Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Outcome Predictions of Shoegate
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Outcome Predictions of Shoegate
The NCAA in their self-serving ways to protect their billion dollar enterprise will come up with reforms. They'll say CYA statements and apologies that they should have done better. They'll try to put in more feckless controls to enforce rules. They might even ban or put a cap on what shoe companies can pay to schools.

At this point the schools either all take a step back and work on meaningful reforms with the NCAA or more likely the biggest schools break away and form a new association. Could see a new Power 30/60/90/120?

Just my early speculative thoughts.

Feedback?
09-28-2017 08:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
RE: Outcome Predictions of Shoegate
Hopefully a deal is made with the NBA that ends the 1 and done rule. The ball is really in their court but I hope that they do the right thing. I like the ideas that I think Seth Greenberg was discussing yesterday would be good. Basically start up a salaried club system similar to what they have in Europe. Lots of kids have no business at universities and probably have no desire to be there other than that's the path that they have to take to the NBA.

As far as what the NCAA does it's anybody's guess. Truth be known it needs to be blown up and rebuilt completely.
09-28-2017 08:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I think this, coupled with the P5 in FBS, will lead to the elimination, or at very least de-emphasization, of the NCAA. Over the last several years, big-time programs like Penn State, Miami, Baylor, USC, UNC and Louisville all have come under major fire for major infractions and - in some cases - criminal activity. Without the usage or enforcement of the death penalty, there is little-to-no incentive for programs to not cheat and bend the rules in order to protect its major sports and their overall competitiveness. Right now, schools will absolutely "sacrifice" a couple of years on probation in order to have a shot at one national championship - because, in retrospect, the money earned and branding spread outweighs the cost of getting penalized.

"Shoegate" may not be the first major scandal college athletics, but the fact that FBI got involved, and that the NCAA had no clue it was going on, should speak volumes as to where we are headed within college sports.
09-28-2017 08:51 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(09-28-2017 08:48 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  Hopefully a deal is made with the NBA that ends the 1 and done rule. The ball is really in their court but I hope that they do the right thing. I like the ideas that I think Seth Greenberg was discussing yesterday would be good. Basically start up a salaried club system similar to what they have in Europe. Lots of kids have no business at universities and probably have no desire to be there other than that's the path that they have to take to the NBA.

As far as what the NCAA does it's anybody's guess. Truth be known it needs to be blown up and rebuilt completely.

The one-and-done rule is not the cause of where college basketball is currently at. This type of thing has been going on since the 80's. However, I do think changing the format to what MLB uses - declare after high school OR wait until after Junior year - would be incredibly beneficial to all involved, especially since the G-League is now taking off and being more reputable.
09-28-2017 08:54 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Some big school will get the "death penalty" over this.
09-28-2017 08:54 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(09-28-2017 08:54 AM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Some big school will get the "death penalty" over this.

So you think a school like UL shuts down basketball for a year or two and a few "self-serving reforms" are put in place by the NCAA and we march on?
09-28-2017 08:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
I don't know if we see a split, but that'd be great for this board as we'd have a lot to talk about. (Imagine if the power 65 said something like "we're going to form our own association and driving our number to 80 - tune in at 7PM Sunday for the reveal of those 15 schools!") This board would go nuts!
09-28-2017 09:01 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(09-28-2017 08:38 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  The NCAA in their self-serving ways to protect their billion dollar enterprise will come up with reforms. They'll say CYA statements and apologies that they should have done better. They'll try to put in more feckless controls to enforce rules. They might even ban or put a cap on what shoe companies can pay to schools.

At this point the schools either all take a step back and work on meaningful reforms with the NCAA or more likely the biggest schools break away and form a new association. Could see a new Power 30/60/90/120?

Feedback?
Why would they break away? To form a professional sleaze league?

They stay with everyone else for a reason. They get to hide in a huge crowd of amateurs and yell "student-athlete" when they get caught.

They get built in home games they don't have to return with neutered patsy opponents on an unfair playing field. Why would they break away from that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
09-28-2017 09:06 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(09-28-2017 08:38 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  The NCAA in their self-serving ways to protect their billion dollar enterprise will come up with reforms. They'll say CYA statements and apologies that they should have done better. They'll try to put in more feckless controls to enforce rules. They might even ban or put a cap on what shoe companies can pay to schools.

Feedback?

Thoughts.

There will be investigations. Some people will be the sacrificial lambs and get fired. The powers that be will huff & puff & pound their chest demanding "changes". Some programs will be "punished" and others put on probation. In the end, within 5 years or so, things will go back to the exact same way they are now.

