02-2017 03:47 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
One thing no prospective head coach has ever said...

"I really hope I get a call for the UTEP job."

At least it hasn't been said by anyone who didn't kill themselves within a year of saying it.
10-02-2017 06:40 PM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
Summers needs to follow suit
10-03-2017 02:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.