Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What are they protesting? Where's the "injustice"?
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
What are they protesting? Where's the "injustice"?
Does anybody have an answer with statistics, studies, etc that back their opinions?

When you dig into the raw FBI data and number of police brutality incidents you will realize that the narratives don't align with reality.

https://californiainnocenceproject.org/i...isconduct/

Police misconduct statistics gathered by the Cato Institute’s National Police Misconduct Reporting Project confirm that around 1% of all police officers commit misconduct in a given year and that the consequences of such misconduct are grim.

Based on the spreadsheet and linked here...

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/ezaucr/as...isplay.asp
https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-...statistics

There are about 11 to 12 million arrests per year. Common sense tells you that there are MANY more police interactions with individuals on any given year. For intents of this post I'm just going to use the number of arrests as my denominator.

http://time.com/4843156/police-fatal-sho...tics-2017/
For 2 years running there were over 1,000 fatal shootings by officers. We're on track to hit that number for a 3rd year in a row.

1,000 shootings / 12,000,000 arrests = 0.01% arrests lead to a fatal shooting.
Again... consider the number of interactions with officers is MUCH higher than the number of arrests.

https://fee.org/articles/how-many-people...by-police/
Drop the numerator above by the number of justifiable homicides (roughly 400 per year) and your percentage of (unjustified) shootings above is even lower.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36826297
Now compare all of that to the number of officers killed per year.

So, what's the freaking problem here? Where's all this "injustice"?
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 08:39 AM by Hood-rich.)
09-27-2017 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
RE: What are they protesting? Where's the "injustice"?
I'll give you one example. Cleveland cops roll up on a kid with a toy gun in a park, The cop gets out and just kills the kid by shooting him in like 10 seconds. If the kid was white or in a better neighborhood, would he have been shot? I doubt it. I'm sure you don't. But can't you see that blacks might actually see it differently?
09-27-2017 08:54 AM
Hood-rich Offline

(09-27-2017 08:54 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  I'll give you one example. Cleveland cops roll up on a kid with a toy gun in a park, The cop gets out and just kills the kid by shooting him in like 10 seconds. If the kid was white or in a better neighborhood, would he have been shot? I doubt it. I'm sure you don't. But can't you see that blacks might actually see it differently?

I gave you numbers. You respond with this BS. I don't care how they "see it differently". The way they feel about this issue doesn't align with reality. The media hypes it up as if it's an open season on minorities. That's what is driving up all these feelings.
09-27-2017 08:58 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(09-27-2017 08:54 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  I'll give you one example. Cleveland cops roll up on a kid with a toy gun in a park, The cop gets out and just kills the kid by shooting him in like 10 seconds. If the kid was white or in a better neighborhood, would he have been shot? I doubt it. I'm sure you don't. But can't you see that blacks might actually see it differently?

If we want to to play What-about and What-if games then there will be no solutions.

Because then I can say awful things like this: "There is no injustice to be made aware of via 1% NFL players because they go to Vegas night clubs, own fancy cars and make it rain at strip clubs on their off days. But raise that fist! Kneel! Lock arms! Just make sure your bank account is full, your kids are getting their checks, the Lambo has sweet new wheels, and your momma has that new house in the suburbs leaving all the "injustice" behind you. See how whites see this protest differently?"

See how unfair that is?
09-27-2017 09:00 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
It was a false narrative, that's why before this weekend, you had maybe 10 people kneeling.
09-27-2017 09:14 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
There is no injustice.

We just finished an abysmal 8 years with the first black president.

There are black CEO's running pharmaceutical companies, running large law firms, hospitals, etc.

Black kids have a better chance at getting a number of scholarships and gaining admission to virtually any college in the US than white kids do due to the color of their skin.

Black people have every single right that white people have protected and guaranteed under the Constitution. It wasn't always that way... but it is now.

Any problems that black people may be having with the police... I would take it up with the Democrats that have been in control of the major US cities for decades, overseeing this "injustice." Sure, the statistics prove that their argument is NONSENSE, but if you want to go down that road, let's look at places like Baltimore, St Louis, and Chicago. All hell-holes, riddled with black crime and violence, and controlled by Democrats for 50+ years. It seems that their beef should be with the liberal politicians that sanctioned this perceived injustice... not with the police who simply enforce the laws that blacks just can't seem to stop breaking.
09-27-2017 09:14 AM
Advertisement

DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(09-27-2017 09:14 AM)fsquid Wrote:  It was a false narrative, that's why before this weekend, you had maybe 10 people kneeling.

Those 10 people couldn't muster up a reason for their protest. Maybe Michael Bennett did, but he shredded whatever flimsy excuse he had to protest when he made false accusations of police brutality.
09-27-2017 09:16 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
09-27-2017 09:18 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(09-27-2017 09:14 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  There is no injustice.

We just finished an abysmal 8 years with the first black president.

There are black CEO's running pharmaceutical companies, running large law firms, hospitals, etc.

Black kids have a better chance at getting a number of scholarships and gaining admission to virtually any college in the US than white kids do due to the color of their skin.

Black people have every single right that white people have protected and guaranteed under the Constitution. It wasn't always that way... but it is now.

Any problems that black people may be having with the police... I would take it up with the Democrats that have been in control of the major US cities for decades, overseeing this "injustice." Sure, the statistics prove that their argument is NONSENSE, but if you want to go down that road, let's look at places like Baltimore, St Louis, and Chicago. All hell-holes, riddled with black crime and violence, and controlled by Democrats for 50+ years. It seems that their beef should be with the liberal politicians that sanctioned this perceived injustice... not with the police who simply enforce the laws that blacks just can't seem to stop breaking.

