Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Targetting What is and isn't
Bookmark and Share
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Targetting What is and isn't
Tigers lose DL on targeting just because his helmet made contact with another players on the tackle and he did not put his head down or lead with it.

Yet Florida defender just led with his helmet and made helmet to helmet contact and the review said no targeting.

There needs to be an official third party review of these calls that can reverse the call during the games due to this inconsistent definition used by different crews.
09-02-2017 04:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

karter25 Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
RE: Targetting What is and isn't
(09-02-2017 04:09 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Tigers lose DL on targeting just because his helmet made contact with another players on the tackle and he did not put his head down or lead with it.

Yet Florida defender just led with his helmet and made helmet to helmet contact and the review said no targeting.

There needs to be an official third party review of these calls that can reverse the call during the games due to this inconsistent definition used by different crews.

Not sure about targeting but did you see the end of the Darlington race? I am here and the weather was great, racing was exciting and can't wait till tomorrow.
09-02-2017 05:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
just like our last meeting with UCF under Justin Fuente. THAT was a targeting no call.
09-02-2017 05:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
(09-02-2017 04:09 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Tigers lose DL on targeting just because his helmet made contact with another players on the tackle and he did not put his head down or lead with it.

I agree. I thought it was a BS call against Wilson. They player was not defenseless, he did not launch, and the did not hit with the crown. Just because helmets make
contact doesnt make it targeting. Refs got it right on the reversal for FL player, but did not with Wilson. Maybe, we are appealing to the conference.
09-02-2017 05:21 PM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2017 05:12 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  just like our last meeting with UCF under Justin Fuente. THAT was a targeting no call.

In my time, the type of hits like the one by UCF on Marquis Warford or the one by USF on BJ Ross got you a shout out by Jack Eaton and MORE playing time, not a suspension.
09-02-2017 05:32 PM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

Michigan and Florida both were flagged for obvious targeting penalties. Both involved leading with the crown of the helmet above the shoulders of a defenseless player. Both were overruled.

Memphis player flagged for targeting as a result a incidental contact with the QB's helmet by a defenders face mask after the defender went through the QB's shoulder.

The teams and the stage the game is played on have a great influence on how games are officiated and are the primary determinate of what is 'targeting'.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 05:39 PM by midtowncowboy.)
09-02-2017 05:33 PM
Advertisement

EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(09-02-2017 05:32 PM)TG4 Wrote:  
(09-02-2017 05:12 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  just like our last meeting with UCF under Justin Fuente. THAT was a targeting no call.

In my time, the type of hits like the one by UCF on Marquis Warford or the one by USF on BJ Ross got you a shout out by Jack Eaton and MORE playing time, not a suspension.

true, but with what we know now about CTE (and we're STILL learning about that btw), we have a duty to protect players.
09-02-2017 05:35 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Simple solution, and I get every argument about tough football and accidental and natural head banging.

Stop hitting the other team with your helmets.

To all teams out there.

And again, we get it and all the let them play stuff. Most of these penalties are correct. The kids just cannot stop themselves from that little extra I am a tough guy helmet lead. Stop it now. Simple.
09-03-2017 10:29 AM
FarFromHome Offline
2nd String

I Root For: dap systems

09-03-2017 10:44 AM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
Players have been taught from day to lead with their helmet which is a hard habit to break. It’s up to the coaches to make this change and start penalizing players for continuing to use this tactic.

The Jack Tatum (headhunter) days are over.
09-03-2017 11:23 AM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2017 10:29 AM)Mimi Wrote:  Simple solution, and I get every argument about tough football and accidental and natural head banging.

To all teams out there.

And again, we get it and all the let them play stuff. Most of these penalties are correct. The kids just cannot stop themselves from that little extra I am a tough guy helmet lead. Stop it now. Simple.

That's fine and dandy in theory, Mimi but, we're less than one generation removed from decades of players who were taught since grade school to square up and lead with the crown of your head. Football is an emotional and violent game and always will be. You can't just turn off a switch in the heat of the game.

But I'll give you a pass because I understand most academicians are really good at theory.
09-03-2017 11:26 AM
Advertisement

BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

When it starts causing teams wins in crucial games they’ll get the message. It’s obvious the refs are going to be looking for it more this season.

