Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UMKC task force could call for them dropping to D2
Bookmark and Share
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
UMKC task force could call for them dropping to D2
LINK

Quote:“The task force originally started as one of a few projects looking at various operations and budgets,” said Luppino. “Then it evolved from there. It really got going in earnest last spring. A lot of the heavy lifting was done last semester.”

The CIE Athletics Task Force addresses three primary questions. The first is whether UMKC should continue to have Intercollegiate Athletics and what level of subsidy for the department should come from general revenues.

The second is whether UMKC should drop to a lower division or continue as a NCAA Division I. If we should drop, then what is the best fit and why? And lastly, if the school decides to remain in Division I, should switching conferences be considered?

“We’ve looked at all kinds of data,” said Luppino. “Not only about UMKC, but about different schools and different options for athletics. We’ve been comparing different costs and benefits of different programs and divisions.”
09-15-2017 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rooinblue Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UMKC
RE: UMKC task force could call for them dropping to D2
And lastly, if the school decides to remain in Division I, should switching conferences be considered?

Prepping the folks at home for the change in conferences, which will reduce expenses.
09-15-2017 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

(09-15-2017 11:35 AM)rooinblue Wrote:  And lastly, if the school decides to remain in Division I, should switching conferences be considered?

Prepping the folks at home for the change in conferences, which will reduce expenses.

Summit has an opening for 10th member
09-15-2017 11:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rooinblue Offline
Water Engineer

Bingo!
09-15-2017 01:50 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(09-15-2017 01:50 PM)rooinblue Wrote:  Bingo!

So no matter what, UMKC is leaving.
09-15-2017 02:02 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
Yeah this isn't surprising. They have been having some serious budget problems for a while and have had budget cuts and layoffs.. They have never found success, not in the Summit and not in the WAC. D2 seems much more likely than D1.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 02:36 PM by Clarity.)
09-15-2017 02:10 PM
Advertisement

RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

The state of Missouri is not that interested in funding higher education like California is and were not for profit like GCU. Not necessarily opposed to it. Division 1 is rigged against the small guys anyway.
09-15-2017 03:39 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

What would UMKC leaving mean for Chicago State? They'd be alone as a major outlier with an expiring contract..... but that would leave the WAC at 7 members
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 04:08 PM by SeattleVandals.)
09-15-2017 04:07 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

Worth noting their contract with the WAC is up at the end of this season. This is almost certainly their last year in the WAC imo.
09-15-2017 04:08 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

(09-15-2017 04:07 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  What would UMKC leaving mean for Chicago State? They'd be alone as a major outlier with an expiring contract..... but that would leave the WAC at 7 members

Probably keep them in on a year to year contract until the WAC can find another immediate move. Chicago State has nowhere else to go so they will probably stay. Definitely not ideal.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 04:12 PM by Clarity.)
09-15-2017 04:09 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Think UMKC is angling for a MVC or Horizon bid. They have shown in the past they don't want any part of the Summit.

UMKC has seen growth out of Mizzou's 30% drop if freshman enrollment so UMKC needs to stay DI, but without baseball as the Summit would and has demanded that they add it.
09-15-2017 04:21 PM
Advertisement

Clarity Offline
Special Teams

The Horizon and Valley have made it clear they have no interest in UMKC. They didn't even visit them this time around.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 04:27 PM by Clarity.)
09-15-2017 04:24 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(09-15-2017 04:24 PM)Clarity Wrote:  The Horizon or Valley have made it clear they have no interest in UMKC. They didn't even visit them this time around.

Mo St's president made it clear that they would be 12 teams in the MVC and one of them would be near Mo St. Either UMKC or ORU with an outside shot of UALR. Murray St wasn't chosen in May because it would leave their fb team in a scheduling bind, and the MVC offering in the fall would help the fb team get a new schedule.

The Horizon took IUPUI, which has been more atrocious then UMKC. UMKC, Omaha, SIUE are often discussed as one of the 12 to 14 teams in a new Horizon League. IPFW seems to be a shoe-in as well as Robert Morris.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 04:33 PM by NoDak.)
09-15-2017 04:31 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

IUPUI had actual winning seasons under Ron Hunter and made the tournament once. Even if they got in either they would go straight into the basement. It doesn't help their financial crisis at all. I would be shocked personally if they got in.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 04:34 PM by Clarity.)
09-15-2017 04:34 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Maybe Dollars other school that the WAC will add, comes into play!
09-15-2017 05:01 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

Never took that comment as if he had some inside knowledge on a particular school. I think he was just biging the conference up. I don't think any current D1 school would join the WAC unless they were getting booted out of their conference. That would be an insane move to leave a stable conference for an unstable WAC. It will have to be another D2 moveup I would guess.
09-15-2017 05:25 PM
Advertisement

RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

(09-15-2017 04:34 PM)Clarity Wrote:  IUPUI had actual winning seasons under Ron Hunter and made the tournament once. Even if they got in either they would go straight into the basement. It doesn't help their financial crisis at all. I would be shocked personally if they got in.

I wouldn't say UMKC has a financial crisis at all. In fact the student population is growing. The politicians just don't want to subsidize higher education to the same degree as other schools or even the state did 5 ten years ago. We have a very big cut spending, lower taxes, just don't take their guns government in Missouri right now. Missouri swing state politics goes trough phases so I hope the committee understands this and thinks 10-20 year down the road and if they want to make UMKC more like Wash U in St Louis or more like Missouri st. Either way I am fine.
09-15-2017 05:33 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
The WAC would be stable if they added two existing D1 schools.
I don't know who that would be but two schools that are currently unhappy would work.
Then losing a school or two would not matter.
They could have gotten NJIT and later added Liberty.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
09-15-2017 05:40 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I think all conferences have gotten over the "markets" and are looking for actual good teams now.

UMKC brings no market and they're sucky at basketball
Lots of other choices.
09-15-2017 07:55 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(09-15-2017 02:10 PM)Clarity Wrote:  Yeah this isn't surprising. They have been having some serious budget problems for a while and have had budget cuts and layoffs.. They have never found success, not in the Summit and not in the WAC. D2 seems much more likely than D1.

No one drops down to D2 from D1, so that is not going to happen. This is about money, as it always is. They were told to cut their athletic budget from $14.7 million to $13.2 million. So everything has to be on the table, but the reality is they need to just make the cuts and move on. The cuts are tough, but there is no choice.

It really comes down to choice of conference. UMKC has been very open about wanting an invite from the MVC. The MVC has been making noise about expanding to 12. The Horizon has been talking about moving to 12. These are moves that could affect the Summit. Any school jumping into the Summit has to know that the conference could lose schools.

The wise move for UMKC is to stay where they are at and continue their open campaign for a slot in the MVC. There is no point leaving the WAC for a Summit that could implode. Conference moves are costly and any move to the Summit could be short term. The Summit has a $1 million exit fee, so a short term move makes little sense. UMKC may be also asked to add baseball. For the MVC sure, for the Summit no.
09-16-2017 07:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.