Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Brett McMurphy posted in twitter and fb that we are not a power 6
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
I personally love this. We want to be in a constant debate and just separate ourselves from the g4.
09-21-2017 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Brett McMurphy posted in twitter and fb that we are not a power 6
Another twitter twat.
09-21-2017 08:45 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
[Image: paLR1Md.jpg]

Are we on ridicule or fight? Either way, we're out of the ignoring stage.
09-21-2017 08:47 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Bottom line is that McMurphy can do his tweeting, Aresco can do his vocalizing, and we can all offer our opinions. But until the AAC (a) has a guaranteed spot for its champ in an NY6 bowl, and (b) a media deal that pays at least $20m per school per year, we are © not in the "Power" group.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 01:26 PM by quo vadis.)
09-21-2017 08:47 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(09-21-2017 08:47 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Bottom line is that McMurphy can do his tweeting, Aresco can do his vocalizing, and we can all offer our opinions. But until the AAC (a) has a guaranteed spot for its champ in an NY6 bowl, and (b) a media deal that pays at least $20m per school per year, we are not in the "Power" group.

Maybe not but the next TV contract should make the AAC at least a "tweener" at $8M-10M for broadcast rights. And that is a very positive step in the right direction. It will provide separation from the G4 & greatly improve the AAC recognition as a conference.
09-21-2017 08:52 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
It's called branding. Perhaps next he will argue that there is no such thing as UCONN. There's only a University of Connecticut.
09-21-2017 08:54 AM
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
As Knight said, we are being talked about.
09-21-2017 08:56 AM
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
Free publicity
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
Oscar Wilde
09-21-2017 09:10 AM
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
The AAC is playing chess while McMurphy and others like him are debating the rules of checkers

The point is that AAC superiority over the G4 is implicit in any discussion of the P6. It means the Access Bowl is ours to lose. It means we're expecting our TV and Bowl contracts to improve over time while the G4s are getting worse.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 09:15 AM by MechaKnight.)
09-21-2017 09:13 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

Watch as many AAC games as possible and even run the watchESPN app for more AAC ratings.
09-21-2017 09:13 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Since he put this on his Facebook page and it's open to all, here is the entire story.

Give me three minutes for this week's edition of McMurphy's Law:

I will cut to the chase: the American Athletic Conference is not a power conference. Despite an aggressive Power 6 marketing campaign, #AmericanPow6r hashtags and “P6” plastered on its first-down markers, the American will never be a power league.

I’m not anti-American, I’m a realist. And I don’t hate the AAC or the Group of 5 conferences. I respect Commissioner Mike Aresco a great deal. The league has some of the nation’s best coaches and players. But the AAC a power conference? Nope. There’s a better chance of Notre Dame giving up its football independence today to join the AAC.

I know about the league’s on-field success. Last week, Memphis upset UCLA and USF dominated Illinois. In fact, since 2015, the AAC has played 52 contests against Power 5 leagues. They were the underdog in 42 of those games, but still managed a respectable 21-31 record vs. the Power 5.

The American has proven it can beat anybody – and lose to anybody – as evidenced by its recent 1-8 bowl record vs. other Group of 5 schools. The harsh reality for the AAC – along with Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt – is it is not a power league. Just because you can (occasionally) beat ‘em, you can’t join ‘em.

The on-field results have no impact on what schools have the power. Some deserve to be in a power conference while others may not but were fortunate to wake up with a winning lottery ticket under their pillow (good morning, Rutgers). Yet, there is a clear separation between the Power 5 conferences and the Group of 5. How’s that old junior high school cheer go? “Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rind! Look at the scoreboard, see who’s behind!”

Check out this scoreboard tally: the revenue from last year’s College Football Playoff.

Big Ten $141 million; $10 million per school
Pac-12 $105 million; $8.75 million per school
SEC $105 million; $7.5 million per school
Big 12 $97 million; $9.7 million per school
ACC $92 million; $6.6 million per school

MAC $19.1 million; $1.89 million per school
Sun Belt $16.7 million; $1.5 million per school
AAC $16.7 million; $1.39 million per school
MWC $16.7 million; $1.39 million per school
C-USA $16.7 million; $1.28 million per school

And this financial disparity - voted on and approved by all 10 conferences - will continue exactly like above for at least the next nine years – the remainder of the CFB Playoff contract.

