Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Rises to #14 on US News & World Reports's Best Colleges
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Rice Rises to #14 on US News & World Reports's Best Colleges
Up from a tie for 15th last year, I believe this is our highest ranking since the late 1970s...

http://news.rice.edu/2017/09/12/rice-ris...book+links
09-12-2017 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

RE: Rice Rises to #14 on US News & World Reports's Best Colleges
Pretty sure we broke the top ten in the late 80s. Regardless, good news, much better than a few years ago when we feared dropping out of the top 20.*

*Yes, it's ridiculous that one publication's ranking system is so influential. But it is.
09-12-2017 09:01 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(09-12-2017 09:01 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  Pretty sure we broke the top ten in the late 80s. Regardless, good news, much better than a few years ago when we feared dropping out of the top 20.*

*Yes, it's ridiculous that one publication's ranking system is so influential. But it is.

If we could only get our giving participation rate up to the 38% - 40% range (vs. the low 30s where we've been stuck the past decade), we would likely be in the Top 10. Note-- most of the Ivies, Stanford and Notre Dame all boast participation rates of 40+%.
09-12-2017 09:09 AM
temchugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
Recent Trend:
2011: 17th (two way tie; 17-18)
2012: 17th (two way tie; 17-18)
2013: 17th (three way tie; 17-19)
2014: 18th (two way tie; 18-19)
2015: 19th
2016: 18th
2017: 15th (four way tie; 15-18)
2018: 14th (four way tie; 14-17)

Remarkably stable considering that US News tweaks their criteria in order to create change and draw attention.
09-12-2017 09:17 AM
JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
#3 in Best Undergraduate Teaching.

End of story.
09-12-2017 09:31 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Waiting for Red Dragon Coog to chime in......04-chairshot
09-12-2017 10:02 AM
Advertisement

ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
Need to boot Vandy out of there and I'll feel real good about this tie
09-12-2017 10:24 AM
Hou_Lawyer Offline
Bench Warmer

Awesome news. These rankings NEED to be front and center of the charitable solicitations and how important giving is.
09-12-2017 10:56 AM
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
It is a start. But only 16th best value? After having been the perennial number 1 best value for so long
09-12-2017 11:05 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

(09-12-2017 11:05 AM)Ranger Wrote:  It is a start. But only 16th best value? After having been the perennial number 1 best value for so long

Yeah, I have hated seeing the "keeping up with the Jones'" approach to tuition inflation. I know there are sociology studies showing that the old "you get what you pay for" saying applies to college academics as well. But at least Rice was #1 in something. Being in the teens is still good, but at that point, Rice is kind of lost in the crowd of really good schools who are also really good values. Much better to be elite in one category, IMO. Maybe there would be an argument in favor of the tuition increases if it had bumped Rice into the top 10. But kind of staying in the mid-teens while dramatically increasing tuition & costs hasn't really done anything positive (from my perspective).

I love Rice's size, but in retrospect, I'd rather add another 1,000 students and keep tuition much lower than peer institutions to maintain that #1 Best Value ranking, then what has happened (assuming it was a money thing). Rice could really sell itself if we were consistently ranked #1 Best Quality of Life, #1 Best Value, top-10 Happiest Students, and top-20 Best Academics.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 11:29 AM by mrbig.)
09-12-2017 11:16 AM
NYNightOwl Online
NYOwl

Here's something you wouldn't have bet on back in the 80's and 90's...
Rice ranked #19 for FOOD.

http://southwestfoodservice.com/news/ric...ranked-19/
09-12-2017 12:15 PM
Advertisement

75src Offline
All American

We would have to build more colleges to increase the undergraduate enrollment.

(09-12-2017 11:16 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(09-12-2017 11:05 AM)Ranger Wrote:  It is a start. But only 16th best value? After having been the perennial number 1 best value for so long

Yeah, I have hated seeing the "keeping up with the Jones'" approach to tuition inflation. I know there are sociology studies showing that the old "you get what you pay for" saying applies to college academics as well. But at least Rice was #1 in something. Being in the teens is still good, but at that point, Rice is kind of lost in the crowd of really good schools who are also really good values. Much better to be elite in one category, IMO. Maybe there would be an argument in favor of the tuition increases if it had bumped Rice into the top 10. But kind of staying in the mid-teens while dramatically increasing tuition & costs hasn't really done anything positive (from my perspective).

I love Rice's size, but in retrospect, I'd rather add another 1,000 students and keep tuition much lower than peer institutions to maintain that #1 Best Value ranking, then what has happened (assuming it was a money thing). Rice could really sell itself if we were consistently ranked #1 Best Quality of Life, #1 Best Value, top-10 Happiest Students, and top-20 Best Academics.
09-12-2017 02:51 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(09-12-2017 02:51 PM)75src Wrote:  We would have to build more colleges to increase the undergraduate enrollment.

We could've probably added one instead of a Leadership institute for $50 million.
09-12-2017 03:31 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(09-12-2017 02:51 PM)75src Wrote:  We would have to build more colleges to increase the undergraduate enrollment.

If I had won the half billion dollar lottery Wayne Graham College would be in the planning stages.
09-12-2017 03:41 PM
75src Offline
All American

Problem is that gift was restricted to the Leadership Institute.

My fear about the Leadership Institute is that the money could mostly be wasted on consultants like Zuckenberg's gift to the Newark Public Schools was.

(09-12-2017 03:31 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  

We could've probably added one instead of a Leadership institute for $50 million.
09-12-2017 04:51 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

My issue with the Doerr Institute is that the most interactions that an undergrad would have with it are through a "peer coach."

These peer coaches are more interesting in having it on their resume for whatever consulting job they're angling for post-grad than helping people. The real leaders on campus are too busy to participate in the silly program.
09-12-2017 05:03 PM
Advertisement

Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
(09-12-2017 03:41 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

If I had won the half billion dollar lottery Wayne Graham College would be in the planning stages.

Me too Loki. One of the all time greats. I don't think anyone else could have accomplished at Rice what he did.
09-12-2017 07:18 PM
Bailiff_Lingo_Bingo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice U
(09-12-2017 05:03 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  My issue with the Doerr Institute is that the most interactions that an undergrad would have with it are through a "peer coach."

These peer coaches are more interesting in having it on their resume for whatever consulting job they're angling for post-grad than helping people. The real leaders on campus are too busy to participate in the silly program.

if not undergrads, does it provide value to grad students/postdocs/faculty?
09-12-2017 09:45 PM
uhcoog27 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH
(09-12-2017 09:31 AM)JSA Wrote:  #3 in Best Undergraduate Teaching.

End of story.

That's something to be damn proud of. Nice job, Owls.
09-13-2017 09:13 AM
MartelOwl_08 Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
(09-12-2017 10:24 AM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  Need to boot Vandy out of there and I'll feel real good about this tie

Agreed.
Meanwhile, my VU alumni feed is touting their highest USNews ranking to date.. And having been there for graduate school, their undergrads as a whole do not impress me to the same level as my fellow Rice alumni did. The only reason VU does as well in the rankings as Rice is the wider array of highly-ranked graduate and professional degree programs that Rice does not have.. and those degree programs attract the best candidates within a 1-2 state radius because of the lack of notable competition within that radius.
09-13-2017 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.