UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Municipal Elections and effects on stadium
Blazerstadium Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: an OCS
Municipal Elections and effects on stadium
Today Birmingham is electing new city officials. What effect could this have on the city building a new stadium? With no official announcements so far on when, what and how a stadium will be built, where does this leave the city?

I had hoped we would of had an announcement well before a week before we return to the field, but here we are, still wondering.
08-22-2017 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
RE: Municipal Elections and effects on stadium
Well, William Bell is currently losing. That is probably not a good thing for the stadium

Randall Woodfin is ahead 43% to Bell's 35%, with 58% of the boxes in.

This is the only thing I can find from him not behind a Birmingham Business Journal paywall regarding the BJCC project. This is from a Q&A thread on Reddit:

Quote:I have no problem with a dome or open-air stadium, but it should not be at the expense of the taxpayer when we can't even take care of basic services.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2017 09:29 PM by mixduptransistor.)
08-22-2017 09:21 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Woodfin also believes in free community college. Guessing of course after "basic services" are met.
08-22-2017 09:45 PM
Blazerstadium Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: an OCS
You would think if Birmingham were going to pull the trigger, now would be about as good as it could ever be. UAB support is high, and hopefully caries into the season, USL team announced, World Games coming up in 3 years, currently have bowl game as well as Magic City Classic.

If they want this stadium done by the World Games and used for that event, we need something firm so progress can be made.
08-22-2017 09:55 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2017 09:45 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Woodfin also believes in free community college. Guessing of course after "basic services" are met.

I think you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone (including me) that a football stadium for a university that has the money to pay for it is more important than education for systemically and chronically depressed inner city students

that said, the money for the BJCC is mostly lodging taxes that can't be spent on anything else, and is in partnership with the county and the BJCC, and the city doesn't control the schools (either k-12 or the community colleges) so he has zero levers to pull to make that happen. It's a nice platitude that will get him votes, but most of the things he wants to do are going to be non-starters. Woodfin winning stops the Birmingham revival.
08-22-2017 09:56 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(08-22-2017 09:56 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(08-22-2017 09:45 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Woodfin also believes in free community college. Guessing of course after "basic services" are met.

I think you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone (including me) that a football stadium for a university that has the money to pay for it is more important than education for systemically and chronically depressed inner city students

that said, the money for the BJCC is mostly lodging taxes that can't be spent on anything else, and is in partnership with the county and the BJCC, and the city doesn't control the schools (either k-12 or the community colleges) so he has zero levers to pull to make that happen. It's a nice platitude that will get him votes, but most of the things he wants to do are going to be non-starters. Woodfin winning stops the Birmingham revival.

Yeah part of the reason downtown has seen it's resurgence is the business community loves Bell.

Randall has said he's not opposed to a stadium, but wants other entities to "pay their fair share". He hasn't defined what that means. Based on comments made at the football facility ribbon cutting it sounds like Jefferson County is committed to funding a portion. Woodfin wants the state of alabama to pay a portion, but it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.
08-22-2017 10:08 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2017 10:08 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Randall has said he's not opposed to a stadium, but wants other entities to "pay their fair share".

that is how you say you're against the stadium without saying you're against the stadium. the city council will have to force the issue if he wins. hatton smith has his work cut out for him
08-22-2017 10:16 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I realize the importance of what he is promising, I just understand how likely that will happen.

Providing free services is great, providing opportunities for people to help themselves is better.
08-23-2017 06:43 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-23-2017 06:43 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Providing free services is great, providing opportunities for people to help themselves is better.

I think the argument (correctly) would be that providing an education is an opportunity for people to help themselves. Something about teach a man to fish etc etc. We're way off topic here so this is my last reply on the issue
08-23-2017 07:12 AM
uabbean Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Sorry but politics is usually about money, we need to know how "no scandal - Randall" got the large amount of money to push this TV slogan. His actual campaign statements appear moderate compared to other anti-Bell candidates about spending money on "central v neighborhoods".

