UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Something something TheReturn Discussion
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Something something TheReturn Discussion
Surely I can't be the only one wanting to chat about the game.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 10:05 AM by BlazerMatt.)
09-02-2017 09:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Where the hell is everybody?
It was glorious!

Had to actually sit in our ticketed seats, right next to Shaq Jones Nation.

Loved the A&M band and Dancin' Divas, but it was a fine thing to see ours again, too.

The bus shuttle worked really well.

That was some prime prime rib at the tailgate.

Got to meet the future Smaug-in-law. Good addition.

Tim Alexander walked.

A Blazer Walk where I wasn't apologizing 82 separate times because ******* Ray Watts was too great of a moral coward to do his ******* job. That felt pretty good, too.

I saw Pumpkinhead, he even left the field from the exit closest to me, but I decided getting thrown out in the first five minutes of The Return would really suck.

We won the game! The younger Johnston is going to be really good.
09-02-2017 09:43 PM
scales Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U A B
Tremendous tailgate atmosphere today. I have been waiting 20 years for today.

Walked over to see Blazer Walk only to see that they walked right in front of my car on the way to the locker rooms. #dumb***

Great day, great win, Blazer Village rocked...college football has arrived on the Southside.

I cried.
09-02-2017 09:49 PM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
some of us are old and tired. after sam hunt and game day too tired to think
09-02-2017 09:55 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

ditto. Tired as crap after last night & today & just trying to chill for a while.

Clark's defensive knowledge is unreal & he hasn't forgotten anything. You could sense that he made some adjustments at halftime to totally shut down A&M.

Erdely was solid & we eventually were able to break it open in the 2nd half.

Good to see everyone again, including seeing the BT'ers from out of state.

Murry Bartow was sitting up in the club seats right below Scotty.

Marla was making rounds.

I like the new band director.

Great day & the attendance may shut up the naysayers for a few weeks.
09-02-2017 09:59 PM
RobSmith Offline
All American

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
This was the type of day/game where we have always "coog'd it" in the past (old school reference around here). We would take a great opportunity to make an impact, and find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

We had a wonderful performance in front of a wonderful crowd on a wonderful day for UAB. Historically...that wouldn't have happened.

A new day for UAB?
09-02-2017 10:10 PM
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

We took the free shuttle and loved it.

I was emotional walking toward the entrance gate sensing the sheer size of the crowd.

I was emotional watching Tim Alexander walk and deliver the game ball to mid field.

The new scoreboard/Jumbotron was very nice.

The UAB offense didn't click the first half.

The pick-six by #47 (Anthony Rush) was classic!

It was an incredible experience this afternoon.

My daughter and grandson enjoyed the concert last night.

The UAB defense played well.
09-02-2017 10:19 PM
CyberBlazer Offline
2nd String

(09-02-2017 10:10 PM)RobSmith Wrote:  This was the type of day/game where we have always "coog'd it" in the past (old school reference around here). We would take a great opportunity to make an impact, and find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

We had a wonderful performance in front of a wonderful crowd on a wonderful day for UAB. Historically...that wouldn't have happened.

A new day for UAB?

"Coog'd It"..Be careful. You'll date yourself
09-02-2017 10:28 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
The atmosphere was simply what we always thought it could be. It was amazing.

The defense is already in mid season form. Other than the one blown coverage AAMU simply couldn't do anything. They are big, physical and fast. We rotated a lot of guys out there and they seemed to mesh really well. We didn't blitz much and that's a good thing.

Offensively we had moments. AJ can really spin it. AAMU had 7-8 in the box after the first few plays and blitzed probably more than anyone I've seen in a long time. We had trouble picking it up several times and that will have to get cleaned up pretty quickly. Even so we were very vanilla on offense and we can start adding more to the playbook.

It was a good start to the season. As much as we've been through over the last 2.5 years and with all the emotion of today, for the next 3 months it's about actual football and that's a good thing.
09-02-2017 10:35 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-02-2017 09:43 PM)58-56 Wrote:  Got to meet the future Smaug-in-law. Good addition.

Actually, they married last Sunday. Fellow Marching Blazer alumnus. Baritone. Great guy.
09-02-2017 10:42 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

Legion Field looks pretty good with 45K in it.
09-02-2017 10:55 PM
Advertisement

imjustafatkid Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama/UAB/UNA
I'm hoping the offense figures things out before next week. Our defense won this game today.
09-02-2017 10:56 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The thing that really struck me today was just how nervous I was before the game. I became a UAB fan because of football. I went to UNA and grew up an Alabama basketball fan and had no football allegiance. It was only whenUAB went division 1 that I started going to games and fell in love with UAB. Because UAB football was my first love, I always got nervous before UAB football games in a way that I never really have for any but the biggest of basketball games.