The TV revenue is just as lopsided. In 2013, the American signed a seven-year media rights deal with ESPN. Add in its basketball contract and the league averages about $20 million per year. The American's entire annual TV package is $11 million less than what every Big Ten "school" will earn.

Before the season Aresco said they “want to be accepted eventually as an autonomy Power 6 conference because we believe we are already a Power 6 conference.” Believing you’re a power conference doesn’t make you a power conference. It’s the same as boasting about your top-four finish at the Olympics. Congrats, but only the top three received medals.

Whether you are college football’s sixth-best or 10th-best conference, it doesn’t matter. It's the same. You are not in the Power 5.

Not too long ago there were six automatic qualifying conferences, but then the Big East was gutted and only five power leagues remained. Maybe in the future, a Power 5 league is raided and we are left with only a Fab Four. Who knows? But there will never again be six power leagues. The Power 5 conferences have made certain of that, having already blocked the Group of 5’s access to the Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls.

Unfortunately for the Group of 5 leagues, a slight twist on a Ricky Bobby quote sums up their fate: “If you ain’t a Power 5, you’re last.”

XX

So what is the Group of 5’s options? Check back with me next week for one radical possibility.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBrettMcMurph...4078236316
09-21-2017 09:14 AM
Advertisement

Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF, UofH, AAC!
From his article:

"In fact, since 2015, the AAC has played 52 contests against Power 5 leagues. They were the underdog in 42 of those games, but still managed a respectable 21-31 record vs. the Power 5."

He then essentially agrees that the AAC is clearly on par 'on the field', then launches into the TV$$$ argument to make the point that the AAC is G5.

As I have said many times... the definition of a 'Power' conference depends on your metric. I still believe that the MAJORITY of fans would agree it's on the field performance... not TV$$. Folks watch games and track wins and losses... Other than some media and message board wonks, no one is tracking TV$$. 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 09:16 AM by Bull.)
09-21-2017 09:16 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
McMurphy is not p6 either so...there is that. Didn't ESPN shitcan him
09-21-2017 09:19 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(09-21-2017 09:16 AM)Bull Wrote:  From his article:

"In fact, since 2015, the AAC has played 52 contests against Power 5 leagues. They were the underdog in 42 of those games, but still managed a respectable 21-31 record vs. the Power 5."

He then essentially agrees that the AAC is clearly on par 'on the field', then launches into the TV$$$ argument to make the point that the AAC is G5.

As I have said many times... the definition of a 'Power' conference depends on your metric. I still believe that the MAJORITY of fans would agree it's on the field performance... not TV$$. Folks watch games and track wins and losses... Other than some media and message board wonks, no one is tracking TV$$. 04-rock

If the AAC beats every remaining "P5" team on their schedule this year and next year and into the future, yet does not get "Power" status and each team is still getting peanuts $ compared to "P5", then what good is it? The money most certainly matters as well as the bowl game access.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 09:29 AM by bearcatfan.)
09-21-2017 09:19 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(09-21-2017 08:47 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Bottom line is that McMurphy can do his tweeting, Aresco can do his vocalizing, and we can all offer our opinions. But until the AAC (a) has a guaranteed spot for its champ in an NY6 bowl, and (b) a media deal that pays at least $20m per school per year, we are not in the "Power" group.

...and gets an equal "autonomy vote"
09-21-2017 09:23 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

You don't get there by being quiet and accepting the seat in the back of the bus. You get there by vocalizing your wins, etc. The AAC has proven it on the field, and now we can hold the banner high.

Keep Winning!
09-21-2017 09:25 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-21-2017 09:19 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  If the AAC beats every remaining "P5" team on their schedule this year and next year and into the future, , yet does not get "Power" status and each team is still getting peanuts $ compared to "P5", then what good is it? The money most certainly matters as well as the bowl game access.

1) Fans aren't getting money
2) win against bigger names to fill the stadium, then better recruits, then more money, etc. Hard to say we aren't power if we are constantly beating them. If it is just money, have Harvard go D-1.
3) We just need to draw ratings and have big crowds. If power means only football tv contract, then we need ratings.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 09:34 AM by KNIGHTTIME.)
09-21-2017 09:33 AM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
(09-21-2017 09:14 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Since he put this on his Facebook page and it's open to all, here is the entire story.

