UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scarbinsky: UAB football's new normal: A healthy crowd and a 60-minute victory.
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation Scarbinsky: UAB football's new normal: A healthy crowd and a 60-minute victory.
09-16-2017 05:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motley Blazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB Blazers
RE: Scarbinsky: UAB football's new normal: A healthy crowd and a 60-minute victory.
(09-16-2017 05:31 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  http://www.a.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/0...=hootsuite

03-nutkick Get em Scarbo...
09-16-2017 05:39 PM
stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
RE: Scarbinsky: UAB football's new normal: A healthy crowd and a 60-minute victory.
Appreciate this coverage
09-16-2017 05:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BirminghamJoseph2770 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Birmingham
Well, Thank you guys. Good game played. From the perspective of the Green, it was a good day and great day from a team like them sure they expected more but hey, expected more last Saturday. Call it even great fully. Know we play the green wave on the road who just went to Iowa and put up and Did not shut up and know their back home. But from all stand puts we look good for one more day. Go Green. If you don't like it vote on my rep. The truth is real.
09-16-2017 06:18 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

[Image: DJ4fjUUUEAAa9Th.jpg]
09-16-2017 06:35 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-16-2017 06:18 PM)BirminghamJoseph2770 Wrote:  Well, Thank you guys.

Wait, is BirminghamJoseph really Scarbinski?

That makes a lot of sense

By the way, we are not playing the Green Wave next week.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 06:40 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
09-16-2017 06:40 PM
Advertisement

JeffUAB Offline
Special Teams

(09-16-2017 06:40 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(09-16-2017 06:18 PM)BirminghamJoseph2770 Wrote:  Well, Thank you guys.

Wait, is BirminghamJoseph really Scarbinski?

That makes a lot of sense

By the way, we are not playing the Green Wave next week.

My theory is that it is an early 2000's AIM chat bot that gained a small measure of sentience and decided to haunt Blazer Talk's servers.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 06:54 PM by JeffUAB.)
09-16-2017 06:52 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Scarbo nailed this one.
09-16-2017 07:10 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
And even taunted the trolls.

We do need to keep an eye on comment sections, esp. Scarbinky and Archibald pieces. Spotting the DirectComm troll farms back at work will likely be an early sign if the Board attacks again. They won't be paying even those **** wages just to insult us.
09-16-2017 07:59 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

Scarbo has usually been relatively friendly to UAB. But I have noticed a change in the tone of the Birmingham media towards UAB football. I think they recognize that while they weren't the primary reason for UAB's lack of success in the past that they did not play nearly the positive role that they could have.

With respect to the crowd, I think 25,000 is fantastic. We would have been glad to have that against an interesting opponent in the past. The fact we can get that against probably the least appealing name on our schedule is solid. Hopefully we can build from there with some interesting games against La Tech and MTSU coming up.
09-16-2017 08:40 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
That was a good positive article. It wasn't the prettiest win ever, but it was a win on a number of levels.
09-16-2017 08:42 PM
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(09-16-2017 08:40 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  Scarbo has usually been relatively friendly to UAB. But I have noticed a change in the tone of the Birmingham media towards UAB football. I think they recognize that while they weren't the primary reason for UAB's lack of success in the past that they did not play nearly the positive role that they could have.

With respect to the crowd, I think 25,000 is fantastic. We would have been glad to have that against an interesting opponent in the past. The fact we can get that against probably the least appealing name on our schedule is solid. Hopefully we can build from there with some interesting games against La Tech and MTSU coming up.

I agree. Local media is completely different than it was 5-10 years ago. Even guys that gave us a hard time in the past like Karle, Dunaway, the opening drive guys, etc. I think Clark being so well-liked and highly thought of helps.
09-16-2017 09:27 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(09-16-2017 09:27 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  
(09-16-2017 08:40 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  Scarbo has usually been relatively friendly to UAB. But I have noticed a change in the tone of the Birmingham media towards UAB football. I think they recognize that while they weren't the primary reason for UAB's lack of success in the past that they did not play nearly the positive role that they could have.

