Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What's the Steelers problem?
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Seems like it might just be the coach.

Roethlisberger makes statement about "unified" team.

Ben Roethlisberger Regrets Steelers Boycotting Anthem; Trump Supports Fan Boos

Quote:Ben Roethlisberger on Monday afternoon released a statement saying he regretted his Pittsburgh Steelers boycotting the national anthem on Sunday.
09-25-2017 04:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
RE: What's the Steelers problem?
but their coach said that it was a 100% team decision...
09-25-2017 04:54 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Quote:Ben Roethlisberger on Monday afternoon released a statement saying he regretted his Pittsburgh Steelers boycotting the national anthem on Sunday.

He was for the boycott before he was against it. 03-lmfao

[Image: John-Kerry-010.jpg?w=300&q=55&am...2d1431c659]

You made your bed, Ben. Now lay in it.
09-25-2017 05:05 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I don't believe the Steelers were making a political statement by sitting out the national anthem. I believe Tomlin tried to apply the "wisdom of Solomon" and thus have the Steelers not come down on the side of supporting the national anthem or the side of Colin Kaepernik. After his players were split on how to respond to the tweets by Trump, the tried to take them out of the situation. Unfortunately, it backfired.

Best answer was to have 100% of the team out for the national anthem all standing and showing respect. I believe a large portion of the NFL fanbase - if not a majority of them - are patriotic by nature. NASCAR was smart and nixed it before it could even germinate and grow. Too bad the NFL was too stupid to know who their fans are and what they stand for.
09-25-2017 05:07 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(09-25-2017 05:07 PM)miko33 Wrote:  I don't believe the Steelers were making a political statement by sitting out the national anthem. I believe Tomlin tried to apply the "wisdom of Solomon" and thus have the Steelers not come down on the side of supporting the national anthem or the side of Colin Kaepernik. After his players were split on how to respond to the tweets by Trump, the tried to take them out of the situation. Unfortunately, it backfired.

Best answer was to have 100% of the team out for the national anthem all standing and showing respect. I believe a large portion of the NFL fanbase - if not a majority of them - are patriotic by nature. NASCAR was smart and nixed it before it could even germinate and grow. Too bad the NFL was too stupid to know who their fans are and what they stand for.

I get what you're saying; however, Solomon offered a solution that forced the right decision in the end.

What really happened, though, is a decision that favored one side of the issue. He wanted a unified face but one guy had the guts to stand for what was right. Then Tomlin essentially called him out on it.

Now we see that it wasn't such a unified decision after all.
09-25-2017 05:13 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(09-25-2017 05:07 PM)miko33 Wrote:  NASCAR was smart and nixed it before it could even germinate and grow.

Considering the fan base I don't think this decision from NASCAR took a lot of smarts per se, but it was a masterful PR move.
09-25-2017 05:17 PM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
B****burgh Kneelers
09-25-2017 06:22 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-25-2017 05:07 PM)miko33 Wrote:  I don't believe the Steelers were making a political statement by sitting out the national anthem.
The Steelers may not have wanted or intended to make a political statement. They may have sincerely believed they were not doing so. But they were, all the same.

Quote:I believe Tomlin tried to apply the "wisdom of Solomon" and thus have the Steelers not come down on the side of supporting the national anthem or the side of Colin Kaepernik.
If Tomlin genuinely believed those two "sides" are equivalent, or equally worthy of respect, then that really does explain a lot about him and the NFL.

Quote:After his players were split on how to respond to the tweets by Trump, the tried to take them out of the situation. Unfortunately, it backfired.
The only way to take the Steelers "out of the situation" would've been to cancel the game. Anything else involved being IN the situation. Anything else involved taking a side. And the Steelers did take a side.

Quote:Best answer was to have 100% of the team out for the national anthem all standing and showing respect.
Best answer, and the only good answer. The only answer that allows (or would've allowed) the Steelers to avoid politicizing the situation. Too late now.
09-25-2017 06:46 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
https://youtu.be/xbf_NtYoE1c

Tomlins an ahole
09-25-2017 06:51 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
The NFL has let this get out of control, now they lose on every option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-25-2017 11:43 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(09-25-2017 05:17 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(09-25-2017 05:07 PM)miko33 Wrote:  NASCAR was smart and nixed it before it could even germinate and grow.

Considering the fan base I don't think this decision from NASCAR took a lot of smarts per se, but it was a masterful PR move.

Yeah that was silly. NASCAR has like the most conservative fan base on planet earth. Fans there might actually attack someone who knelt during the anthem. They just wanted to get a mention nationally, so they made a PR move, knowing that there is no way in hell any other sport could make a similar move.