Lamest argument ever. About as good as "I'm not a racist because I have a black friend" or "I'm not homophobic because I have a gay friend," etc.
09-27-2017 09:31 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

wow....just one? you can do better than that....

do you realize that nobody can be perfect in any world??? you can thank the dippos for propagating the welfare class.....some would deem that as a "cost of doing business"

(somebody has an itchy trigger finger on the delete button)
09-27-2017 09:32 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(09-27-2017 09:16 AM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(09-27-2017 09:14 AM)fsquid Wrote:  It was a false narrative, that's why before this weekend, you had maybe 10 people kneeling.

Those 10 people couldn't muster up a reason for their protest. Maybe Michael Bennett did, but he shredded whatever flimsy excuse he had to protest when he made false accusations of police brutality.

Hence making Trump's comments even dumber.
09-27-2017 09:33 AM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(09-27-2017 08:58 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  

I gave you numbers. You respond with this BS. I don't care how they "see it differently". The way they feel about this issue doesn't align with reality. The media hypes it up as if it's an open season on minorities. That's what is driving up all these feelings.

The way trump portrayed the "feelings" in America as well as the issues with immigrants, etc. did not align with reality either, but that didn't stop him or you guys from ignoring that reality and voting for him.

So...
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 09:35 AM by Redwingtom.)
09-27-2017 09:34 AM
stinkfist Online

(09-27-2017 09:34 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

The way trump portrayed the "feelings" in America as well as the issues with immigrants, etc. did not align with reality either, but that didn't stop him or you guys from ignoring that reality and voting for him.

So...

but it's our right to vote for whomever....

so.....next
09-27-2017 09:36 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I believe it was more than 10, but anyway the protests this past weekend were more to trumps ignorant SOB comments than anything else.
09-27-2017 09:36 AM
stinkfist Online

(09-27-2017 09:36 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

I believe it was more than 10, but anyway the protests this past weekend were more to trumps ignorant SOB comments than anything else.

which most would agree was inappropriate....

however, since the msm blew it up out of context, it 'blued up'

who'd a thunk the msm would do such????
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 09:39 AM by stinkfist.)
09-27-2017 09:38 AM
Topkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheCats
(09-27-2017 08:38 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  Does anybody have an answer with statistics, studies, etc that back their opinions?

When you dig into the raw FBI data and number of police brutality incidents you will realize that the narratives don't align with reality.

https://californiainnocenceproject.org/i...isconduct/

Police misconduct statistics gathered by the Cato Institute’s National Police Misconduct Reporting Project confirm that around 1% of all police officers commit misconduct in a given year and that the consequences of such misconduct are grim.

Based on the spreadsheet and linked here...

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/ezaucr/as...isplay.asp

There are about 11 to 12 million arrests per year. Common sense tells you that there are MANY more police interactions with individuals on any given year. For intents of this post I'm just going to use the number of arrests as my denominator.

http://time.com/4843156/police-fatal-sho...tics-2017/
For 2 years running there were over 1,000 fatal shootings by officers. We're on track to hit that number for a 3rd year in a row.

1,000 shootings / 12,000,000 arrests = 0.01% arrests lead to a fatal shooting.
Again... consider the number of interactions with officers is MUCH higher than the number of arrests.

https://fee.org/articles/how-many-people...by-police/
Drop the numerator above by the number of justifiable homicides (roughly 400 per year) and your percentage of (unjustified) shootings above is even lower.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36826297
Now compare all of that to the number of officers killed per year.

So, what's the freaking problem here? Where's all this "injustice"?

Sadly, these are people still playing the Ferguson narrative... even after the facts were ferreted out.
09-27-2017 09:38 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

And the cops had no idea it was a toy gun. You need to get out of your bubble.

unarmed white man killed by police

Police Shoot Unarmed White Man Over 50 Times

State trooper shoots and kills an unarmed deaf man

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 09:50 AM by SuperFlyBCat.)
09-27-2017 09:49 AM
Hood-rich Offline

(09-27-2017 09:34 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

So...

More bull:****:. You suck at this. Here are the facts since you again can't provide them.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/206681/worry...teady.aspx

Quote:Fifty-nine percent of Americans say they worry "a great deal" or "a fair amount" about illegal immigration. This level of concern is typical of what Gallup has measured over the past 17 years, apart from a window between 2006 and 2011 when roughly two-thirds of Americans expressed worry.

[Image: poll3.png]
09-27-2017 09:53 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
As long as you keep ignoring the problem, these protests are going to continue.

Until we as a nation listen to the concerns of the protesters and come to a reasonable compromise or some sort of reform, nothing is going to change.

Slavery was accepted until abolitionists began protesting.

Separate but equal was acceptable until people started protesting.

As long as racial profiling is acceptable, people will continue to protest.

Learn your history people.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 09:57 AM by Fitbud.)
09-27-2017 09:55 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(09-27-2017 09:55 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  As long as you keep ignoring the problem, these protests are going to continue.

Until we as a nation listen to the concerns of the protesters and come to a reasonable compromise or some sort of reform, nothing is going to change.

That's the problem with liberal politics and these protesters. It is not about unity, and there is no amount of ground that conservatives could ever give that would satisfy the left. They will just continue to create false injustices and keep pushing and keep pushing. They cease to have a purpose if they can't protest and peddle false injustices.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 10:00 AM by ECUGrad07.)
09-27-2017 09:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.