I agree. Local media is completely different than it was 5-10 years ago. Even guys that gave us a hard time in the past like Karle, Dunaway, the opening drive guys, etc. I think Clark being so well-liked and highly thought of helps.

That didn't happen accidentally. We mounted a strong operation to seize control of the narrative. A few things helped, some due to luck, some not: a) a key firing at al-dot-com before this all began; b) ham-handed and stupid direction of the media operation on the Watzi side; c) passionate and articulate work by hundreds of us on social media and in comments sections.

It's easy to dismiss comments sections as "nobody reads them," because that's more or less true. But the journalists themselves do - at some places they're required to. That exposed that our side was composed of real, flesh-and-blood humans with thoughts and feelings, and that theirs pretty much came from troll farms provided with a list of six talking points. And that helped shape the narrative in our favor.

Every little thing mattered during our fight. Even if it didn't "do anything," it was another pebble in the avalanche. We even have secret footage of #FreeUAB mobilizing against Watts:

09-17-2017 08:27 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Dead spot on.

Also if you flag the trolls in the articles. (Especially cows) they will remove their comments after so many flags. ;-)
09-17-2017 09:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

They probably need to block certain accounts for good.
09-17-2017 09:17 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I didn't think about it until later in the evening, but the crowd that was there would not have been there in McGee's last year or even several games during Clark's first year.

The opponent, the time of day, the game being broadcast on tv, Ingram with his crowd prevention rule concerning kids tickets, etc. all would have led to a 12,000 attendance in years past.
09-17-2017 09:22 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
It was just about a decade ago that UAB football was reeling from the System BOT blocking the hire of Pat Sullivan and then Jimbo Fisher and then ordering the hire of Neil Callaway as FBHC. The only football facility was a renovation of the Bell Gym with no new facility of any kind on the horizon. The Bryant,Jr, Espy, Fine and "Fess" cabal was firmly in charge of UAB's internal affairs including the naming of Dr Ray Watts as president.

A lot has changed in that decade for UAB football, and nothing symbolizes that more than the resurrection of UAB football and the NEW Football Ops building and fields. Regardless of the W-L record for 2017, the most important thing is that UAB football is BACK and building as never before. All of this is so new that when I asked on another thread what we should build next for football, there was nothing in the "suggestion box" for the future.
09-17-2017 11:53 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

After the 3rd field (which is scheduled to be done) is finished, I'm not exactly sure what is needed next in football.

Are schools allowed to have dorms specifically for athletes again? I know that this was not allowed a few years back after some schools abused the opportunity.

I would think raises for the coaches would be next in line. Of course we will have to clang Ingram in the nuts with a shovel for him to work on this, but that might be next.
09-17-2017 01:25 PM
imjustafatkid Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama/UAB/UNA
(09-17-2017 09:22 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  The opponent, the time of day, the game being broadcast on tv, Ingram with his crowd prevention rule concerning kids tickets, etc. all would have led to a 12,000 attendance in years past.

If they keep playing songs like "running with the devil" and "highway to hell" with full lyrics, instead of just the music, then it will be hard to convince me that cost of attendance is why families choose not to attend. That turns me off way more than charging for my toddler does. However, when you couple that with charging for children, it does make it seem like a concentrated effort even though it obviously isn't.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 02:04 PM by imjustafatkid.)
09-17-2017 02:04 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2017 11:53 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  A lot has changed in that decade for UAB football, and nothing symbolizes that more than the resurrection of UAB football and the NEW Football Ops building and fields. Regardless of the W-L record for 2017, the most important thing is that UAB football is BACK and building as never before. All of this is so new that when I asked on another thread what we should build next for football, there was nothing in the "suggestion box" for the future.

Because the only other thing needed is a stadium, and some form of that is supposedly in progress at the BJCC. You seem to have something in mind, so why don't *you* tell us what should be built next for football instead of berating everyone for not having an idea?
09-17-2017 02:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.