There's WAY too much money to be spread around to think it won't.
09-28-2017 09:13 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(09-28-2017 09:01 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I don't know if we see a split, but that'd be great for this board as we'd have a lot to talk about. (Imagine if the power 65 said something like "we're going to form our own association and driving our number to 80 - tune in at 7PM Sunday for the reveal of those 15 schools!") This board would go nuts!

Maybe even a live stream of a fan here killing himself when his school was the first team not selected?
09-28-2017 09:14 AM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
How about just that student athletes are officially considered employees of their school. Then, just like coaches, they can make money from advertisements, shoe companies, whoever wants to pay. They would have to sign commitment letters like coaches contracts: I agree to play here for three years. My contract is void if I am caught with drugs, in a domestic violence situation, etc.

To clarify, I like "amateur status" but I know alot goes on under the table anyway, this would just make it official.
09-28-2017 09:16 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Thoughts?

Big punishment for the Cross-Country team.
Directional schools will be under a magnifying glass.
That kid on the soccer team that worked at his high school over the summer coaching younger kids will lose his scholarship
09-28-2017 09:17 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(09-28-2017 09:16 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  How about just that student athletes are officially considered employees of their school. Then, just like coaches, they can make money from advertisements, shoe companies, whoever wants to pay. They would have to sign commitment letters like coaches contracts: I agree to play here for three years. My contract is void if I am caught with drugs, in a domestic violence situation, etc.

To clarify, I like "amateur status" but I know alot goes on under the table anyway, this would just make it official.

There would still be pressure to go to certain schools. adidas isn't going to want them going to a Nike school.
09-28-2017 09:18 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(09-28-2017 09:14 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 09:01 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I don't know if we see a split, but that'd be great for this board as we'd have a lot to talk about. (Imagine if the power 65 said something like "we're going to form our own association and driving our number to 80 - tune in at 7PM Sunday for the reveal of those 15 schools!") This board would go nuts!

Maybe even a live stream of a fan here killing himself when his school was the first team not selected?

That escalated quickly lol
09-28-2017 09:18 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(09-28-2017 09:16 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  How about just that student athletes are officially considered employees of their school. Then, just like coaches, they can make money from advertisements, shoe companies, whoever wants to pay. They would have to sign commitment letters like coaches contracts: I agree to play here for three years. My contract is void if I am caught with drugs, in a domestic violence situation, etc.

The problem with that is Lamar Jackson makes a ton of money and the guys that block for him don't get anything.
09-28-2017 09:21 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(09-28-2017 08:54 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 08:48 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  Hopefully a deal is made with the NBA that ends the 1 and done rule. The ball is really in their court but I hope that they do the right thing. I like the ideas that I think Seth Greenberg was discussing yesterday would be good. Basically start up a salaried club system similar to what they have in Europe. Lots of kids have no business at universities and probably have no desire to be there other than that's the path that they have to take to the NBA.

The one-and-done rule is not the cause of where college basketball is currently at. This type of thing has been going on since the 80's. However, I do think changing the format to what MLB uses - declare after high school OR wait until after Junior year - would be incredibly beneficial to all involved, especially since the G-League is now taking off and being more reputable.

The problem here is that this "fix" would have to imposed by the NBA as part of their collective bargaining agreement. And it isn't the NBA who has the problem in the first place. The current system works well for them.

It is true that the G-league has now become a more viable option financially for players. Until recently, they weren't getting much more than minimum wage. But for the NBA, any high school stars who go straight to the D-league become invisible and unknown. Those who play in college, even if only for a year, come in with name recognition that is priceless for the NBA.

In order to fix this internally, the NCAA and its lawyers would have to come up with an athletic scholarship contract that provides for substantial payments by the player to the school in the event he earns money playing his sport professionally before his collegiate eligibility would have expired. Those payments could be tied to his earnings as a pro - the more the player earns, the more he has to pay his school. And he could be absolved from such payments if he stays in school for three full years.

But none of this fixes the problem that the FBI has exposed.
09-28-2017 09:24 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

Feedback?
Too early to know IMHO
09-28-2017 09:24 AM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
(09-28-2017 09:24 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Feedback?
Too early to know IMHO

I agree with this. Some major changes will happen, but too early to know what.
09-28-2017 09:29 AM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
25-50 coaches will do jail time. A handful to a dozen NCAA officials will do jail time. The NCAA's purpose will be reshape to an agency for self-reporting of fraud with greater leniency than if the FBI discovers fraud on its own.

Dirty industries get a lot better at self-regulation very quickly when people start doing time.
09-28-2017 09:34 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
NBA needs to invest in the G league instead of the WNBA. Give high school players the baseball option, enter at 18 or 21.
09-28-2017 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.