Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Catholic school removes Jesus statues to be 'more inclusive'
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Quote:Parents of students at a Catholic school in the San Francisco Bay area are protesting the board’s decision to remove and relocate more than 160 statues of Jesus, Mary and historic church figures from the campus in an effort to make the school more “inclusive.”

Shannon Fitzpatrick, who has an 8-year-old son at San Domenico School in San Anselmo told the local Marin Independent Journal that “articulating an inclusive foundation appears to mean letting go of San Domenico’s 167-year tradition as a Dominican Catholic school and being both afraid and ashamed to celebrate one’s heritage and beliefs.”

She said that during the time of her family’s association with the K-12 independent school, “the word ‘Catholic’ has been removed from the mission statement, sacraments were removed from the curriculum, the lower school curriculum was changed to world religions, the logo and colors were changed to be ‘less Catholic,’ and the uniform was changed to be less Catholic.”

The chair of the school’s board of trustees, Amy Skewes-Cox, explained to the local paper that the move was made to help non-Christian students feel more welcome.

“If you walk on the campus and the first thing you confront is three or four statues of St. Dominic or St. Francis, it could be alienating for that other religion, and we didn’t want to further that feeling,” she said.

The removal of a statue of Mary and the Christ child from the school’s center courtyard was especially troubling to parents.

Fitzpatrick said other families share her concern.

“Many parents feel if the school is heading in a different direction then the San Domenico community should have been notified before the signing of the enrollment for the following year,” she said.

Another parent, Cheryl Newell, told the Independent Journal the school is “trying to be something for everyone, and they’re making no one happy.”

Skewes-Cox told the Marin County paper the relocation and removal of some of the school’s 180 religious statues was “completely in compliance” with a new strategic plan approved unanimously last year by the board and the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael.

She said at least 18 remain, including a statue of St. Dominic at the center of the campus.

The trustees’ director insisted that while the removal coincides with the removal of Confederate statues across the United States, the issues are “totally different” and have “absolutely no connection other than it is change, and people have a hard time with change.”

http://www.wnd.com/2017/08/catholic-scho...5hvtB2e.99
08-26-2017 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Catholic school removes Jesus statues to be 'more inclusive'
Then they are not Catholic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app
08-26-2017 04:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
San Francisco, all you need to know
08-26-2017 04:27 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
I am sure Muslims, Buddhists, LDS and other non Christians will flock there now,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
08-26-2017 05:52 PM
Dragonlair2.0 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB
(08-26-2017 04:23 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
Quote:Parents of students at a Catholic school in the San Francisco Bay area are protesting the board’s decision to remove and relocate more than 160 statues of Jesus, Mary and historic church figures from the campus in an effort to make the school more “inclusive.”

Shannon Fitzpatrick, who has an 8-year-old son at San Domenico School in San Anselmo told the local Marin Independent Journal that “articulating an inclusive foundation appears to mean letting go of San Domenico’s 167-year tradition as a Dominican Catholic school and being both afraid and ashamed to celebrate one’s heritage and beliefs.”

She said that during the time of her family’s association with the K-12 independent school, “the word ‘Catholic’ has been removed from the mission statement, sacraments were removed from the curriculum, the lower school curriculum was changed to world religions, the logo and colors were changed to be ‘less Catholic,’ and the uniform was changed to be less Catholic.”

The chair of the school’s board of trustees, Amy Skewes-Cox, explained to the local paper that the move was made to help non-Christian students feel more welcome.

“If you walk on the campus and the first thing you confront is three or four statues of St. Dominic or St. Francis, it could be alienating for that other religion, and we didn’t want to further that feeling,” she said.

The removal of a statue of Mary and the Christ child from the school’s center courtyard was especially troubling to parents.

Fitzpatrick said other families share her concern.

“Many parents feel if the school is heading in a different direction then the San Domenico community should have been notified before the signing of the enrollment for the following year,” she said.

Another parent, Cheryl Newell, told the Independent Journal the school is “trying to be something for everyone, and they’re making no one happy.”

Skewes-Cox told the Marin County paper the relocation and removal of some of the school’s 180 religious statues was “completely in compliance” with a new strategic plan approved unanimously last year by the board and the Dominican Sisters of San Rafael.

