Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to achieve the attendance pop (increased support)
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Shy How to achieve the attendance pop (increased support)
Beyond the P5 universities are moving up and investing in programs.

It's all for one reason, to achieve a pop in alumni support/interest. Pack the stadium , bring the donors in, build the facilities. All of which doesn't happen if a program is not winning.

Step 1: Move to a conference with a national TV deal. Without a consistent TV presence alumni won't carve out time for it.

Step 2: Hire a million dollar coach. Its very important from an alumni pride perspective have a coach that is well paid. A coach who is a good recruiter with charisma.

Step 3: Dominate your conference. This makes you the darling of your conference TV package, amplifying the impact of success.

Its not so much about what conference so long that you are in one, IMO.
09-04-2017 12:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
RE: How to achieve the attendance pop (increased support)
Well, you've solved it. I don't know why your not a AD somewhere.

/sarcasm
09-04-2017 02:08 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Incredible insight! I've emailed your post to Sean T. Frazier!
09-04-2017 02:20 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I can list a few schools who have done it.

Football (start drawing 25k+)
Boise State-WAC
Arkansas St-SBC
Marshall-MAC
Cincinnati-Big East

Basketball (start drawing 8k+)
Xavier-A10
VCU-A10
Wichita St-MVC

The combination of winning + increased TV presence did it for them.

It didn't take TV dollars, joining a tougher conference or upgrading academics to do it.

There are schools out there like JMU who thought it was too good for the SBC or UMass who left their football conference to preserve membership in a slightly stronger basketball conference have set their football programs back by doing so.

Coastal by moving to the SBC has put itself in the game. Will it work for Valpo in the Missouri Valley? Conference might be too diluted. But for both institutions those were really important moves.

The move of Xavier, Creighton, Butler to the Big East didn't do as much for their brands as dominating the A10, MVC and Horizon did. Gonzaga built a huge brand in the WCC.

If your an EKU or Belmont you've got to be looking at getting up and out of the OVC to something that will give you national exposure IMO.
09-04-2017 08:42 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2017 02:20 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Incredible insight! I've emailed your post to Sean T. Frazier!

The output of the football pop comes in two forms.

1) 25k plus football attendance with ticket prices pushing $50 dollars.
2) A large roll out of facilities.

This is in comparison to the high FCS level where its 12k/$12 dollar tickets.

NIU's home tickets are $30 for BC, EIU and Kent St. With surcharges and fees maybe $35 dollars. They've rolled out some nice facilities to follow up the winning.

If they don't win this season they need to bring in a higher profile coach to justify higher ticket prices.
09-04-2017 08:56 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Or do what SDSU does, have a fireworks show after the game.
09-04-2017 10:10 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(09-04-2017 12:01 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Beyond the P5 universities are moving up and investing in programs.

It's all for one reason, to achieve a pop in alumni support/interest. Pack the stadium , bring the donors in, build the facilities. All of which doesn't happen if a program is not winning.

Step 1: Move to a conference with a national TV deal. Without a consistent TV presence alumni won't carve out time for it.

Step 2: Hire a million dollar coach. Its very important from an alumni pride perspective have a coach that is well paid. A coach who is a good recruiter with charisma.

Step 3: Dominate your conference. This makes you the darling of your conference TV package, amplifying the impact of success.

Since it's said so much around here, I'll bring it up in this thread too: don't forget to account for CTE, but I guess that would apply more for schools wanting to move up as opposed to just getting an attendance pop
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 10:41 AM by DawgNBama.)
09-04-2017 10:35 AM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
College athletic teams have to be invited to join a conference. Unless you have pics of a conference commissioner and half of the presidents naked and helping a sheep over a fence, this isn't a choice.

You do know coaches are going to cash those checks right?
09-04-2017 10:45 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

All types of non-P5 situations.

-Programs stuck in conferences like the Southland or OVC which have to move into a conference with a national TV deal.

-Then you have programs in conferences with a national TV deal that can't compete in those conferences at a level required to draw interest.

-Another category are programs that have already had the pop like Southern Miss or Marshall. They are playing to maintain what they've built through the years.

-Finally programs still on the way up. There are quite a few of those in the SBC and CUSA. We don't know who the powers will be in those conferences 5, 10 years down the road.
09-04-2017 11:09 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
Actually, the OP forgot the true first step.

If you're private, just raise tuition which your department receives additional monies, but parents won't know the line item for intercollegiate athletics, or if you're public, generate a campus campaign for the students to raise their own (or future students) fees. Starting with $500+ in free money per each student goes a long way to prolong the con.
09-04-2017 01:39 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
You have to build a culture of support.

Very few schools actually have that and even some P5 schools do not.
09-04-2017 01:47 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(09-04-2017 01:47 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  You have to build a culture of support.

This.

Take Notre Dame. They're successful because of their 12,929 students, there's always at least 12,800 of them in the stadium on game day.
09-04-2017 05:32 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2017 01:39 PM)Renandpat Wrote:  Actually, the OP forgot the true first step.

If you're private, just raise tuition which your department receives additional monies, but parents won't know the line item for intercollegiate athletics, or if you're public, generate a campus campaign for the students to raise their own (or future students) fees. Starting with $500+ in free money per each student goes a long way to prolong the con.

That can be a sub step.
09-04-2017 06:31 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2017 05:32 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 01:47 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  You have to build a culture of support.

This.

Take Notre Dame. They're successful because of their 12,929 students, there's always at least 12,800 of them in the stadium on game day.

For them its a major honor to be at Notre Dame.

Top of all the catholic schools.
09-04-2017 06:33 PM
billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
(09-04-2017 12:01 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Beyond the P5 universities are moving up and investing in programs.

forgot the most important. Don;t let ESPN screw you into weekday night games on a regular basis
09-04-2017 10:45 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Is it worth chasing those ghost fans in today's CFB reality? Forget increased butts-in-seat attendance in G5 and definitely forget expanding bleachers to 40,000 plus nowadays, that ship has sailed. Those peeps are long gone and aren't going to show up outside of some pretty specific circumstances.

Now the best way for a G5 school to have a prominent program would be to A) Win, obviously and B) make sure the TV experience is top notch.

As in making sure the sidelines look good, the stands are crammed along the TV sight-lines, the social media is strong, make sure there are multiple camera angles, research assistants for the broadcasters, and state of the art broadcast facilities. And so on and so forth.

I think a NFL-level TV experience broadcast for a G5 program is the next natural step. For instance, MACtion: make it a broadcast laboratory with Twitter comments and instagram posts and Facebook likes and 4K HD and EyeVision cameras and SkyCam.

All of that is cheaper, and probably more effective, than trying to putt butts-in-seats.
09-05-2017 03:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.