NHL could make a statement, but has a wildly different fan base than any of the other sports do, and frankly they probably won't have any protests to deal with as it is unless its someone that literally is doing it just to piss Trump off.
09-26-2017 01:22 AM
Advertisement

HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
Brady's statement was limp. Divisive? Where have you been hiding big guy? Like kneeling during the anthem isn't divisive but calling them SOBs is? Not really a big Trump fan but he scored on this one.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2017 03:31 AM by HCJag.)
09-26-2017 03:31 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Sadly, I had a longtime friend who passed away earlier this year. Zack was a lifelong Steelers fan. While in the hospital, I told Him if He gets better, I would take both Him and His fiancee to a Steelers game. That inspired Him but 2 weeks later He passed away. Myself a lifelong Dolphin fan that also enjoyed the Steelers went out and bought a Steelers shirt and hat that I would proudly wear when watching NFL games this year to honor His memory. Sadly, I know He would tell Me "Hell No" after this Weekend. I won't be wearing any NFL logo items this year .
09-26-2017 10:20 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(09-26-2017 01:22 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Yeah that was silly. NASCAR has like the most conservative fan base on planet earth. Fans there might actually attack someone who knelt during the anthem. They just wanted to get a mention nationally, so they made a PR move, knowing that there is no way in hell any other sport could make a similar move.

NHL could make a statement, but has a wildly different fan base than any of the other sports do, and frankly they probably won't have any protests to deal with as it is unless its someone that literally is doing it just to piss Trump off.

NASCAR supposedly only has one black driver.
09-26-2017 10:21 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

(09-26-2017 10:21 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

True, but honestly most Blacks never grew up likeing fast cars and racing in general. Blacks have mostly leaned towards the Luxury aspect of car culture. Big classy rides vs small car, big engines many others grew up with. But there is no one stopping any Blacks from learning high speed driving skills. NASCAR has been extending offers for years but there are only 43 slots open each weekend.
09-26-2017 10:31 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(09-26-2017 10:31 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  
(09-26-2017 10:21 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

True, but honestly most Blacks never grew up likeing fast cars and racing in general. Blacks have mostly leaned towards the Luxury aspect of car culture. Big classy rides vs small car, big engines many others grew up with. But there is no one stopping any Blacks from learning high speed driving skills. NASCAR has been extending offers for years but there are only 43 slots open each weekend.

I don't disagree with this I'm simply pointing out that NASCAR wasn't really taking a risk when they said what they said because NASCAR is 99.9% White.
09-26-2017 10:44 AM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-26-2017 10:31 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  
(09-26-2017 10:21 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  NASCAR supposedly only has one black driver.

But there is no one stopping any Blacks from learning high speed driving skills. NASCAR has been extending offers for years but there are only 43 slots open each weekend.

He would be referring to Darrell Wallace, Jr. (who is/was pretty damn good on the truck side.. he isn't afraid to mix it up when he had to, but he was GREAT at avoiding a lot of incidents and I liked him a lot watching him on Saturdays.).

Marc Davis was signed by Gibbs Racing for the Nationwide series (2010-2011ish?), but didn't do too well in his efforts.

Tia Norfleet was a black female driver, but she actually lied about qualifying for racing in NASCAR, so you can't really put her on the list.

There's two NASCAR teams that were (not sure if it's even still in existence) owned by a black American in recent years (Sam Belvanis as recently as 2011, but I think they shut down a couple of years later?),. and Diversity Motorsports - which I think is still an active team... run by Terry.. terrance something?)

So the opportunities are there, but you do have to remember, that the NASCAR audience is only about 2% of the black community overall (I want to say that state came from Fortune 500).
09-26-2017 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-26-2017 10:44 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  NASCAR wasn't really taking a risk when they said what they said because NASCAR is 99.9% White.
I've never really been into racing of any type, and I don't know what the current status is. But from about 1995-2000 I attended four separate NASCAR events, through invitations from friends/business acquaintances etc. Once each at Talladega and Daytona, and twice at "Atlanta" (30 miles out of town). First time I went, I fully expected to see a crowd that was "99.9% White", in Fitbud's phrase. A sports-version of a Republican National Convention, if you will. Reality check: Not even close. I wasn't taking a census, but the # of black spectators was easily in the thousands. A lot of them wearing elaborate NASCAR gear. Huge groups of AA-tailgaters. It was the same story at each race I attended.
09-26-2017 07:19 PM
Gator Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Florida/Memphis
(09-26-2017 10:20 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Sadly, I had a longtime friend who passed away earlier this year. Zack was a lifelong Steelers fan. While in the hospital, I told Him if He gets better, I would take both Him and His fiancee to a Steelers game. That inspired Him but 2 weeks later He passed away. Myself a lifelong Dolphin fan that also enjoyed the Steelers went out and bought a Steelers shirt and hat that I would proudly wear when watching NFL games this year to honor His memory. Sadly, I know He would tell Me "Hell No" after this Weekend. I won't be wearing any NFL logo items this year .

Thats rough man. Sorry about your friend.
09-26-2017 07:35 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

(09-26-2017 07:35 PM)Gator Wrote:  
(09-26-2017 10:20 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Sadly, I had a longtime friend who passed away earlier this year. Zack was a lifelong Steelers fan. While in the hospital, I told Him if He gets better, I would take both Him and His fiancee to a Steelers game. That inspired Him but 2 weeks later He passed away. Myself a lifelong Dolphin fan that also enjoyed the Steelers went out and bought a Steelers shirt and hat that I would proudly wear when watching NFL games this year to honor His memory. Sadly, I know He would tell Me "Hell No" after this Weekend. I won't be wearing any NFL logo items this year .

Thats rough man. Sorry about your friend.

Thanks, Zack was a great Guy and will be missed !
09-26-2017 10:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.