She said at least 18 remain, including a statue of St. Dominic at the center of the campus.

The trustees’ director insisted that while the removal coincides with the removal of Confederate statues across the United States, the issues are “totally different” and have “absolutely no connection other than it is change, and people have a hard time with change.”

http://www.wnd.com/2017/08/catholic-scho...5hvtB2e.99

It's a catholic school or was till they removed all signs of Catholicism.
Seems dumb to piss off your customer. I am sure 90% of attendees are catholic or at least christian.
08-26-2017 07:07 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
I'm a dadgum atheist......that's as dumb as gets....

it's every day more stoooopid shite pops up....

jfc, people are so fk'n stupid.....

recipe:

add people

put them in any environment

tell half one thing and half the other

#alwaystasteslikeass

disclaimer: dem edibles is goooooooooooooooooooooood 03-wink
08-26-2017 07:24 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
03-drunk
08-26-2017 07:57 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I'm not Catholic but what say a Muslim would be going to a Catholic school. Who cares what They think when They see Catholic related statues in a Catholic school. Bet if You went to a school in the Middle East and were offended by Muslim related statues, You would be cained at the very least. Folks in this country need to grow up. That includes places like San Francisco. Politically correctness has it's place but not when everything has to change because some fool gets offended.
08-26-2017 08:59 PM
banker Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Interesting that they didn't do or announce this until they picked up this years tuition checks. Sounds like they're still Catholic to me.
08-26-2017 09:08 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Touchdown Jesus?
08-26-2017 09:10 PM
450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
(08-26-2017 04:27 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  San Francisco, all you need to know

Thought the very same thing...
08-26-2017 09:13 PM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
Pope Francis himself says that people don't even need Jesus for salvation to God. He says they can find it in Islam, Hindu or even atheism.

Jesus said I am the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE, and no one comes to the father but THROUGH ME.

Obviously pope Francis is teaching something far different than Jesus did.

The single most important point of Christianity is that Jesus is the ONLY way to salvation and the Father. If you are teaching otherwise and don't believe that, then you aren't a Christian. No matter what your given title or position is.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017 11:18 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
08-26-2017 11:00 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
This country has lost its collective mind and this is just one specific example of all the symptoms of the sickness that's enveloping us.
08-27-2017 08:56 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-27-2017 08:56 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  This country has lost its collective mind and this is just one specific example of all the symptoms of the sickness that's enveloping us.

Sounds like they should shut the school down. Or at least stop claiming to be Catholic.
08-27-2017 09:00 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(08-27-2017 09:00 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-27-2017 08:56 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  This country has lost its collective mind and this is just one specific example of all the symptoms of the sickness that's enveloping us.

Sounds like they should shut the school down. Or at least stop claiming to be Catholic.

or stop caving in to pressure from those more concerned with political correctness than true tolerance.
08-27-2017 09:18 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(08-27-2017 09:18 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

or stop caving in to pressure from those more concerned with political correctness than true tolerance.

i.e. if that is more important than your faith, you no longer have faith. They appear to be ashamed of it.
08-27-2017 09:22 AM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(08-27-2017 09:22 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-27-2017 09:18 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

i.e. if that is more important than your faith, you no longer have faith. They appear to be ashamed of it.

Exactly. #faithshaming
08-27-2017 09:39 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(08-26-2017 11:00 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Pope Francis himself says that people don't even need Jesus for salvation to God. He says they can find it in Islam, Hindu or even atheism.

Jesus said I am the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE, and no one comes to the father but THROUGH ME.

The single most important point of Christianity is that Jesus is the ONLY way to salvation and the Father. If you are teaching otherwise and don't believe that, then you aren't a Christian. No matter what your given title or position is.

The popes have always valued money more than a relationship with God. The difference with Francis is he's a leftist loon on top of being the pope.
08-27-2017 10:10 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(08-26-2017 11:00 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Pope Francis himself says that people don't even need Jesus for salvation to God. He says they can find it in Islam, Hindu or even atheism.

Did he really say that? The Bible is clear that there is only one way.

Now, it may be that God has ways we don't understand, but you can't be head of the Catholic Church and say, based on nothing, that there is another way.
08-27-2017 10:46 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

The pope said that? Really. Confused.
08-27-2017 10:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.