Some how in the past couple of years I'd forgotten that. And since I had forgotten how nervous I always was before football games, It surprised me when I woke up this morning nervous as hell. Of course everything came flooding back, and served as a fresh reminder of what had been taken from me, from us (and really, from the bottom of my heart, F U Ray Watts.)

The tailgate was a blast, the best kind of family reunion. Good food, good fellowship, and the most joyous of occasions bringing the old gang back together along with some new faces. Yet my nerves remained.

I couldn't really enjoy the pregame because of the nerves. I watched the hype video and even the emotional presentation of the game ball with a kind of 1000 yard stare, aware of what was going on but unable to really react to it emotionally as I should because I needed to see my team in action. I needed to see it compete.

Of course that first half did nothing to calm my nerves, and only the overwhelming nostalgia of a couple of legion field hotdogs got me through halftime. Finally in the third quarter, Erdely threw that nice TD to Copeland and I was able to take my first deep breath of the day. Then, shortly after, Anthony Rush, that big beautiful mountain of a man, intercepted that pass and rumbled into the end zone. The nerves were gone, replaced with pure, unsullied joy. My Blazers were back and the smile hasn't left my face since. It was a great day, Among the best of days.
09-02-2017 11:03 PM
BlazerPhil Online
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
Great tailgate ! I hate we missed an hour of it with you guys due to a wreck on the interstate ahead of us. We got there in time to grab a bite & go in. Our compliments on the prime rib and chicken kabobs.

I was worried about our QB play before today. Now I think AJ may be the toughest guy on the team.

AAMU doesn't have or didn't bring enough defensive depth to keep our running game penned up for 4 quarter.

Our Dline stayed in the AAMU backfield all day. And it showed as the bulldogs were 1-14 on 3rd down.

I can't remember one procedure penalty on our guys, and that's a great feat considering our team hasn't played a game in 2 & 1/2 years. Our guys out manned AAMU, and we established AJ as our signal caller.

Today was a great day.
09-02-2017 11:06 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Well I'm tired & hurting but well worth the investment in the aches & pains. Many things did go wrong or not the best outcomes so hopefully that is fixed. Not the best played game but saw improvements but it was beautiful to behold.
09-02-2017 11:49 PM
LightEmUp70 Offline
Debt Free

I only got home little before midnight. An eight hit round trip for a four hour game will just about wear you out. I was hoping to spend some more time getting reacquainted with everyone, but my pregnant wife's early contractions put the brakes on an early arrival. I did really enjoy getting to talk to some of you in the short time we were able to stop by the tailgate (sorry I missed the others) as well as taking my father and son to their first UAB game. It may be next year before we make it back up there with a new baby in tow...maybe we'll get a discount on infant tickets by then. By the way, if anyone makes it down to Baldwin County, let me know. Is love to meet up for some good seafood.
09-03-2017 01:33 AM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(09-02-2017 09:49 PM)scales Wrote:  Tremendous tailgate atmosphere today. I have been waiting 20 years for today.

Walked over to see Blazer Walk only to see that they walked right in front of my car on the way to the locker rooms. #dumb***

We lined up with our best guess as to where a 6yo could see the Blazerwalk without having to push our way in. An official looking guy started waving us towards the middle of the lot (bt cars). "Go 2 rows over. They'll walk through there." We did.
Turns out we ended up being off by 2 rows, as they walked exactly where we were standing in the first place 03-banghead
09-03-2017 08:51 AM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
Thanks for sharing your experiences. For someone in a different hemisphere, I feel as if I lived the day through each of your eyes.

#BlazeOn
09-03-2017 09:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(09-02-2017 11:03 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  The thing that really struck me today was just how nervous I was before the game. I became a UAB fan because of football. I went to UNA and grew up an Alabama basketball fan and had no football allegiance. It was only whenUAB went division 1 that I started going to games and fell in love with UAB. Because UAB football was my first love, I always got nervous before UAB football games in a way that I never really have for any but the biggest of basketball games.

This post strikes a strong chord with me, because I had the exact opposite feelings. I was very much at peace, in a way I have too rarely experienced. I waged the fight, for my part, driven by memories of a girl who loved UAB, and later died. Ray Watts' assault on UAB was an assault on that memory. I disappointed her then, but I didn't disappoint her this time. Yesterday I saw a great deal of pain set aside and replaced by joy, in many hearts.

How often do you get to see that? Life is filled with pain, and loss, and sometimes we get another joy that eases it, but very rarely do we see it healed. Yesterday, I saw that. And I helped make that happen.

It was a very good day.
09-03-2017 09:33 AM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

RE: Something something TheReturn Discussion
(09-02-2017 10:10 PM)RobSmith Wrote:  This was the type of day/game where we have always "coog'd it" in the past (old school reference around here). We would take a great opportunity to make an impact, and find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

A new day for UAB?

Holy Bovine!!! Rob Smith has returned!!! Been missing your inputs, weatherwise and otherwise.
09-03-2017 01:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.