Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A humble request to ESPN, FOX, ABC, CBS, and NBC
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
A humble request to ESPN, FOX, ABC, CBS, and NBC
Please ..... no more having a special rules official come in for every replay. STOP IT. They're all Captain Obvious. They do not have visual powers we do not. We know the rules. JUST STOP.
09-22-2017 11:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: A humble request to ESPN, FOX, ABC, CBS, and NBC
(09-22-2017 11:56 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Please ..... no more having a special rules official come in for every replay. STOP IT. They're all Captain Obvious. They do not have visual powers we do not. We know the rules. JUST STOP.

Well how about just one special rule then? Talk about the damned game and not what the announcers had to eat, another game, especially another game in a different sport, or about teams not being pictured on the field, and if an announcer calls one of the only two teams on the field in front of him by the wrong name or wrong nickname then please can him on the spot for the satisfaction of the fans he offended who just happened to tune in to see that team.

Edit: Quality standards in the United States have hit rock bottom!
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017 12:03 AM by JRsec.)
09-23-2017 12:02 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Ugh, Fox just went to the so-called expert again.

And yes, the so-called expert's opinion has nothing to add beyond what any fan can see on the replays.
09-23-2017 01:00 AM
Advertisement

Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
The "retired official" gimmick is a bit annoying.
09-23-2017 01:01 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Here's a thought: how about saving the expert opinion for calls requiring an expert!
09-23-2017 07:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
They should use a real expert

[Image: ByvadEWIYAARvA9.jpg]
09-23-2017 07:23 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-23-2017 01:00 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Ugh, Fox just went to the so-called expert again.

And yes, the so-called expert's opinion has nothing to add beyond what any fan can see on the replays.

I disagree. Sometimes, the replay ruling depends less on our ability to see what happened and more on details about what the rule is, something an 'expert' might know. NFL "tuck rule" rulings, back when they had the tuck rule, were like that. We could all see the ball coming out of the QB's hand on a replay, what we didn't always know was the arcane distinctions in the rule about what our eyes showed us meant.

That is often the case with targeting calls now. And so an expert who knows the details of the rules can help.

Like last night, I was watching Utah-Arizona on FS1, and there was a targeting call where a pass rusher hit the QB with the side of his helmet under the chin. We could all see plain as day "what happened", but I really didn't know whether that qualified as 'targeting' until the expert explained it.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017 07:42 AM by quo vadis.)
09-23-2017 07:37 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(09-23-2017 07:16 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Here's a thought: how about saving the expert opinion for calls requiring an expert!

How about having the announcers review the film of the play from the various angles once and then talk about the game until the officials determine the call. Some of these numb nuts in the booth state things that aren't in the rules, or they misinterpret the rules, and they just add to the confusion and subsequent public bellyaching over the calls, and do so needlessly. If we have officials making the call and an official reviewing it, then we don't need a retired guy, or the talking heads chiming in at all.
09-23-2017 12:58 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(09-23-2017 07:37 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-23-2017 01:00 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Ugh, Fox just went to the so-called expert again.

I disagree. Sometimes, the replay ruling depends less on our ability to see what happened and more on details about what the rule is, something an 'expert' might know. NFL "tuck rule" rulings, back when they had the tuck rule, were like that. We could all see the ball coming out of the QB's hand on a replay, what we didn't always know was the arcane distinctions in the rule about what our eyes showed us meant.

That is often the case with targeting calls now. And so an expert who knows the details of the rules can help.

Like last night, I was watching Utah-Arizona on FS1, and there was a targeting call where a pass rusher hit the QB with the side of his helmet under the chin. We could all see plain as day "what happened", but I really didn't know whether that qualified as 'targeting' until the expert explained it.

There were numerous blown calls in the Arizona game and rehashing them ad nauseam doesn't add a danged thing to the game and doesn't change a thing. It just ticks off the offended fan base.

We talk about improving the time on these games? They can take their commercial breaks there instead of 5 to 7 minutes after each change of possession, and when we get back from the bathroom or kitchen and they finally return from their commercials then they can explain it to us in 15 seconds.

Right now replay only adds to the time of the game because the commercial breaks are still coming with the change of possession. We have enough replays per game to utilize that dead time pleasing the sponsors.
09-23-2017 01:04 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(09-23-2017 12:58 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(09-23-2017 07:16 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Here's a thought: how about saving the expert opinion for calls requiring an expert!

How about having the announcers review the film of the play from the various angles once and then talk about the game until the officials determine the call. Some of these numb nuts in the booth state things that aren't in the rules, or they misinterpret the rules, and they just add to the confusion and subsequent public bellyaching over the calls, and do so needlessly. If we have officials making the call and an official reviewing it, then we don't need a retired guy, or the talking heads chiming in at all.

That works for the 99.9% of calls which DON'T require an expert.
09-23-2017 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(09-23-2017 01:15 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(09-23-2017 12:58 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

That works for the 99.9% of calls which DON'T require an expert.

Right, usually the "expert" treats us to pearls of wisdom like, "If the ball crossed the plane of the goal line before the runner's knee was down, it's a touchdown."

JR is also correct that the TV producer should cut to commercials as soon as he learns that the play is being reviewed by the replay officials.
09-23-2017 10:38 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(09-22-2017 11:56 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Please ..... no more having a special rules official come in for every replay. STOP IT. They're all Captain Obvious. They do not have visual powers we do not. We know the rules. JUST STOP.

I find them entertaining especially since they do not understand the special corollary rules for G5's at P5's, the obvious rulings rarely turn out as they expect.
09-24-2017 01:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.