The important question is the source of his money does it include "central/business interests(CBI)" or just anti-Arrington black leaders who want the city power base back, In the past both of these groups have sought CBI money. If no CBI money for Randall then the stadium might be in big trouble if Bell fails to make a comeback, Anyone Know?
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017 07:57 AM by uabbean.)
08-23-2017 07:55 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Bell still could win in the runoff just looking at the available votes however all of those votes also voted against Bell.
08-23-2017 08:26 AM
Advertisement

imjustafatkid Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama/UAB/UNA
(08-23-2017 07:12 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  I think the argument (correctly) would be that providing an education is an opportunity for people to help themselves. Something about teach a man to fish etc etc. We're way off topic here so this is my last reply on the issue

Funding isn't the problem with Birmingham's schools. They're the best-funded schools in the state because of local taxes diverted to the schools. Our state government provides some of the highest funding of any state in the country, so when local government chips in like Birmingham and Jefferson County both do, the schools are well-funded. Sure it looks good for a City Councilor to say they want to give more money to the school system, mostly because we have been fed the lie that the state doesn't provide enough funding to education, but until the inherent problems with the school system are fixed that isn't really helping anything. They should be seeking City Council members who want to abolish their elected school board and go back to an appointed board. That would do WONDERS for Birmingham's schools. The elections are only serving to get more and more unqualified people in charge of and micromanaging the school system.

What is really telling to me is the race for Board of Education where Larry Contri was a candidate. That guy worked in Birmingham's schools system for over 50 years, and worked in almost every department. He is more qualified to run a school system, and specifically Birmingham's school system, than anyone else on the dockets for any of the Board of Education seats, but he lost by almost 50 points. I hate to think the worst of anyone, but I have no clue why anyone wouldn't vote for someone with that much experience. That kind of voter apathy toward the school system is the problem with Birmingham's schools, not funding. No elected official is going to be able to fix that.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017 10:24 AM by imjustafatkid.)
08-23-2017 08:27 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I don't want to even hear about Birmingham not investing in education. Don't anyone go there because it has been happening since 2003.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017 08:47 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
08-23-2017 08:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Isn't the stadium a BJCC authority thing and not a Bham city thing?

I know Bham would possibly contribute some to the funding, but is that the only involvement needed by the city?
08-23-2017 08:53 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
It was diverting funds that are supposedly earmarked for a new facility anyway. Woodfin has stated that he wants those funds to go to the communities and that if a UAB is playing in the neww stadium UAB should help pay for it. Now that was him flapping his gums and who knows what will happen if he wins a runoff. Hopefully the movers and shakers can set him straight. A new facility generating positive revenue for the city will help put money back into the communities. Like I said no one can say with a straight face that Birmingham has NOT invested in education.
08-23-2017 08:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
imjustafatkid Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama/UAB/UNA
(08-23-2017 08:47 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I don't want to even hear about Birmingham not investing in education. Don't anyone go there because it has been happening since 2003.

Totally agree. Absolutely an argument could be made for misuse of funds, which goes back to the elected school board problem, but certainly not for lack of funds.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017 10:19 AM by imjustafatkid.)
08-23-2017 10:18 AM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Investing in education sounds great when campaigning, the fact that more has been invested without a return previously is brushed by the wayside.
08-23-2017 10:26 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
It was a rough day for the green and gold.

Kim Rafferty, who was fierce in her #FreeUAB support and FRW attitude, got 17% of the District 2 vote. She's in a runoff thanks to a divided field, but it's going to be hard to win when 83 percent of your constituents voted against you.

The only other incumbent in a runoff is Johnathan Austin, also very strong for us.
08-23-2017 12:41 PM
blazerfrombirth Offline
Special Teams

(08-23-2017 12:41 PM)58-56 Wrote:  It was a rough day for the green and gold.

Kim Rafferty, who was fierce in her #FreeUAB support and FRW attitude, got 17% of the District 2 vote. She's in a runoff thanks to a divided field, but it's going to be hard to win when 83 percent of your constituents voted against you.

The only other incumbent in a runoff is Johnathan Austin, also very strong for us.

There's a reason that 83% of her constituents voted against her. Kim lives in my neighborhood, and while I'm thankful for her support of UAB, she has done a less-than-stellar job representing and working for our district. It's time for a change.
08-23-2017 12:46 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Wouldn't be an issue if our president decided to stand up for our university.

He could twist arms at will should he so desire.
08-23-2017 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.