The rules have changed so either get with it or get hit with it.
09-03-2017 11:35 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
The teevee announcer called him Swamp Dog, or Swamp Doggie? I'm still fascinated by that moniker.

Anyway Swamp Doggie did great--made some key plays.

I kept watching the clock ---Our Defense was on the field too long. I can't find that stat because I don't know where to look.
09-03-2017 11:37 AM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
(09-03-2017 11:26 AM)TG4 Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 10:29 AM)Mimi Wrote:  Simple solution, and I get every argument about tough football and accidental and natural head banging.

To all teams out there.

That's fine and dandy in theory, Mimi but, we're less than one generation removed from decades of players who were taught since grade school to square up and lead with the crown of your head. Football is an emotional and violent game and always will be. You can't just turn off a switch in the heat of the game.

But I'll give you a pass because I understand most academicians are really good at theory.

“Those who can do, those who can't teach.”

― George Bernard Shaw
09-03-2017 11:42 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(09-03-2017 11:26 AM)TG4 Wrote:  

To all teams out there.

Never remember being taught to drop my head ever for fear of spinal injuries. So yea it is more than a generation

See what you hit was what I was taught
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 02:07 PM by macgar32.)
09-03-2017 02:06 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2017 10:44 AM)FarFromHome Wrote:  

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to see them cracking down on shots to the head but I still don't understand why some of these hits on the video are a foul. When a player doesn't launch and doesn't hit another player in the head, why is that a foul? There is an example of the LSU quarterback in the video taking a hit in the chest and the defender gets flagged.

A player from Purdue was ejected for a hit on Lamar Jackson last night. The defender did lower his head and hit Jackson within a second after him releasing the football. There was no way to pull up. The crown of his helmet hit Jackson in the chest. He didn't launch. He was just trying to make a play. We are going to be watching flag football in a few years.
09-03-2017 03:08 PM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

To all teams out there.

You miss the entire point of the thread. It is the inconsistency of the call which is the issue.

BOTH plays in the UM/Fla game were far more flagrant than Wilson's hit. Yet the officials over turned the targeting on those plays and Wilson is out for incidental contact to the side of the helmet with his facemask.

The issue is we need a baseline on which to declare what is or is not targeting and a review board to see if the targeting call is legitimate or just an over reaction by a crew.

It is clear that some crews are not interpreting the call the same as other crews are doing it. And it goes for TV crews also as both calls in the UM/Fla game were over turned and the announcers agreed with the over turn. While the TV crew in our game were quick to declare it targeting.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 09:53 PM by ncrdbl1.)
09-03-2017 05:05 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
(09-03-2017 03:08 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 10:44 AM)FarFromHome Wrote:  

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to see them cracking down on shots to the head but I still don't understand why some of these hits on the video are a foul. When a player doesn't launch and doesn't hit another player in the head, why is that a foul? There is an example of the LSU quarterback in the video taking a hit in the chest and the defender gets flagged.

A player from Purdue was ejected for a hit on Lamar Jackson last night. The defender did lower his head and hit Jackson within a second after him releasing the football. There was no way to pull up. The crown of his helmet hit Jackson in the chest. He didn't launch. He was just trying to make a play. We are going to be watching flag football in a few years.

I dont believe you can ever hit with the crown od the helmet, but especially against a defenseless player such as a QB who just passed the ball.
09-03-2017 05:41 PM
tigerderek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Sunshinepumpers
(09-03-2017 05:05 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

To all teams out there.

You miss the entire point of the thread. It is the inconsistency of the call which is the issue.

BOTH plays in the UM/Fla game were far more fragrant than Wilson's hit. Yet the officials over turned the targeting on those plays and Wilson is out for incidental contact to the side of the helmet with his facemask.

The issue is we need a baseline on which to declare what is or is not targeting and a review board to see if the targeting call is legitimate or just an over reaction by a crew.

It is clear that some crews are not interpreting the call the same as other crews are doing it. And it goes for TV crews also as both calls in the UM/Fla game were over turned and the announcers agreed with the over turn. While the TV crew in our game were quick to declare it targeting.

That's because the NCAA has too many bush league refs.
09-03-2017 09:26 PM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

My main issue with the call is when an offensive player lowers his body or bends and lowers his head and the defender has nowhere to make contact except for the offensive players head and still gets a targeting call.

Sent from my SM-G955U using CSNbbs mobile app
09-03-2017 09:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.