I will cut to the chase: the American Athletic Conference is not a power conference. Despite an aggressive Power 6 marketing campaign, #AmericanPow6r hashtags and “P6” plastered on its first-down markers, the American will never be a power league.

I’m not anti-American, I’m a realist. And I don’t hate the AAC or the Group of 5 conferences. I respect Commissioner Mike Aresco a great deal. The league has some of the nation’s best coaches and players. But the AAC a power conference? Nope. There’s a better chance of Notre Dame giving up its football independence today to join the AAC.

I know about the league’s on-field success. Last week, Memphis upset UCLA and USF dominated Illinois. In fact, since 2015, the AAC has played 52 contests against Power 5 leagues. They were the underdog in 42 of those games, but still managed a respectable 21-31 record vs. the Power 5.

The American has proven it can beat anybody – and lose to anybody – as evidenced by its recent 1-8 bowl record vs. other Group of 5 schools. The harsh reality for the AAC – along with Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt – is it is not a power league. Just because you can (occasionally) beat ‘em, you can’t join ‘em.

The on-field results have no impact on what schools have the power. Some deserve to be in a power conference while others may not but were fortunate to wake up with a winning lottery ticket under their pillow (good morning, Rutgers). Yet, there is a clear separation between the Power 5 conferences and the Group of 5. How’s that old junior high school cheer go? “Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rind! Look at the scoreboard, see who’s behind!”

Check out this scoreboard tally: the revenue from last year’s College Football Playoff.

And this financial disparity - voted on and approved by all 10 conferences - will continue exactly like above for at least the next nine years – the remainder of the CFB Playoff contract.

The TV revenue is just as lopsided. In 2013, the American signed a seven-year media rights deal with ESPN. Add in its basketball contract and the league averages about $20 million per year. The American's entire annual TV package is $11 million less than what every Big Ten "school" will earn.

Before the season Aresco said they “want to be accepted eventually as an autonomy Power 6 conference because we believe we are already a Power 6 conference.” Believing you’re a power conference doesn’t make you a power conference. It’s the same as boasting about your top-four finish at the Olympics. Congrats, but only the top three received medals.

Whether you are college football’s sixth-best or 10th-best conference, it doesn’t matter. It's the same. You are not in the Power 5.

Not too long ago there were six automatic qualifying conferences, but then the Big East was gutted and only five power leagues remained. Maybe in the future, a Power 5 league is raided and we are left with only a Fab Four. Who knows? But there will never again be six power leagues. The Power 5 conferences have made certain of that, having already blocked the Group of 5’s access to the Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls.

Unfortunately for the Group of 5 leagues, a slight twist on a Ricky Bobby quote sums up their fate: “If you ain’t a Power 5, you’re last.”

XX

So what is the Group of 5’s options? Check back with me next week for one radical possibility.

I agree with this completely. If they aren't using on the field performance to judge what a power conference is then there is really nothing the aac can do. He even says on the field performance doesn't really matter when he mentions rutgers.

The point is even if we get a better tv it will still be a drop in the bucket and at the end of the day we will still be g5. We will just be the best g5 conference out there.
09-21-2017 09:34 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa

The bottom line is the man is on facebook and twitter for a reason. If anyone gave his opinion any weight he wouldn't be using social media as an outlet. He would be on tv or writing articles. He wrote this to get attention.
09-21-2017 09:42 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(09-21-2017 09:34 AM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(09-21-2017 09:14 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Since he put this on his Facebook page and it's open to all, here is the entire story.

XX

I agree with this completely. If they aren't using on the field performance to judge what a power conference is then there is really nothing the aac can do. He even says on the field performance doesn't really matter when he mentions rutgers.

The point is even if we get a better tv it will still be a drop in the bucket and at the end of the day we will still be g5. We will just be the best g5 conference out there.

Its hard to be ignored when you're kicking someone's teeth in. If we're beating them and winning access bowls people can talk about it all they want, reality will be proving otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 09:46 AM by TU4ever.)
09-21-2017 09:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.